NBC Sports EDGE Forums

THOUGHTS ON THIS TEAM

just finished high dollar draft

roto - 6x6 (ops and k/9)     12 team - 29 man rosters...so a very deep league (4 outfielders and 2 utility spots)

c - christian vazquez

1b - freeman

2b - merrifield

ss - javy baez

3b -bregman

ci - justin turner

mi - brandon lowe

of - jorge soler, robles, justin upton, mallex smith

ut -  cj cron, choo

bench -   braun, renato nunez, freddy galvis

starters - bieber, clevenger, charlie morton, kyle hendricks, german marquez, descalfani, joe musgrove

bullpen - arodis chapman, hector neris, hansel robles, dustin may, chad green, tommy kahnle

Not a bad team at all, a few minor tweaks and it should be a leader of the pack. The pitching staff is solid, two aces, a great #3, and good depth behind Hendricks at 4 for someone to lock down your 5th spot. Your bullpen is good, all strong k/9 and era/whip ratios. The hitting is also good with a strong starting infield. You have more than enough speak with Merrifield and Robles that you should try to spin Mallex Smith on a speed needy team for an upgrade; if he tacks on some early season steals, sell high, because he will hurt you in the OPS format. You could also use the surplus pitching to maybe shop for a small upgrade; the spots you can improve are at C, MI, and the last OF spot. The bench hitters are decent but nothing special. Still, this team has a good feel, not too many health questions and a few studs.

c - christian vazquez-great sleeper

1b - freeman-best 1B in the game 

2b - merrifield-not high on him though he’s OK

ss - javy baez-stud if bounces back to 2018 form

3b -bregman-not high on him but should be OK

ci - justin turner-good value

mi - brandon lowe-not high on him

of - jorge soler, robles, justin upton, mallex smith-really low on Mallex, Upton should be good, Robles is a gamble, Soler is solid 

ut -  cj cron, choo-Solid

bench -   braun, renato nunez, freddy galvis-not sure why you’re fostering any of these guys

I like your lineup, I see some potential issues but you should be in contention with it barring bad luck. 

starters - bieber, clevenger, charlie morton, kyle hendricks, german marquez, descalfani, joe musgrove

Bieber is an ace and so is Morton, not as high on Clevinger but as a #3 he’s great. Overall good staff.

bullpen - arodis chapman, hector neris, hansel robles, dustin may, chad green, tommy kahnle

Chapman is great, not high on either Neris or Robles. You should watch the WW for saves. 

Overall if everything breaks right, could be a top 3 team.

Nothing wrong with those WW options...because you can't DL Haniger or Hill yet, you can probably wait, but both should be almost ready to go when the season starts, and they stand out about the others. I'd grab Alex Wood over Desclafani for sure. I also would take a look under the hood and compare Nunez and Seager; Seager hit a ton of bombs when he came back and has a longer track record, though Nunez was good, I didn't see if it was fluky since I didn't own him last season.

Also, if its Yahoo! and you have the NA Spot, you can stash Howard there for free (Or some other NA Player) without dropping anyone. This will give you a little more depth to start trade negotiations; were I in your shoes, I'm really trying to get German Marquez off my squad, as I just can't trust a Coors pitcher. Shop him to someone with an extra closer perhaps, that will balance out the staff nicely.

19 hours ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

just finished high dollar draft

roto - 6x6 (ops and k/9)     12 team - 29 man rosters...so a very deep league (4 outfielders and 2 utility spots)

c - christian vazquez

1b - freeman

2b - merrifield

ss - javy baez

3b -bregman

ci - justin turner

mi - brandon lowe

of - jorge soler, robles, justin upton, mallex smith

ut -  cj cron, choo

bench -   braun, renato nunez, freddy galvis

Nice draft Ashland.  I'm not a fan of Merrifield, I fear we'll see a big dip in steals due to his age.  I also really don't like Mallex Smith, especially in an OPS league.  I don't think he'll even have a job midway through the season.

I like that you waited and got some good cheap power in the OF with Soler and Upton (strong bounceback candidate).

And that pitching staff is loaded for bear.

Team should be a contender.

Return the favor?  

9 hours ago, 89Topps said:

Nice draft Ashland.  I'm not a fan of Merrifield, I fear we'll see a big dip in steals due to his age.  I also really don't like Mallex Smith, especially in an OPS league.  I don't think he'll even have a job midway through the season.

I like that you waited and got some good cheap power in the OF with Soler and Upton (strong bounceback candidate).

And that pitching staff is loaded for bear.

Team should be a contender.

Return the favor?  

took smith late for some cheap speed, I am hoping for a strong start and will look to deal him