NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ronald Jones 2020 Outlook

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok I put on my two pairs of glasses, face shield, newsboy cap and headset on. Let's try this again:

Rojo Truthers Unite! He is going to be fine.     

This guy is destroying every pair of slacks I own

Posted Images

Bucs placed RB Ronald Jones on the reserve/COVID-19 list.

Jones was already questionable for Week 15 after having surgery on his broken finger. He'll now miss at least the next five days if he's a close contact. This likely rules out Jones for Sunday's game with the Falcons.

He should  return week 16 against Detroit's swiss cheese defense right? Obviously we need to make it to week 16 but if we do he should pop off and win some ships. Just trying to look at the bright side here. Hopefully you all have some viable alternatives in the meantime because I wouldn't trust any of the other guys in the  backfield. 

7 minutes ago, iamkoza said:

seems unlikely to play? he likely has covid otherwise he would have been activated by now. 10 days from last wednesday is saturday. are they going to suit him up w/zero practice on saturday?

If the finger issue was going to keep him out, they'd have no incentive to activate him off the COVID list Saturday and give up a roster spot, right? Seems like the finger may be the bigger obstacle to him playing this weekend. They may be cautious with him since Uncle Lenny is serviceable and they'll want him 100% for the playoffs. 

Mike Tagliere wrote a piece implying he'll be suiting up. Other than that I've heard virtually no news but if he's active he's a no brainer start. Lenny still looked terrible but just happened to fall into the end zone twice from the 1 yard line. Rojo is still the guy and has an absolute smash spot again the Lions. 

Ronald Jones II Week 16 Outlook - Buccaneers at Lions

By Mike Tagliere (FantasyPros), Mon, Dec 21st 2020, 4:43pm EST

Sure, Fournette found the end zone twice, but that's the caveat of having the workhorse role in a high-scoring offense. He totaled just 49 yards on his 14 carries, though it was a tough matchup against the Falcons run defense. Whatever the case, we should expect Jones to resume as the primary back this week. Why is that? According to NFL's NextGenStats, Jones has averaged 1.13 yards per carry more than he was expected to this year, which is tied for the second-highest mark in the NFL. If he were to have been simply an average running back, he would be sitting on 696 rushing yards instead of the 900 that he is. Meanwhile, Fournette has averaged -0.26 yards per carry less than expected and has 21 fewer yards than the average running back would. The Lions are the team who's allowed more fantasy points per game to opponents as a whole, but it's even better for running backs, as they've accounted for 37.9 percent of the fantasy production to skill-position players, which is behind only the Packers. The 31.9 PPR points per game they've allowed to running backs is the most in the league, while the Texans are the only other team who's allowed more than 28.8 PPR points per game to them. It's not just volume, either. When you factor in weighted volume, they've allowed the most PPR points per opportunity in the NFL by a full 3.7 percent. Targets are worth a ton against them, as the league-leading 1.96 PPR points per target highlights (no other team is over 1.83). Because of that, they've allowed the second-most fantasy points through the air to running backs. The downside is that Jones has caught just three balls over his last four games, while Brady has targeted the wide receivers more often. Still, there should be enough production on the ground to carry him into at least RB2 territory. There's also a ceiling to be had, as there have been six different running backs who've scored multiple touchdowns. There have now been 16 different running backs who've finished as a top-20 options against the Lions. They've played 14 games. The question becomes: How much do they involve Fournette after he played competently in Week 15? That's why Jones remains in RB2 territory.

Whatever the case, we should expect Jones to resume as the primary back this week. Why is that? According to NFL's NextGenStats, Jones has averaged 1.13 yards per carry more than he was expected to this year, which is tied for the second-highest mark in the NFL.

Well... according to NextGenStats season long projections... he will be healthy this week.

• Haha 1
21 minutes ago, iamkoza said:

that piece merely explains why if he's active he'll start over fournette

Well that is a no brainer... but the piece is written as though Ronald is expected to play Saturday. I just haven't heard any news on the situation.. I'm just looking for some sort of indication on his status before I have to go dumpster diving [...]

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed assistant coach content
44 minutes ago, TeflonDonNewcombe said:

Well that is a no brainer... but the piece is written as though Ronald is expected to play Saturday. I just haven't heard any news on the situation.. I'm just looking for some sort of indication on his status before I have to go dumpster diving [...]

i disagree. it does not mention covid at all. the writer apparently thinks rojo will be cleared in time though i dont see any reason to think he has any actual inforamtion to back that up.

i guess i hope at tomorrow's presser w/arians we get some clarity on his status