NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ronald Jones 2020 Outlook

21 minutes ago, kp96 said:

Oh come on.  Fournette had an obscene amount of touches last year.

But anyway, good luck.  I'm about to give up trying to figure out what happens in this backfield.  Absolutely nobody could have predicted yesterday's explosion.

yeah 4net did have a lot of touches last year, so much so that he is now wasted, clearly evident if you watch him play.

RoJo had two bad games in a row, the one against NO cannot be applied towards the data because it was an anomaly, the whole buccaneers team put up duds. 

RoJo has been pretty consistent all season even if 4net has been a thorn in his side.

If you know Tom Brady he ALWAYS bounces back from an ugly defeat, and the reason in which they lost will be a focus on the next game; this means the running game will be game planned in very heavily. Panthers have not been able to defend the run ALL SEASON, THIS a recipe for success.

Probably most cannot predict a 98 yard ground bomb, but a huge running game wasn't outside the realm of possibility. this is why both fournette and rojo was considered a top 36 play this weekend.

Not going to bench him after technically one bad game, and I wasn't as confident in starting him this week then I will be going forward, but the fact that BA kept feeding RoJo after the fumble gives a shred of hope that RoJo will be lead back from here on out.

Gotta learn how to read the tea leaves better, i'm not always correct mind you, but i'm not surprised by the ground output this week from the Buccs.

Edited by THE_MAGIC_MAN
speeling
  • Like 1
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok I put on my two pairs of glasses, face shield, newsboy cap and headset on. Let's try this again:

Rojo Truthers Unite! He is going to be fine.     

This guy is destroying every pair of slacks I own

Posted Images

1 hour ago, kp96 said:

But anyway, good luck.  I'm about to give up trying to figure out what happens in this backfield.  Absolutely nobody could have predicted yesterday's explosion.

I'm among those who didn't play him and thought he was done after seeing the one fumble early in the game. BUT I want to call one thing out - the only reason nobody could have predicted yesterday's explosion was because of volume and coaching decisions. A lot of folks here love his talent and how he has developed (...) over the last 1-2 years.

There's a huge difference between that and doubting his overall talent; a huge difference between not trusting Arian's whims, and not trusting that Rojo is a better, more explosive backfield option than LF. No doubt this rollercoaster ride is not yet over, but at this point can anyone argue that Rojo does things LF could only dream of?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, kp96 said:

You tell em.   Not like Carolina gets blasted on the ground weekly.   

2 hours ago, kp96 said:

Almost nobody can predict a 200 yard rushing explosion(because 98 yard TDs are rare) but this game did set up like Rojo could do well. I will say as fickle as Arians has seemed at times, they do keep coming back to Rojo which has instilled a tiny bit of confidence as a fantasy owner. Clearly, they think he can help the team. And you can see why watching him and Fournette run. Week 8 was the game he fumbled and was basically banished for most of the game afterwards, even though it was a close game and they were still running alot Fournette got all the touches. Seemed like a changing of the guard and the lowest point of the season for Rojo. Week 9 was the disaster against the Saints but Rojo came out and got the touches before it got out of hand.

Because of that I was looking at the Carolina game as a spot he could do pretty well. When I saw that fumble early though I thought all hope was lost. Crazy he kept getting touches and redeemed himself in such spectacular fashion. This may be the high point of the season for Rojo but I still think he has some really good games left in him. The situation just scares me because of what Arians did in week 8, and imagining that happening in the fantasy playoffs is terrifying

4 minutes ago, owenmills said:

Almost nobody can predict a 200 yard rushing explosion(because 98 yard TDs are rare) but this game did set up like Rojo could do well. I will say as fickle as Arians has seemed at times, they do keep coming back to Rojo which has instilled a tiny bit of confidence as a fantasy owner. Clearly, they think he can help the team. And you can see why watching him and Fournette run. Week 8 was the game he fumbled and was basically banished for most of the game afterwards, even though it was a close game and they were still running alot Fournette got all the touches. Seemed like a changing of the guard and the lowest point of the season for Rojo. Week 9 was the disaster against the Saints but Rojo came out and got the touches before it got out of hand.

