NBC Sports Edge Forums

Isiah Kiner-Falefa 2020 Outlook

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All categories are created equal when it comes to point production for your team, but they are not created equal when it comes to production from the players. Steals are the hardest thing to find. The

Sorry you missed out on him.

If you're starting the guy as a 3rd baseman I can understand your pessimistic view but if you compare him to other catchers the guy is not only worth owning but he is an extremely valuable guy to own.

• tonycpsu changed the title to Isiah Kiner-Falefa 2020 Outlook

He's intriguing only for his C eligibility. 

I'd be taking more notice if the season was actually on tap. Thing is, he had a great spring (so did many others), but with the pause and restart (assuming there is a season) it's less likely the hot bat just carries over.

In other words. what he did in spring training is completely moot to me as it will be months before there's any game action again. I'm taking almost all of spring training with little face value due to the fact there's going to need to be some grace period for players to get ready again. Almost like a spring training 2.0.

If he does it twice, then he'll have my attention. He's waiver fodder in deep 12-team leagues for now. Maybe something for AL-only to be had...

Edited by nlm

Put him on my watch list for sure. Any C eligible player that has a chance to play everyday is valuable, especially in H2H weekly leagues. Regular catchers get 1-2 days off per week. One or two extra games from your C position per week could be a big advantage, but he has to play every day so we'll see. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, KCTD25 said:

Put him on my watch list for sure. Any C eligible player that has a chance to play everyday is valuable, especially in H2H weekly leagues. Regular catchers get 1-2 days off per week. One or two extra games from your C position per week could be a big advantage, but he has to play every day so we'll see. 

Agree, a watch list type guy IMO

Also a adjustment he made last year that went wrong was he lost weight thinking it would help his stamina and ability to catch full time and that hurt his hitting alot.

26 minutes ago, Strikeforce316 said:

I don’t see him taking the 3B job from the Toddfather

So if Toddfather takes over at 1B cuz Guzman doesnt figure it out then ...whoa!

Edited by dfstout
15 hours ago, nlm said:

He's intriguing only for his C eligibility. 

I'd be taking more notice if the season was actually on tap. Thing is, he had a great spring (so did many others), but with the pause and restart (assuming there is a season) it's less likely the hot bat just carries over.

In other words. what he did in spring training is completely moot to me as it will be months before there's any game action again. I'm taking almost all of spring training with little face value due to the fact there's going to need to be some grace period for players to get ready again. Almost like a spring training 2.0.

If he does it twice, then he'll have my attention. He's waiver fodder in deep 12-team leagues for now. Maybe something for AL-only to be had...

It's not just a hot bat, it's a stance/approach change.

Edited by sportsfreak2744

From the Dallas Morning News...

The change in how Kiner-Falefa has been perceived is dramatic...

“He truly has changed the essence of who he is as a hitter,” Rangers hitting instructor Luis Ortiz said Wednesday. “Of course, nothing is ever for certain, until it is, but he’s changed his foundation, and the foundation is now there for him to be the player he can be. He has been fun to watch.”

It comes from adjustments he made during the offseason to try and eliminate a big leg kick in his swing. His ability to keep his feet on the ground proved the foundation for the big change...

“We changed the words he used a little bit to start,” Ortiz said. “He didn’t have to crush baseballs. He just had to hit them. He came to understand that his power came from the ground up and that by simply being able to keep his feet on the ground more, he was able to let his natural talent take over. Pretty quickly, he looked more relaxed and natural.”

Link: Isiah Kiner-Falefa: brand new ballplayer in 2020?

• 3 months later...

My interest is piqued. Especially in leagues he retains C eligibility. Woodward essentially giving him a spot in the starting lineup. Sounds like he carried his progress from Spring Training 1.0 to Spring Training 2.0.

My dude is rising!

If he gets the job at 3B I may be swayed to scoop him over Sean Murphy at C spot but I haveta see first...

Woodward called him his best player...I mean ...wow...

• Haha 1

The Rotoworld blurb:

Rangers manager Chris Woodward said Wednesday that Isiah Kiner-Falefa has the "edge" to be the team's starting third baseman.

That would mean shifting Todd Frazier over to first base and Ronald Guzman and Greg Bird to the bench. Kiner-Falefa posted a 1.167 OPS with four home runs before spring camp was shut down and has continued to impress during summer camp, with Woodward saying the 25-year-old "has been our best guy." That's all well and good, but Kiner-Falefa has been a light-hitting utility player/catcher throughout the minors and majors to this point, so we're not expecting much. He is at least catcher-eligible in fantasy leagues.

Source: Evan Grant on Twitter         Jul 15, 2020, 3:14 PM ET

On 7/15/2020 at 4:50 PM, dfstout said:

My dude is rising!

If he gets the job at 3B I may be swayed to scoop him over Sean Murphy at C spot but I haveta see first...

Woodward called him his best player...I mean ...wow...

Wow in a bad way

21 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Wow in a bad way

Well lets be positive...always like to see the light go on for a player and who knows...maybe it has...its def a wait n see approach but C,3B is always nice if he ends up shining...