NBC Sports Edge Forums

Mike Evans 2020 Outlook

1 minute ago, collucho said:

image.png.857d996aeabb94a73b7b83fdcac1f0a1.png

I'd say this is a positive development. 

Makes me want to start him next week. He went off against Carolina last time, and it's hard to believe Tom won't find him this week after those comments.

• Like 1
  • Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

QUICK EVERYONE GET IN HERE GODWIN FRACTURED FINGER WE BACK 

.....and Evans murdered him. 1)  Evans gets past the initial contact and gets open for a catch. 2) Evans burns him bad. Brady underthrows Evans.  Even the announcers say, "Well Bradberry was

You can’t question his toughness. He’s a warrior out there.

Posted Images

Such a brilliant tactic by a head coach. Publicly criticizing your QB with passive aggressive comments...lol

Maybe Tom should come out and say "Yeah it was tough getting killed out there while my coaches dialed up only deep pass attempts while ignoring the short-intermediate game, which then made it easier for New Orleans to pin their ears back and get through for pressure."

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Pooskay said:

It's usually a good sign when the coach vouches/complains for a WR.

Expecting a bounce-back game for Evans.

Hope so...I just have TD dependent WR3 hopes right now for him, like Slayton...but this offense in theory should be much better. Evans may be getting the higher variance targets now but he's got the talent to bring them down. 

The team is stupid and Brady apparently thinks parity in targets it the most important thing. 

Have one WR who barely knows the playbook?  Throw it his way in first half.  Other guy playing with nine fingers like he is Jason Pierre-Paul?  Make sure he gets those targets too.

If Brady was lighting it up to those guys who could fault him?  He wasn't, he wasn't even as good as Nick Foles last week.

Target breakdown at halftime:

RECS YARDS AVG TD LONG              TARGETS
Chris Godwin 2 27 13.5 0 20 5
Mike Evans 1 22 22.0 0 22 1
Antonio Brown 2 16 8.0 0 10 4
Tyler Johnson 1 11 11.0 0 11 1
Leonard Fournette 2 9 4.5 0 7 2
Ronald Jones II 2 9 4.5 0 5 2
Rob Gronkowski 1 2 2.0 0 2 4
Scotty Miller 0 0 0.0 0 0 2
TEAM 11 96 8.7 0 22 22

Mike Evans QB

2014 - McCown/Glennon

2015 - Winston

2016 - Winston

2017 - Winston/Fitz

2018 - Winston/Fitz

2018 - Winston

2019 - Winston

2020 - Brady

NFL records

• Most seasons of 1,000 yards receiving to begin a career - 6 (tied with Randy Moss)
  • Youngest player to reach 7,000 career receiving yards - (26 years, 81 days)
  • Youngest player to reach 6,000 career receiving yards - (25 years, 131 days)
  • Youngest player to have 5 seasons of 1,000 receiving yards - (25 years, 95 days)
  • Youngest player to have 6 seasons of 1,000 receiving yards - (26 years, 95 days)
  • Youngest player with 200 or more yards in a game - (21 years, 87 days)

Buccaneers franchise records

• Most receiving touchdowns in a season - 12 (2014, 2016)
  • Most receiving touchdowns by a rookie in a season - 12 (2014)
  • Most consecutive games with at least 1 touchdown reception - 5 (2020)
  • Most games of 100 yards receiving in a career - 25 (2014-present)
  • Most receiving yards per game in a career - 79.2 (2014-present)
  • Most consecutive 1,000 yard receiving seasons - 6 (2014-present)
  • Most seasons of 1,000 yards receiving - 6 (2014-present)
  • Most receiving touchdowns in a career - 52 (2014-present)
  • Most receiving yards in a career - 7,368 (2014-present)
  • Most receiving yards in a season - 1,524 (2018)
  • Most receptions in a career - 472 (2014-present)

Evans currently on pace for 777 yards this year.

• Like 1

I think the slot snaps are better news for Evans ROS than any of the coach speak. It just seems like Brady isn't going downfield really at all outside of an odd shot to Gronk (who is so slow it takes him 2 days to run 50 yards).

Brady has been targeting Evans all season on short routes in the red zone. Hopefully that slot usage continues. Let Brown have the outside as Brady rarely throws that way. A lot of stuff seems to be short-intermediate in the middle of the field.

Edited by LongBalls
15 minutes ago, Sternes said:

The team is stupid and Brady apparently thinks parity in targets it the most important thing. 

Have one WR who barely knows the playbook?  Throw it his way in first half.  Other guy playing with nine fingers like he is Jason Pierre-Paul?  Make sure he gets those targets too.

