NBC Sports Edge Forums

Coronavirus 2020 Discussion

1 minute ago, Gohawks said:

You responded to the comment by stating things that have been disproven as lies over and over again. That’s a worry.

Now you're just nit-picking looking for something to argue about. There's literally a whole thread full of things to rage at. Pick one you like.

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thinking like this is going to get many people infected and killed. As a frontline responder, I hope you will be able to actually look at the evidence without the partisan chicanery. Recent polls show

Posted Images

1 minute ago, DeliciousGravy said:

Now you're just nit-picking looking for something to argue about. There's literally a whole thread full of things to rage at. Pick one you like.

You claim he called it a hoax. That’s a flat out lie. It’s not spinning, misrepresenting, or anything else. It’s just a lie.

Then you choose to resort to ad hominem when i point out a blatant lie. The last thing I want to do is talk politics but what the hell do you expect to happen when you post a lie?

I wasn’t planning on responding to any more of your posts as it would just result in running in circles. However, i had to respond to that. Last thing we need is to further the spread of mistruth. 

• Thanks 2
4 minutes ago, DeliciousGravy said:

Ok I'll bite. No states are fully shut down, just as no states are fully opened up. This entire idea of "we better not open up too quickly or we'll cause a second wave!" is a bunk argument that completely negates localized data and protocols. The entire point of social distancing was to prevent surge capacity at hospitals, and we are well past that mark now. Different areas will be opening up at different speeds and fear mongering people who just want to get on with their lives won't win you as many votes as you think.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

I wasn’t planning on responding to any more of your posts as it would just result in running in circles. However, i had to respond to that. Last thing we need is to further the spread of mistruth. 

As opposed to all the other mistruths that have come from the top? One piece of spin and we have to defend his honour? Please.

3 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

Ok I'll bite. No states are fully shut down, just as no states are fully opened up. This entire idea of "we better not open up too quickly or we'll cause a second wave!" is a bunk argument that completely negates localized data and protocols. The entire point of social distancing was to prevent surge capacity at hospitals, and we are well past that mark now. Different areas will be opening up at different speeds and fear mongering people who just want to get on with their lives won't win you as many votes as you think.

I'm really confused as to how this is fear mongering. The pandemic is happening. People are dying. No thought is being given as to what to do in the event that things get worse rather than better after re-opening, and yet there is this deafening crescendo of noise wanting things to go back to normal. It ignores any reality of events of the past month and looks towards some optimistic view that "she'll be right". It's that exact attitude that got things where they are right now. This isn't about votes, it's about doing the responsible thing. Somehow that's being very much lost in any discussion on the topic.

54 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

um... ok? and who should I vote for to ensure that happens? or do we have to overturn capitalism itself?

that list pretty much proves my original point though, as tragic as it may be

which means the actual fatality rate is lower than what is currently known. the majority of cases, regardless of age, do not require hospitalization. of course risks go up with age and pre-existing conditions, but even if 100% of the population somehow got infected the majority of the elderly generations would survive. 

No the elders won’t survive. 

22 minutes ago, DeliciousGravy said:

As opposed to all the other mistruths that have come from the top? One piece of spin and we have to defend his honour? Please.

I'm really confused as to how this is fear mongering. The pandemic is happening. People are dying. No thought is being given as to what to do in the event that things get worse rather than better after re-opening, and yet there is this deafening crescendo of noise wanting things to go back to normal. It ignores any reality of events of the past month and looks towards some optimistic view that "she'll be right". It's that exact attitude that got things where they are right now. This isn't about votes, it's about doing the responsible thing. Somehow that's being very much lost in any discussion on the topic.

I really dont understand where you're trying to go, do you need me to jot down the other hundreds of ways that people die daily? I mean you keep throwing this around as if you yourself just discovered death.

Yes , do a little research on the pandemics of the last 100 years and you'll see front and center that people die from it. That is a sad reality of it when it happens, very sad.

The way you and others are acting it's as if the only way to be responsible is by just shutting yourself into your house indefinitely which is totally ridiculous. People can be responsible in many ways with this while still living their lives ,that's how it works and has worked during all pandemics in history.

I really believe that what were seeing here in a vast majority of these conversations are folks who to me apparently, dont have lifes responsibilities tend to, families to feed and care for, bills, mortgages etc...because that's what it reads like to me.

I mean let me ask you, when the flu seasons are raging and 40 to 60k people are dying from it yearly....were you that concerned about them ? Or do those deaths not matter because it's not labeled a "pandemic"?

Edited by Savatage79
  • Thanks 2
8 minutes ago, Savatage79 said:

I really dont understand where you're trying to go, do you need me to jot down the other hundreds of ways that people die daily? I mean you keep throwing this around as if you yourself just discovered death.

