NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ronald Jones 2020 Outlook

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok I put on my two pairs of glasses, face shield, newsboy cap and headset on. Let's try this again:

Rojo Truthers Unite! He is going to be fine.     

This guy is destroying every pair of slacks I own

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, Power-O said:

i like rojo but what happens when LF comes back? Before LF got hurt the outlook was looking bleak because it seemed like there wouldnt be enough action to go around...seems to me he is a sell high

I think the point is that he seemingly has runaway with the job in the time Fournette has missed. He's looked amazing and is seemingly getting better every week. People questioned whether Rojo was good or not, he clearly is. The end of last year was not a fluke. 

Now with Arians at the helm nothing is a sure thing, but if you listen to what Arians said prior to the dominant GB performance, Fournette is simply a handcuff, a "give the lead dog a breather" back. 

I'm not selling high unless I get another high-end RB2 back in return. Even if it doesn't keep up, at the end of the day alot of people didn't like this guy so you got a lead RB in a Brady offense in the 5th/6th round. (Later if you drafted after the Fournette signing). Given the rather meager draft capital you spent, hopefully you can afford just to ride it out.

Edited by USWAY
  • Like 2
10 minutes ago, USWAY said:

I think the point is that he seemingly has runaway with the job in the time Fournette has missed. He's looked amazing and is seemingly getting better every week. People questioned whether Rojo was good or not, he clearly is. The end of last year was not a fluke. 

Now with Arians at the helm nothing is a sure thing, but if you listen to what Arians said prior to the dominant GB performance, Fournette is simply a handcuff, a "give the lead dog a breather" back. 

I'm not selling high unless I get another high-end RB2 back in return. Even if it doesn't keep up, at the end of the day alot of people didn't like this guy so you got a lead RB in a Brady offense in the 5th/6th round. (Later if you drafted after the Fournette signing). Given the rather meager draft capital you spent, hopefully you can afford just to ride it out.

Thats not the impression i got from the game logs when they both played...small sample size but fournette played more than i was comfortable with...especially in some goaline scenarios..i may be wrong but to me if fournette comes back they will rotate them in and out...rojo isnt even in on 3rd downs... could BA have changed his mind on the usage going forward...maybe...his track record is hard to rely on IMO...i traded him for golladay as an example...thats a WR1 who was ranked top 4 going into draft day for a 5th round pick...given the landscape on RBs i get why some will ride it out...im thinking long term

Edited by Power-O
27 minutes ago, Power-O said:

Thats not the impression i got from the game logs when they both played...small sample size but fournette played more than i was comfortable with...especially in some goaline scenarios..i may be wrong but to me if fournette comes back they will rotate them in and out...rojo isnt even in on 3rd downs... could BA have changed his mind on the usage going forward...maybe...his track record is hard to rely on IMO...i traded him for golladay as an example...thats a WR1 who was ranked top 4 going into draft day for a 5th round pick...given the landscape on RBs i get why some will ride it out...im thinking long term

I mean it's fair for you to believe that. Because you're correct and the workload wasn't Rojo centric before LFs injury. But like I mentioned, the assumption here is that because Rojo has looked great with 3 straight 100 yard performances that he's secured the lead dog role. I kind of concur where if it was any coach other than Arians I'd be 99% confident in this. Because it's him, I'm more like 80-85%. We have to remember that Jones turned 23 in August. Dude came out very young and as a USC fan, I can confirm we only ever asked him to run the ball plus he might've weighed 200 lbs soaking wet at the time. He looks to have packed on 20 lbs and is learning how to use it. 

I don't think it matters that Rojo doesn't get 3rd down work. He's the goal line back right now, and Brady throws to his RBs enough that he still gets recieving work. (Plus, less chance for him to screw up and get into the dog house lol)

You traded him for a bonafide WR1. That makes sense to me if you're assuming his value is a high end RB2 right now. Trying to get rid of him for less than that is what wouldn't make sense to me.

• Like 4
21 minutes ago, USWAY said:

I mean it's fair for you to believe that. Because you're correct and the workload wasn't Rojo centric before LFs injury. But like I mentioned, the assumption here is that because Rojo has looked great with 3 straight 100 yard performances that he's secured the lead dog role. I kind of concur where if it was any coach other than Arians I'd be 99% confident in this. Because it's him, I'm more like 80-85%. We have to remember that Jones turned 23 in August. Dude came out very young and as a USC fan, I can confirm we only ever asked him to run the ball plus he might've weighed 200 lbs soaking wet at the time. He looks to have packed on 20 lbs and is learning how to use it. 

I don't think it matters that Rojo doesn't get 3rd down work. He's the goal line back right now, and Brady throws to his RBs enough that he still gets recieving work. (Plus, less chance for him to screw up and get into the dog house lol)

You traded him for a bonafide WR1. That makes sense to me if you're assuming his value is a high end RB2 right now. Trying to get rid of him for less than that is what wouldn't make sense to me.

Well you get what i mean...good luck to all rojo owners

3 hours ago, Power-O said:

i like rojo but what happens when LF comes back? Before LF got hurt the outlook was looking bleak because it seemed like there wouldnt be enough action to go around...seems to me he is a sell high

Fournette can watch RoJo breaking tackles from the bench. ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Power-O said:

I “sold high” last week expecting LF to be back against GB and now I’m regretting it. After seeing him tear up the Packers, you have to think Arians might have a different attitude about him now.