If Brady was lighting it up to those guys who could fault him?  He wasn't, he wasn't even as good as Nick Foles last week.

TEAM 11 96 8.7 0 22 22

So now he’s spreading it evenly to everyone? Last night in the game day thread you complained (incorrectly) that Brady was only force feeding to AB and Miller? Which is it?

5 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

So now he’s spreading it evenly to everyone? Last night in the game day thread you complained (incorrectly) that Brady was only force feeding to AB and Miller? Which is it?

No, it was AB and Godwin.  1 guy has been on the team 10 days and doesn't know the playbook, the other had surgery on Tuesday for his finger.  Between the two of them, 9 targets out of 22.  Throw in Gronk with a bad shoulder, and that is 4.  Meanwhile, Evans, the BEST WR ON THE ROSTER, had 1 in the first half.  Evans have the targets of Miller and Johnson is a joke. That is why Brady's coach called him out.

I'm not surprised you don't remember correctly.

Edited by Sternes
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Sternes said:

No, it was AB and Godwin.  1 guy has been on the team 10 days and doesn't know the playbook, the other had surgery on Tuesday for his finger.  Between the two of them, 9 targets out of 22.  Throw in Gronk with a bad shoulder, and that is 4.  Meanwhile, Evans, the BEST WR ON THE ROSTER, had 1 in the first half.  Evans have the targets of Miller and Johnson is a joke. That is why Brady's coach called him out.

I'm not surprised you don't remember correctly.

Nope. You said they were force feeding AB and Miller all season. I then responded with “uh AB hasn’t even been there all season.” I remember it exactly how it unfolded but if you want to move the goalposts, have at it.

Based on your comments the past few days as an Evans owner, I’m not the least bit surprised that you don’t remember (or won’t admit it) because it directly contradicts your post here.

Try to stay consistent. Good luck!

EDIT: And either way, if you said Godwin and AB are the ones being force fed (not what you said), it still contradicts your comment here tonight about the ball being spread evenly 😂 😂 😂 .

Edited by ThreadKiller
  • Like 1
46 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

Nope. You said they were force feeding AB and Miller all season. I then responded with “uh AB hasn’t even been there all season.” I remember it exactly how it unfolded but if you want to move the goalposts, have at it.

Based on your comments the past few days as an Evans owner, I’m not the least bit surprised that you don’t remember (or won’t admit it) because it directly contradicts your post here.

Try to stay consistent. Good luck!

EDIT: And either way, if you said Godwin and AB are the ones being force fed (not what you said), it still contradicts your comment here tonight about the ball being spread evenly 😂 😂 😂 .

What I highlighted, never happened.  I even looked at the thread.  The thread even starts with AB as the first post.  How on Earth would I not know this was AB's first game?

Maybe it is your memory that is off. Why would I not know AB hasn't been there all year when I stated it multiple times within the thread?

22 hours ago, Sternes said:

I get it if you started him.  From someone who didn't, IDK why he is even on the field.  His finger looks bad.  It isn't a do-or-die situation.  They have other WR options.  IDK why the team is rushing back when they can have AB come in and his 32 year old self take some knocks in his place.

21 hours ago, Sternes said:

Brady mental dialogue:  "Man, this #13 is pretty good. Did Arians promote him from the practice squad?"

AND JUST LIKE THAT THE AB FORCE ENDS IN INT!

21 hours ago, Sternes said:

Just want to point this out.  Not only Brady's targets, but he also that he is forcing it to AB who has been on the fricking roster since Oct, 27th.  How on earth could the guy possibly know the playbook?  Doesn't matter.  Brady still going to force it to him.  Other guy has broken finger? Doesn't matter.  Gronk going deep?  Chuck it up because, hey, Evans can't get separation (per some people), Gronk must be better at it.  Brady is a donkey.

REC YDS AVG TD LONG TGTS
TEAM 11 96 8.7 0 22 22

Right, because a game pace of Godwin getting 10 targets, AB 9, Gronk 8, and Evans 2 makes sense and is "parity".

Edited by tonycpsu
  • Haha 1

I would like to take a look at Brady's target distribution because my suspicion is he's not necessarily locking onto receivers, but instead locking in on certain short-to-intermediate routes over the middle of the field. Evans wasn't running those much at all to start the year except in the red zone (more shorter fades though). Wouldn't surprise me if NO identified that and shut those routes down; so Arians rotated Evans into the slot to switch things up.

