NBC Sports Edge Forums

TY Hilton 2020 Outlook

Just now, TheDoctor said:

Didn't he drop a 44 yard TD? I mean I'm probably not playing him, but I'm not going to straight drop him. 

Dropped him after week 1 in my league, and he's still sitting in free agency. He's going to be as boom or bust as it gets. Likely a poor man's DeSean Jackson. 

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Guy had 9 targets week one and played 90% of snaps. Week 2 he had 5 targets and 50% of snaps and the game was over before it began. Hard to make sweeping conclusions about him. If he catches that

This guy seems pretty optimistic ROS for Hilton.   

Or he had a bad two games and he’s due for positive regression to the mean. Also, their second best receiver is out indefinitely so more opportunities to come.    hope it works out for you but

Posted Images

The training camp was roaring how good Hilton and rivers were, connecting and in sync with each other. This hasn’t translated to real games which is a concern. I could be wrong but it appears the colts are becoming a run heavy team and guess who are the best WR blockers on the team? It’s pascal and Pittman where Hilton is on the sidelines.

if Hilton doesn’t shred this jets defense, I won’t be able to trust him going forward. 

Edited by Leopard
On 9/21/2020 at 8:49 AM, oliminator123 said:

Dropped him after week 1 in my league, and he's still sitting in free agency. He's going to be as boom or bust as it gets. Likely a poor man's DeSean Jackson. 

Oof...that’s like slummin-in-a-3rd-world-country poor. 

On 9/21/2020 at 6:49 AM, oliminator123 said:

Or he had a bad two games and he’s due for positive regression to the mean. Also, their second best receiver is out indefinitely so more opportunities to come. 

hope it works out for you but that seems like a silly drop in a league less than 12 teams. And if you are in a league with less than 12 teams... well that’s fun.

Edited by hangin n wangin
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Anyone actually watch Colts games to see how he looks? According to rotoworld blurbs, he's still "separating", but you know how bad those things are. I know he's had three horrendous drops (a couple TDs) so obviously his numbers should be better.

Edited by hangin n wangin

Phil has always operated best with bigger bodied cats (VJax, and to a lesser extent Mike Williams & a very brief tenure with star crossed Donario Alexander ) or more physical WRs than T.Y. (Keenan)

closest profile to Hilton would be Travis Benjamin ... now we all know that T.Y. is a far greater talent than TBenji, but the point still stands ... Cox is the new Gates, Pittman can be the new big bodied prototype - dunno about Hilton ... this is not looking like the greatest fit thus far. 

• Like 2

"If Hilton can't connect with Philip Rivers here, then when can he?! The Jets secondary has been graded fourth-worst by Pro Football Focus through two weeks thanks in part to four receiving scores allowed (just one to a receiver but two to tight end Jordan Reed last week, who is more like a receiver than a tight end). Hilton literally had a 44-yard touchdown bounce off his wide-open chest last week -- if he catches that like normal, no one's freaking out about him. He's still running with very good speed and quick feet in and out of his cuts. Five deep targets from Rivers over 14 total targets suggests more deep shots are on the horizon."

That was a write up by cbs sports about him. This is a big week to see what we're going to get out of him. He's playing a beatable secondary. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Guy had 9 targets week one and played 90% of snaps. Week 2 he had 5 targets and 50% of snaps and the game was over before it began. Hard to make sweeping conclusions about him.

If he catches that 50 yard TD last week it's a totally different conversation. Think he evens out this week. Really don't think demise has already come. 

• Like 6
2 minutes ago, TheDoctor said:

Guy had 9 targets week one and played 90% of snaps. Week 2 he had 5 targets and 50% of snaps and the game was over before it began. Hard to make sweeping conclusions about him.

If he catches that 50 yard TD last week it's a totally different conversation. Think he evens out this week. Really don't think demise has already come. 

I hope you are right, I passed on a trade offer for Chark 😣

This is the definition of a "get right" matchup. It's obvious that TY and Popgun Phil aren't quite on the same page. That should change this week, especially with Parris Campbell going on the IR.

