NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ronald Jones 2020 Outlook

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok I put on my two pairs of glasses, face shield, newsboy cap and headset on. Let's try this again:

Rojo Truthers Unite! He is going to be fine.     

This guy is destroying every pair of slacks I own

Posted Images

2 hours ago, CooL said:

You seriously think that after paying LF $2 million that could go to 3.5M with incentives that they don't plan to use him?

At best, this is a timeshare.  Then you have McCoy taking the third down work.  So it's an ugly three headed partial monster.

Yes, you sell for whatever you can get at this point...

Terrible advice.   You didn’t really think a playoff team would go into the season with one reliable horse right?

2M is peanuts for a back who can step in and handle as many touches as needed.   If Rojo is what the bucs think- then Leo is no big deal to release after the season:  

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Terrible advice.   You didn’t really think a playoff team would go into the season with one reliable horse right?

2M is peanuts for a back who can step in and handle as many touches as needed.   If Rojo is what the bucs think- then Leo is no big deal to release after the season:  

To each their own.  They drafted a high flying rookie.  They went and got McCoy.  Now they get Fournette.  Seems like they really believe in Rojo so much that they keep trying to fill the stable.  Sure, teams need more than one RB on the team.  And $2M maybe is a drop in the bucket for them.  Peyton Barber is being paid $600K to be a backup in New England.

Fournette has at least already proven that he can carry the load and be sort of successful?  With Rojo we're always waiting.  

I get that for the Rojo owners they're trying to see the positive in this.  But there's no way that Fournette signing can be taken as a positive no matter how you spin it.  

I don't believe they go get Fournette if they're not planning on using him.  Not sure how that can be viewed as terrible advice.  They've now got Rojo, Fournette, McCoy, Vaughn, and Dare Ogunwale.  So does that mean they carry five backs?  Or they get rid of Dare because McCoy takes his role?

Keep drafting Rojo high if you really believe Arians.  But I just don't see it.

Lol at the people in this thread that are placing any merit in what Arians is saying about this backfield. He is the king of coach speak. He's misrepresented how he will handle his backfield through the media his entire career. What do you expect him to say--we don't feel comfortable with Ronald Jones and we never have? Fournette has a week to get caught up to speed, meaning that RoJo will be "the guy" in week 1. Why would Arians not want to instill confidence in a player that will have a significant role to open the season. But if you think his statement means RoJo is locked in as "the guy" you are kidding yourself. Reports are coming out that Fournette had at least 5 teams pursuing him, including the Patriots--he wouldn't have chosen the bucs and gotten the contract that he did if he wasn't going to be in a timeshare at worst. 

10 minutes ago, paulwall29 said:

Lol at the people in this thread that are placing any merit in what Arians is saying about this backfield. He is the king of coach speak. He's misrepresented how he will handle his backfield through the media his entire career. What do you expect him to say--we don't feel comfortable with Ronald Jones and we never have? Fournette has a week to get caught up to speed, meaning that RoJo will be "the guy" in week 1. Why would Arians not want to instill confidence in a player that will have a significant role to open the season. But if you think his statement means RoJo is locked in as "the guy" you are kidding yourself. Reports are coming out that Fournette had at least 5 teams pursuing him, including the Patriots--he wouldn't have chosen the bucs and gotten the contract that he did if he wasn't going to be in a timeshare at worst. 

What happened to being hot to trot for Vaughn? @paulwall29

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, yahyahtrick said:

All Fournette did was regulate Vaughn from the Bucs RB4 to RB5

Yes, and before his arrival Vaughn stood the best chance at leap frogging RoJo later in the season. Also, at the time I expressed my liking of Vaughn I could not have predicted that he would start camp on the COVID list and that the team would sign LeSean McCoy. 

6 minutes ago, paulwall29 said:

Yes, and before his arrival Vaughn stood the best chance at leap frogging RoJo later in the season. Also, at the time I expressed my liking of Vaughn I could not have predicted that he would start camp on the COVID list and that the team would sign LeSean McCoy. 