Edited by LongBalls

@Sternes

My mistake, it was Lvsaint who said Brady was forcing the ball to AB and Miller all year which was obviously incorrect. Sorry about the misunderstanding on that, that’s my bad.

You DID however say that Brady was forcing it to AB last night (also incorrect), which you then proceeded to contradict in your post this evening complaining about how Brady was spreading the ball around too much.

So which opinion are ya sticking with here? The one you had last night where Brady was force feeding AB (not true) or the one where Brady was spreading the ball around fairly evenly?

Edited by ThreadKiller
20 hours ago, ThreadKiller said:

@Sternes

My mistake, it was Lvsaint who said Brady was forcing the ball to AB and Miller all year which was obviously incorrect. Sorry about the misunderstanding on that, that’s my bad.

You DID however say that Brady was forcing it to AB last night (also incorrect), which you then proceeded to contradict in your post this evening complaining about how Brady was spreading the ball around too much.

So which opinion are ya sticking with here? The one you had last night where Brady was force feeding AB (not true) or the one where Brady was spreading the ball around fairly evenly?

1) Honestly, I have no idea why you are even posting in this thread.  You don't even talk about Evans. 

2) Brady was forcing it to Brown.  Notice my post clearly states the targets at halftime.  In fact him forcing it to Brown caused the INT at the end of the half.

3) Brady continues to treat guys as equals when they aren't.  Why was Mickens getting fed last week?  Why was Brown and Godwin getting looks when Evans was the better option this week?

4) In the first half, Godwin got more targets and has a broken finger; Brown got more targets and doesn't even know the playbook.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
21 hours ago, LongBalls said:

I would like to take a look at Brady's target distribution because my suspicion is he's not necessarily locking onto receivers, but instead locking in on certain short-to-intermediate routes over the middle of the field. Evans wasn't running those much at all to start the year except in the red zone (more shorter fades though). Wouldn't surprise me if NO identified that and shut those routes down; so Arians rotated Evans into the slot to switch things up.

Here is a video of some of the plays.  I wish I had an every play breakdown of all his throws as I know it is a small sample size.    He is clearly locking on to who is going to throw to and not scanning the field.

• Thanks 1
On 11/9/2020 at 3:19 PM, Sternes said:

TEAM 11 96 8.7 0 22 22

It's not nearly as simple as Brady spreading the wealth. Evans is not fully healthy and does not mesh well with Brady's game or philosophy. The hope was that he would be produce a poor man's Randy Moss '07 type of season. Those hopes went out the window with Evans' early season injuries, Brady's refusal to pepper him with targets and now the inclusion of Antonio Brown.  It's a mix of negative factors that's unlikely to lead to consistent high end production under any circumstances. As he starts to get closer to 100 percent Big Mike will put up some big games but the stinkers will be there even more than usual for him.

Sadly, I miss Winston slinging the ball downfield and letting Mike go get it.  Brady doesn't want to take hits and gets rid of the ball before Mike even gets to the intermediate level.  I keep trotting him out there thinking that this is the week he gets 220 and 2 tds but seems to more of dream than a reality.

• Like 4
On 11/13/2020 at 8:17 PM, Jetdog16 said:

It's not nearly as simple as Brady spreading the wealth. Evans is not fully healthy and does not mesh well with Brady's game or philosophy. The hope was that he would be produce a poor man's Randy Moss '07 type of season. Those hopes went out the window with Evans' early season injuries, Brady's refusal to pepper him with targets and now the inclusion of Antonio Brown.  It's a mix of negative factors that's unlikely to lead to consistent high end production under any circumstances. As he starts to get closer to 100 percent Big Mike will put up some big games but the stinkers will be there even more than usual for him.

Evans is far healthier than he was during the cripple game.  He got fed that game. In fact, that was his best game of the year.  I swear he discussed this a few pages back.  He got solid work on the TNF just four days later and he was limping all over the field.  When he tried to dig in to block you could see it bothered him.  The injury part isn't an argument for his lack of work.

I agree that Evans does not mesh well with Brady's game or philosophy in general.  Then you watch the games and he is firing deep balls to Gronk (and missing), to AB on a Go route, and peppering Scotty Miller in week's past like HE is Randy Moss on sideline deep balls that he usually didn't come up with (I saw that in double coverage often).

Evans has looked healthier and healthier each week and he only gets used in garbage time.

I'd recommend skipping to the plays vs the commentary.  I stumbled across this but it has some really good film.  Focus on Evans and you will see him frantically waving his arms saying he is wide open multiple times in just the handful of plays that this guy breaks down.

• Like 1