NBC Sports Edge Forums

Josh Allen 2020 Outlook

29 minutes ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

Is he injured? I see some type of strap/sling on his shoulder 

Don't QB's always ice down their arms after a game?

Anyway - I think the rain had to do something with it.  He had some really bad throws which I think were bc of the ball slipping.  Had to be.

This, of course, doesn't bode so well for us when bad weather hits Buffalo.

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I truly believe he is the most talented and uniquely gifted QB / Football Player in the entire history of the NFL. We've never seen a total package like this, ever; he's a unicorn. He can do everythin

Thank you for a championship,  my friend! 80 point comeback FTW with just Diggs and you!

Just be honest you haven't watched a single snap of him. These canned prewritten takes from 2 years ago are old.

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

Why was Mahomes 80% completion and 9 YPA? Well "because he's Mahomes" is a good reason but Allen is supposed to sustain QB1 numbers and improvement but flopped against two contenders. 

Because their defense and running game are garbage and we are seeing Allen Have to adjust to some real teams instead of the garbage slate he had games 1-4.

He should get back on track against NYJ next week and hopefully keep the momentum against better teams ROS. 

35 minutes ago, JacobThunder15 said:

Did anyone see the left hand go in his pocket after the attempt to get the 1st on 4th and short? Im thinking he's a little banged up, not enough to be held out but this MVP is not performing the same lvl as a few weeks ago

I noticed that too.  It's not his throwing arm.  He might be a little hurt but his passes had the same zip that they always do.  Not sure how much of the inaccuracy was due to the rain but it had to affect it some.

This is the positive - this is what his floor looks like.  It wasn't that bad.  I mean, you guys weren't expecting 4 tds every game were you?  He played as bad as he could and still put up decent numbers.  He's a better version of Tim Tebow, and we all remember Tim being a QB1 even though he couldn't throw it in the ocean.

1 hour ago, kp96 said:

I noticed that too.  It's not his throwing arm.  He might be a little hurt but his passes had the same zip that they always do.  Not sure how much of the inaccuracy was due to the rain but it had to affect it some.

This is the positive - this is what his floor looks like.  It wasn't that bad.  I mean, you guys weren't expecting 4 tds every game were you?  He played as bad as he could and still put up decent numbers.  He's a better version of Tim Tebow, and we all remember Tim being a QB1 even though he couldn't throw it in the ocean.

he ran more tonight than he had been so thats a positive from a fantasy perspective. 

The positives...

61 yards rushing keeps his floor high.  He's clearly their best runner(which says more about how bad the actual RBs are.)   Completed 70% of his passes with no interceptions.  Didn't really have the ball much in the first half cause the Jets were running it at will against the Bills D and that really ran the clock. 

The Negatives...

A lot of that 70% completion was on short, safer passes.  Averaged 7 YPCompletion.  Stefon Diggs only averaged 8 YPC.  There was no real driving the ball down the field, at least not enough that it really stood out.  Maybe it was game plan.  Maybe that's just what the Jets were giving them, but that falls in line with the inability to punch it in as they got close.  As the field got shorter and the short space got tighter they stalled.  Combine that with an anemic run game(from the backs) and here we are. 

I would have liked to see a hell of a lot more against the stupid Jets.  He's setting back into that high floor, high ceiling guy who will more often that not sit closer to the floor than the ceiling.  

Tough test against the Pats next week. 

Yeah I think we really need to pump the brakes on Allen. I don’t think we need to panic, but I don’t think he is set and forget like a high end QB1.

I think the offense really misses John Brown and Knox. A lot of what the Bills did early in the season was stretch the field and play action to the TE. Right now Allen just doesn’t have enough around him. He needs more than Diggs and Beasley. 

The offense just isn’t explosive right now. I am going to look elsewhere this week because of the matchup. It is a divisional game in what looks to be a low scoring game. I think Vegas has the over/under at only 45 points, that’s very low.

I didn’t warch, but from the highlights Allen had a couple plays go against him. Had a wide open Kroft who would have walked into the end zone but he got his feet tangled up. There was also a play to Cole Beasley that was either a TD and called back or out close to the goal line.

• Haha 1

Unbelievable how quickly Allen has regressed from looking like an elite top 5 fantasy QB to looking like a QB you can no longer be confident starting. I’m not buying that it’s because John Brown is out. It’s not like Brown is elite. Allen’s production shouldn’t change this dramatically just because John Brown is out. Particularly when considering his last two matchups should’ve been fantasy gold. Next week he gets NE, which should be another dud.

It’s really disappointing too, because Allen is a fun guy to root for, and very exciting to watch when he’s playing well. Unfortunately it seems like he’s either on fire or completely off his game, even in a prime matchup vs the lowly Jets. 8 FG attempts and a turnover near the goal line. Zero TDs. Hard to make sense of that considering the way he was playing just a few weeks ago. 

• Haha 1
26 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Unbelievable how quickly Allen has regressed from looking like an elite top 5 fantasy QB to looking like a QB you can no longer be confident starting. I’m not buying that it’s because John Brown is out. It’s not like Brown is elite. Allen’s production shouldn’t change this dramatically just because John Brown is out. Particularly when considering his last two matchups should’ve been fantasy gold. Next week he gets NE, which should be another dud.

