NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Isiah Kiner-Falefa 2020 Outlook

dfstout

10 minutes ago, Chest-Rockwell said:

Scratched from today's lineup due to hamstring tightness. Well that's just Wonderful. We're all of 1 game into a significantly abbreviated 60 game season and he's already missing out on some of that everyday catcher eligible player action. Lovely.

Seriously, if you are worried about some scrub C who hit 1 HR last season getting hurt, you are going to go nuts when someone important on your roster goes down.  In most leagues, there is likely an equal or better option on the wire.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

Seriously, if you are worried about some scrub C who hit 1 HR last season getting hurt, you are going to go nuts when someone important on your roster goes down.  In most leagues, there is likely an equal or better option on the wire.

Of course. No real actual concerns or worries. Like you said, we're talking about a $1 more or less inconsequential scrub. Just a spontaneous drive-by post with a mix of sarcasm and cynicism is all that was.

1 hour ago, secretagentman said:

I think he isn't a scrub this year at all so it stinks but hopefully not serious.

On 7/19/2020 at 5:03 PM, The Big Bat Theory said:

O's and Tigers fans are suddenly celebrating this radical news flash.

Update: through 4 games the Rangers are rocking a 36 wRC+ thus far against Cy Young candidate Merrill Kelly and the vaunted Rockies pitching staff.

• Haha 1

He got a SB today - sure wish I had that back on my roster and in there instead of Ramos!

Edit - also, his defense was fantastic. Looks like he'll keep playing.

Edited by aapox
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, aapox said:

He got a SB today - sure wish I had that back on my roster and in there instead of Ramos!

Edit - also, his defense was fantastic. Looks like he'll keep playing.

Make that 2 swipes today now to go along with 2 runs scored.

A catcher eligible player with an everyday 3b job is one thing; a catcher eligible player with an everyday 3b job at no draft capital cost to you is another; and catcher eligible player with an everyday 3b job at no draft capital cost to you, who also swipes bags is yet entirely another.

To say that unique little combo provides a bit of an edge over the competition, that...that would be understatement.

And if you think that's nice, with his re-tooled bat, just wait until he starts stringing together some extra base hits. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Chest-Rockwell said:

Make that 2 swipes today now to go along with 2 runs scored.

A catcher eligible player with an everyday 3b job is one thing; a catcher eligible player with an everyday 3b job at no draft capital cost to you is another; and catcher eligible player with an everyday 3b job at no draft capital cost to you, who also swipes bags is yet entirely another.

To say that unique little combo provides a bit of an edge over the competition, that...that would be understatement.

And if you think that's nice, with his re-tooled bat, just wait until he starts stringing together some extra base hits. 

the 2 sb already make it worth it in a 60 game season roto league.  lol

• Like 2

To play on a statement made by Churchill, never has so much been made of so little by so many lol.  0 hrs, 0 rbis a couple of steals and runs a week in by a C that hit 1 Hr all of last year and people think they have found the next Gio Urshela or 1996 Brady Anderson-type gem at the C position.  I get he cost nothing...there is a reason and most all bottom level Cs cost you nothing\$1.

Edited by secretagentman

29 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

To play on a statement made by Churchill, never has so much been made of so little by so many lol.  0 hrs, 0 rbis a couple of steals and runs a week in by a C that hit 1 Hr all of last year and people think they have found the next Gio Urshela or 1996 Brady Anderson-type gem at the C position.  I get he cost nothing...there is a reason and most all bottom level Cs cost you nothing\$1.

Sorry you missed out on him.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

I  remind you he missed some games to start the season.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, secretagentman said:

He’s played in 3 games and you’re quoting this years stats as some sort of argument against him lol. People are excited because (1) he showed an increase in power in both camps due to changes in his swing and (2) he’s getting everyday at bats with catcher eligibility which combined with (1) is potentially (this is the key word) fantasy gold at no cost. Really not that hard to understand. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, secretagentman said:

5 hours ago, ty5592 said:

He’s played in 3 games and you’re quoting this years stats as some sort of argument against him lol. People are excited because (1) he showed an increase in power in both camps due to changes in his swing and (2) he’s getting everyday at bats with catcher eligibility which combined with (1) is potentially (this is the key word) fantasy gold at no cost. Really not that hard to understand. 

