NBC Sports Edge Forums

Cam Newton 2020 Outlook

28 minutes ago, BadMoon said:

Am I really about to start Cam next week over Lamar Jackson?

It’s really between Cam, Russ, Lamar, Rodgers & Mahomes who is going to finish the year QB1 right now.

Kyler, Josh, Dak, Matty Ice would all like a word ...

that being said - HOLY. EFFIN. SHEET. CAM. 

give Hoodie time to fine tune this roster ... Cam stays upright and this is gonna blow people's minds.

Edited by pastorofmuppets2
  • Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

BLIND SQUIRREL FINDS NUT. I shall now receive your accolades.

Drafted him as my starter, for $2.  Because I didn't let 2 games played in 2019 mean more to me than the 123 games played in 2011, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17, and '18. This forum lives and dies on

Posted Images

54 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

Kyler, Josh, Dak, Matty Ice would all like a word ...

that being said - HOLY. EFFIN. SHEET. CAM. 

give Hoodie time to fine tune this roster ... Cam stays upright and this is gonna blow people's minds.

Yeah... inclined to agree with your sentiment.

What we're seeing right now is Cam learning the offense as he goes, with only a couple of months in the building... and a major lack of offensive talent around him.

That's absolutely insane.

Edited by CallMeBDB

Okay.  So, I am going to make three points here.  

1. Did Cam last night flinging that rock give you the Deshaun Watson 2017 vibe?  It sure did for me. 

2. As a Patriots' fan, it is very refreshing to see a quarterback who is willing to work with his young wide receivers.  We always talk about the Tom Brady trust tree and how that is keys to success as a Patriot.  Was the Tom Brady trust tree also one of the things keeping the Patriots from going to the next level?  Yeah...I know.  Could the Patriots get to another level of success?  Hard to imagine.  There is NO way in hell Tom Brady throws K'Neal Harry 11 targets.  There is no way Byrd sees as many targets as he did.  And, for some reason, Cam makes it look like they have some sort of chemistry.  Hell, Cam looks like he has some pretty good chemistry with Edelman.  Yes, there was some rust out there today but...*takes a deep breath*....dear lord, I think that Cam is going to absolutely tear the living **** out of the NFL this year with the weapons New England has.  

3. I'm concerned about the depth.  It is only a matter of time before guys start getting banged up.  Edelman was laying out for some grabs - dude is gonna break at some point.  Edelman, Harry, Byrd, Meyers.  Love these guys.  I think that is about as solid of a corps as the Patriots need to win it all.  Izzo seems to have a million times better chemistry with Cam than Brady.  Asiasi and Keene are poised to take some part of this offense eventually.  There is nothing keeping the Pats from adding White as a slot receiver and still having a Burkhead or Michel on the field.....there is a lot of options but it would be nice to have another stud in the rotation.  Olszweski will eventually be back in a few weeks...which adds some more speedy slot options.   ......as I type...I am starting to convince myself that there is enough depth at WR.  It is not household names but Cam doesn't need household names.  He seems to be the Young Receiver Whisperer and.....back to point 1 and 2.  

Oh.  League winner here. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, dudewithabadcat said:

Okay.  So, I am going to make three points here.  

1. Did Cam last night flinging that rock give you the Deshaun Watson 2017 vibe?  It sure did for me. 

2. As a Patriots' fan, it is very refreshing to see a quarterback who is willing to work with his young wide receivers.  We always talk about the Tom Brady trust tree and how that is keys to success as a Patriot.  Was the Tom Brady trust tree also one of the things keeping the Patriots from going to the next level?  Yeah...I know.  Could the Patriots get to another level of success?  Hard to imagine.  There is NO way in hell Tom Brady throws K'Neal Harry 11 targets.  There is no way Byrd sees as many targets as he did.  And, for some reason, Cam makes it look like they have some sort of chemistry.  Hell, Cam looks like he has some pretty good chemistry with Edelman.  Yes, there was some rust out there today but...*takes a deep breath*....dear lord, I think that Cam is going to absolutely tear the living **** out of the NFL this year with the weapons New England has.  

