NBC Sports Edge Forums

Coronavirus 2020 Discussion

On 6/2/2020 at 10:58 PM, theSPANKER said:

Isn't it just a rerun of the games?  What's the benefit?

Try it out, we all have our games we remember and its fun to watch them in about a half hour

watched alot of the superbowls and the game where i went to miami and we tore brady up

Edited by 1972Miamidolphins
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thinking like this is going to get many people infected and killed. As a frontline responder, I hope you will be able to actually look at the evidence without the partisan chicanery. Recent polls show

Posted Images

11 hours ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I'm thinking film rooms, in person staff meetings, that sort of thing.

Exactly. Practice is only a small portion of what actually goes on.

21 hours ago, Gohawks said:

Who are these 100 if the people that need to use the PRACTICE facility to actually practice can’t PRACTICE? A bunch of coaches and assistants standing around in the field playing catch?

What is the point of allowing up to 100 people but excluding the people that need it the most?

Maintenance, other staffers? 

I don’t work there, I have no idea but there has to be some reason for it. 

I see plenty of videos where pros are working out/practicing together so it’s not like they are all sitting on the couch 

8 hours ago, bhawks489 said:

Maintenance, other staffers? 

I don’t work there, I have no idea but there has to be some reason for it. 

I see plenty of videos where pros are working out/practicing together so it’s not like they are all sitting on the couch 

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/team/front-office-roster/

These list about 60-70 people; I assume you'd want almost all of those working and prepared before you have the players come in. Well, with the exception of the managers, of course. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

`NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports several Cowboys and Texans players have tested positive for COVID-19 recently.

Dr. Allen Sills, the NFL's chief medical officer, on a conference call in May said, "We fully well expect that we will have positive cases that arise ... Our challenge is to identify them as quickly as possible and prevent spread to any other participants." Rapsheet added, "None of the players are believed to have been in their team facilities. The teams followed proper health protocols." The NFL is expected to continue to do everything in their power to safely move forward with the 2020 season.

Ezekiel Elliot among the confirmed.

Yeah, that just means Zeke becomes more of a stable pick since he will have some antibody immunity (at the very least in the short term).  With the minimum 1 week quarantines for positive tests, I might draft more clear RB cuffs than normal this season.

Weren't there videos of Dak having workouts with a bunch of his teammates?  Even Dez Bryant there?  These guys were working out weeks ago and there was no social distancing at all.  Zeke questioned HIPAA on Twitter, implying that one of his medical staff on the team leaked his information.  But surely there's rumors everywhere and multiple sources released the info.  I'm sure these guys are just the beginning of many who will come down with it.

Agree that this will make Zeke an even stronger pick than he already was since he likely won't get sick again.  Covid is going to become like a multiweek injury.

We've never had an IR slot in our league, because we think it's cheating.  But maybe I can get people to agree to a Covid slot?

• Haha 2

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29328206/dr-anthony-fauci-football-needs-bubble-format-play-2020

Dr. Anthony Fauci: Football needs 'bubble' format to play in 2020

"Unless players are essentially in a bubble -- insulated from the community and they are tested nearly every day -- it would be very hard to see how football is able to be played this fall," Fauci said. "If there is a second wave, which is certainly a possibility and which would be complicated by the predictable flu season, football may not happen this year."

Yikes.

Edited by smeeze
3 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Yikes.

Pretty sure Fauci is miles away from the NFL decision-making process.

Back in March, it was very important that we tried to make sure people didn't get the virus, because we knew little about it. Fauci was all over that at the time, and was an important voice. 

Since then, we've learned that getting the virus isn't near as bad as originally thought, and the mortality rate continues to go down and down with every new batch of testing data. Fauci, for some reason, still seems to be stuck in that mid-March mindset that we've got to do everything possible to protect everyone at all times from even the possibility of getting the virus, so his comments follow that.

I wouldn't worry too much about Fauci's opinion on this, it won't effect the NFL in any way.

• Like 1

Just curious, are people still entering best ball drafts and paying for premium subscription services right now?  If there's no season, is there a refund policy on your particular sites?