Kind of serves as a reminder of the dangers of drafting receivers with new QBs/on new teams (particularly during pandemic-affected offseasons) but I've been fortunate that TY is a WR3 for me and haven't had to even consider slotting him in yet. 

A bit of patience should pay off here.

The positive is it doesn't seem like Hilton is washed by any means, and he's actually healthy for the first time in forever.  It's been ugly so far and I'm not playing him until he shows signs of life, but I'm optimistic that he can still be useful for fantasy.

Like uther's have mentioned he catches that 44 yard TD and it's another story, and with the game being out of hand he didn't play much to begin with.  He and Phillip were clicking in camp and we just have to hope it eventually starts showing up on game day.

Glass half full says to chalk up the first two weeks to effectively being preseason.

• Like 1

"

Few things in life will help one break out of a slump faster than the feedback provided by a loved one.

In the case of Colts receiver T.Y. Hilton, that slump has been the start to the 2020 season.

Hilton admitted Thursday that he hasn't been playing up to his usual standards. But, heading into Week 3's game against the Jets, the multi-time Pro Bowler said he's in better spirits after having a conversation on Monday night with a supporter who's likely more observant and honest than any coach or scout in the organization: His grandma.

"She just always keeps it 100 with me," Hilton said, via the team's official website. "She always shoots it straight with me and lets me know what's up. She's my rock, she's my heart, and she called me and told me that the person that she seen on TV wasn't her grand baby. She knew that that wasn't me. So, you know, it hurt me for her to tell me that, but she's always kept it real.

"She said, 'You look frustrated,' and that's not the way I play this game," he added. "I'm always happy, always excited. So I'm back to being me. I'm good."

Through two games, Hilton has a combined seven catches (14 targets) for 81 yards and no scores -- his fewest yards ever in that span -- plus a couple of crucial dropped passes the wideout is normally trusted to haul in.

As the team's top receiver, it's no secret that Hilton is an important piece, even more so with the injuries the Colts offense has already sustained. Perhaps the heart-to-heart will be the spark Hilton needs to take a page out of grandma's book and start cooking on Sunday.

NFL.com

• Like 1

if he faceplants this week we should re-evaluate his start/flexing or rostering status but i think Hilton has built up enough equityof his past seasons for 3-4 game leash before being jettisoned/benched.

Most likely he's most a WR3/flex on most squads.  If he busts this week , bench him until you need him for byes. He'd be top end bye week reciver . 

Personally  no one should consider dropping him as long as his targets remain in the 5-10 range.  He'll be scooped immediately.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JetsAwesome said:

if he faceplants this week we should re-evaluate his start/flexing or rostering status but i think Hilton has built up enough equityof his past seasons for 3-4 game leash before being jettisoned/benched.

Most likely he's most a WR3/flex on most squads.  If he busts this week , bench him until you need him for byes. He'd be top end bye week reciver . 

Personally  no one should consider dropping him as long as his targets remain in the 5-10 range.  He'll be scooped immediately.

I just scooped him up this morning.  He was dropped in my 10 team standard league.  With Campbell out long term TY should be guaranteed a steady supply of targets.  Hope he can do something with them.  

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, zen25 said:

Time to drop him in smaller 10 team leagues?

I have him in several teams, he is not able to produce now with Parris Campbell out and Pitman/Pascal are breathing down his neck. Feel like I am wasting a bench slot.

I know we're getting to a point where we're wondering when the excuses stop, but it was the Jets.  I started him reluctantly figuring that Colts would be up big early and throw minimally.  Two defensive TDs, and the Jets couldn't answer.  The next three teams they face are a bit more competent and will hopefully force the Colts to throw more.

With that being said I think his upside is probably limited these days, and because of having an apparently decent defense and run game I guess we're seeing the floor isn't that great either.  I feel like I'm actually not making a great case for keeping him in ten team leagues, lol, though in mine I shall.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

TY doesn't looked washed per say but his QB sure does and they don't seem to have any chemistry as well.  Not on same wavelength.  They've also been going run heavy, this offense doesn't look like it's going to be pass heavy anymore.

Edited by JetsAwesome