NBC Sports Edge Forums

Coronavirus 2020 Discussion

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thinking like this is going to get many people infected and killed. As a frontline responder, I hope you will be able to actually look at the evidence without the partisan chicanery. Recent polls show

Posted Images

19 hours ago, Gohawks said:

I’m confused. 

Is this a fantasy football forum or a ******** reddit thread?

I get this premise. However, it cant really be disputed that this virus and the game of football have collided, yes?

We are not having OTAs and mini-camps and the draft is in a never before seen situation, but we are not to talk about this topic or why we are here? 

This is where your reputation of relying on truth matters. That phrase keeping them honest meant something at one point.

If we do not talk about this situation and keep it honest, we are not talking football as this game is impacted directly because of "political" decisions. 

I am open to uncomfortable discussions on this as we are in a situation that effects all of us for the first time in 100 years. 

The mods it appears can lock this up, but this is a healthy discussion it appears to me. Sorry you disagree, but hopefully you can discuss why you think the exact thing that is effecting the game shouldnt be discussed? 

8 hours ago, Rona said:

I get this premise. However, it cant really be disputed that this virus and the game of football have collided, yes?

We are not having OTAs and mini-camps and the draft is in a never before seen situation, but we are not to talk about this topic or why we are here? 

This is where your reputation of relying on truth matters. That phrase keeping them honest meant something at one point.

If we do not talk about this situation and keep it honest, we are not talking football as this game is impacted directly because of "political" decisions. 

I am open to uncomfortable discussions on this as we are in a situation that effects all of us for the first time in 100 years. 

The mods it appears can lock this up, but this is a healthy discussion it appears to me. Sorry you disagree, but hopefully you can discuss why you think the exact thing that is effecting the game shouldnt be discussed? 

i didn’t read too much of this thread but of what I did read you’ve spent more time talking **** about Trump than the ramifications the virus will have on football. 

You do not get the premise. The premise was if I want to go and read a bunch of posts about how Trump is bad I’ll go to reddit. 

However, while we are here, do me a favor and go look at the model projections over time. They overshot the death counts. By A LOT. Multiple times. You then proceed to claim we have the worst response by a country with nothing to support your claims. We are 14th in deaths per 1 million. Furthermore, the USA has actually tested more than countries like France and Spain (again adjusting for population). This isn’t even taking into account how a lot of countries are not reporting accurately while the US is chalking everything up to a COVID death If a person has it. Has the US done a perfect job? No. The worst? Give me a break. 

Dragging politics onto a football forum is bad on its own but if you are going to do it at least be accurate. 

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

i didn’t read too much of this thread but of what I did read you’ve spent more time talking **** about Trump than the ramifications the virus will have on football. 

You do not get the premise. The premise was if I want to go and read a bunch of posts about how Trump is bad I’ll go to reddit. 

However, while we are here, do me a favor and go look at the model projections over time. They overshot the death counts. By A LOT. Multiple times. You then proceed to claim we have the worst response by a country with nothing to support your claims. We are 14th in deaths per 1 million. Furthermore, the USA has actually tested more than countries like France and Spain (again adjusting for population). This isn’t even taking into account how a lot of countries are not reporting accurately while the US is chalking everything up to a COVID death If a person has it. Has the US done a perfect job? No. The worst? Give me a break. 

Dragging politics onto a football forum is bad on its own but if you are going to do it at least be accurate. 

Fact... USA is ahead in deaths. and it ain’t even close and a lot of more deaths are coming 

IMO... The president of the USA is a pompous a@@ aka .. a complete moron. 
and the 2020 football season will be cancelled. 

58 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Why do you keep bringing reddit into this? And theres not really much happening in sports, why not talk about the virus?

The US might not be the worst response but it is horrible for a country that claims to be the best in the world

3 hours ago, shakestreet said:

Fact... USA is ahead in deaths. and it ain’t even close and a lot of more deaths are coming 

IMO... The president of the USA is a pompous a@@ aka .. a complete moron. 
and the 2020 football season will be cancelled. 

Calculating deaths without factoring in the population of the country is flat out deception to the level of lying. Paltering is extremely common in politics and this is no exception. Nor is it even a “fact” as that implies you believe the numbers China has reported. 

3 hours ago, bhawks489 said:

Why do you keep bringing reddit into this? And theres not really much happening in sports, why not talk about the virus?

The US might not be the worst response but it is horrible for a country that claims to be the best in the world

China handled it horribly as did literally the entire continent of Europe. USA is also the 3rd most visited country in the world. It handled it about as badly as all the other major countries. The only reason we see it getting so much **** is because Trump is president. 

