NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ronald Jones 2020 Outlook

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok I put on my two pairs of glasses, face shield, newsboy cap and headset on. Let's try this again:

Rojo Truthers Unite! He is going to be fine.     

This guy is destroying every pair of slacks I own

Posted Images

The good news is that RoJo was seeing touches.  Everyone was saying RoJo is finished and it is Fournette's backfield now, and yet RoJo started the first 3 series.  Jones was doing OK when they were running it.  3 yards per carry isn't impressive, but it is a very small sample sisze, and he did have a 7 yard run as one of his three carries.  Furthermore, he had no drops and made three receptions in his limited playing time.

The bad news is that Brady really stunk up the joint last night.  His errant throws killed drives, and his INTs killed the game script that would have allowed rushing to be useful.  This is why they only had 4 rushing attempts.

Do I think that this is RoJo's backfield now?  Absolutely not.  The game got out of hand fast enough that we never got to see the actual plan.  While I think Fournette would have been given his own chunk of series soon enough, I secretly harbor the suspicion that Arian's strategy is to run RoJo until he makes a mistake and then bench him for the rest of the game.

I still think neither of these guys are truly viable fantasy starters as long as Arian's is running the backfield and the two are healthy.

• Like 1

Rojo is no longer startable and Fournette is not much better.  How much value do you think a committee RB (at best) on a pass heavy team is going to be?  And from the looks of it, Rojo is on the short end of the stick.

Party's over for him.  You can't even trade him because nobody's going to give you anything of value now.

He's probably a match-up play now unless Fournette gets hurt again. If they're handling a team easily Rojo could get his touches and score fantasy points. Otherwise way too risky since he's not heavily involved in the passing game

11 minutes ago, Guccimonster said:

Nah Jones is def playable, he’s gonna have a good game against Carolina, book it. 

He’s gonna run wild I think, Arians needs to get back to the run game

The deeper the season gets the less playable he seems to be.  I really like RoJo on a long term sense.  But he's been seemingly phased out of this offense lately.

For 3-4 straight weeks this guy was used as a workhorse and he barely broke a sweat looking like one of the best rbs in the league. Now he’s worthless because they signed an extremely overrated former first rd pick that they didn’t need. The joys of playing fantasy football. 

• Like 6
38 minutes ago, SundayGravy said:

For 3-4 straight weeks this guy was used as a workhorse and he barely broke a sweat looking like one of the best rbs in the league. Now he’s worthless because they signed an extremely overrated former first rd pick that they didn’t need. The joys of playing fantasy football. 

Bruce Arians, ladies and gents. 

can’t protect our statuesque qb- so let’s only call 4 running plays all game.   That will get us back in it 🙄 

Edited by Impreza178
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
48 minutes ago, SundayGravy said:

The fallacy of logical coaching is a big one amongst us fans and fantasy players...not sure how much pull Tom has regarding the RB rotation. I do know it's clear as day Tom prefers someone he can confidently check it down to...and Fournette fits the bill more.

Both of the TB bucs are basically useless for fantasy aside from injury. I'd let other owners deal with the headache of these players and cut/trade so you can go obtain someone else with higher confidence. 

Clearly nobody understand the circumstances surrounding Jones.

Vs Raiders, dropped easy dump off pass and benched for 2 quarters because of it.

Vs Giants, fumble on a pass play benched for 2 quarters again.

Literally down 31-0 at half last night, three 3 and outs to start the game.

Jones is def worth starting this weekend, I doubt it’s a 4th week in a row he doesn’t do something, especially playing against Carolina

• Haha 1
17 hours ago, fbi314159 said:

I secretly harbor the suspicion that Arian's strategy is to run RoJo until he makes a mistake and then bench him for the rest of the game.

Exactly this... Bench ‘em Bruce is just the worst.  

R Jones must have nightmares about Arians sending him to the pine.   

Edited by Impreza178
  • Like 1
19 hours ago, Impreza178 said:

Yeah apparently he needs to go catch multiple court cases for Arians to respect him.  ZING.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

"My name is Ronald Jones. People call me Ronald Jones. My coach calls me to the bench."

"My coach always says, 'Passes are like a box of chocolates, you get benched when you drop them.'"

"I may not be a fantasy start anymore, but I know what a bench is."

"Me and the bench go together like peas and carrots."

"Fumblin' is as fumblin' does."

"There's all kinds of ways to fumble... drop fumble, arm fumble, hand fumble, safety fumble, goal line fumble, butt fumble..."

RJ2.jpg.2704b73b1aed07c3506a5d909ade8135.jpg

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Prezkot said:

"My name is Ronald Jones. People call me Ronald Jones. My coach calls me to the bench."

"My coach always says, 'Passes are like a box of chocolates, you get benched when you drop them.'"

"I may not be a fantasy start anymore, but I know what a bench is."

"Me and the bench go together like peas and carrots."

"Fumblin' is as fumblin' does."

"There's all kinds of ways to fumble... drop fumble, arm fumble, hand fumble, safety fumble, goal line fumble, butt fumble..."

RJ2.jpg.2704b73b1aed07c3506a5d909ade8135.jpg

I might be starting this chump this weekend. Run Rojo run!

spacer.png

22 hours ago, Impreza178 said:

C'mon.  Do you really think BA just hates Rojo so much for some unfounded reason that he's benching him?

