NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jimmy Garoppolo 2020 Outlook

All seems quiet on the Jimmy G front so far this offseason. I don't think most have realized that the niners got the 13th pick from the Colts in the DeForest Buckner trade and have a great chance of ending up with either Jerry Jeudy or Ceedee Lamb (there is the chance that they are both snatched up in front of them by the Jets and Raiders). If they do end up with one of these young studs count me in on Jimmy G (I would imagine his ADP will be between QB 16-20 and he already finished as a borderline QB1).

Edited by paulwall29
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tevin Coleman is a non factor, Mckinnon hasnt even played for the 49ers yet (when was the last time he actually took a snap?) Breida seems like he cant stay on the field either.   Mostert is

This is exactly what happens when you try to show how cool you are by not throwing to the best tight end in football. Nice work Jimmy

Jimmy G needs vet help in the wr room if Emmanuel departs. Shannys problem with his wr room seems to have been their work effort so the  Niners could easily add a guy like Robby Anderson who has an uncanny ability to always get open to pair nicely with jimmys accuracy, they can add a big wr like Perriman who can take the top off or use his size in the intermediate game or even another speed guy like dorsett as a depth piece who can help with the young guys in the wr room given how he spent a couple of years earning his way onto the field with hoodie and Brady. None of these guys are an alpha wr but bringing them in to compete with and push the younger guys will probably help Jimmy G immensely and get the results shanny wanted 

12 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Jimmy G needs vet help in the wr room if Emmanuel departs. Shannys problem with his wr room seems to have been their work effort so the  Niners could easily add a guy like Robby Anderson who has an uncanny ability to always get open to pair nicely with jimmys accuracy, they can add a big wr like Perriman who can take the top off or use his size in the intermediate game or even another speed guy like dorsett as a depth piece who can help with the young guys in the wr room given how he spent a couple of years earning his way onto the field with hoodie and Brady. None of these guys are an alpha wr but bringing them in to compete with and push the younger guys will probably help Jimmy G immensely and get the results shanny wanted 

Or they could just draft a blue chip stud like Jeudy or Lamb which I'm sure is exactly what they intend to do with the 13th pick. They're not going to sign a more expensive free agent like Anderson, Perriman/Dorsertte are definitely a possibility.

1 hour ago, youngrice said:

Qb2. Defense will regress. But so many better options in pass first offense to consider even drafting him. 

Until he gets himself benched Ryan Fitzpatrick will reward the streaming fantasy owners 😂

7 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

SF should trade for Julio Jones. Give Jimmy G a real Target to throw to other than Kittle.

Good chance they Get Jeudy or Lamb at 13. Better than giving up the capital it will cost to obtain an aging receiver. 

Hs sucks.  Consistently hucks into coverage.  Has awful decision making skills.  Shannahan hides how much he sucks with his elite ground games which don’t make Jimmy have to do much.  The more reads you make this blockhead make, the more likely the other team will get a gift.  He’s a one read and burn it QB.  Not a fan.  49ers have sniffed around at other guys.  I bet he isn’t starting for them after next season.  

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

SF should trade for Julio Jones. Give Jimmy G a real Target to throw to other than Kittle.

Problem for the Niners is they are SB contenders now so the rebuild is over and the tweaking to get a title in a short window is in motion; going to have cap issues as they try to keep their defense in top form, strengthen their o-line and extend Kittles; so signing a big name wr on a big contract doesnt make sense.

Every analyst is stating the take a top wr in the 1st but  I actually would be surprised if they spend a high draft pick on another rookie wr given they drafted deebo and Hurd last season in the 2nd+3rd. A rookie wr is not the key to a SB title. They can pick up a bunch of cheap wr vets who can stretch the field and use those draft picks to keep the o-line, d-line, Db positions deep the next couple of years for continuity.

it is clear that Shanny is an advocate of the interior game and he has built his offense that way, starting with the oline, strong running with short to intermediate passing attacks.  People are fooling themselves if they think he is all of a sudden to change to a down the field passing attack. it's interior first and take take some shots at the exterior to keep the pressure off the interior. 

if the Niners really thought they were 1 wr away from winning the SB they would have traded for Hopkins instead of letting AZ have him for a door prize 🤣

6 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

"He sucks. Consistently hucks into coverage. Has awful decision making skills. Shannahan hides how much he sucks with his elite ground games which don’t make Jimmy have to do much. The more reads you make this blockhead make, the more likely the other team will get a gift. He’s a one read and burn it QB. Not a fan. 49ers have sniffed around at other guys. I bet he isn’t starting for them after next season."  

