Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Coronavirus 2020 Discussion


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, predator_05 said:

Well, i gotta say...the coronavirus thread we have on the fantasy football forum is a lot less exciting than the ones on the fantasy baseball or fantasy basketball forums.

 

Where are the polarizing arguments? the daily updates? the doomsday predictions?

 

Do better guys.

 

This is the offseason, during which this forum is a tranquil lake of peace and civility. 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thinking like this is going to get many people infected and killed. As a frontline responder, I hope you will be able to actually look at the evidence without the partisan chicanery. Recent polls show

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Iron-cock said:

 

This is the offseason, during which this forum is a tranquil lake of peace and civility. 

...but it’s everyone’s off-season now....

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Evincar said:

 

I wish I had your optimism.

I am of the same mindset. Parts of China and other parts of Asia are already settling back down. The delayed response here led to a heightened panic.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Br0kenB said:

I don't think there is any chance that they are confident enough to let us congregate by the tens of thousands by September.


Doesn’t mean there won’t be games, though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

IMO Yes it does. All it takes is one player who is infected. Game over 

Not sure if I agree.

Let's take the NBA as a test subject.  Probably the sports league in America most immediately and dramatically impacted given the Rudy Gobert situation and immediate (IMO correct) response.

Subsequently, probably the league with the most blowback with the amount of athletes who've tested positive - including Durant.

Today there are reports that they want to "salvage the season no matter what."

 

If the NBA can take that level of stance, given the issues they've had with the virus, 6 months from now the NFL is going to be caught so flatfooted by positive tests they're not going to play?

I don't pretend to know what the right move here is.  I don't want to risk people's well being because I'm bored with no sportsball and stressed about the Dow.

But if we're not going to have a mass produced vaccine in 18 months, I don't think people's tolerance for social distancing is going to extend that long either.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course they "want to." Doesn't mean it will be safe to. We all "want to" get back to normal, but without proper testing, care and vaccinations in place, and an extended time period removed from the height of this pandemic (which we haven't even come close to meeting yet,) sports won't happen. And this is going to be a battle for quite a long time.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone know anyone who think they have it or has tested positive? 

 

If so how is he or she doing? 

 

I have one friend who has it and she sleeps a alot, is really run down, and generally feels like ****. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, The Gridiron Assassin said:

Anyone know anyone who think they have it or has tested positive? 

 

If so how is he or she doing? 

 

I have one friend who has it and she sleeps a alot, is really run down, and generally feels like ****. 

I know someone who caught it, was fine Day 1, felt ill Day 2, was on a ventilator Day 3, and died Day 4. So it is very serious.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The general mortality rate is about 3%. 
 

The mortality rate among people age 70+ is about 20%. 
 

Right now there are 52,966 reported cases in the USA (and a study revealed for every known case there are 5-10 unknown cases). If the numbers continue to spread over the next month as expected, with the time it’s taking to double (The NYC mayor said the number is doubling every 3 days), at that rate we could easily reach 10 million cases in the USA before May. With a 3% mortality rate, that means 300,000 people die. 
 

This is very serious.

Edited by joshua18
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, joshua18 said:

The general mortality rate is about 3%. 
 

The mortality rate among people age 70+ is about 20%. 
 

Right now there are 52,966 reported cases in the USA (and a study revealed for every known case there are 5-10 unknown cases). If the numbers continue to spread over the next month as expected, with the time it’s taking to double (The NYC mayor said the number is doubling every 3 days), at that rate we could easily reach 10 million cases in the USA before May. With a 3% mortality rate, that means 300,000 people die. 
 

This is very serious.

 

Good information here. I can’t believe some people still aren’t taking this as serious as they should be. This is really, really bad. 

 

In my opinion, as painful as it is you can’t lossen the restrictions on shelter in place for the next handful of weeks. If anything I think you need to go to stricter lock downs for a short period of time like China did. That said there’s no easy answers right now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, joshua18 said:

The general mortality rate is about 3%. 
 

The mortality rate among people age 70+ is about 20%. 
 

Right now there are 52,966 reported cases in the USA (and a study revealed for every known case there are 5-10 unknown cases). If the numbers continue to spread over the next month as expected, with the time it’s taking to double (The NYC mayor said the number is doubling every 3 days), at that rate we could easily reach 10 million cases in the USA before May. With a 3% mortality rate, that means 300,000 people die. 
 

This is very serious.

But without widespread testing, can you trust those numbers? Far more people have it in the US than have been tested, same with most countries. Countries with widespread testing, like South Korea and Germany have a much lower mortality rate.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hoppychokes said:

But without widespread testing, can you trust those numbers? Far more people have it in the US than have been tested, same with most countries. Countries with widespread testing, like South Korea and Germany have a much lower mortality rate.


Exactly. So if anything, the 300,000 deaths by May is an optimistic projection.  Stay safe everyone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, joshua18 said:


Exactly. So if anything, the 300,000 deaths by May is an optimistic projection.  Stay safe everyone.

 

The more tests they give the spike in positive tests will increase but the death rate will go down, it is creeping closer to going under 1%

Nothing compared to the 60 million Americans that were infected with the swine flu and the 17,000 that died.

 

USA is at 1.23%

 

https://news.yahoo.com/one-chart-shows-10-countries-194400203.html

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The biggest concern is with the elderly and those with pre-existing health conditions and compromised immune systems. Especially those with asthma or breathing-related illnesses. Help out your elderly neighbors when possible.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

So how are they going to pay the taxpayers this $1200 plus $500 for children? How do they know who to pay & how many kids they got? Will we have to go to some website and apply for it? I havent seen anything on how that process actually works for paying out....

 

Also, im 38 years old and have asthma. Im taking this social distancing seriously and not leaving the house to stay safe. This whole pandemic is unfathomable. Good luck everyone. stay safe

Edited by SyNdicateZ
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, devaster said:

The biggest concern is with the elderly and those with pre-existing health conditions and compromised immune systems. Especially those with asthma or breathing-related illnesses. Help out your elderly neighbors when possible.

If a previously healthy person comes down with "normal" illness. Getting COVID-19 compounds those issues and makes it way worse for them (from what i've heard, this isn't proven per say). Vulnerability rates get higher not only for breathing related, but ANY cardo-vascular issues/hypertension and diabetes. Anyone battling cancer and going thru chemotherapy is pretty much a KO if they get this.

Global death rate is 4.5%, but medical intervention rate is a lot higher(believe it's 20%). When Hospitals get over-run is when you start to see localized spiked is mortality rate.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

 

The more tests they give the spike in positive tests will increase but the death rate will go down, it is creeping closer to going under 1%

Nothing compared to the 60 million Americans that were infected with the swine flu and the 17,000 that died.

 

USA is at 1.23%

 

https://news.yahoo.com/one-chart-shows-10-countries-194400203.html

Exactly!  As of right now there are 54,999 confirmed cases in the US and 785 deaths.  They are estimating there are 5 to 10 times more people that have it then is reported.  On the low end 5 times more is about 275,000 people in the US have it right now.  Let's assume out of the 275k the death rate goes up to 1,500 people, that is half of 1% death rate.  I'm not discounting that 1,500 is still a lot of people, but it's not nearly as bad as the numbers they are trying to scare everyone with.  More than 22,000 people have died from the flu in just the US alone this flu season, while about 20k have died across the whole world and less than 1,000 in the US so far from covid-19.  Multiple countries have tested hydrochloruquine as a treatment with promising results, we have the best people in the world working on a vaccine.  This seems way overblown to me. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...