NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ronald Jones 2020 Outlook

23 minutes ago, TLBDS said:

I think this is the most legitimate way to look at it. Just don't be surprised when Jones finds a lot of success running for another team. He was 20 years old when he joined the league and has improved every year; he's still younger than Vaughn by a few months. At this point he's being benched for (what appear to be) petty occurrences, probably based on a mountain of evidence and opinion that Arians has developed over the last year and a half.

Yep, we get it. Arians doesn't have the time to wait for him to develop. Too bad.

Running backs don't get developed.  Their shelf life is too short, plus it's too easy to draft another rookie who can step in right away and be good.  We're not talking about QB here.

• Haha 1
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok I put on my two pairs of glasses, face shield, newsboy cap and headset on. Let's try this again:

Rojo Truthers Unite! He is going to be fine.     

This guy is destroying every pair of slacks I own

Posted Images

12 hours ago, kp96 said:

Running backs don't get developed.  Their shelf life is too short, plus it's too easy to draft another rookie who can step in right away and be good.  We're not talking about QB here.

EVERY player needs time to develop/ adapt to the pro game.    Especially when you come into the league as one of the youngest players in the draft.   I guess Dobbins, Swift, and JT are all busts too-   Shelf life is running out!  Let’s blow more draft capital and do it again because we have no patience.   🤔 🤔 

Surely no one thinks Jones was flawless in his 3 straight 100 yard games, right? He wasn’t.   I watched every snap.   But they kept going to him.   And like most explosive, talented players...it started paying off with longer plays and control of the game flow.   Your young guys need to know that you stand behind them even when they drop a pass or (gasp) fumble.  If you gave Rojo the volume that Jrob gets(who has also dropped passes and fumbled on occasion)-  he’s a rb1 unquestionably.   Unfortunately...Arians has pulled this childish benching act with player after player-  only committing when he has no options.  

So it is.   Rojo and Leo are basically desperation flexes.   Oh what could have been.  

• Like 3
44 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

EVERY player needs time to develop/ adapt to the pro game.

It's all relative, right?  For a QB, sitting a year and getting a couple years after to get your act together is reasonable.  For a RB...frankly, if you can't get your act together after 2 seasons, then should a team really wait?  It's not like the guy has to figure out NFL defenses.  A rb needs to know where the hole is.  Everything else for a RB....vision, breaking tackles, catching the ball...is talent, not development.

If your stance is that a year and a half in the same system for a RB is still "development time", then that's fine.  There's no definition of this so I can't say you're wrong.  IMO, he has had PLENTY of time in that system to be performing at peak levels.

And here are a couple examples - Tua was given the starting job specifically because the Fins have two high draft picks next year and need to know if they should draft another QB.  So he's getting half of his rookie season to "develop" to the point they know he is the future.  Then you got Lamical Perine, who is being given the last 6 games of the season to prove he is a RB1, or they will draft another one.  What makes Rojo so special that he gets 2 years to "develop"?  As a RB, no less?

As for the examples you mentioned...yes it is too early to give up on a rookie RB.  Rojo isn't a rookie.

Edited by kp96
48 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Your young guys need to know that you stand behind them even when they drop a pass or (gasp) fumble.

Disagree with this completely, sorry.  First of all, this is the NFL.  If Rojo doesn't have the cajones to come back stronger after getting pulled because he messed up, he shouldn't be in the league.  I bet you Rojo himself would tell you he doesn't need to be babied.

Second....there seems to be this perception that that Rojo makes a rare mistake and then gets clobbered by the coach for it.  That he "unfairly" isn't trusted.  Why is that?  He screws up a LOT.  Fournette is the more reliable back.  That's it.  And this "opinion" by BA comes from seeing these guys not only in games, but in camp, practice, and film (as I've already stated).  IMO, Rojo probably screws up all the time and BA is just sick of it.  I will certainly admit that, when it comes to running the ball, Rojo is pretty good.  He looks good.  That's not the issue.  The issue is that RB is not only about running the ball.  There are all sorts of things he needs to do and he's failing at those.  Hence the benching.

