NBC Sports Edge Forums

Fantasy Baseball HOF, but not MLB HOF

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Todd Helton - Shawn Green those were early guys who carried me when I started playing in late 90s/early 2000s.     Lance Berkman - Roy Oswalt - Jason Giambi always seemed to find ways onto my t

Tino Martinez, Bobby Abreu and Magglio Ordonez are the first ones to come to mind.   From 1995-2001 Tino was a premier RBI producer. Abreu was always one of my favorite players to draft. Was

Two great calls here. I always owned Harden in the hopes that he’d finally stay healthy. Side note I’ve got a Carl Crawford card with a game-used bat piece in it. If you’ve got any use for it, DM

13 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

my favorite random fantasy season ever, 2000 Richard Hidalgo.  .314 avg, 44 homers, 122 RBIs, 118 runs, 13 SBs, 1000+ ops.  

Not as random considering his move to Coors but that was Preston Wilson for me circa 2003. He was key in catapulting my team to the title.

.282 avg, 36 hr, 141 RBI, 94 R, 14 SB

Edited by Cheppy
1 minute ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Honestly same with Schilling though. He’s a top 25 SP all-time who’s being kept out by writers, but is certainly a HOFer.

I did not think of him as a HOFer...Few dominant years I felt but over his about 20 years I only loved him a few. But just top of head and not looking at stats.

9 minutes ago, FantasyGeek2018 said:

I did not think of him as a HOFer...Few dominant years I felt but over his about 20 years I only loved him a few. But just top of head and not looking at stats.

I think there’s a lot to be said about Schilling’s playoff success. Runner up to Cy Young 3 times to Randy Johnson to boot. Highest career K:BB of any pitcher in the 3000k club.

Jeter’s longevity was a big driver for his HOF success, but I think the playoff success helped his case quite a bit too. Ironically, Schilling doesn’t get the same benefit from his playoff record because of how outspoken he is about his political beliefs

Edited by UberRebel
  • Like 1
12 minutes ago, FantasyGeek2018 said:

26th all-time in P WAR, and this doesn’t factor in playoff success. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/WAR_pitch_career.shtml

I dont know about fantasy HOF, but magglio ordonez never got any love.  That's a name we likely wont hear much again.  He had a string of crazy seasons. 

Edited by Cesare13
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, FantasyGeek2018 said:

Juan Gonzalez....Had him as a keeper forever....In 1998 I remember him hitting a 2 or 3 run HR in the final game before the all star break to give him 101 RBI before the break.

Juan Gone had seasons with 157 rbis 140 and 144 dude was a RBI machine

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

I dont know about fantasy HOF, but magglio ordonez never got any love.  That's a name we likely wont hear much again.  He had a string of crazy seasons. 

Magglio was awesome. And without looking, I’m reminded of guys like Tim Salmon and Garret Anderson as well. I don’t think they were quite Magglio, particularly in the AVG department, but super solid fantasy pieces for many years.

5 hours ago, Trexpenniebaker said:

Going to toss out Albert Belles name. Had some monster yrs with Cleveland   Only player in baseball history to hit 50 doubles and 50 hrs in the same season.

Joey Belle! Didn’t he get in trouble for trying to run over kids during Halloween?

• Like 1

I looked up 2008 fantasy rankings, because I had nothing better to do. Was a great trip down memory lane! Forgot about guys like Peavy, OsWalt, and Matt Kemp. And lesser guys like Garrett Atkins and Brad Hawpe (always chasing those Rockies)! 
http://www.mlb.com/content/printer_friendly/mlb/y2008/m01/d30/c2360329.jsp

It was before I played - maybe before most all of us played - but Juan Samuel's peak 1984-1987 was stellar and he stayed relevant as a power-speed guy through 1991 when healthy.  Speaking of when healthy -- Eric Davis of course - just incredible.

Edited by EWV1

A few underrated guys who use to carry me:

Brian Roberts - great speed and never killed you anywhere 

Aramis Ramirez - RBI machine 

Brian Giles - always underrated on those awful Pirate clubs 

Troy Glaus - had some huge power years 

Ryan Klesko - steady under the radar performer 

Moises Alou - could roll out of bed today and probably hit .290

Jorge Posada - maybe I was attracted to guys with no batting gloves?

Miguel Tejada - guy has to be the iron man, played a ton of games and ran into a ton of stats 

Jose Vidro - poor guy had to end career in Seattle.  Use to be my 2B steal every year in roid era.  Didn’t hit for a ton of power bit professional .300+ hitter hidden in Montreal.

• Like 1