NBC Sports Edge Forums

Rotoworld Forums MOCK #5

Message added by tonycpsu

If you'd like to follow along with the picks in this draft, you can do so here.

13 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

We've been talking in the draft room about how we're looking forward to feedback in the forum.

Would love to see some of you post your team through first 7 rounds here, and maybe even picks you struggled with. Might elicit more feedback. 🤷🏽‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

C - Wilson Ramos 1B - Jose Abreu 2B - Kevin Newman 3B - Alex Bregman SS - Trea Turner OF - Charlie Blackmon, Giancarlo Stanton, Michael Brantley, Bryan Reynolds UTL - Bo

My crew: C Omar Narvaez  1B Matt Olson  2B Gleyber Torres  3B Justin Turner  SS Adalberto Mondesi  OF Kris Bryant  OF Trey Mancini  OF Oscar Mercado  OF Ma

C - Sean Murphy 1B - Paul Goldschmidt 2B - Gavin Lux 3B - Mike Moustakas SS - Tim Anderson OF - Mike Trout, Luis Robert, David Dahl, Gregory Polanco UTL - Yordan Alvarez,

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Would love to see some of you post your team through first 7 rounds here, and maybe even picks you struggled with. Might elicit more feedback. 🤷🏽‍♂️

OF Mike Trout - LAA 1 3 3 LS
UT Yordan Alvarez - HOU 2 10 22 LS
P Shane Bieber - CLE 3 3 27 LS
P Luis Castillo - CIN 4 10 46 LS
OF Luis Robert (R) - CHW 5 3 51 LS
1B Paul Goldschmidt - STL 6 10 70 LS
P Josh Hader - MIL 7 3 75 LS

My first 7 picks. Took Robert early as I had a long time between pics after that and knew he wouldn't be coming back to me. Goldschmidt was like one of the 3 last solid 1B. It was starting to get thin at the position so I felt I needed to take him. Don't quite love the selection. With getting Bieber and Castillo felt like going Hader to start the RP early since the SP start was good. Surprised Alvarez was still there in the OBP mock starting out with 2 +.400 OBP guys is pretty great, IMO.

18 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Sure.

1.11 - Nolan Arenado (3B)

2.2 - Freddie Freeman (1B)

3.11 - Patrick Corbin (P)

4.2 - George Springer (OF)

5.11 - Manny Machado (SS)

6.2 - Nelson Cruz (UTL)

7.11 - Zack Wheeler (P)

8.2 - Jeff McNeil (2B)

I struggled with Wheeler and Springer, but I think I did well with Cruz and McNeil.  It's a 6x6 with OBP and Holds.

Edited by JE7HorseGod

1-10 JRam - thought about going Story here but didn’t want to risk losing José in the next 4 picks. I’ve gotten JRam on all 5 of my money leagues (2nd round in all of them). This mock has more sharps in it than any money league I’ve done though so I thought it was very probable had I took Story in the first that JRam would’ve been taken by the time my 2-15 pick came around. Think there’s a very good chance JRam puts up top 5 numbers this year in avg AND obp leagues.

2-15 Harper - BC took Story so I felt that Bryce was the best OBP option on the board at this time and didn’t feel like anyone else was close. Should return at least first round value in OBP leagues. 

3-34 Albies - Second base is super thin this year so I wanted to grab one of the top options at the position.  Find myself drafting Ozzie in more leagues than not this year-  won’t hurt you in any category, and will improve his SB numbers this year IMO. 

4-39 Meadows - Another solid 5 category contributor.  Love guys like him that contribute in all cats. Slight bump up in my OBP rankings. 

5-58 Yu - Needed a SP at this point and I feel that Darvish has a good shot to be a bonafide ace this year. Looks like he solved his control issue halfway through last year and was super dominant after he did. Upside central.

6-63 Hoskins - Should be really strong in an OBP league.  Most projections have him hitting 30/90/90 and where he’s a liability in the AVG category he’s actually an asset in the OBP cat.