3. I'm concerned about the depth.  It is only a matter of time before guys start getting banged up.  Edelman was laying out for some grabs - dude is gonna break at some point.  Edelman, Harry, Byrd, Meyers.  Love these guys.  I think that is about as solid of a corps as the Patriots need to win it all.  Izzo seems to have a million times better chemistry with Cam than Brady.  Asiasi and Keene are poised to take some part of this offense eventually.  There is nothing keeping the Pats from adding White as a slot receiver and still having a Burkhead or Michel on the field.....there is a lot of options but it would be nice to have another stud in the rotation.  Olszweski will eventually be back in a few weeks...which adds some more speedy slot options.   ......as I type...I am starting to convince myself that there is enough depth at WR.  It is not household names but Cam doesn't need household names.  He seems to be the Young Receiver Whisperer and.....back to point 1 and 2.  

Oh.  League winner here. 

Newtons throws looked more impressive than Tom Bradys has. The passing attack was Amazing. They need to throw more IMO...

1 minute ago, SyNdicateZ said:

Newtons throws looked more impressive than Tom Bradys has. The passing attack was Amazing. They need to throw more IMO...

Flat out agree.  

Newton's throws looked amazing.  He looks like he has some of the swaggiest swag I have ever seen.  I'm literally waiting for him to screw up but he just keeps tossing, running, and swagging.  

Historically, the Patriots offense was a fine tune machine that could quickly move down the field with super efficiency.  Now, the Patriots offense looks like a fine tuned algorithm figuring out the best way to get down the field fast with super efficiency.  

How has no one commented on Cam's resurgence. And if you're wondering if you think the hype has reached ridiculous heights then I present this thread for confirmation. This guy thinks (and is vehemently justifying) Cam for Ekeler / Chark being a fair trade. 

12 hours ago, jmcampbe11 said:

How has no one commented on Cam's resurgence. And if you're wondering if you think the hype has reached ridiculous heights then I present this thread for confirmation. This guy thinks (and is vehemently justifying) Cam for Ekeler / Chark being a fair trade. 

See below, troglodyte.

On 9/21/2020 at 3:19 PM, next big thing cp84 said:

Stop. I can only get so aroused.

On 9/21/2020 at 1:57 PM, BGDDYKWL said:

I thought he was completely shot. Clearly I was dead wrong. He looked better last night than he has in years.  Barring injury he could conceivably end up the QB1. 

On 9/21/2020 at 1:10 PM, dudewithabadcat said:

Flat out agree.  

Newton's throws looked amazing.  He looks like he has some of the swaggiest swag I have ever seen.  I'm literally waiting for him to screw up but he just keeps tossing, running, and swagging.  

Historically, the Patriots offense was a fine tune machine that could quickly move down the field with super efficiency.  Now, the Patriots offense looks like a fine tuned algorithm figuring out the best way to get down the field fast with super efficiency.  

On 9/21/2020 at 11:54 AM, dudewithabadcat said:

Oh.  League winner here. 

• Like 2

The beauty of McDaniels and BB is that the offensive playbook is only going to expand as the season goes along.  Cam is going to have more and more to work with.  I'm being optimistic here but I also see an increase in the amount of weapons for Cam.  Hopefully we see Dalton Keene and Devin Asiasi emerge. Keene can be a highly versatile FB/TE combo.  Asiasi is a great seam running TE.  If Damien Harris can get healthy...he is like a more talented Burkhead.  Hopefully Harry and Byrd keep growing....

...I reeeeeaaaalllly like the Pats offense right now.  I think it is ripe for a lot of points. 

Newton didn't look old at all. I watched the whole game, as well as his previous two. He's looked healthy, fresh, strong, and hungry. Earlier in the game he had a nice run where he plowed through one of the LV linebackers for a good 3 or 4 yards when he should of been tackled.

