NBC Sports Edge Forums

Fantasy Baseball HOF, but not MLB HOF

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Todd Helton - Shawn Green those were early guys who carried me when I started playing in late 90s/early 2000s.     Lance Berkman - Roy Oswalt - Jason Giambi always seemed to find ways onto my t

Tino Martinez, Bobby Abreu and Magglio Ordonez are the first ones to come to mind.   From 1995-2001 Tino was a premier RBI producer. Abreu was always one of my favorite players to draft. Was

Two great calls here. I always owned Harden in the hopes that he’d finally stay healthy. Side note I’ve got a Carl Crawford card with a game-used bat piece in it. If you’ve got any use for it, DM

Larry Walker in my early days of playing fantasy was one of the best hitters I can remember. From 1997 to 2002 he was particularly dominant and helped me win several titles.

And while he obviously wasn't a consistent force, Brady Anderson from 1996:

.297 Avg, 1.034 OPS, 117 Runs, 50 HR, 110 RBI, 21 SB's

2 minutes ago, Dark One said:

Larry Walker in my early days of playing fantasy was one of the best hitters I can remember. From 1997 to 2002 he was particularly dominant and helped me win several titles.

And while he obviously wasn't a consistent force, Brady Anderson from 1996:

.297 Avg, 1.034 OPS, 117 Runs, 50 HR, 110 RBI, 21 SB's

Walker is in the HOF

2 minutes ago, Dark One said:

You might want to check either the 2020 ballots or the theme of this thread. 

from the perspective of auction price, in my 24-year young (since '97) AL only keeper league, no player has been drafted more often for $50+ than Carl Crawford.  And those 4-5 years of so w/ the Rays, he returned that value every year .....

• Like 2

Lance Berkman - Averaged 103 R, 33 HR, 111 RBI and a .297/.410/.548 line for a decade (with ~8SB a season to boot) averaged out to 162 games/season. 

Michael Young was a guy I ended up with a lot. 

Jose Reyes and David Wright. I remember thinking I was set with them once I had both in a dynasty startup around 2005. From 05-15 he averaged 108/13/65/51/.290 (with a .341 OBP) per 162. Outstanding. Didn't kill you at power but gave great R and SB and BA numbers. David Wright for 7 years averaged 102/26/106/22/.301 per 162 for 7 years. 

A lot of these "averages" are including the fact guys were mostly playing full seasons during these periods, they injuries piled up late and kept them down. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, sngehl01 said:

Lance Berkman - Averaged 103 R, 33 HR, 111 RBI and a .297/.410/.548 line for a decade (with ~8SB a season to boot) averaged out to 162 games/season. 

Michael Young was a guy I ended up with a lot. 

Jose Reyes and David Wright. I remember thinking I was set with them once I had both in a dynasty startup around 2005. From 05-15 he averaged 108/13/65/51/.290 (with a .341 OBP) per 162. Outstanding. Didn't kill you at power but gave great R and SB and BA numbers. David Wright for 7 years averaged 102/26/106/22/.301 per 162 for 7 years. 

A lot of these "averages" are including the fact guys were mostly playing full seasons during these periods, they injuries piled up late and kept them down. 

Was just about to post these two names along with Jason Schmidt

Edited by hockeyfan77

Jason Bay, Aramis Ramirez, Prince Fielder, Carlos Lee I remember being consistent early round but not quite first pick guys.

Closers like Gagne, Koch, and even that fun 1999 John rocker year gets an honorable mention.

Rich Harden gets a special place. I’d always chase what he could do if he played. Always got hurt and I loved how he looked for all 7 games he’d pitch each year lol. I think he actually played one full year and was amazing. He was my kryptonite.

And then my favorite MLB player of all time, Carl Crawford. 

14 minutes ago, Wytchclt55 said:

Jason Bay, Aramis Ramirez, Prince Fielder, Carlos Lee I remember being consistent early round but not quite first pick guys.

Closers like Gagne, Koch, and even that fun 1999 John rocker year gets an honorable mention.

Rich Harden gets a special place. I’d always chase what he could do if he played. Always got hurt and I loved how he looked for all 7 games he’d pitch each year lol. I think he actually played one full year and was amazing. He was my kryptonite.

And then my favorite MLB player of all time, Carl Crawford. 

Two great calls here. I always owned Harden in the hopes that he’d finally stay healthy.

Side note I’ve got a Carl Crawford card with a game-used bat piece in it. If you’ve got any use for it, DM me your address and I’ll shoot it your way. 

• Like 3
55 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Two great calls here. I always owned Harden in the hopes that he’d finally stay healthy.

Side note I’ve got a Carl Crawford card with a game-used bat piece in it. If you’ve got any use for it, DM me your address and I’ll shoot it your way. 

I’m also a card carrying member of the glass half full Rich Harden club.

Another player who was very fantasy relevant for a time was Aramis Ramirez. For a good 6/7 years he was a very good contributor in homeruns, RBIs and Avg.

• Like 1

Eric Davis, Will Clark, Kevin Mass

Mike Greenwell, Gregg Jeffries, Carlos Baerga

John Olerud, Cecil Fielder, Juan Gonzalez

Ken Caminiti (RIP), Ron Gant, Kevin Mitchell

Tim Salmon, Juan Samuel, Dante Bichette

Pedro Gurrerro, Carney Lansford, Tino Maftinez

Greg Vaughn, Paul O'Neill, Darrell Evans

David Justice, Cory Snyder, Ray Lankford

Willie McGee, Marquis Grissom, Andy Van Slyke

Roberto Kelley, Terry Pendelton, Steve Finley

Jose Canseco, Julio Franco, Carlos DelGado

Chris Sabo, Troy Glaus, Danny Tartabull

Mark Grace, Devon White, Dave Parker

Matt Williams, Tony Phillips, Willie McGee

Bobby Bonilla, Lenny Dykstra, Reggie Sanders

Robin Ventura, Rusty Greer, Chuck Knoblauch

...just to name a few

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Probably not a fantasy "Hall of Famer", but prime Matt Kemp won me back to back titles.

And just to throw out a name that hasn't been mentioned yet, but my buddy drafted Youk several years in a row in our OPS league.  Had a nice 3-4 year run.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, WahooManiac said:

That list stirs memories... remember when chuck Knoblauch forgot how to throw? 

Nicely done @Chest-Rockwell

I sure do. Knoblauch acquired a nasty case of the yips later on in his career. Pretty much immediately upon becoming a member of the Yankees in 1998, Knoblauch began having fielding issues.

However, his yips on the short distance throw from the 2b position to 1b specifically heightened in the year 2000 when, rather infamously, Knoblauch voluntarily removed himself from a ballgame against my ChiSox in the 6th inning after having just committed his THIRD throwing error of the contest.

It was pretty much lights out after that for Chuck. His career fizzled out pretty quickly shortly thereafter, as he was out of baseball entirely upon conclusion of the 2002 season, wrapping things up with a nondescript 80 game stint with the lowly Kansas City Royals.

Edited by Chest-Rockwell
  • Like 1