7-82 Yates - I haven’t jumped on a RP this early in any of my money drafts thus far but I feel like I had to switch up my strategy with so many good starting pitchers gone.  Wouldn’t be surprised if he was the top closer at years end.

13 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Sure..

1. (8) Alex Bregman 

2. (17) Trea Turner 

3. (32) Charlie Blackmon 

4. (41) Zack Greinke 

5. (56) Trevor Bauer 

6. (65) Bo Bichette 

7. (80) Giancarlo Stanton

8. (89) Jose Abreu

Haven’t really struggled with any of my picks so far. Was thrown for a little bit of a loop in the 3rd round thinking I would land Clevinger so I adjusted the strategy some in the next couple of rounds.

3 minutes ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

My first 7 picks. Took Robert early as I had a long time between pics after that and knew he wouldn't be coming back to me. Goldschmidt was like one of the 3 last solid 1B. It was starting to get thin at the position so I felt I needed to take him. Don't quite love the selection. With getting Bieber and Castillo felt like going Hader to start the RP early since the SP start was good. Surprised Alvarez was still there in the OBP mock starting out with 2 +.400 OBP guys is pretty great, IMO.

Yeah 1B is unusually thin. Lots of meh picks. You don’t love taking Goldy, but it’ll end up working out I’m sure.

Love your pitchers, and love grabbing Hader there. Many underestimate how much an elite RP helps with ratios. Another elite RP and it’s like adding a top 10 SP. 

If Yordan is more of a .370 OBP guy (as most projections suggest), do you still take him there? I’m a little hesitant on taking a DH early unless he’s truly elite.

20 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Mookie Betts LAD, RF
Anthony Rendon LAA, 3B
Pete Alonso NYM, 1B
Keston Hiura Mil, 2B
Matt Olson Oak, 1B
Yu Darvish ChC, SP
9 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Sure.

1.11 - Nolan Arenado (3B)

2.2 - Freddie Freeman (1B)

3.11 - Patrick Corbin (P)

4.2 - George Springer (OF)

5.11 - Manny Machado (SS)

6.2 - Nelson Cruz (UTL)

7.11 - Zack Wheeler (P)

8.2 - Jeff McNeil (2B)

I struggled with Wheeler and Springer, but I think I did well with Cruz and McNeil.  It's a 6x6 with OBP and Holds.

Agree with your assessment. And even Springer I think is solid at that spot. 
Wheeler...man I’ve fallen for that one before. Good luck haha.

• Like 1
Just now, Backdoor Slider said:

Agree with your assessment. And even Springer I think is solid at that spot. 
Wheeler...man I’ve fallen for that one before. Good luck haha.

LOL.

It can't be any worse than the Mets defense, right?

This Is Fine creator explains the timelessness of his meme - The Verge

5 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Yeah 1B is unusually thin. Lots of meh picks. You don’t love taking Goldy, but it’ll end up working out I’m sure.

Love your pitchers, and love grabbing Hader there. Many underestimate how much an elite RP helps with ratios. Another elite RP and it’s like adding a top 10 SP. 

If Yordan is more of a .370 OBP guy (as most projections suggest), do you still take him there? I’m a little hesitant on taking a DH early unless he’s truly elite.

There's two UTL slots. And I'm of the school that UTL only doesn't matter. Good hitters can fill that slot just fine. My 8th pick was Moustakas. I love Mous, but really wanted him there so I have flexibility with my next picks at the infield positions. 

8 minutes ago, 6Kill said:

1-10 JRam - thought about going Story here but didn’t want to risk losing José in the next 4 picks. I’ve gotten JRam on all 5 of my money leagues (2nd round in all of them). This mock has more sharps in it than any money league I’ve done though so I thought it was very probable had I took Story in the first that JRam would’ve been taken by the time my 2-15 pick came around. Think there’s a very good chance JRam puts up top 5 numbers this year in avg AND obp leagues.

2-15 Harper - BC took Story so I felt that Bryce was the best OBP option on the board at this time and didn’t feel like anyone else was close. Should return at least first round value in OBP leagues. 