The team didn't need to lean on Cam as much tonight. Early on LV was stopping the run, but then they went on to get gutted rest of the game. They just couldn't stop the NE running game and Cam and their WRs didn't need to chip in much. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, tonywow said:

Newton didn't look old at all. I watched the whole game, as well as his previous two. He's looked healthy, fresh, strong, and hungry. Earlier in the game he had a nice run where he plowed through one of the LV linebackers for a good 3 or 4 yards when he should of been tackled.

The team didn't need to lean on Cam as much tonight. Early on LV was stopping the run, but then they went on to get gutted rest of the game. They just couldn't stop the NE running game and Cam and their WRs didn't need to chip in much. 

I love newton just not for fantasy.  He’s more of a steaming option.  Some weeks you’ll get 20-25, then there’s some you’ll get 10–15.  He’s a great addition too a team that rosters two good qb’s and did their research and go well with each other’s soft/hard matchups.

someone in this thread wrote that they traded Todd gurley for Cam earlier, I wish that I could get a rb2 all day for a qb not named Lamar, Wilson, Dak, Mahomes, Kyler, and Allen who are all matchup proof. After that everything else is stream worthy Rodgers,Can, Brees, Stafford, Wentz, big ben.... QBs like this net rb3’s wr3’s.  

Edited by Brye
2 hours ago, Brye said:

I love newton just not for fantasy.  He’s more of a steaming option.  Some weeks you’ll get 20-25, then there’s some you’ll get 10–15.  He’s a great addition too a team that rosters two good qb’s and did their research and go well with each other’s soft/hard matchups.

someone in this thread wrote that they traded Todd gurley for Cam earlier, I wish that I could get a rb2 all day for a qb not named Lamar, Wilson, Dak, Mahomes, Kyler, and Allen who are all matchup proof. After that everything else is stream worthy Rodgers,Can, Brees, Stafford, Wentz, big ben.... QBs like this net rb3’s wr3’s.  

I was wondering when the bad takes would start rolling in.

Bud, I have some bad news for you, none of those guys you mentioned are going to be putting up 30+ a game every week and a healthy Cam Newton is in a situation where he can finish above all of these guys by seasons end.

We saw that he can carry a game with his legs in week 1, and we saw he can carry a game throwing for 400+ yards. There's not much more you can ask for in a QB. He's definitely not a a one dimensional streaming QB like the ones you mentioned.

Edited by n4sa
7 hours ago, n4sa said:

I was wondering when the bad takes would start rolling in.

Bud, I have some bad news for you, none of those guys you mentioned are going to be putting up 30+ a game every week and a healthy Cam Newton is in a situation where he can finish above all of these guys by seasons end.

We saw that he can carry a game with his legs in week 1, and we saw he can carry a game throwing for 400+ yards. There's not much more you can ask for in a QB. He's definitely not a a one dimensional streaming QB like the ones you mentioned.

Newsflash. Jackson, Mahomes, Murray, and Allen can also carry a game with BOTH their arms and their legs and they're considerably younger than Newton. You can talk potential all you want, but Newton "literally" put up 11 fantasy points this week. I'm not willing to go as far as to say he's just a streaming option, but there's is no argument for him being better than Jackson, Mahomes, Murray, Allen and Prescott at this point. And I'd personally probably take Watson over him too. So that makes him 6th or 7th best fantasy quarterback AT BEST. 

10 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

Newsflash. Jackson, Mahomes, Murray, and Allen can also carry a game with BOTH their arms and their legs and they're considerably younger than Newton. You can talk potential all you want, but Newton "literally" put up 11 fantasy points this week. I'm not willing to go as far as to say he's just a streaming option, but there's is no argument for him being better than Jackson, Mahomes, Murray, Allen and Prescott at this point. And I'd personally probably take Watson over him too. So that makes him 6th or 7th best fantasy quarterback AT BEST. 

I completely forgot about Russell Wilson. So that means that Newtons's the 7th or 8th best QB (at best).