• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No.     Stud city.

Found the Packers fan

I’ve noticed lol look at his post history. 

I’m sure they would have come out and said he actually has it and has tested positive. 

my guess is it is close contact. Hell, that dang end zone yesterday might have had it, he seemed to be there a lot yesterday. Could easily have received it from the dang pilon he hit on the ridiculous 1 hand catch 

15 minutes ago, PackerBacker555 said:

I’m sure they would have come out and said he actually has it and has tested positive. 

my guess is it is close contact. Hell, that dang end zone yesterday might have had it, he seemed to be there a lot yesterday. Could easily have received it from the dang pilon he hit on the ridiculous 1 hand catch 

I hope you are right, but the fact that it is only him, might suggest he actually tested positive.  

• Thanks 1

I still don't understand the league's COVID policy.  The Viking's statement says they "may not disclose whether player is in quarantine or is positive for COVID." 

If I remember correctly, when Jamaal Williams and Big Ben were put on the COVID list, their teams talked about it all week and were very clear it was just a "close contact" situation.

What TF are we supposed to make of this lack of clarity on the Vikings behalf regarding Thielen?  Anyone know how the Vikes handled COVID in the past?

Edited by MBarbarian

Here's some more info.  Bottom line: We don't know anything yet.

Receiver Adam Thielen became the sixth Vikings player in the past month to be isolated on the team’s reserve/COVID-19 list, the team announced on Monday.

Thielen either tested positive or was in close contact with an infected individual; based on NFL-NFLPA policy, teams don’t officially announce individual cases. But there have been only two known positive cases, linebacker Todd Davis and guard Dru Samia, among the six players. Only Thielen and Samia are on the list as of Monday afternoon.

Thielen can still be cleared to return for Sunday’s game against the Panthers. The NFL requires a minimum five-day quarantine for high-risk close contacts and asymptomatic cases, and at least 10 days for symptomatic cases. Players can return even sooner if they’re not positive nor deemed a “high-risk” close contact, as long as they test negative.

Three other players, including fullback C.J. Ham last week, have been put on the list and returned without missing game time. Samia and Davis, the known positive cases, missed at least one game.

https://m.startribune.com/receiver-adam-thielen-latest-vikings-player-isolated-on-reserve-covid-list/573171661/

2 minutes ago, MBarbarian said:

I still don't understand the league's COVID policy.  The Viking's statement says they "may not disclose whether player is in quarantine or is positive for COVID." 

If I remember correctly, when Jamaal Williams and Big Ben were put on the COVID list, their teams talked about it all week and were very clear it was just a "close contact" situation.

What TF are we supposed to make of this lack of clarity on the Vikings behalf regarding Thielen?  Anyone know how the Vikes handled COVID in the past?

Simple: It’s a violation of HIPPAA to disclose that info without the patient’s consent. 

If Theilen tested positive, it can’t be made public unless he consents.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, joshua18 said:

Simple: It’s a violation of HIPPAA to disclose that info without the patient’s consent. 

If Theilen tested positive, it can’t be made public unless he consents.

So all the other players that tested positive and were announced as having been positive gave their consent?  I doubt it.  

The simple explanation is the league DGAF about Covid.  Magically, there were NO POSITIVE tests on Sunday morning.  And then of course on Monday, we hear of positive tests.  So what does that mean?  It means that there was an asymptomatic player that tested negative but was still infectious.  Everybody in contact with Thielen just got exposed and if this were the real world, you'd be told to quarantine for 14 days.  But in the NFL, all you need is a negative test and then you can play.

3 hours ago, CooL said:

So all the other players that tested positive and were announced as having been positive gave their consent?  I doubt it.  

Correct. Otherwise the NFL would face a huge lawsuit from each player that they would lose. HIPPA was made law precisely to prevent this type of info from being shared without patient consent.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, joshua18 said:

The simple answer is often the right answer. 

Not in this case.  It's more complex.  And it's HIPAA, not HIPPA or HIPPAA.

HIPAA required national standards to be put into place to protect against a patient’s sensitive health information being leaked to another party by medical professionals and medical record keepers without the patient’s consent.

Under normal circumstances, physicians and healthcare workers could not release someone’s medical information unless authorized by the patient or required by a public health authority. That’s why the first thing your doctor asks new patients to do is to sign is a HIPAA consent form. That allows your doctor the freedom to disclose your health information to others in order to effect treatment.

Such regulations do not apply to team physicians or trainers employed by an organization or franchise. These medical officials are not subject to HIPAA, but to their employer.

“Usually the team physician is not covered by HIPAA as it relates to the team,” said Lynn Sessions, a partner at BakerHostetler and a healthcare privacy law expert for more than 25 years. “That would essentially be within an employment context that the team physician is providing care to the player, so as it relates to the employer that is a different kind of relationship.”

Athletes though, agree to share health information with their employer (even if the athlete visits an independent medical professional) when they sign a contract with a team. The reason we know so much about these athletes’ injuries on any given day is that once the information is provided to the organization through the athlete, or through the team physician, the organization is free to publicize it. Pro sports teams are not covered entities under HIPAA. Rather, they are merely considered employers. But should they be? After all, teams employ doctors and other health professionals and handle employee medical information in a way other employers don’t.

“A player can authorize the release of their information,” said Luke Fedlam, Head of Sports Law at Porter Wright and Morris LLP and Founder of Anomaly Sports Group. “But when you look at player contracts, there are provisions that say that a player is going to agree to provide the team, coach, trainers, physicians, etc., any notice of injury or illness or medical condition that they’ve suffered.”

Fedlam says these injuries or conditions are usually reported to the player’s agent and then disseminated to the team. Once that happens, information can now be leaked to the media or public without violating HIPAA. But Fedlam doesn’t think all such situations are that cut and dry.

“There are different ways that you can look at information coming to light,” said Fedlam. “If the player goes to receive independent private medical treatment and that information solely rests with that doctor that healthcare system or that hospital and doesn’t share that information with the team or authorize the sharing of that information to anyone else then that information should really stay private.” ...

Unfortunately for professional athletes, how much privacy they maintain is still up in the air.

https://deadspin.com/do-hipaa-laws-apply-to-athletes-1844195531

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Fantasy Gooroo said:

I say quarantine him for 14 days. Health over fantasy points. 

1 hour ago, JJ1223 said:

Found the Packers fan

No.  Found the guy playing against Thielen this week...

He clearly has it.  If he was just a close contact, then there's no "shame" in saying, "Oh, he gave our equipment manager a shoulder rub after the game so he's deemed to be a close contact."  Clearly he got it and the Vikings don't want to admit what a farce this testing program is.

I wish there was way more transparency about these so-called tests.  Let's see the results.  Let's see what time they were drawn.  Let's see this so-called wristband contact tracing data.  Show us that the NFL is really making this a serious issue.  But we know they're not.  We know the NFL wants the games to be played.  We know that teams want and need their star players on the field.