3-34 Albies - Second base is super thin this year so I wanted to grab one of the top options at the position.  Find myself drafting Ozzie in more leagues than not this year-  won’t hurt you in any category, and will improve his SB numbers this year IMO. 

4-39 Meadows - Another solid 5 category contributor.  Love guys like him that contribute in all cats. Slight bump up in my OBP rankings. 

5-58 Yu - Needed a SP at this point and I feel that Darvish has a good shot to be a bonafide ace this year. Looks like he solved his control issue halfway through last year and was super dominant after he did. Upside central.

6-63 Hoskins - Should be really strong in an OBP league.  Most projections have him hitting 30/90/90 and where he’s a liability in the AVG category he’s actually an asset in the OBP cat.

7-82 Yates - I haven’t jumped on a RP this early in any of my money drafts thus far but I feel like I had to switch up my strategy with so many good starting pitchers gone.  Wouldn’t be surprised if he was the top closer at years end.

JRam- Any thought go into his early season struggles? His worst months are generally April and May (I’ve owned him in a keeper). Maybe it’s weather, but if he’s slow out of the gate and he only has two months to correct instead of 4, well...

I’m not sure what to think of Yu. You could be right, but he’s older and what we saw was a SSS. Huge boom or bust pick imo

19 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

It's actually 5x5 with OBP instead of average and saves+holds instead of saves. 

• Thanks 1
35 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

@meh2 

I’m not high on Altuve this season.  Nothing to do with the cheating, more age, lack of SBs, etc. You grabbed him and started the run on 2B. Gleyber, Ozzie, Katel, Hiura all followed. You could’ve had Hiura certainly a round later, and possibly Katel (if you don’t take Altuve).

Looking back, would you rather have someone else plus Hiura instead of Altuve plus A.Rizzo?

I mentioned it in the chat, but I’m new to OBP leagues so I’m relying heavily on Grey’s OBP rankings. He’s got Rizzo ranked 17th and Altuve 20th for hitters in OBP leagues. Truth be told I own a ton of Hiura & Ketel shares in my money leagues that I’ve drafted and zero shares of Altuve & Rizzo, but these are all batting average leagues. I’m learning on the fly here. 

• Like 1
Just now, meh2 said:

I mentioned it in the chat, but I’m new to OBP leagues so I’m relying heavily on Grey’s OBP rankings. He’s got Rizzo ranked 17th and Altuve 20th for hitters in OBP leagues. Truth be told I own a ton of Hiura & Ketel shares in my money leagues that I’ve drafted and zero shares of Altuve & Rizzo, but these are all batting average leagues. I’m learning on the fly here. 

According to the rotowire projections (for whatever that is worth) it sounds like you're crushing it.

Not sure if rotowire is pro or anti trash can though...

1.2 C.Yelich

2.23 A.Rendon

3.26 S.Strasburg

4.47 M.Muncy

5.50 C.Morton

6.71 J.Soler

7.74 W.Merrifield

8.95 Y.Grandal

The only two I struggled with were Strasburg and Merrifield. I debated between Starsburg and Flaherty, but with a short season I leaned the more established guy. I may have chased SB's a bit with Merrifield, but steals without killing OBP were getting rare at the time. Hopefully he steals at a 20+ pace. 

8 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

According to the rotowire projections (for whatever that is worth) it sounds like you're crushing it.

Not sure if rotowire is pro or anti trash can though...

I’m a quick learner 😉 

• Like 1

1.12 - DeGrom - I was actually really surprised to find him still here so I felt like I couldn't let him slide any further. He's my #1 SP this year. 

2.1 - Story - I was also happy he fell to me. In OBP I have him ranked 7th overall because he is elite in nearly every single category. 

3.12 - Bogaerts - I actually wanted Albies to come back to me here and when my backup plan for him (Darvish) was taken I really liked the floor Xander provide. He doesn't hurt in any one category. Since we have 2 Util spots he fills in there without any issue.

