NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Rotoworld Forums MOCK #5

BostonCajun

Message added by tonycpsu

If you'd like to follow along with the picks in this draft, you can do so here.

C - Willson Contreras (12.8)

1B - Pete Alonso (3.5)

2B - Brandon Lowe (15.5)

3B - Vladimir Guerrero, Jr. (6.8 )

SS - Marcus Semien (7.5)

OF - Juan Soto (1.5), Ramon Laureano (9.5), Nick Castellanos (10.8), Kyle Tucker (16.8 )

UTL - Yoan Moncada (8.8), Yuli Gurriel (14.8)

BN - Joey Votto (21.5), Mitch Haniger (22.8), Nomar Mazara (23.5), Didi Gregorius (24.8), Salvador Perez (26.8 )

SP - Justin Verlander (2.8), Blake Snell (4.8), Aaron Nola (5.5), Hyun-Jin Ryu (11.5), German Marquez (13.5), Jordan Montgomery (17.5), Nate Pearson (19.5), Jon Gray (20.8), MacKenzie Gore (25.5)

RP - Alex Colome (18.8)

Generally pleased with my team. The balance of upside and floor seems reasonable here. Punted (i) SB, and (ii) SV / HD - we'll see how it goes.

If I had to grade all of my picks on a combination of (i) value, and (ii) fit with my team:

1.5 (5) - Juan Soto: B

2.8 (20) - Justin Verlander: B-

3.5 (29) - Pete Alonso: C 

4.8 (44) - Blake Snell: C+

5.5 (53) - Aaron Nola: B-

6.8 (68) - Vlad Guerrero: B

7.5 (77) - Marcus Semien: A-

8.8 (92) - Yoan Moncada: A

9.5 (101) - Ramon Laureano: B+

10.8 (116) - Nick Castellanos: B

11.5 (125) - Hyun-Jin Ryu: A-

12.8 (140) - Willson Contreras: B

13.5 (149) - German Marquez: B-

14.8 (164) - Yuli Gurriel: C+

15.5 (173) - Brandon Lowe: B-

16.8 (188) - Kyle Tucker: B

17.5 (197) - Jordan Montgomery: B-

18.8 (212) - Alex Colome: A-

19.5 (221) - Nate Pearson: A-

20.8 (236) - Jon Gray: B-

21.5 (245) - Joey Votto: B

22.8 (260) - Mitch Haniger: B+

23.5 (269) - Nomar Mazara: B+

24.8 (284) - Didi Gregorius: C+

25.5 (293) - MacKenzie Gore: C

26.8 (308) - Salvador Perez: A-

Edited by Mdubb23
  • Like 8

C - Wilson Ramos

1B - Jose Abreu

2B - Kevin Newman

3B - Alex Bregman

SS - Trea Turner

OF - Charlie Blackmon, Giancarlo Stanton, Michael Brantley, Bryan Reynolds

UTL - Bo Bichette, Nick Senzel

BN - Tommy LaStella, Renato Núñez 

SP - Zack Greinke, Trevor Bauer, Dinelson Lamet, Kenta Maeda, Caleb Smith, Adrian Houser, Freddy Peralta 

RP - Taylor Rogers, Raisel Iglesias, Ian Kennedy, Matt Barnes, Daniel Hudson, Michael Lorenzen

Was really hoping to get Miguel Andujar as my second utility player. (missed him by one pick) Could maybe use a tad more power but overall I think I put together a pretty complete, competitive team.

• Like 9

C - Robinson Chirinos 

1B - Anthony Rizzo

2B - Jose Altuve

3B - Josh Donaldson 

SS - Jonathan Villar

OF - Mookie Betts, JD Martinez, Michael Conforto, Mark Canha

UTL - Luke Voit, Scott Kingery

BN - Brandon Nimmo, Shogo Akiyama

SP- Chris Paddack, Sonny Gray, Robbie Ray, Luke Weaver, Mike Foltynewicz, Aaron Civale, Garret Richards, Rich Hill, Miles Mikolas, Josh Lindblom

RP - Roberto Osuna, Nick Anderson, Giovanny Gallegos

My thoughts: this was my first time doing an OBP league, so I was learning as I went. I definitely targeted some guys that would seem to be much more valuable in OBP leagues (Rizzo, Donaldson, Conforto, Canha, Voit, and Nimmo). I’ve never been one to pay up for starting pitching and this draft was no different. I tried to compensate by investing in a trio of relievers that I think will deliver elite ratios, a high k/9, and keep me at or near the top of the saves+holds category. I also tried to compensate with volume in starting pitching, loading my bench with capable starters.

