Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Coronavirus 2020 Discussion


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thinking like this is going to get many people infected and killed. As a frontline responder, I hope you will be able to actually look at the evidence without the partisan chicanery. Recent polls show

Posted Images

Several hospitals are threatening  to fire doctors who speak publicly about the lack of personal protective equipment when treating patients; some already have:

 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/490361-hospitals-threatening-to-fire-workers-for-speaking-out-about%3famp


yet are publicly trying to recruit many doctors to care for patients as their colleagues have become infected. 
 

This is only going to get worse. Don’t wait for others to tell you things are unsafe before taking precautions.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, theSPANKER said:

 

??? 

Are you an expert in Virology?

 

Didn't you just contradict yourself here?  It has nothing to do with their hygiene practices but it might explain how it's contracted.....good grief.

giphy.gif

 

By the way, here's the article.  And yes there might be a correlation as to men dying at higher rates than women because they contracted it due to awful hygiene practices.   

https://news.yahoo.com/men-dying-coronavirus-higher-rates-111700482.html

 

My point went way over your head.  I will leave it be.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/27/2020 at 7:47 AM, lolcopter said:

the stock market is almost always at all time highs and was long overdue for a major correction anyway. once stuff starts opening back up it will come back

This is a market crash when businesses are being forced to stop. That is way different just a simple recession. People need to have money in their hand to spend it to re-invigorate things. Which a large swath of the population won't for awhile after. Tis the backlash of a debt dependent society when you halt it.  

Not to mention fears of a second wave. Which is a legit fear until vaccine is developed. Which wont be happening for 1-2 years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, El_Chingon said:

Even if true, the % of men who die from it has nothing to do with hygiene practices.  Hygiene practices might explain how it's contracted, not the % that die after it's already contracted.

Reading between the lines? I think he was just trying to say more men are dying then women. Which would be true if more men are contracting it. Lets not divulge into semantics battles. I screw up my wording at times too. 

Edited by Slatykamora
Link to post
Share on other sites

At this point, I'd be shocked if the draft goes off as scheduled. Contingency plans or otherwise, I fear what's to come is going to impact us all in ways we could never have imagined just a few short weeks ago. 

I pray I am wrong.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, The G Man said:

At this point, I'd be shocked if the draft goes off as scheduled. Contingency plans or otherwise, I fear what's to come is going to impact us all in ways we could never have imagined just a few short weeks ago. 

I pray I am wrong.  


Seems like Goodell is determined to have the draft go on as scheduled, regardless of criticism. It’s one of the few events that can be done completely remotely. With how sports starved the country is the ratings will be unbelievable, the NFL and ESPN will make a ton of money from it. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TrueToTheBlue said:


Seems like Goodell is determined to have the draft go on as scheduled, regardless of criticism. It’s one of the few events that can be done completely remotely. With how sports starved the country is the ratings will be unbelievable, the NFL and ESPN will make a ton of money from it. 

Criticism just for the sake of criticism. Nothing the NFL has done so far has been a risk for health and safety. They just have the luxury of being in their offseason and not starting until September. Doing the draft remotely is perfectly acceptable and there is no reason not to do it. Those of us that can work remotely are doing so and our work lives haven't been impacted at all.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The G Man said:

At this point, I'd be shocked if the draft goes off as scheduled. Contingency plans or otherwise, I fear what's to come is going to impact us all in ways we could never have imagined just a few short weeks ago. 

I pray I am wrong.  

No, NFL Draft will give a little pleasure to all people... People needs to have pleasure in this time. 

NFL draft mustn't be postponed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TrueToTheBlue said:


Seems like Goodell is determined to have the draft go on as scheduled, regardless of criticism. It’s one of the few events that can be done completely remotely. With how sports starved the country is the ratings will be unbelievable, the NFL and ESPN will make a ton of money from it. 

 

If free agency continues as scheduled, why wouldn't the draft?

 

The only thing we're losing is the entire spectacle of crowds doing the nachos and cheese thing at 'live events'.

 

This is how the draft looked before cable TV channels hyped it up:

 

Edited by predator_05
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, predator_05 said:

 

If free agency continues as scheduled, why wouldn't the draft?

 

The only thing we're losing is the entire spectacle of crowds doing the nachos and cheese thing at 'live events'.

 

This is how the draft looked before cable TV channels hyped it up:

 

 

Joe Theisman thought the Cowboys should have taken Dexter Carter, instead they took Emmitt Smith.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

So it's now April. Draft a few weeks away, It's June/July, preseason August, kickoff September.

I think you all need to resign yourself that at this stage it is almost certain that the upcoming NFL season will be curtailed. I Am actually forward-thinking that the odds of the NFL season being cancelled are not zero. I don't want to be that alarmist prick that is foretelling woe and misery, but today's infection rate is 215k (<0.1% US pop) with >2% mortality.