4 hours ago, smeeze said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29328206/dr-anthony-fauci-football-needs-bubble-format-play-2020

Dr. Anthony Fauci: Football needs 'bubble' format to play in 2020

"Unless players are essentially in a bubble -- insulated from the community and they are tested nearly every day -- it would be very hard to see how football is able to be played this fall," Fauci said. "If there is a second wave, which is certainly a possibility and which would be complicated by the predictable flu season, football may not happen this year."

Yikes.

That’s his opinion which he has been wrong more often than people care to admit. He’s sided on the extreme end of COVID at pretty much every possible turn. I suppose it’s his job but still...

There’s plenty of people working in places like warehouses, construction, offices, and other close quarter situations. Often times a lot more people than you’ll need for a game and with zero social distancing. I get the “essential” and “non essential” argument but suggesting that they need to play in a bubble is ridiculous. 

So this season.  In my league i run, its all for fun with a $50 buy in and a trophy, im even afraid of collecting dues this season, i know some have already spoken up in my league that they want a refund if the league ends ubeuptly/indefintitely(and put Coronavirus as the 2020 champ on the trophy).  Whats the point of collecting dues if is (in my mind), a greater chance the league stops midseason than to continue, were all tight knit group of friends, just play for trophy rights.

though i did proposed we play season long point totals vs head to head, when the season ends,whenever that is, highest total scorer wins, ill just take a vote probably

edit:  typos

Edited by 1972Miamidolphins
33 minutes ago, 1972Miamidolphins said:

So this season.  In my league i run, its all for fun with a $50 buy in and a trophy, im even afraid of collecting dues this season, i know some have already spoken up in my league that they want a refund if the league ends ubeuptly/indefintitely(and put Coronavirus as the 2020 champ on the trophy).  Whats the point of collecting dues if is (in my mind), a greater chance the league stops midseason than to continue, were all tight knit group of friends, just play for trophy rights.

though i did proposed we play season long point totals vs head to head, when the season ends,whenever that is, highest total scorer wins, ill just take a vote probably

edit:  typos

If the season starts there’s almost a 0% chance it won’t finish.

It’s not like the NBA where COVID came out of nowhere. If the NFL starts the season it’ll be setup in such a way that it can finish the season. Even if it does start and get cut it wouldn’t be hard to give everyone their money back especially if it’s all friends. 

1 hour ago, 1972Miamidolphins said:

I get enough of this talk by going on any news site, how does the coronavirus affect fantasy?  

Yeah that’s why I asked regarding entry fees and premium subscriptions. I know football guys has a moneyback guarantee til I think the end of July, so could always refund if it looks like the season won’t go, but end of July is still early. I don’t want to enter a bunch of best balls only to get screwed over if they don’t refund or if there is half a season etc. A home league with friends everybody could agree to just refund if the season ended abruptly, that’s easy. But I’m gathering those of us on a message board in June are the fanatics who might be entering some early best balls to take advantage of drafting discounts on some players whose ADP will only rise as the season nears. That’s my dilemma. Sure, there’s obviously a lot going on in the world right now, but fantasy football is a small escape and that’s what I think of when considering whether or not to do beat balls now. 

Stanford and UCLA experts are both pointing out facts: “These infection fatality rates are remarkably low and are similar to the fatality rate for the seasonal flu.” “The virus is 10 times less fatal than we first thought.”

Dr. Rajiv Bhatia is an affiliated assistant clinical professor of Medicine at Stanford University. He is a former deputy health officer for the San Francisco Department of Public Health, drajiv@stanford.edu. Dr. Jeffrey Klausner is a professor of Medicine and Public Health at the University of California, Los Angeles.

https://calmatters.org/commentary/its-time-to-end-the-state-of-emergency-over-covid-19/

“To properly assess the mortality risk associated with the coronavirus pandemic, it is necessary to examine deaths and death rates from all causes, not just deaths and death rates from COVID-19.” They are asking this question because it is clear the Covid-19 numbers are highly inflated from other causes of death. “During January-May 2020, the CDC and Department of Health and Human Services show about 120,000 total deaths in California, which is similar to the number during January-May 2018.”
They are comparing this current flu season against the last big pandemic that hit us in 2017-2018 Flu season. The numbers look the same. “Thus, the 2020 total death rates in California can be approximated by the 2018 total death rates, which are in the CDC’s WONDER database.”
https://news.yahoo.com/california-reopen-coronavirus-stats-science-230000221.html

• Like 1