Well said ty5592. And I love the the whole New York (Mets avatar guy vs. Yankees avatar guy) rivalry dynamic between the two contrasting view points of the posters quoted above. Provides a nifty little touch to it. After 1 inning of play I have it as 1-0 Mets.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ty5592 said:

He had roughly a full season of ABs (566) in the past 2 years and hit all of 5 HRs (1 last year with a juiced ball and 4 the year prior).  And he had 5 HRs in 3-4 years in the minors with all 5 coming at AA in 2017 over 500+ ABs.    It has nothing to do with this year and EVERYTHING to do with him showing NOTHING his entire MLB and pro career.  If you think some limited ST ABs and supposed swing change prove anything, go for it.  Zebras rarely change their stripes.

On 7/31/2020 at 1:18 PM, secretagentman said:

He had roughly a full season of ABs (566) in the past 2 years and hit all of 5 HRs (1 last year with a juiced ball and 4 the year prior).  And he had 5 HRs in 3-4 years in the minors with all 5 coming at AA in 2017 over 500+ ABs.    It has nothing to do with this year and EVERYTHING to do with him showing NOTHING his entire MLB and pro career.  If you think some limited ST ABs and supposed swing change prove anything, go for it.  Zebras rarely change their stripes.

He’s a catcher who plays every day. In a single catcher league with weekly lineup sets, he could be the worst hitter in the majors and still produce more than half the catchers in your league. Toss in the steals (Another one tonight. That makes 3 in 11 games), and suddenly he’s one of the most valuable catchers in that league, worst hitter in the game or not (he’s not). 

• Like 2

Another day, another day with catcher eligible Isiah Kiner-Falefa starting at the hot corner for the Texas Rangers. So bizarre.

What's even weirder is that this supposed terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad hitter with a revamped bat.....

He went 3 for 4 this afternoon (including his second three-bagger already on this young season. The man...has wheels) 

Oh, and a couple of runs scored too. Ho-hum.

No steals though.

Still stuck on 3.

3 bags...in 11 games.

A catcher.

• Like 2

He's continuing to see and hit the ball well. He's attempted 2 SBs today after 2 singles (maybe one was the fielder's choice, can't remember) - First one, he had the bag but fell off and after review was called out. Second one, was close, called out, but after review was safe. It's clear that he's got the right to run and Texas is one of the few teams who will be running a lot this year. IKF looks like he might not be a liability on and categories and what he will lack for in HRs and maybe R/RBI he will absolutely make up for in SBs. He's in my catcher spot the rest of the year unless he suddenly goes cold, but he has a super simple, compact swing that prioritizes hitting the ball where it's pitched, so I expect him to end at .260 or so at the worst by year's end with a good chance to hit up towards .290 if it's for real.

8 minutes ago, aapox said:

He's continuing to see and hit the ball well. He's attempted 2 SBs today after 2 singles (maybe one was the fielder's choice, can't remember) - First one, he had the bag but fell off and after review was called out. Second one, was close, called out, but after review was safe. It's clear that he's got the right to run and Texas is one of the few teams who will be running a lot this year. IKF looks like he might not be a liability on and categories and what he will lack for in HRs and maybe R/RBI he will absolutely make up for in SBs. He's in my catcher spot the rest of the year unless he suddenly goes cold, but he has a super simple, compact swing that prioritizes hitting the ball where it's pitched, so I expect him to end at .260 or so at the worst by year's end with a good chance to hit up towards .290 if it's for real.

1 Rbi / 0 Hrs.  So much for the revamped power swing lol.  Now it appears he is a SB threat at C and the C version of Dee Gordon lol.  Absolutely crushes you in 2 counting categories.  Bad team with a bad offense to boot. 

Edited by secretagentman
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

1 Rbi / 0 Hrs.  So much for the revamped power swing lol.  Now it appears he is a SB threat at C and the C version of Dee Gordon lol.  Absolutely crushes you in 2 counting categories.  Bad team with a bad offense to boot. 

I see you’ve decided to double down on your bad take. He’s playing every day, batting.364, has 4 steals, is catcher eligible, and was free to acquire off the waiver wire. Anyone that owns him is thrilled with that production. Entering tonight he was 6th on the Yahoo player rater at catcher (in the top 200) and after tonight will be moving higher. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

I feel you, but would you rather have a crappy average and no SB from your catcher? It's kind of either one unless you have a stud like JT. Can basically get R/RBI/HR from most players these days. Having SB from catcher is a nice bonus, not to mention his, so far, really good hitting. Once he elevates some of these balls he'll get a few HRs. The RBIs will be wanting, though.