If I still had him I’d test the waters this week, but no way would I be letting him go on the cheap after these last 3 games.

• Like 1

Would take a king’s ransom to pry RoJo from me. The ceiling is too high. He currently sits third in the NFL in rushing yards. He pops off the screen with his blend of elusiveness, burst, and strength. Great Oline play and teams can’t really stack the box. Solid defense to keep the game script in check. At least two receptions in every game this season. Fournette has never in his career run the way RoJo has these past three games. Also helps that he has a friendly matchup against the Raiders this week so he can further cement himself as the lead dog as Fournette works his way back. 

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, SkinsChargersFan said:

I “sold high” last week expecting LF to be back against GB and now I’m regretting it. After seeing him tear up the Packers, you have to think Arians might have a different attitude about him now.

If I still had him I’d test the waters this week, but no way would I be letting him go on the cheap after these last 3 games.

That was my fear...they have been very quiet on what his injury has been...yes we kno something to do with an ankle but most teams give you a timetable and if its a low or high sprain....they reported yesterday they left him inactive so he would be 100% but i have no idea what that means with regard to his ability to play this week... i never doubted rojo as a player...i drafted him higher than where he should have gone before the LF signing...god i wish jax would have kept LF...i will say it seems people are less concerned about LF right now so to me if you have the rb depth you should strongly consider making a move or at least test the waters

Edited by Power-O
4 hours ago, SkinsChargersFan said:

Disclaimer* 

Trade Rojo at your own risk 

• Thanks 1

Ronald Jones changes Tampa Bay’s offense

As noted above, the Buccaneers defense was awesome on Sunday. Hopefully, the national audience is caught up after they were made to choose between watching Packers vs. Bucs or a game featuring the Adam Gase-coached Jets. On balance, Tampa Bay’s unit has been by far their best unit. 

With that in mind, it’s past time we change the way we view their offense. And it has nothing to do with Tom Brady’s play, as he doesn’t look washed at all. But if this is going to be a defense-first team, more weeks than not, they’ll be in a position to lean on a guy who needs more respect: Running back Ronald Jones.

Coming out of Sunday Night Football, Ronald Jones ranks third in the NFL with 472 rushing yards. Over 46 percent of his yards on the year have come after contact and he’s run 84 pass routes. It’s been a balanced approach for Jones. He’s been on fire of late with Leonard Fournette out of the picture. He added 113 yards and two scores on 23 carries to his 2020 resume against Green Bay. 

Of course, that begs the question: What incentive do Bruce Arians and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have to get Fournette back in the mix when he’s healthy?

Fournette was just a preseason waiver add. Jones has done nothing to lose the job. He’s running well and handling the duties of a feature back for a team that will be in run-friendly game scripts going forward.

The coaching staff could always shake things up just for the sake of it. However, given what we’ve seen lately, it just wouldn’t make much sense. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/week-6-caredont-care-even-in-a-loss-darrell-henderson-proves-himself-the-differencemaker-rams-offense-needs-044225482.html

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, ColoWrex said:

Arians on RoJo: "I don't have any trouble handing it to him 20-25 times and throwing it to him five or six. He can handle that load”

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/30149907/fantasy-fallout-rising-rbs-ronald-jones-phillip-lindsay-dandre-swift-keep-up

(Article is pay-walled)

It didn't look great for Jones' chances to finally emerge as a No. 1 back when the Bucs added both Leonard Fournette and LeSean McCoyshortly before the season. But Jones has finally broken through in a big way with three straight 100-yard rushing games while Fournette has been dealing with an ankle injury.

Buccaneers reporter Jenna Laine wrote a great story last week on Jones' climb from the "cellar" as a seldom-used rookie in 2018 to now, when coach Bruce Arians is complimenting his growth in the offense.

As Laine has consistently pointed out, Jones is still a work in progress in the passing game. And the Buccaneers like the idea of using Fournette as a power runner against worn-out defenses in the fourth quarter. But the way Jones is wearing out defenses himself right now makes it hard to envision him ceding too many touches when Fournette returns. And Laine said the team won't rush Fournette back.

"I don't have any trouble handing it to him 20-25 times and throwing it to him five or six. He can handle that load," Arians said.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, ColoWrex said:

Arians on RoJo: "I don't have any trouble handing it to him 20-25 times and throwing it to him five or six. He can handle that load”

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/30149907/fantasy-fallout-rising-rbs-ronald-jones-phillip-lindsay-dandre-swift-keep-up

(Article is pay-walled)

I have ESPN+ and I’m not really sold that their content should even be exclusive. Rotoworld insight is typically better and free. ESPN just states the obvious and expect you to pay for it. 😂

• Like 1

Rojo's leash is pretty long now, even when Fournette comes back.  I'm a Fournette owner and I'd be pissed if his leash were short.  Kid's earned the role and he needs to faceplant pretty bad to lose it now.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Magoo said:

So?  Always good to have your 2nd string RB healthy just in case

this is your last chance folks...we all know rojo is great but if this dude starts takin reps your value is sunk big time...hope he stays on the bench

I value him as a top 12 rb ros with top 6 upside. Yes it sounds crazzy but guys like chubb ekeler saquon are all gone and zeke is due for a freefall. I also think his lack of extreme useage last few years has him fresh. Of course as we have seen this year god forbid he could go down at any minute as any nfl player can. Dude reminds me of how d henry blossomed at end of 2018. I am not saying he is as good as henry but he can be poor man d henry? That will certainly pay the bills in fantasy.