If you told 2% of the fans going to a game that they would not go home, nobody would go. I don't have any real confidence that summer months will magically make this virus go away, with most of it spent in lockdown and the immediate fear that relaxing those measures in autumn would make it rear it's head immediately.

I have no idea what the long-term play is right now, but emotionally I think that this season may not go ahead. Maybe there is some hope that Dec/Jan might yield enough fall in incidence to allow say an 6-week season inter-division with winners going to a 4-team playoff for instance behind closed doors but I am extremely pessimistic about a full season in front of spectators.

Edited by DeliciousGravy
Minor spelling
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DeliciousGravy said:

So it's now April. Draft a few weeks away, It's June/July, preseason August, kickoff September.

I think you all need to resign yourself that at this stage it is almost certain that the upcoming NFL season will be curtailed. I Am actually forward-thinking that the odds of the NFL season being cancelled are not zero. I don't want to be that alarmist prick that is foretelling woe and misery, but today's infection rate is 215k (<0.1% US pop) with >2% mortality.

If you told 2% of the fans going to a game that they would not go home, nobody would go. I don't have any real confidence that summer months will magically make this virus go away, with most of it spent in lockdown and the immediate fear that relaxing those measures in autumn would make it rear it's head immediately.

I have no idea what the long-term play is right now, but emotionally I think that this season may not go ahead. Maybe there is some hope that Dec/Jan might yield enough fall in incidence to allow say an 6-week season inter-division with winners going to a 4-team playoff for instance behind closed doors but I am extremely pessimistic about a full season in front of spectators.

 

Season?  a Season??  You kidding me?  You talking about a NFL season this year???

 

0ap3000000882302_video_cp.jpg

 

I just hope we can make it to the NFL draft without someone being disciplined and punished.

 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/roger-goodell-threatens-punishment-for-those-who-speak-out-against-nfl-draft-plans/ar-BB11NntL

  

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, theSPANKER said:

 

Season?  a Season??  You kidding me?  You talking about a NFL season this year???

 

0ap3000000882302_video_cp.jpg

 

I just hope we can make it to the NFL draft without someone being disciplined and punished.

 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/roger-goodell-threatens-punishment-for-those-who-speak-out-against-nfl-draft-plans/ar-BB11NntL

  

 

 

 

 

We may never learn the results of the latest Patriots cheating scandal?

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, devaster said:

Mel Kiper is ageless. Must be all that pumpkin pie.

 

He spends most of the year hibernating in the woods, only to emerge every April and May.

 

The rarest of species in the animal kingdom.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not very optimistic they just  cancelled the British open.  Unless there is a vaccine developed and produced some time soon I cannot see teams starting practice and pre-season over the summer.  I did a mock draft last night and it was an adrenalin rush.    When this ends i think people will have a new found appreciation for the life.

Link to post
Share on other sites

TV writers would reject this plot twist as too absurd to believe.

New England Patriots team plane flying 1.2 million N95 masks from China to help ease coronavirus shortages

Quote
Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker tweeted a photo of the plane being loaded with the personal protective equipment that he said would go to the state's healthcare workers on the front lines of the coronavirus crisis.
 
According to a source, Baker is extremely frustrated that the federal government outbid him on supplies that were en route to Massachusetts. He worked with New England Patriots' owner Robert Kraft and the Patriots to get these supplies brought over from China.
 
"No days off. Thanks to some serious teamwork, Massachusetts is set to receive over 1 million N95 masks for our front-line workers. Huge thanks to the Krafts and several dedicated partners for making this happen," Baker said in the tweet.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Imo the season will go on as planned even if it is empty stadiums. The real nfl money is in the tv revenue and not fan attendance. i think most nfl teams will test players every few days and there might be new league rules where if half a team gets corona they go on temp ir and you can go resign players off the street for these weeks. Perhaps this is me being optismistic but the reality is the nfl is the number 1 tv show in america and while fans can enhance the experience of the game imo they are not needed. NFL athletes are such of the greatest on earth (duh) so imo the chances of some of them dying even if they contracted this is real low compared to the average human their own age. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, isuckatdfs said:

NFL athletes are such of the greatest on earth (duh) so imo the chances of some of them dying even if they contracted this is real low compared to the average human their own age. 

This is not supported by the numbers of otherwise well 20-40 year olds who are having to be intubated. Being "fit" is not in of itself a protective factor against Covid-19.

 

The TV viewership is interesting however. So I was reading today about the NRL (Australian league) plan to take all it's players, quarantine them on an island, and play them so that the TV rights would still be worth something. Would the NFL consider putting all the players up in Hawaii from mid-mid-July, training, and playing games Sept-Jan whilst essentially isolated from the US mainland? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...