I was just going off of your first comment, the stuff you mention here happened before the Bucs signed Lenny 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2
5 hours ago, CooL said:

You seriously think that after paying LF $2 million that could go to 3.5M with incentives that they don't plan to use him?

Let me start by saying I do not believe Jones holds off 4net all year but this argument I don’t agree with. All incentives do is give Bucs less cap room next off season. If they’re able to get the same production from Jones as fournette it makes more sense to let Jones get it because they don’t have to pay him more. Now the only question is if Jones is able to put up equal numbers and the only answer to that is we have to wait and see.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Ddam2013 said:

Let me start by saying I do not believe Jones holds off 4net all year but this argument I don’t agree with. All incentives do is give Bucs less cap room next off season. If they’re able to get the same production from Jones as fournette it makes more sense to let Jones get it because they don’t have to pay him more. Now the only question is if Jones is able to put up equal numbers and the only answer to that is we have to wait and see.

Those incentives might count towards this season since some of them are likely to be reached for Fournette based on his performance last season. But then I don't know how all that applies to a player joining a new team.

You gotta hold him though regardless what the coaching staff says, RoJo's immediate future looks very dim for fantasy purposes.  At the minimum, he will split carries with Fournette. And Fournette will be breathing down his neck all season.  It's a 50/50 shot he steals RoJo's job outright.  Then if that wasn't enough, you have McCoy taking 3rd down and passing work.  Barring injury, I just can't see a path for acceptable fantasy numbers from RoJo in 2020.  

16 hours ago, Impreza178 said:

Here's what they think - Bruce Arians, last year, did everything he could to NOT give Jones significant carries.  They drafted a rookie with a third round pick and signed McCoy.  They then went out and signed Fournette.  This all under the guise that Arians likes to have a bellcow and not distribute carries amongst many mouths.  

If you think Ronald Jones is going to see the bulk of carries in Tampa this year (after the Fournette signing) you're being fooled.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
15 hours ago, paulwall29 said:

THIS.  Guaranteed Arians/Fournette spoke and Arians told him he would have much more than a timeshare in this backfield & the very reason why Fournette signed there.

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

THIS.  Guaranteed Arians/Fournette spoke and Arians told him he would have much more than a timeshare in this backfield & the very reason why Fournette signed there.

Reports may have been 5 teams pursuing him, but were they actually any good? The only two strong candidates were the Patriots and the Bucs. Maybe Fournette wants to try and win a title? The contract he signed is not significant at all. You guys are making it seem like he signed a one year $15M deal. It isn't his abilities that he needs to prove. He needs to prove he's actually a good teammate.

24 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

Reports may have been 5 teams pursuing him, but were they actually any good? The only two strong candidates were the Patriots and the Bucs. Maybe Fournette wants to try and win a title? The contract he signed is not significant at all. You guys are making it seem like he signed a one year $15M deal. It isn't his abilities that he needs to prove. He needs to prove he's actually a good teammate.

I don't disagree with the proving he's a good teammate angle.  Here's what I do know - players with talent in the NFL typically get multiple chances to prove themselves & that's what's happening here paired with Arians not being a strong believer in Jones.

This is what makes or breaks a fantasy owner. 

What are you going to drop him for? You won't get anything for him in a trade. Just hold on to him for now. Rojo will have a full workload in week 1 while LF gets up to speed and if he takes advantage of it, you're going to regret your panic move. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

I don't disagree with the proving he's a good teammate angle.  Here's what I do know - players with talent in the NFL typically get multiple chances to prove themselves & that's what's happening here paired with Arians not being a strong believer in Jones.

Oh you know what Arians believes? Are you his wife!? Nice Story bro! 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, devilfish said:

Oh you know what Arians believes? Are you his wife!? Nice Story bro! 

Oh the "nice story bro" garbage - so cute.  Remember last year?  Remember when Arians wouldn't give Jones bulk carries? Remember multiple stories coming out of the Bucs circles that Arians didn't believe in Jones?  I do.