Overall, I think it’s a decent team, but more importantly I enjoyed everyone I drafted with and it was a welcome distraction. Thanks, all.

Oh, and thanks @tonycpsu and @BostonCajun for coordinating.

Edited by meh2
  • Like 8

My crew:

C Omar Narvaez 

1B Matt Olson 

2B Gleyber Torres 

3B Justin Turner 

SS Adalberto Mondesi 

OF Kris Bryant 

OF Trey Mancini 

OF Oscar Mercado 

OF Marcell Ozuna 

UT Amed Rosario 

UT Miguel Andujar 

P Jose Berrios 

P Gerrit Cole - 

P Mitch Keller 

P Max Scherzer 

P Marcus Stroman 

P Brandon Woodruff

P Ken Giles

P Liam Hendriks

P Ryan Pressly

1B Michael Chavis

2B Garrett Hampson

OF Aaron Hicks  

P Johnny Cueto

P Anthony DeSclafani

P Reynaldo Lopez 

I inherited Max and Cole so I missed out on the elite bats, but overall I think the team has nice balance. If I had that bullpen in my saves+holds league I'd be pretty happy, although RP is fairly easy to find with these settings. 

• Like 8

46 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

I didn’t get a like from the Doc

spacer.png

I would have taken Turner who was a gift to you in the 2nd.

C Garver

1B Josh Bell

2B Hiura

SS Baez

3B Devers

OF Bellinger, Robles, Pham, Hunter Dozier

UT Joc Pederson, Andrus

Bench  Jo Adell, Kole Calhoun, Yandy Diaz

SP Flaherty, Montas, Bumgarner, Fried, Manaea, Kopech, Archer

RP Bummer, S. Greene, W. Harris, Petit, Luke Jackson

I like my offense a lot. I probably took Adell too early, but honestly, that was before we decided to play out the season. I maybe wouldn't have made that pick if we were to do it again.

I think I waited too long to grab my #2 SP. I like Montas, but ideally he'd be a 3 and I'd have a Paddock or Castillo guy as a 2.

And, obviously I waited till real late to grab RPs.  I've never played in a SV/HD league, but this seemed like the strategy.  If those guys largely repeat what they did last year, that pen is nasty.  I know RPs are volatile, but that's true whether you chase closers or MRs.

I'd welcome any feedback.

Edited by 89Topps
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

C Garver

1B Josh Bell

2B Hiura

SS Baez

3B Devers

OF Bellinger, Robles, Pham, Hunter Dozier

UT Joc Pederson, Andrus

Bench  Jo Adell, Kole Calhoun, Yandy Diaz

SP Flaherty, Montas, Bumgarner, Fried, Manaea, Kopech, Archer

RP Bummer, S. Greene, W. Harris, Petit, Luke Jackson

I like my offense a lot. I probably took Adell too early, but honestly, that was before we decided to play out the season. I maybe wouldn't have made that pick if we were to do it again.

I think I waited too long to grab my #2 SP. I like Montas, but ideally he'd be a 3 and I'd have a Paddock or Castillo guy as a 2.

And, obviously I waited till real late to grab RPs.  I've never played in a SV/HD league, but this seemed like the strategy.  If those guys largely repeat what they did last year, that pen is nasty.  I know RPs are volatile, but that's true whether you chase closers or MRs.

I'd welcome any feedback.

I am higher on Bell (particularly in OBP) than what seems to be the consensus and love Hiura.  I think you're right about your SP depth, but the composite numbers could work in your favor based on the RP ratios.

I'm a little concerned about Baez in this format because he doesn't walk a lot.  I'm not looking forward to playing your team!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

My least favorite team is @Cheppy

Least favorite because it is the team I do not want to play.  Although even a 0-10 beatdown would be welcome at this point.

It’s a roto league. At least that’s my impression.

Ok I've got it now set up as a h2h categories league with OBP in place of average and saves+holds in place of saves. For now I set the playoffs to start in week 17 which is Sept 14th and 6 teams make the playoffs. I can still adjust it however we'd all agree on. 

19 minutes ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

There was mention of doing an overall ranking somehow on the mock draft originally. Is that still gonna happen? I'd love to see where my team falls. Thanks.

Not sure who mentioned this, but I did projections for the first four.  Unfortunately, my FantasyPros account lapsed, and I'm not particularly interested in renewing it with the uncertainty about whether there will be baseball in 2020.

Projections are kind of silly at this point anyway based on the complete lack of information about playing time.

• Like 2