Make a list instead that includes "unnecessary from poor public policy". I mean, why even bother with hospitals? They're just money-sinks and people are going to die anyway, right?

9 minutes ago, Savatage79 said:

Yes , do a little research on the pandemics of the last 100 years and you'll see front and center that people die from it. That is a sad reality of it when it happens, very sad.

Yes but we live in the 21st century, not the 1400's.

9 minutes ago, Savatage79 said:

The way you and others are acting it's as if the only way to be responsible is by just shutting yourself into your house indefinitely which is totally ridiculous. People can be responsible in many ways with this while still living their lives ,that's how it works and has worked during all pandemics in history.

Sure they can:

spacer.png

spacer.png

10 minutes ago, Savatage79 said:

I really believe that what were seeing here in a vast majority of these conversations are folks who to me apparently, dont have lifes responsibilities tend to, families to feed and care for, bills, mortgages etc...because that's what it reads like to me.

Do you know what? That does matter. And if I was a politician, I'd tell you there is no single easy answer out of this. The economy is going to suffer for years to a generation, depending on who you ask. There is going to be uncertainty of permanency of work, healthcare, you name it. But to be frank, things suck. It's a question of how badly do we want them to suck. Throwing open the economy for business again without addressing the concerns I mentioned above is doomed to fail. It is going to require a lot of government support to get through this. The free market isn't going to fix it. Wishing for last year isn't going to fix it. The illusion that it will all be ok if we just go back to how things were isn't going to fix it. But that's the reality. That's what you need to ask of the people you stick in a position of responsibility: how are you going to fix this?

13 minutes ago, Savatage79 said:

I mean let me ask you, when the flu seasons are raging and 40 to 60k people are dying from it yearly....were you that concerned about them ? Or do those deaths not matter because it's not labeled a "pandemic"?

Because this is worse than the flu. There is no denying that. Maybe there is a certain acceptance of death rates from influenza annually. But this is a new animal. And it hasn't hit the world with this ferocity before.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, DeliciousGravy said:

Make a list instead that includes "unnecessary from poor public policy". I mean, why even bother with hospitals? They're just money-sinks and people are going to die anyway, right?

Sure they can:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Do you know what? That does matter. And if I was a politician, I'd tell you there is no single easy answer out of this. The economy is going to suffer for years to a generation, depending on who you ask. There is going to be uncertainty of permanency of work, healthcare, you name it. But to be frank, things suck. It's a question of how badly do we want them to suck. Throwing open the economy for business again without addressing the concerns I mentioned above is doomed to fail. It is going to require a lot of government support to get through this. The free market isn't going to fix it. Wishing for last year isn't going to fix it. The illusion that it will all be ok if we just go back to how things were isn't going to fix it. But that's the reality. That's what you need to ask of the people you stick in a position of responsibility: how are you going to fix this?

Because this is worse than the flu. There is no denying that. Maybe there is a certain acceptance of death rates from influenza annually. But this is a new animal. And it hasn't hit the world with this ferocity before.

I've stated it's worse than the flu , I totally agree however my point is death is death...you can't use death as your shield in making others who want to get on with their life and take care of their families when you dont worry and or care about other spreadable deaths.  40 to 60k a year from the flu adds  up yearly so why not take such a strong stance there as well ? 

Coronavirus has a high recovery rate, funny how you dont seem to want to point that out...just be as negative as can be to look down on anyone that is saying I can be precautionary while still living and getting on with my life and helping in any other way possible.

38 minutes ago, DeliciousGravy said:

Sure they can:

spacer.png

spacer.png

If it is new, how would it have had the opportunity to?

1 hour ago, Savatage79 said:

I've stated it's worse than the flu , I totally agree however my point is death is death...you can't use death as your shield in making others who want to get on with their life and take care of their families when you dont worry and or care about other spreadable deaths.  40 to 60k a year from the flu adds  up yearly so why not take such a strong stance there as well ? 

Coronavirus has a high recovery rate, funny how you dont seem to want to point that out...just be as negative as can be to look down on anyone that is saying I can be precautionary while still living and getting on with my life and helping in any other way possible.

You seem like you are waffling. You must have older folks that you love.

1 hour ago, DeliciousGravy said:

The economy is going to suffer for years to a generation, depending on who you ask.

If you had your way, it would

There is going to be uncertainty of permanency of work, healthcare, you name it. But to be frank, things suck. It's a question of how badly do we want them to suck. Throwing open the economy for business again without addressing the concerns I mentioned above is doomed to fail.

Literally no states are doing that. It is all in phases. Also, many businesses are still open. All restaurants in my state are open, they only restricted from in-room dining, which will open up with 25% capacity, then 35% then 50% etc as data is collected throughout the process. Although my governor is a Democrat so I don't know if you want to get the pitch forks out just yet.

