NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ronald Jones 2020 Outlook

13 hours ago, BGDDYKWL said:

I'd tend to agree, but he looked like that last year and still put up 1,700 yards, 75 receptions, and over 4 YPC. This offense is already trending up, and with AB will be elite. If a 1A emerged here they will absolutely feast. Based on track record my guess is it's Fournette. Time will tell. 

Career 3.9 YPC.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok I put on my two pairs of glasses, face shield, newsboy cap and headset on. Let's try this again:

Rojo Truthers Unite! He is going to be fine.     

This guy is destroying every pair of slacks I own

Posted Images

We really shouldn’t be arguing RoJo vs fournette anymore.. BOTH WILL HAVE RB2 VALUE as long as it’s a 2 man backfield. these 2 sharing the load 50/50 makes both of them valuable. Fournette likely gets the edge in PPR formats cause he’s getting the passing work but I continue to say McCoy/ Vaughn being worked out of the rotation was a key that puts a true ROS floor under both players value. 

and if either gets hurt the other becomes a workhorse, 60%+ snaps for RoJo and likely 70%+ for fournette. For now I see this backfield as a poor mans chubb/hunt

13 hours ago, TomBradyDaGOAT said:

We really shouldn’t be arguing RoJo vs fournette anymore.. BOTH WILL HAVE RB2 VALUE as long as it’s a 2 man backfield. these 2 sharing the load 50/50 makes both of them valuable. Fournette likely gets the edge in PPR formats cause he’s getting the passing work but I continue to say McCoy/ Vaughn being worked out of the rotation was a key that puts a true ROS floor under both players value. 

and if either gets hurt the other becomes a workhorse, 60%+ snaps for RoJo and likely 70%+ for fournette. For now I see this backfield as a poor mans chubb/hunt

Pretty good analogy.

I dropped Fournette last week- couldn't take the Arians shenanigans anymore at the RB position. He is money at the QB WRs positions but Ronald Jones actually losing share despite 3 100 yard performances and looking pretty decent is pretty damning by the coaching staff and makes not a lot of sense.

I don't know if I can trust Jones this week as anything more than RB2 like you said. Game flow should go his way.

11 hours ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

Pretty good analogy.

I dropped Fournette last week- couldn't take the Arians shenanigans anymore at the RB position. He is money at the QB WRs positions but Ronald Jones actually losing share despite 3 100 yard performances and looking pretty decent is pretty damning by the coaching staff and makes not a lot of sense.

I don't know if I can trust Jones this week as anything more than RB2 like you said. Game flow should go his way.

Yeah I see RoJo as a mid/low range RB2 and fournette mid/high range RB2 right now. Yes game script should favor running but the giants front has been very solid this season. 

im a RoJo truther but it’s becoming very clear that the dude can’t catch, and that’s a big issue- especially with Brady. He’s cleaned up pass protection a bunch though and is now above average. 

31 minutes ago, cdd10 said:

pro football reference is wrong. here is 6 of them.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/win-wire/2020/win-wire-week-8

It's perplexing how bad RoJo is at catching. (The one against the Bears I don't blame him though. Old Tommy would've gotten him torn in 2 if he caught that). On some of those drops there's not a defender within a few yards of him. Inexcusable. And it's a shame because he's a superior runner to Fournette. If he could just hold on to a pass Fournette would be phased out just like McCoy and Vaughn. I think the roles have been established, but unfortunately every mistake RoJo makes from here on out will result in his immediate benching. Punishment for the unfavored child. And that makes it a tough situation to trust, even though there is plenty to go around for both backs.

On 10/29/2020 at 8:15 AM, TomBradyDaGOAT said:

That's just not true. Fournette has a much better chance at weekly RB2 production due to his monopoly on the pass catching role. RoJo will be a touchdown dependent flex play every week barring another change of roles in the backfield which doesn't seem likely due to RoJo's horrific pass catching performance this season.