I'd probably bench Rojo for fumbling too. I don't think there's enough talent disparity between him and Fournette to put up with those kind of mistakes. I don't understand that same reaction to dropped passes though. I saw Fournette drop one 2 games ago(I didn't watch their game last week). I don't know if it statistically counted as a drop because it was a little high from Brady and Fournette had to reach up for it but it went right through his hands. They cut to Brady right afterwards and he looked annoyed, although he always looks kind of annoyed. If Rojo had done the same thing the gameday thread would've exploded with 'WOW HE SUCKS, TO THE BENCH YOU GO' posts

Anyways, I don't buy the 'he hate me' attitude for Rojo but I also think go away from him way too quickly sometimes. 

Edited by owenmills
  • Like 2
21 minutes ago, kp96 said:

Disagree with this completely, sorry.  First of all, this is the NFL.  If Rojo doesn't have the cajones to come back stronger after getting pulled because he messed up, he shouldn't be in the league.  I bet you Rojo himself would tell you he doesn't need to be babied.

Second....there seems to be this perception that that Rojo makes a rare mistake and then gets clobbered by the coach for it.  That he "unfairly" isn't trusted.  Why is that?  He screws up a LOT.  Fournette is the more reliable back.  That's it.  And this "opinion" by BA comes from seeing these guys not only in games, but in camp, practice, and film (as I've already stated).  IMO, Rojo probably screws up all the time and BA is just sick of it.  I will certainly admit that, when it comes to running the ball, Rojo is pretty good.  He looks good.  That's not the issue.  The issue is that RB is not only about running the ball.  There are all sorts of things he needs to do and he's failing at those.  Hence the benching.

Tom Brady screws up just about the same rate. I guess that's what championships affords you, being able to make mistakes and not get called out for it. That's a luxury Ronald Jones does not have. You'd think Leonard Fournette had a few championships too based on the love affair Arians has with him. The last fumble Ronald Jones had was when Brady got a pass tipped and Ronald tried to make a play coming off the ground. Kind of hard to keep two hands on the ball when you are trying to get up off the ground. I guess maybe he should have not tried at all, because that's obviously the problem. He actually tried to make a play and he's vilified for it and sent to timeout by daddy Bruce. My advice to RoJo is to not catch any Tom Brady passes that are not perfect.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, FitzMagic said:

Tom Brady screws up just about the same rate. I guess that's what championships affords you, being able to make mistakes and not get called out for it. That's a luxury Ronald Jones does not have.

You're comparing the greatest player in NFL history to....Ronald Jones?

Aside from that, if you are talking about just raw number of mistakes, you may be right, but that's only because Brady touches the ball on literally every play and does WAY more than Rojo.  He has to read the defense, call the right play (or audible out), and any other number of things that the QB has to do that a RB does not.  Jones isn't even on the field most of the time...how are you even comparing them?

Now I think your main point is that Rojo gets a bad rap because of his rep and Brady does not.  That's fine, but how did we get here?  Perceptions don't come out of nowhere.  If that's the situation, then it's a hole that Rojo dug for himself with BA.  Play better, stop screwing up, and that will change.

Droppin' a pass on the opening drive? That's a benchin'.

Runnin' the wrong route on a pass protection play? That's a benchin'.

Starin' at my Covid face shield funny? That's a benchin'

Fumblin' a tipped pass thrown by the GOAT? Oh, you better believe that's a benchin'.

1045663254_image(3).jpg.69ce321defb1c92f2627954870016f2a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

If RoJo is obvious crap and can't be trusted then how is it that the coach keeps putting him out there to start the game after these benchings?

He started the first three series of last weeks game until Brady's poor play and interceptions game scripted out all running.