It is going to require a lot of government support to get through this.

Too bad those end in July

The free market isn't going to fix it.

My state obtained additional PPE equipment from Taiwan and South Korea, so the market doesn't hurt 

Wishingfor last year isn't going to fix it. The illusion that it will all be ok if we just go back to how things were isn't going to fix it. But that's the reality.

The overwhelming majority of people that contract the virus will literally be ok. It's not the death sentence you are making it out to be.

That's what you need to ask of the people you stick in a position of responsibility: how are you going to fix this?

No, you need to take responsibility for you and your own. Is your state opening up too quickly for you liking? Well good news, nobody is stopping you from staying at home as long as you like. The rest of us have bills to pay and that government cheddar only lasts so long.

22 minutes ago, PizzaBeerFF said:

You seem like you are waffling. You must have older folks that you love.

Not waffling about anything.  We flattened the curve to keep the hospitalizations in check and we did it well. Now it's time to shift into a more traditional way of approach by containment,  tracing and utilizing the cdc recommendations.   You dont burn down your house to get rid of an infestation,  you take care of it in phases and were now in the phase where it's a slow reopening as said above. If anyone here feels it's their duty to stay at home I say by all means, but for those who dont have a job that let's us work from home or live with our parents still, time to get back to work 

Edit: also I gotta laugh at the dude who says it's not the 1400s, yet wants to take the most draconian approach possible to tackle this. 

Edited by Savatage79
4 minutes ago, Savatage79 said:

Not waffling about anything.  We flattened the curve to keep the hospitalizations in check and we did it well. Now it's time to shift into a more traditional way of approach by containment,  tracing and utilizing the cdc recommendations.   You dont burn down your house to get rid of an infestation,  you take care of it in phases and were now in the phase where it's a slow reopening as said above. If anyone here feels it's their duty to stay at home I say by all means, but for those who dont have a job that let's us work from home or live with our parents still, time to get back to work 

The curve is not flat yet. 

7 hours ago, Gohawks said:

Pumping in noise?

To make it realistic I assume they’ll be making it louder when the Chargers have the ball at home than when they’re on defense.

That cost the Falcons a draft pick a few years back.

The death rate worldwide is 7% and in the USA is 6%.  And that’s just the direct deaths...not factoring all the indirect deaths (infected people who die before being tested, people sick who aren’t going to hospitals). Factoring the size of the US population, that’s a lot of potential death since about 95% of the population hasn’t tested positive.

A lot of people are dying and will continue to do so if this isn’t taken more seriously. If you have to leave home, wear a mask at all times in public.  This is not a joke.

4 hours ago, joshua18 said:

The death rate worldwide is 7% and in the USA is 6%.  And that’s just the direct deaths...not factoring all the indirect deaths (infected people who die before being tested, people sick who aren’t going to hospitals). Factoring the size of the US population, that’s a lot of potential death since about 95% of the population hasn’t tested positive.

A lot of people are dying and will continue to do so if this isn’t taken more seriously. If you have to leave home, wear a mask at all times in public.  This is not a joke.

I think it is either A. Immaturity or B. Insanity to imply people aren't taking this seriously with zero basis to go off outside of trying to soapbox , as if all of everyone since march 11th or so that has shut their lives down ,worn masks, social distanced,  etc...isnt taking it serious 

Nobody is fluffing it off but theres also simply a history of how pandemics work that is understood. Deaths in pandemics aren't able to be truly calculated until everything has run its course and we know exactly how many people were infected and right now we dont. Yes 300k is a concrete number  ,however if we could press a button and reveal right this second and see what percentage of people have/had this the mortality percentage will absolutely go way way down. It doesn't make it any less than a tragedy, it's not down playing ,its basic percentages of how pandemics work and can only be fully examined when the whole thing is done 

Edited by Savatage79
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, Gohawks said:

“I don’t want to turn this political but let me say some passive aggressive stuff about the president real quick that’s already been disproven multiple times.

Be better than that. 

He definitely called this virus a hoax. He said “This is there new hoax “ ..As usual when Trump speaks at rallies and his tweets he is know for connecting with his base by going off script as he is engaging in conversation rather then delivering a speech.  
Next day the Gods came down and said we need to make an amend to so we are here .. It’s called doubling down 

There’s no question that the president described the disease as the Democrats’ “new hoax” at a political rally on Feb. 28 in South Carolina.

But the following day, after the death of the first American from coronavirus in Washington state, Trump said that when he used the word “hoax,” he was referring to Democrats finding fault with his administration’s response to coronavirus, not the virus itself.