I suppose your comment came off too rough, but you may be onto something. Everyone knows there was a buzz around JG while at New England. Got himself traded near the deadline & ends up leading SF to 5 straight wins. But back from injury, there appeared to be something missing and it looked like confidence. Your point was ignored, fair to assume perhaps that others would have you consider the structure & philosophy of this team. Which is difficult to dispute. Still, they picked up the option on Nick Mullens, who, if memory serves, was lighting it up once he settled in. That's only meant to suggest that a very capable backup is a real possibility. 

I think RB, in particular, Zack Moss may be on this team's radar as a day 3 pickup. Now, if he checks out medically, he won't be there that late. I've read that Kansas City is taking a close look at him. A key attribute for ball carriers is a low center of gravity. Moss is among the few who are disproportionately low! A history of being dinged up a bit & pulled up lame at the combine. A wide base, really like this player!       

2 hours ago, markrc99 said:

I suppose your comment came off too rough, but you may be onto something. Everyone knows there was a buzz around JG while at New England. Got himself traded near the deadline & ends up leading SF to 5 straight wins. But back from injury, there appeared to be something missing and it looked like confidence. Your point was ignored, fair to assume perhaps that others would have you consider the structure & philosophy of this team. Which is difficult to dispute. Still, they picked up the option on Nick Mullens, who, if memory serves, was lighting it up once he settled in. That's only meant to suggest that a very capable backup is a real possibility. 

I think RB, in particular, Zack Moss may be on this team's radar as a day 3 pickup. Now, if he checks out medically, he won't be there that late. I've read that Kansas City is taking a close look at him. A key attribute for ball carriers is a low center of gravity. Moss is among the few who are disproportionately low! A history of being dinged up a bit & pulled up lame at the combine. A wide base, really like this player!       

They aren't going to waste draft capital on a RB when they are already rostering 4 of them.

10 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

Hs sucks.  Consistently hucks into coverage.  Has awful decision making skills.  Shannahan hides how much he sucks with his elite ground games which don’t make Jimmy have to do much.  The more reads you make this blockhead make, the more likely the other team will get a gift.  He’s a one read and burn it QB.  Not a fan.  49ers have sniffed around at other guys.  I bet he isn’t starting for them after next season.  

Lol, lot of hate for a guy that posted 4000 total yards/27 TD's/13 INT's/69.1 COMP%/8.4 YPA in his first full season as a starter. If he was a rookie or in his 2nd or 3rd year he would be getting hype out the wazoo. Count me in on him as a streamer next season. Love him in Dynasty. 

2 hours ago, paulwall29 said:

"They aren't going to waste draft capital on a RB when they are already rostering 4 of them."

You cite a number, no name(s). Telling, acknowledgement to the fact they don't have a lead 'back. My contention was a day 3 value pick. I'd keep Mostert, even though he isn't built to assume the volume... the rest of them I'd try to trade for a day two pick. I'd like to hear you say it, which of them could they get a day two pick for?    

13 minutes ago, markrc99 said:

You cite a number, no name(s). Telling, acknowledgement to the fact they don't have a lead 'back. My contention was a day 3 value pick. I'd keep Mostert, even though he isn't built to assume the volume... the rest of them I'd try to trade for a day two pick. I'd like to hear you say it, which of them could they get a day two pick for?    

What in the hell are you talking about? They have Raheem Mostert, Tevin Coleman, Matt Breida and Jerick McKinnon. You know, the backfield that they made it to the Super Bowl with (excluding McKinnon). Kyle Shanahan doesn't care about a "lead back", he rotates backs throughout the game. What in the wide world of sports makes you think they are going to be trading for a day 3 running back, and are you actually suggesting they will find their "lead back" on day 3 of the draft? It's unlikely that they would have restructured McKinnon's contract and brought him back if they intended to use draft capital on a RB.  

Edited by paulwall29
21 minutes ago, nmartinez12443 said:

Raiders just signed agholor, possibly out of the jeudy sweepstakes?

Lol I don't think signing Nelson Agholor to a one year deal takes them out of the Jeudy sweepstakes whatsoever. When Tyrell Williams, Nelson Agholor and Hunter Renfrow are your top three wideouts (I just threw up a little), you are still very much in the market for a blue chip wide receiver.

Edited by paulwall29
  • tonycpsu changed the title to Jimmy Garoppolo 2020 Outlook