47 minutes ago, Nickmo said:

It's perplexing how bad RoJo is at catching. (The one against the Bears I don't blame him though. Old Tommy would've gotten him torn in 2 if he caught that). On some of those drops there's not a defender within a few yards of him. Inexcusable. And it's a shame because he's a superior runner to Fournette. If he could just hold on to a pass Fournette would be phased out just like McCoy and Vaughn. I think the roles have been established, but unfortunately every mistake RoJo makes from here on out will result in his immediate benching. Punishment for the unfavored child. And that makes it a tough situation to trust, even though there is plenty to go around for both backs.

nah... Fournette wouldn’t get phased out no matter how good Rojo caught the ball.    One back cannot handle all the work...and LF looks like he runs in quicksand.   Perfect for pass blocking and catching short garbage routes.   Some games he’ll be the back to own...but Rojo is a far superior rb.  He’s the one you want most of the time.    Speed, power, vision,  will....the guy is talented.   

Fournette is Kevin Faulk at this point.  

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, paulwall29 said:

That's just not true. Fournette has a much better chance at weekly RB2 production due to his monopoly on the pass catching role. RoJo will be a touchdown dependent flex play every week barring another change of roles in the backfield which doesn't seem likely due to RoJo's horrific pass catching performance this season.

RoJo owners were saying similar things when he went off for three well played 100+ yard games, and then the next game he is essentially benched for Fournette.

Earlier in the year Fournette had that big game and again similar things were said.  The next game RoJo got the majority of touches.

Arians is extremely fickle.  He makes both guys tough to play.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, fbi314159 said:

RoJo owners were saying similar things when he went off for three well played 100+ yard games, and then the next game he is essentially benched for Fournette.

Earlier in the year Fournette had that big game and again similar things were said.  The next game RoJo got the majority of touches.

Arians is extremely fickle.  He makes both guys tough to play.

Rojo got the majority of the touches the following game because Fournette got hurt during the game. Then RoJo got heavy usage because Fournette was hurt. RoJo has proven time and again that he is incompetent as a pass catcher so there is no scenario where he captures that role moving forward. Maybe Fournette will lose it, but it won't be to RoJo that much I can guarantee you. 

Edited by paulwall29
37 minutes ago, gmoneypm said:

I understand the fumble sucked and led to a Giants td but how can Arians ignore Jones three 100 yard performances? His leash is, and has been, sooo short.

Because he keeps making bonehead plays.

Arians hasn't formed an opinion of Rojo based on a handful of games this season.  Rojo had all of last year to earn BA's trust and could not do it.  Splitting with Peyton Barber, then watching as Fournette got signed.  BA simply does not trust him and that's an opinion that has formed since the beginning of last year.  A few good games does not wipe that all out.

The number of drops that Rojo has had is inexcusable for a rb.  He's getting dump offs and screens.  It's not like he's dropping 40 yard bombs in bracket coverage.  These are easy passes.  He's not concentrating and BA is fed up.

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, Uncle_Ruckus said:

What happened to all the RoJo owners who said Fournette was finished? 😂😂😂. Fournette is the lead back in Tampa like I said 

I'd settle down on that victory lap, bud.  Fournette averaged less than 3.5 ypc tonight and looked like David Johnson.  Full disclosure:  I am proud to say I am NOT a Rojo owner.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
8 minutes ago, kp96 said:

Because he keeps making bonehead plays.

Arians hasn't formed an opinion of Rojo based on a handful of games this season.  Rojo had all of last year to earn BA's trust and could not do it.  Splitting with Peyton Barber, then watching as Fournette got signed.  BA simply does not trust him and that's an opinion that has formed since the beginning of last year.  A few good games does not wipe that all out.

The number of drops that Rojo has had is inexcusable for a rb.  He's getting dump offs and screens.  It's not like he's dropping 40 yard bombs in bracket coverage.  These are easy passes.  He's not concentrating and BA is fed up.

I totally agree and understand where you’re coming from. 

But coming off three 100 yard games basically error free, you would think that Arians would just keep riding him. Instead, Arians completely blackballs him again on the first mistake he makes and kills all confidence and momentum he had.

Just my opinion but I don’t get it. 

• Like 3