• Like 1

this has been addressed multiple times, he said it was THE DEMOCRAT'S HOAX, not the virus itself. I don't even like Trump but you are doing yourself no favors parroting this dumb ****, maybe go back to the Russia stuff

9 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

Please provide proof for such an outrageous claim

The whole point of one sides lust of the playing down of this, is to just say stuff without proof. Thats the playbook. Thats it. 

No matter how much proof those trying to save lives have that this is deadly, people will want to deny it for their own sociopathic selfish gluttony for power and need.

See, Florida and Arizona Govs. Im gonna trust my life with a reality star and the sycophant Govs whose whole point is to get reelected over a doctor whose whole life work has been studying disease. Nah, hard pass...they are risking it for their own needs. This is literally capitalistic greed for making money at the risk of death and elections. 

I am forced to tolerate such outlandish lies and ignorance hidden behin "opinion" on boards like these if I wish to keep posting here, but I assure you, in real life, I dont. These covid tough guys guys commit sloth daily by not wearing masks in stores, but they would wear them at sporting events? No they wont. 

The wrath of all of this is clear and political, make people risk their lives cuz you have to wear a mask and because we are deprived of such things like haircuts and sports.

I dont envy any person who sold their soul to a reality star who got us in a pandemic thats hurting the game of football we all come here to discuss in regular times cuz they envy him.

Some who voted for this just cant admit they were so wrong about their vote. So they double down on bleach and going back to sports in a pandemic. Thats an incredible pride thing huh, pride is a deadliest sin.

Of the seven deadly sins, theologians and philosophers reserve a special place for pride. Lust, envy, anger, greed, gluttony and sloth are all bad, the sages say, but pride is the deadliest of all, the root of all evil, and the beginning of sin. https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5203925

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

this has been addressed multiple times, he said it was THE DEMOCRAT'S HOAX, not the virus itself. I don't even like Trump but you are doing yourself no favors parroting this dumb ****, maybe go back to the Russia stuff

Just cuz you "addressed" it that way and are spinning it that way doesnt make your excuse so.

He called the virus a hoax, the virus itself, not anything else....you can spin it how you want, but your spinning will not ever change the facts you are desperate to change. 

8 minutes ago, Rona said:

The whole point of one sides lust of the playing down of this, is to just say stuff without proof. Thats the playbook. Thats it. 

No matter how much proof those trying to save lives have that this is deadly, people will want to deny it for their own sociopathic selfish gluttony for power and need.

See, Florida and Arizona Govs. Im gonna trust my life with a reality star and the sycophant Govs whose whole point is to get reelected over a doctor whose whole life work has been studying disease. Nah, hard pass...they are risking it for their own needs. This is literally capitalistic greed for making money at the risk of death and elections. 

I am forced to tolerate such outlandish lies and ignorance hidden behin "opinion" on boards like these if I wish to keep posting here, but I assure you, in real life, I dont. These covid tough guys guys commit sloth daily by not wearing masks in stores, but they would wear them at sporting events? No they wont. 

The wrath of all of this is clear and political, make people risk their lives cuz you have to wear a mask and because we are deprived of such things like haircuts and sports.

I dont envy any person who sold their soul to a reality star who got us in a pandemic thats hurting the game of football we all come here to discuss in regular times cuz they envy him.

Some who voted for this just cant admit they were so wrong about their vote. So they double down on bleach and going back to sports in a pandemic. Thats an incredible pride thing huh, pride is a deadliest sin.

Of the seven deadly sins, theologians and philosophers reserve a special place for pride. Lust, envy, anger, greed, gluttony and sloth are all bad, the sages say, but pride is the deadliest of all, the root of all evil, and the beginning of sin. https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5203925

I literally just shared dozens of peer-reviewed scientific studies, many claiming than the unknown number of asymptomic cases likely lowers the overall fatality rate. One thing is for sure, every death is reported, but we will never have the capacity to document every single case of infections. That is the fault of nobody but rather sheer statistics.

re: the rest of that diatribe, I guess it's time to update this meme

WD78sFq.jpg

6 minutes ago, Rona said:

Just cuz you "addressed" it that way and are spinning it that way doesnt make your excuse so.

He called the virus a hoax, the virus itself, not anything else....you can spin it how you want, but your spinning will not ever change the facts you are desperate to change. 

Donald Trump: (07:07)
One of my people came up to me and said, “Mr. President, they tried to beat you on Russia, Russia, Russia.” That didn’t work out too well. They couldn’t do it. They tried the impeachment hoax. That was on a perfect conversation. They tried anything. They tried it over and over. They’d been doing it since you got in. It’s all turning. They lost. It’s all turning. Think of it. Think of it. And this is their new hoax. 

copied and pasted from @shakestreet's post/link where it LITERALLY says he was referring to the Dems. you guys are just as bad as the morons protesting the lockdowns.

• Like 2