4.1 - Starling Marte - He is exactly who I wanted right here. Not many guys have a near 25/25 floor with upside for 30/30 that don't hurt in one category. He's also in the best lineup of his career and I expect his numbers to reflect that. 

5.12 - LeMahieu - I actually wanted Olson here but since he got take I took a guy who could fill in at either 1B or 2B for me, both positions I find to be pretty shallow this year. I also think he's for real and has no problem coming close to his numbers from 2019.

6.1 - Gallo - I was so pumped to get him here. Personally in OBP I don't see a difference between him and someone like Springer with a slightly lower OBP. He seemed to turn a corner last year before the injury too. 

7.12 - Soroka - I really like him a ton this year contrary to a lot of the people who point to his metrics. It's been said by many but he sort of has a Maddux feel to him when you watch him pitch. The late improvement of his slider toward the end of the season could bode very well for him since his command of his FB is elite.

8.1 - Kluber - I love him this year and think he's being priced unfairly due to one injury riddled season. He's not old and prior to this season he has been one of the best pitchers in baseball from year to year. 2017 and 2018 he had sub-3 era and sub-1 whip with 220+ Ks. I expect something much closer to that than what he did last year. 

All in all I am pretty happy with my roster so far.

1 hour ago, Backdoor Slider said:

@meh2 

I’m not high on Altuve this season.  Nothing to do with the cheating, more age, lack of SBs, etc. You grabbed him and started the run on 2B. Gleyber, Ozzie, Katel, Hiura all followed. You could’ve had Hiura certainly a round later, and possibly Katel (if you don’t take Altuve).

Looking back, would you rather have someone else plus Hiura instead of Altuve plus A.Rizzo?

I'm not big on Altuve this year either.  If he's down around 6 SBs again, then what is he really?  Still a potential 30 HR guy at 2B, good OBP & will score a good amount of runs.  Without the 20-30 bags, he kind of looks a lot like Max Muncy or Mike Moustakas.

1 hour ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

I think you're right to look back on that Goldy pick.  You took him at 70.  Abreu went at 89, Bell at 93 and there is still a pretty solid option on the board IMO.  IMO, not a big difference between Goldy and the next 3 guys.

4 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

I think you're right to look back on that Goldy pick.  You took him at 70.  Abreu went at 89, Bell at 93 and there is still a pretty solid option on the board IMO.  IMO, not a big difference between Goldy and the next 3 guys.

I'm not a Bell fan and very easily Abreu and Goldy weren't going to be there. Leaving not so great options after that.

50 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

JRam- Any thought go into his early season struggles? His worst months are generally April and May (I’ve owned him in a keeper). Maybe it’s weather, but if he’s slow out of the gate and he only has two months to correct instead of 4, well...

I’m not sure what to think of Yu. You could be right, but he’s older and what we saw was a SSS. Huge boom or bust pick imo

Without checking, wasn't JoRam on fire the first half of 2018, then fell apart the 2nd half?  Then awful start to 2019 before catching fire again in the 2nd half?

I'm high on JoRam, as he went back to what was working in the 2nd half of last year.  I'm a little concerned he changed his approach for essentially an entire season though.

14 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

I'm not big on Altuve this year either.  If he's down around 6 SBs again, then what is he really?  Still a potential 30 HR guy at 2B, good OBP & will score a good amount of runs.  Without the 20-30 bags, he kind of looks a lot like Max Muncy or Mike Moustakas.

Altuve and Realmuto are the ultimate "scarcity" picks IMO.

You pay for the safety of a position which gets disastrous very quickly.  There are ways of mitigating that I think, but if you want to avoid the crapshoot I get it.

4 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

Without checking, wasn't JoRam on fire the first half of 2018, then fell apart the 2nd half?  Then awful start to 2019 before catching fire again in the 2nd half?

I'm high on JoRam, as he went back to what was working in the 2nd half of last year.  I'm a little concerned he changed his approach for essentially an entire season though.

Career splits-

April .251
May .263. 
June .281
July .309.  
Aug .283.  
Sep/Oct .292

Obviously there’s more to it than just average, but he clearly warms up as the season progresses.