38 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Calculating deaths without factoring in the population of the country is flat out deception to the level of lying. Paltering is extremely common in politics and this is no exception. Nor is it even a “fact” as that implies you believe the numbers China has reported. 

China handled it horribly as did literally the entire continent of Europe. USA is also the 3rd most visited country in the world. It handled it about as badly as all the other major countries. The only reason we see it getting so much **** is because Trump is president. 

Not like we're really doing better in terms of deaths per capita.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/total-covid-deaths-per-million

3 hours ago, ajs723 said:

Not like we're really doing better in terms of deaths per capita.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/total-covid-deaths-per-million

USA isn’t doing better because they didn’t handle it way better than other countries. However, we aren’t doing worse than most of Europe and some other countries. It’s really hard to judge underdeveloped countries because they aren’t testing. 

My issue is with the narrative that the US has somehow handled this way worse than everyone else because it leads the world in death count. That’s just lazy and a flat out false comparison at best.

23 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

USA isn’t doing better because they didn’t handle it way better than other countries. However, we aren’t doing worse than most of Europe and some other countries. It’s really hard to judge underdeveloped countries because they aren’t testing. 

My issue is with the narrative that the US has somehow handled this way worse than everyone else because it leads the world in death count. That’s just lazy and a flat out false comparison at best.

Dude, i think we're just tanking for a high draft pick.

Maybe we could draft a group of German scientists in the early first round?

They appear to have strong measurables and better game-awareness. This strategy worked for us in WW2: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/why-us-government-brought-nazi-scientists-america-after-world-war-ii-180961110/

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, Gohawks said:

The world is consumed and this very game is consumed by an unprecedented pandemic. Any person who wants to face reality knows politics has played some role in that. I can kinda pick up on the world you live in, the one that called this virus a hoax for months while people died.

I didnt come at anyone, I came at the situation. It appears you are coming at me and thats unfortunate, you even had to curse. Be Best. Im new to this site, and I want to post here, but it appears you cant have this convo in the appropriate way. So, I'll put it like this, If you disputed that Drew Brees had the most passing yards of all time, you would be ridiculed. That is called keeping people honest.

Football is hindered by a virus, a virus we know Trump knew about long ago. To assume the most powerful man in the world didnt know about this long ago, is a litmus test. And if he didnt know, its malpractice, either way, politics is now in this game right now. Its all connected, the weird world we live in where football and partisan politics smash head on.

We cant deny water is wet, for politics or otherwise. If the debate in the political world became is water wet, or is the Earth flat, the sheer discussion of water and telescopes would be political. Much like the indisputable fact that climate is changing has made the fact that Temps are rising political. We cant talk facts because we made doing so political.

We have the most cases and deaths and the virus didnt originate here and we dont even have the largest population of countries infected. That is because of one man, no one else, not another person is responsible for what has happened to this country other than one, Donald J. Trump. My President.

So, its clear based off of the pure fact that Brees has more yards passing than anyone else that Brees is the passing yards leader.

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Gohawks said:

Numbers are statistical facts. I dont trust Bill and the Patriots, but its a fact they have 6 SBs.

The fact we are the 3rd most visited country and people were still allowed to visit in January goes against your point and doesnt help you. It proves the response was beyond absurdly awful as Trump knew about this in January at the latest. Heck the public knew about it if you were following the news in December. 

So this rhetoric that we do not have the worst response flies in the face of all the facts that are already in the public sphere. Because of that, we will not have football for a while.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Rona said:

The world is consumed and this very game is consumed by an unprecedented pandemic. Any person who wants to face reality knows politics has played some role in that. I can kinda pick up on the world you live in, the one that called this virus a hoax for months while people died.

uxrkLl2.jpg

• Like 3

Pretty much everyone involved in the federal government botched this entire situation in one way or another tbh. I can't think of a single person who has done everything right from the jump regarding coronavirus.

• Thanks 1
Just now, Br0kenB said:

Pretty much everyone involved in the federal government botched this entire situation in one way or another tbh. I can't think of a single person who has done everything right from the jump regarding coronavirus.

I'm grateful for all the dedicated health professionals who are working to identify and treat patients and provide guidance.  Organizationally there have been some major issues, and at a political level I'd definitely say I agree they have been more of a problem than a solution.  But individually I'm glad for people along the front lines who are adapting as best they can to an insane situation and saving lives.

• Like 3
On 4/11/2020 at 5:20 AM, Rona said:

Im not really into the politics here on a football forum, but its being discuss and its almost undeniable we are going to have a delay in football because of the slow reaction and the current situation not getting better from our leaders.