I'll bet you RoJo starts this week's game and will get close to 50% of touches until he gets game scripted out or he drops a pass.  Who cares that Arians has all this time studying the films and seeing him all the time in practice?  This could be a valid point if he just benched RoJo and didn't continue to run him out at the start of games unless he had no choice.  If you don't trust the guy then don't put him out there to start unless absolutely necessary.  I never claimed he had anything personal out for RoJo, he is just showing capriciousness which is a piss poor quality in a head coach.

Edited by fbi314159
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, owenmills said:

Anyways, I don't buy the 'he hate me' attitude for Rojo but I also think go away from him way too quickly sometimes. 

I think this whole discussion is taking away from what the actual problem is.  The problem for Rojo is that he isn't a good receiver (or at least inferior to Fournette) so he is not the 3rd down or hurry up or catch up mode back.

In the Giants game, Rojo started the first 2 series.  On the 2nd, he "fumbled".  The next series was probably going to be Fournette anyway.  And then the 4th series was at the end of the half so it was Fournette in there.  If I'm not mistaken, Rojo was in for the first series of the 3rd quarter (after the Giant's first posession)

It looked bad because Rojo didn't play from like the mid-late 1st quarter until middle of the 3rd, but there is an argument that he wasn't even benched, even though everyone on this forum figures that he was.

The Saints game, they were in catchup mode from the beginning of the 2nd quarter, so that going to be all Fournette regardless of whether Rojo was in the doghouse or not.  That is Fournette's job currently.

Forget about "earning BA's trust".  The big thing that Rojo has to do is get the 3rd down / hurry up role back from Fournette.  Otherwise he can play flawlessly and he's going to be tough to start anyway.

• Like 1

This is from preseason - https://www.tampabay.com/sports/bucs/2020/08/23/bruce-arians-unacceptable-drops-by-running-backs-must-stop/

BA's lack of faith in Rojo in the passing game is not new.  It's an ongoing problem for Rojo.  I'd argue that this article played a big part in why they signed Fournette.

Edited by kp96
3 hours ago, kp96 said:

Per Playerprofiler.com, he drops passes at a 14.3% clip, which is the worst in the NFL.

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/ronald-jones/

His hands deserve all the crap they are getting.

Most of his are check downs when Brady is under duress. Rarely anything designed for him. Hence why Fournette gets better balls thrown to him. In watching the games most of the drops were awful throws to begin with. They just happen to be “catchable”.

• Haha 2
24 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

Most of his are check downs when Brady is under duress. Rarely anything designed for him. Hence why Fournette gets better balls thrown to him. In watching the games most of the drops were awful throws to begin with. They just happen to be “catchable”.

The excuses are endless.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, THE_MAGIC_MAN said:

so who has him and probably starting him? buccs could score 50 this week and I want a part of it.

No way i start him. Fournette could take most of that 50 or RoJo could blow up. Dont trust it. 

7 hours ago, THE_MAGIC_MAN said:

so who has him and probably starting him? buccs could score 50 this week and I want a part of it.

Decent chance I am. I don't feel great about it but RB sucks this year so it's not as disastrous as it sounds

16 hours ago, fbi314159 said:

If RoJo is obvious crap and can't be trusted then how is it that the coach keeps putting him out there to start the game after these benchings?

He started the first three series of last weeks game until Brady's poor play and interceptions game scripted out all running.

I'll bet you RoJo starts this week's game and will get close to 50% of touches until he gets game scripted out or he drops a pass.  Who cares that Arians has all this time studying the films and seeing him all the time in practice?  This could be a valid point if he just benched RoJo and didn't continue to run him out at the start of games unless he had no choice.  If you don't trust the guy then don't put him out there to start unless absolutely necessary.  I never claimed he had anything personal out for RoJo, he is just showing capriciousness which is a piss poor quality in a head coach.

Bingo

The attempts to rationalize Arians usage are simply out of touch with what’s happening on the field.   And it’s not a new thing for Bench ‘em Bruce 

• Like 2