Because of that I was looking at the Carolina game as a spot he could do pretty well. When I saw that fumble early though I thought all hope was lost. Crazy he kept getting touches and redeemed himself in such spectacular fashion. This may be the high point of the season for Rojo but I still think he has some really good games left in him. The situation just scares me because of what Arians did in week 8, and imagining that happening in the fantasy playoffs is terrifying

I just wish they would waive fournette like miami did jo howard.  Use lesean as the nickel back

26 minutes ago, owenmills said:

Pretty much sums up my thoughts as well.  I knew RoJo would get an opportunity, but thought it flew out the window with the fumble as well.  He has a sweet playoff schedule if he can firmly establish himself as the rushing running back.  Luckily I have the depth to keep him on the bench until it becomes apparent or not.

3 hours ago, kp96 said:

Except someone did. On the week 10 bold predictions article for fantasy pros, dated Saturday Nov 14th. I put the link on here as well if you wanted to read it. Kudos to Joshua Lefkowitz for his bold call.

Ronald Jones (RB – TB) gets back into the good graces of the Tampa Bay coaching staff, records 100 scrimmage yards and a touchdown, outscoring and out-snapping Leonard Fournette. Jones has been extremely impactful as a runner and in the passing game when he has the coaching staff’s trust. However, a fumble and a few dropped passes have put Jones on a short leash. This will change once again, as Jones will go off for over 100 yards from scrimmage and find the end zone. He will outperform Fournette, who has significantly cut into Jones’ production in 2020. Jones is a low-end RB2 with an opportunity to prove to his coaching staff and fantasy managers why he was an RB1 at one point this season.”

https://www.fantasypros.com/2020/11/week-10-bold-predictions-2020-fantasy-football/

Too many of you Uncle Lenny guys out there, y’all gotta see the light man.

Edited by Shake
  • Like 3
12 minutes ago, Shake said:

Except someone did. On the week 10 bold predictions article for fantasy pros, dated Saturday Nov 14th. I put the link on here as well if you wanted to read it. Kudos to Joshua Lefkowitz for his bold call.

Ronald Jones (RB – TB) gets back into the good graces of the Tampa Bay coaching staff, records 100 scrimmage yards and a touchdown, outscoring and out-snapping Leonard Fournette. Jones has been extremely impactful as a runner and in the passing game when he has the coaching staff’s trust. However, a fumble and a few dropped passes have put Jones on a short leash. This will change once again, as Jones will go off for over 100 yards from scrimmage and find the end zone. He will outperform Fournette, who has significantly cut into Jones’ production in 2020. Jones is a low-end RB2 with an opportunity to prove to his coaching staff and fantasy managers why he was an RB1 at one point this season.”

https://www.fantasypros.com/2020/11/week-10-bold-predictions-2020-fantasy-football/

Too many of you Uncle Lenny guys out there, y’all gotta see the light man.

Gah I wish I would’ve seen this before game time. Might’ve urged me to start him. I use the fantasy pros “who should I start” resource when I can’t decide and 90% of “experts” chose both Gio and Duke over Ronald. Which we all know how that turned out. Seems a lot of people were down on him (including my sorry a$$) but congrats to those who started him. Well deserved. 

15 minutes ago, Krustyburger said:

I missed it but the fumble must not have been Rojos fault if he went on to do just what he did.

Starting with confidence going forward

Pretty sure it was his fault. They sent Fournette out there the next drive but he looked awful and they went back to Ronald. 

Brady does a pre game Sunday night interview with Jim Gray and he was talking about Rojos run and how excited he was for him. He mentioned he ran the entire length of the field to congratulate him and it’s the furthest he’s ran on a football field and he believes the longest TD run he’s seen. Seems like he’s in good graces with the GOAT and well liked by teammates which goes a long ways. Please lead us to glory, Ronald. 

Edited by TeflonDonNewcombe
  • Like 2
43 minutes ago, Krustyburger said:

I missed it but the fumble must not have been Rojos fault if he went on to do just what he did.

Starting with confidence going forward

It was totally his fault.  It was punched out, but he is supposed to protect the ball.

Edited by fbi314159
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, fbi314159 said:

It was totally his fault.  It was punched out, but he is supposed to protect the ball.