Since its being discussed and its cordial, his peeps Loeffler and Burr made trades, no? Trades that any other human on this planet would have been arrested for, no? They knew Another point is, there is no easier way for a President to make money touting a drug company he owns through a mutual process from the white house podium with millions watching. To be honest, not a single easier way I can think of.  Also, if he has commodity futures, how can he have the best interest of the country in mind, ever? I mean they are futures. He can make decisions just to help those.

Also, fun fact, Ivanka has a trademark on coffins. I knew if I owned a trademark on gatorade and people were thristy all of a sudden, I wouldnt want them to stop being thirsty. 

I really dont think you can call having the worst outbreak for a country a good response, so I hope no one is doing that, I have not read the entire thead, but as a new poster it does help me know about your judgement and thats good for when I read your player opinions. 😉

With the amount of money he has, you mentioned? He has never shown his taxes and his bankruptcy is public. Im not really seeing all the money he has, I do see some personal checks he wrote to Stormy, and that he has a lot of loans he fights hard to not let us learn about, so thats the only thing I can tell about his finances. 

On top of that, I just dont trust anything he says about this topic at all. The fact checking on things he says is absurd to say the least. They have numbers on such things he is disputing. If we disputed stats here on paper, we would be so shamed to not post here anymore. 

I'm pretty much in the middle in terms of politics so I'm certainly not a diehard Trump supporter.  But regardless of who the president is at this point in time, they're going to get bashed by the other side.

Sure...he hasn't released his tax records but for you to infer that he doesn't have much money is ludicrous.  And as ridiculous as his Tweets seem, don't equate that with him being completely stupid.   He's not going to try to pump up some company his mutual fund owns for financial benefit.  

And lol at your comment about Ivanka and coffins.  That's just lunacy. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Rona said:

I didnt come at anyone, I came at the situation. It appears you are coming at me and thats unfortunate, you even had to curse. Be Best. Im new to this site, and I want to post here, but it appears you cant have this convo in the appropriate way. So, I'll put it like this, If you disputed that Drew Brees had the most passing yards of all time, you would be ridiculed. That is called keeping people honest.

Football is hindered by a virus, a virus we know Trump knew about long ago. To assume the most powerful man in the world didnt know about this long ago, is a litmus test. And if he didnt know, its malpractice, either way, politics is now in this game right now. Its all connected, the weird world we live in where football and partisan politics smash head on.

We cant deny water is wet, for politics or otherwise. If the debate in the political world became is water wet, or is the Earth flat, the sheer discussion of water and telescopes would be political. Much like the indisputable fact that climate is changing has made the fact that Temps are rising political. We cant talk facts because we made doing so political.

We have the most cases and deaths and the virus didnt originate here and we dont even have the largest population of countries infected. That is because of one man, no one else, not another person is responsible for what has happened to this country other than one, Donald J. Trump. My President.

So, its clear based off of the pure fact that Brees has more yards passing than anyone else that Brees is the passing yards leader.

You state a fact and then twist the fact to represent a mistruth. Brees has the most passing yards which is a fact. Brees has the most passing yards thus he is the GOAT. Do you see the difference here? 

Now, you bringing up the hoax argument tells me everything I need to know. That is that you do not do adequate research to support your claims.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-coronavirus-rally-remark/

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/03/trump-and-the-new-hoax/

This, along with claiming Trump defunded the CDC (he didn’t) is one of the easiest ways to spot if someone is misinformed. It’s a lie that’s been manufactured by the mainstream media for one reason and the reason is not difficult to spot.

Finally, not once in my post did I come for you. My language was not directed at you and that is obvious as it was clearly used to emphasize a point. This is a football forum not a scientific journal. If misinformation is spread I’ll call it out. Nice attempt to manufacture ad hominem where it doesn’t exist.

You clearly have a deep hatred for Trump by how you structure your comments. Personally, I have my own gripes with him nor do I lean right politically. However, you seem to be of the crowd that thinks no matter what Trump does it’s wrong. So clearly this discussion will lead nowhere thus there’s no point in continuing it. 

14 hours ago, Gohawks said:

Well he was constantly downplaying the whole thing and he’s been trying to get people back to work so the stock market goes back up. That’s all he really cares about. The criticism is justified imo. 

i really don’t think it should be a pissing match of who has more deaths per population either. That’s dumb as f--- 

Europe generally has a higher elderly percentage than the US and they are more vulnerable to the virus which is why you probably see more deaths in places like Italy, Spain, etc

Edited by bhawks489
1 hour ago, bhawks489 said:

Well he was constantly downplaying the whole thing and he’s been trying to get people back to work so the stock market goes back up. That’s all he really cares about. The criticism is justified imo. 

i really don’t think it should be a pissing match of who has more deaths per population either. That’s dumb as f--- 

Europe generally has a higher elderly percentage than the US and they are more vulnerable to the virus which is why you probably see more deaths in places like Italy, Spain, etc

USA has higher diabetes rates than pretty much all of Europe as well. I agree that you cannot point to one statistic as justification especially when a lot of these statistics are skewed (China lying and a lot of countries still not testing properly). Plus, if you do not use deaths but just cases USA is even lower. The point is, you have to look at the big picture and using deaths without even adjusting them is about as small as the picture can get. 