If Rojo would catch simple dump offs and not fumble deep in TB territory, we wouldn't be talking about this.  Let's blame the right person.  That's Rojo.  No coach is going to bench their best RB for non-football reasons, especially a playoff contender.

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, kp96 said:

C'mon.  Do you really think BA just hates Rojo so much for some unfounded reason that he's benching him?

If Rojo would catch simple dump offs and not fumble deep in TB territory, we wouldn't be talking about this.  Let's blame the right person.  That's Rojo.  No coach is going to bench their best RB for non-football reasons, especially a playoff contender.

He was the unquestioned lead back in three games this year with Fournette injured.  In those three games he played extremely well, and two of them were against above average running defenses (the Bears and the Chargers).  In the 60 touches and 11 receptions of those games he had zero fumbles (don't have time to look up drops, but I will admit he may have dropped a couple).  He had over 100 yards in each game, averaging 5.6 ypc against the Chargers, 6.2 ypc against the Bears, and 4.9 ypc against GB.  This is pretty good for a RB (Derrick Henry who everyone loves usually has less than 4 ypc).

Fournette comes back, and the guy with 3 consecutive 100+ yard games is benched for the rest of the game because he dropped a pass in one game, and fumbled in another.  You tell me this makes sense when his replacement is anything but spectacular, and he showed that he was more than capable of being a lead back.  Yes, I know this is fantasy football and not real football, but I've seen a good portion of these games.  Rojo looked good in those three games.  Fournette looks pedestrian at best (outside of that Carolina game).

Edited by fbi314159

Something is off with Arians and Rojo but it's nothing new. The "fumble" last week was a tipped pass that was barely catchable. The latest in a series of unfortunate events for Rojo. If there was a mistake on his part, maybe it was just that he should have batted the ball down instead of trying to catch it (?). I encourage everyone to watch the actual play (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAQfYCq47oA). Bummer.

Looking forward to wherever Jones goes next. He deserves a longer leash than whatever Arians is giving him.

Edited by TLBDS
36 minutes ago, TLBDS said:

He deserves a longer leash than whatever Arians is giving him.

This is a shortened version of what my long winded post was trying to say.

I don't think RoJo should have fumbled that ball, but fully agree that it was a bad throw and a difficult catch (OK--forgot it was tipped).  These things happen, and it definitely wasn't grounds to bench especially since he'd shown that he was not prone to fumbling when he was carrying the run game.

Edited by fbi314159
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, fbi314159 said:

He was the unquestioned lead back in three games this year with Fournette injured.

You do realize that he's been playing for BA since the beginning of last season, right?  And he wasn't able to beat out Peyton Barber even though Barber runs like he has cement in his shoes?

BA doesn't trust him, and a nice 3 week stretch doesn't erase all that.  And even during that nice 3 week stretch, he was dropping passes.

Everyone seems to think that their little glimpses of him during games is enough to question what the coach is doing.  It's ridiculous.  BA has been watching Rojo every day in training camp, games, and practices for 2 years.  He's been watching film of Rojo and the other RB.  You and I do not have any of that information that BA is using to make his personnel decisions.  We have no idea if Rojo is making mistakes that we can't see, like running the wrong route or missing blocking assignments.  Crap that pisses off coaches but we wouldn't know unless we know the playbook.

If BA has a short leash, there is a good reason for it.  BA wants to win games.  This "oh he must hate Rojo" stuff is tiresome.  Rojo has had every opportunity to be the bellcow here and has never done what it takes to do it.  That's the fact.

Edited by kp96
  • Haha 1

I did find it interesting that Brady threw to Jones early and he ended up with 4 targets. I thought they wouldn't have the confidence to pass to him.

Regardless, Jones is a much better runner than Fournette and it's a mystery why they abondoned the run so early against the Saints. Rojo looked spry with the ball early.

Edited by DConny1
22 minutes ago, kp96 said:

If BA has a short leash, there is a good reason for it.  BA wants to win games.  This "oh he must hate Rojo" stuff is tiresome.  Rojo has had every opportunity to be the bellcow here and has never done what it takes to do it.  That's the fact.

I think this is the most legitimate way to look at it. Just don't be surprised when Jones finds a lot of success running for another team. He was 20 years old when he joined the league and has improved every year; he's still younger than Vaughn by a few months. At this point he's being benched for (what appear to be) petty occurrences, probably based on a mountain of evidence and opinion that Arians has developed over the last year and a half.

Yep, we get it. Arians doesn't have the time to wait for him to develop. Too bad.

• Like 1

It could be we are placing blame on the wrong person. Maybe BA wants to get RoJo more involved. But when you sign Timeless Tommy, he at age 43 and has the arm strength of a hot dog wiener soaked in pickle juice, you can't really say no to him.

Tomcat can't accurately chuck the ball further than 10 yards on a routine basis anymore, so he insists on surrounding himself with as many pass catchers as he can, which Fournette has the upper hand at. Maybe BA convinces Tom weekly that RoJo should start. But every time RoJo muffs a pass with his admittedly weak hands, Tom banishes him to the lands of Jonas Gray and Sony Michel.

42 minutes ago, DConny1 said:

I did find it interesting that Brady threw to Jones early and he ended up with 4 targets. I thought they wouldn't have the confidence to pass to him.

Regardless, Jones is a much better runner than Fournette and it's a mystery why they abondoned the run so early against the Saints. Rojo looked spry with the ball early.

You sure about RoJo being a better runner? They're averaging the same YPC this year.

• Haha 2