NBC Sports Edge Forums

Isiah Kiner-Falefa 2020 Outlook

16 hours ago, dfstout said:

Well lets be positive...always like to see the light go on for a player and who knows...maybe it has...its def a wait n see approach but C,3B is always nice if he ends up shining...

But still, his "best" player? 

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All categories are created equal when it comes to point production for your team, but they are not created equal when it comes to production from the players. Steals are the hardest thing to find. The

Sorry you missed out on him.

If you're starting the guy as a 3rd baseman I can understand your pessimistic view but if you compare him to other catchers the guy is not only worth owning but he is an extremely valuable guy to own.

20 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Have you seen their lineup? Hot take alert: Rangers will have the worst offense in baseball this year (though that it’ll depend on if their new park plays like the pitcher’s park they’re making it out to be).

23 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Sounds like a carefully measured and thoughtful response to a question that he probably got a few days earlier and wanted to spend a few days thinking over before he got back to them. I'm going to trust it implicitly.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, meh2 said:

Have you seen their lineup? Hot take alert: Rangers will have the worst offense in baseball this year (though that it’ll depend on if their new park plays like the pitcher’s park they’re making it out to be).

O's and Tigers fans are suddenly celebrating this radical news flash.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, meh2 said:

Ha yes very true 

9 hours ago, GrapeJuice said:

Sounds like a carefully measured and thoughtful response to a question that he probably got a few days earlier and wanted to spend a few days thinking over before he got back to them. I'm going to trust it implicitly.

I think the quote was along the lines of "best player this preseason".

On 7/16/2020 at 4:44 AM, hailfire4 said:

I am also interested in a catcher playing everyday somewhere else. But I think he gonna bat like 8 or 9 which would sink his value. 

That's where most catchers hit anyway though

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Poised to get you a cool 0.5 HRs this year.

Here’s my case for why he should be added in every league:

1. He’s catcher eligible and is slated for an everyday role.

2. He’s been batting leadoff or second in exhibition games so I expect we’ll see him there when the season starts.

3. He’s only 25 and MLB has been littered with players who take a little longer to breakout.

4. He’ll get you a few steals which will be great to get out of your catcher slot.

5. He had 4 home runs and an OPS over 1.100 in 37 at bats in Spring Training 1.0.

6. He’s hit several more dingers in Spring Training 2.0.

7. His manager and Rangers beat writers are glowing about him and his performance and have been talking about it nonstop.

8. He made several adjustments this offseason which appear to be driving these changes:

It’s easy to look at his stats or projections and scoff at the notion of him being fantasy relevant, but I’m pretty excited about getting in now at no cost and seeing how this plays out.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, meh2 said:

Here’s my case for why he should be added in every league:

1. He’s catcher eligible and is slated for an everyday role.

2. He’s been batting leadoff or second in exhibition games so I expect we’ll see him there when the season starts.

3. He’s only 25 and MLB has been littered with players who take a little longer to breakout.

4. He’ll get you a few steals which will be great to get out of your catcher slot.

5. He had 4 home runs and an OPS over 1.100 in 37 at bats in Spring Training 1.0.

6. He’s hit several more dingers in Spring Training 2.0.

7. His manager and Rangers beat writers are glowing about him and his performance and have been talking about it nonstop.

8. He made several adjustments this offseason which appear to be driving these changes:

It’s easy to look at his stats or projections and scoff at the notion of him being fantasy relevant, but I’m pretty excited about getting in now at no cost and seeing how this plays out.

To add something I didn't notice mentioned in the above article, he dropped weight this year after adding weight last year thinking it would help the rigorous life of a MLB catcher.

• Like 1

Lol don't bother with this guy (if you own Sanchez or Realmuto). Seriously, though, hang on to your end-of-bench Kiermaiers and Heywards and let us idiots scoop up a likely league average hitter playing every day, just not at catcher (where he -- ahem -- qualifies). I was all in on Posey so the timing couldn't have been better. Kiner's got me happy as pig in ****.

2 hours ago, id10t said:

A slap-hitting C/SB, in an alleged pitcher's park, in a short season, is absolutely the road to fame and fortune.

The optimism is based on what he's showed this off season. As a 3rd baseman playing everyday with catcher eligibility it doesn't take much to be a Top 10 fantasy catcher option. In a 60 game sprint anything is possible. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, C_McGillicuddy said:

Lol don't bother with this guy (if you own Sanchez or Realmuto). Seriously, though, hang on to your end-of-bench Kiermaiers and Heywards and let us idiots scoop up a likely league average hitter playing every day, just not at catcher (where he -- ahem -- qualifies). I was all in on Posey so the timing couldn't have been better. Kiner's got me happy as pig in ****.

What?

Have you ever owned Sanchez?

He plays like 3 times a week, and with a fully healthy Yanks squad he won't be getting as many DH opportunities. 

If you own Sanchez this is a perfect bench bat who can fill in just fine. 

1 hour ago, South Jersey Bombers said:

What?

He plays like 3 times a week, and with a fully healthy Yanks squad he won't be getting as many DH opportunities. 

He was trying to be ironic. Since a lot of mgrs haven’t gotten the memo yet IKF is a pretty nice late option in drafts if you aren’t budgeting for a name brand C.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, South Jersey Bombers said:

What?

I wouldn't bet on Judge or Stanton staying healthy and the Yankees have every incentive to have Sanchez in the lineup at least 4 times a week.

2 hours ago, South Jersey Bombers said:

Both look like monsters as of right now, so who knows.

They do, problem is they have to stay healthy. Seems like both Stanton and Judge can get hurt swinging or running a ball out. Constant state of worry owning those two. I've sold off my shares of both of them. I hope they can stay healthy and mash because it would be cool and good for baseball.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, dfstout said:

We now return to the regularly scheduled Isiah Kiner-Falefa thread after that above Yankee interruption...

Any word on Woodward makin IKF 3B every day? Hoping so...

Yes. See evan grant on Twitter 

• Thanks 1

Easily the most intriguing thing about this guy is his catcher eligibility and his probable playing everyday. 

it’s just one of those keys to successful fantasy - do not and I repeat do not let your catcher spot go idle.  Those extra 10-15 runs or rbis (in a full season) can make or break a team. Every full time catcher is going to need a rest day and who knows if there will be a viable catcher to pick up to fill the role that day.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, KingJoffrey said:

it’s just one of those keys to successful fantasy - do not and I repeat do not let your catcher spot go idle.  Those extra 10-15 runs or rbis (in a full season) can make or break a team. Every full time catcher is going to need a rest day and who knows if there will be a viable catcher to pick up to fill the role that day.

Cs are like that all the time, so there is nothing new about that.  They play 120-140 games a year at best.  There backups are total scrubs usually. 

Spending an early pick on some C that maybe gets you marginally more counting stats than the next guy down the list is usually not worth the sacrifice you make on the player you are passing by to do so.  Obviously it depends on who and your league, but there is not a lot of difference between Cs past the top 5 or 6 in a single C league.  And spending a top 5-7 round pick on someone like Sanchez or Realmuto is hardly beneficial imo unless you believe Sanchez will stay healthy and manage to get the avg above the usual low 200s he usually posts.

• Like 1

Scratched from today's lineup due to hamstring tightness. Well that's just Wonderful. We're all of 1 game into a significantly abbreviated 60 game season and he's already missing out on some of that everyday catcher eligible player action. Lovely.