I do agree criticism is justified. However there is a big difference. This is criticism:

- USA has handled the outbreak poorly

- Trump started to take COVID seriously too late

- Trump cares too much about the market

- Etc

This is pushing a political agenda and straight up deception:

- USA has handled this the worst out of everyone

- This is all Trumps fault

- Trump cut the CDC

- Trump called it a hoax

- Trump is killing people

See the difference? The first example can be argued and debated to the extent those things are done. However, once somebody starts arguing from the second set of points there is no point in trying to have a debate. They clearly have more interest in pushing a political agenda than actually have a real and legitimate discussion about the issue. Purposefully lying is deceptive and at best it is negligent. One quick Google search will disprove for example that Trump called the virus a hoax. So clearly posters that would make such a claim have no interest in facts. 

So yes, criticism is 100% justified. However, it is only justified if it is accurate. "The" criticism depends what criticism you refer to. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On 4/13/2020 at 11:25 AM, predator_05 said:

Dude, i think we're just tanking for a high draft pick.

Maybe we could draft a group of German scientists in the early first round?

They appear to have strong measurables and better game-awareness. This strategy worked for us in WW2: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/why-us-government-brought-nazi-scientists-america-after-world-war-ii-180961110/

Maybe draft is the best way after free agency failed:
https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-administration-tried-to-pay-germans-scientists-for-coronavirus-cure-2020-3?r=DE&IR=T

Also in regards...I am not sure there is even a good way to handle this epidemic properly.

What I don't understand is people still going out to easter egg hunts and demonstrations. That's moronic in my eyes :) 

Edited by thebadferret
  • Like 1
13 hours ago, Silent-Trader said:

They're saying the 49ers losing might have saved lives because the celebration after their win would have spread the virus exponentially. It's an interesting hypothesis:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-wisconsin-election-coronavirus-jill-karofsky-daniel-kelly-191815207.html

When will the NFL end the small market bias?  🤣

On 4/13/2020 at 3:24 PM, bhawks489 said:

Wow ... just wrong.

Read the facts. China (Communist Chinese Party -- CCP) and the World Health Organization (WHO) downplayed, hid, discounted and denied this virus was a problem. They even stated that there was no human-to-human transfer of the virus. All lies and deception. The people responsible for this horrific situation are the CCP and the WHO, PERIOD. Stop blaming Trump, because more of this crap will be coming from China year after year after year. Ever ask yourself, why do we put up the annual flu from China? And, why won't the WHO do something about it? Thank you Trump for the EARLY closing of all travel from China ... keep it closed until China stops exporting this crap year after year, after year after year .... enough is enough. I personally am done with the annual flu shot we have to take because of China. China has to change and until they do, keep all travel from there closed. China kills 30-50k Americans every year with their fraking annual flu bullsh*t.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Blazer said:

Wow ... just wrong.

Read the facts. China (Communist Chinese Party -- CCP) and the World Health Organization (WHO) downplayed, hid, discounted and denied this virus was a problem. They even stated that there was no human-to-human transfer of the virus. All lies and deception. The people responsible for this horrific situation are the CCP and the WHO, PERIOD. Stop blaming Trump, because more of this crap will be coming from China year after year after year. Ever ask yourself, why do we put up the annual flu from China? And, why won't the WHO do something about it? Thank you Trump for the EARLY closing of all travel from China ... keep it closed until China stops exporting this crap year after year, after year after year .... enough is enough. I personally am done with the annual flu shot we have to take because of China. China has to change and until they do, keep all travel from there closed. China kills 30-50k Americans every year with their fraking annual flu bullsh*t.

Wow lmao.

2 things can be true here. Trump did not respond well AND china is lying. 

Quit thinking that these are mutually exclusive and quit defending your orange messiah

1 minute ago, bhawks489 said:

Wow lmao.

2 things can be true here. Trump did not respond well AND china is lying. 

Quit thinking that these are mutually exclusive and quit defending your orange messiah

Wow ... how can you be "lmao."

Point to one thing in my post that is worthy of "laughing" about and is not true. China will continue to send this crap to us every year, as they have done for decades, until there are changes made in China. Trump shut down travel from China in Jan and was attacked by the left as being a racist. So, who acted slowly? The left, who wanted to keep travel from China open (many more thousands of deaths would have resulted) or Trump who shut it down? The facts will set you free.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1