The thing is when Rojo messed up before, Bruce had no hesitation in taking him out and keeping him out. That was not the case yesterday and Jones made hay, allowing TB to flourish in the process.

So either Bruce has changed his tune or maybe the fumble wasn't down to Rojo.

The coaches have all the modern metrics so I'm leaning towards the latter on this one

1 hour ago, gmoneypm said:

How do we feel about him this week? A must play?

There is no question that he is the RB1 of the team and will get the lions share of the carries but they play a very stout Rams defense. It seems like they keep getting better and better each week. 

Seahawks backs caught a handful of passes out the backfield, this means RoJo is good for at least one fumble! Lets see how BA will feel about that this weekend. But yeah.. not expecting a huge amount of ground yardage. If RoJo gets me 10pts this week in PPR, i'd be okay with it.

1 hour ago, gmoneypm said:

There is no question that he is the RB1 of the team and will get the lions share of the carries but they play a very stout Rams defense.

As long Arians is the head coach there is still the question.  It will take more than one week for me to feel confident enough to play him.

Luckily, I am deep enough at RB that I can let the situation develop, although I don't see him cracking my starting rotation RoS.  Still rooting for him though.

On 11/16/2020 at 6:33 PM, Impreza178 said:

You tell em.   Not like Carolina gets blasted on the ground weekly.   

Rojo stats the previous three games -

- 13/34/1 rushing 1/2/0 receiving

- 7/23/0 rushing 4/23/0 receiving

- 3/9/0 rushing, 3/9/0 receiving

You're telling me after this that you expected him to go off against Car?  If so, prove it.  Show me your lineup where you started Rojo and who you started him over.  And it should be a good player you started him.  Then I'll believe you

On 11/11/2020 at 10:16 AM, Impreza178 said:

So it is.   Rojo and Leo are basically desperation flexes.  

This is what you posted about Rojo before he played Carolina, and now you're all like "Carolina always lets up big games to RBs.  I saw the big game coming"?  C'mon.  Stop with the Monday Morning quarterbacking please.

On 11/9/2020 at 9:03 AM, owenmills said:

He's probably a match-up play now unless Fournette gets hurt again. If they're handling a team easily Rojo could get his touches and score fantasy points. Otherwise way too risky since he's not heavily involved in the passing game

This is what I said last week. I think I still feel that way. I started him last week because my options were very thin, but I'm actually thinking about sitting him this week because it's a really tough match-up and I lucked into some decent options. I'll probably end up daydreaming about that 98 yd TD Sunday morning and plug him in last minute though

• Like 1

Unfortunately, due to a midweek concussion on Swift, I am likely to FLEX him.

Rams are tough against the run, but I don't see them running away with this game, so I can see RoJo getting his opportunities.  Before Sunday, I almost certainly would have flexed one of my other WR.  Last Sunday's usage (not necessarily total points) makes me feel a bit safer FLEXing him.  I'm still not expecting much, but I think he can output a solid 8-9 points (non-PPR).

Surely Arians learned what works for his offense last week. And a lot of that has to do with serious volume for Rojo. I think Bruce knows this after shipping him too early after ronnies mistakes in previous games, he didn't do that last time. Give him the ball and he will produce, and if Rojo produces so does Tom Brady

• Like 2
3 hours ago, kp96 said:

Rojo stats the previous three games -

- 13/34/1 rushing 1/2/0 receiving

- 7/23/0 rushing 4/23/0 receiving

- 3/9/0 rushing, 3/9/0 receiving

You're telling me after this that you expected him to go off against Car?  If so, prove it.  Show me your lineup where you started Rojo and who you started him over.  And it should be a good player you started him.  Then I'll believe you

spacer.png

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Krustyburger said:

Surely Arians learned what works for his offense last week. And a lot of that has to do with serious volume for Rojo. I think Bruce knows this after shipping him too early after ronnies mistakes in previous games, he didn't do that last time. Give him the ball and he will produce, and if Rojo produces so does Tom Brady

Conventional fantasy football wisdom does not always equate to head coach decisions. And don't call him Shirley.

spacer.png

• Haha 2