It’s really disappointing too, because Allen is a fun guy to root for, and very exciting to watch when he’s playing well. Unfortunately it seems like he’s either on fire or completely off his game, even in a prime matchup vs the lowly Jets. 8 FG attempts and a turnover near the goal line. Zero TDs. Hard to make sense of that considering the way he was playing just a few weeks ago. 

This post makes me laugh... I mean do you make your assessments from highlights? 

Turnover near the goal line you refer to was a 3rd down sack with no protection honestly don't even know if he finished his drop back and the LOS was on the 15 yardline...

He threw for 300 yards and 70% complete, but here's the issue with the Bills offense... Same issue all year... They can not run the ball AT ALL... And even worse when they do run it its so obvious i can call it from my couch most times, or they'll run from a shotgun set up for failure...

This has made Buffalo a 1 dimensional offense, teams do not fear them running it the least bit and it has taken a toll on their passing game. 

Allen was very effective on play action early in the year but teams now realize they can ignore the run and still stop it. 

• Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

This post makes me laugh... I mean do you make your assessments from highlights? 

Turnover near the goal line you refer to was a 3rd down sack with no protection honestly don't even know if he finished his drop back and the LOS was on the 15 yardline...

He threw for 300 yards and 70% complete, but here's the issue with the Bills offense... Same issue all year... They can not run the ball AT ALL... And even worse when they do run it its so obvious i can call it from my couch most times, or they'll run from a shotgun set up for failure...

This has made Buffalo a 1 dimensional offense, teams do not fear them running it the least bit and it has taken a toll on their passing game. 

Allen was very effective on play action early in the year but teams now realize they can ignore the run and still stop it. 

What part of my post makes you laugh? And which part was inaccurate? 

No, I didn’t actually see the play where Allen fumbled near the goal line. I also never blamed it on Allen. The bottom line is that it was just one of many opportunities to score that he/they were unable to capitalize on for whatever reason, and some of the blame must go on Allen. 

I wasn’t able to watch the Bills yesterday, but I did watch them vs TEN & KC, and Allen did not look very good in those games. You want to blame it all on the ineffective rushing game, but HOU has the worst avg rush ypg in the NFL, yet Watson still finds a way to be productive and score TDs. CIN averages just 1 rushing yard per game more than BUF, yet Burrow was still able to throw for 400 yards and 3 TDs yesterday. 

Edited by Lamont Sanford

Should of had 2-3 TDs in this game..  One formation penalty brought back the Davis TD, Kroft trips himself on what would of been a 55 yard TD, and Beasley was out of bounds by the pylon for another would be TD..

That aside their red zone offense was struggling a bit..

Should have some positive TD regression coming up...

• Like 3
30 minutes ago, HeHateMe23 said:

Should of had 2-3 TDs in this game..  One formation penalty brought back the Davis TD, Kroft trips himself on what would of been a 55 yard TD, and Beasley was out of bounds by the pylon for another would be TD..

That aside their red zone offense was struggling a bit..

Should have some positive TD regression coming up...

Thanks for this info. Like I said, I wasn’t able to watch Buffalo yesterday. Sounds like Allen played better than I thought which is encouraging. Still a disappointing fantasy day, but at least that puts it into context.

4 minutes ago, dsrich said:

Yeah nobody here really watched the game. If you did, you’d realize fantasy output is not always a function of how that person actually played.

True, though Allen didn’t look great the two games prior so it’s understandable that people (like me) might assume he played poorly again. 9 drives stalled for 8 FG attempts and a turnover is concerning.

Edited by Lamont Sanford
2 hours ago, Lamont Sanford said:

What part of my post makes you laugh? And which part was inaccurate? 

No, I didn’t actually see the play where Allen fumbled near the goal line. I also never blamed it on Allen. The bottom line is that it was just one of many opportunities to score that he/they were unable to capitalize on for whatever reason, and some of the blame must go on Allen. 

I wasn’t able to watch the Bills yesterday, but I did watch them vs TEN & KC, and Allen did not look very good in those games. You want to blame it all on the ineffective rushing game, but HOU has the worst avg rush ypg in the NFL, yet Watson still finds a way to be productive and score TDs. CIN averages just 1 rushing yard per game more than BUF, yet Burrow was still able to throw for 400 yards and 3 TDs yesterday. 

So you've seen 2 games, one of which was pouring rain with guys falling and dropping passes all over. Lol ok.

Those teams you named have David Johnson and Joe Mixon in their backfield... Not little Devin Singletary who is a COP back that can't run between the tackles. Defenses are changing the way they game plan vs the Bills and completely ignore the play action that worked so well early on.

Just funny to me you make this assessment that: "Unbelievable how quickly Allen has regressed from looking like an elite top 5 fantasy QB to looking like a QB you can no longer be confident starting." Without actually watching him lol

1 minute ago, StevieStats said:

Just funny to me you make this assessment that: "Unbelievable how quickly Allen has regressed from looking like an elite top 5 fantasy QB to looking like a QB you can no longer be confident starting." Without actually watching him lol

Most ppl aren’t watching bills games, and they’re still referencing the narrative he was given last year from the media. 

plus those 2 games where Allen struggled were against 2 of the top 3 teams in the afc with great defenses. Allen’s barely working with a run game and has to carry that team all the way

He’ll be fine ros. Will throw and run for plenty of touchdowns

1 minute ago, MBarbarian said:

They won the game and are comfortably in first in their division (5-2)...Miami second at 3-3.  I would love a trade for another deep threat.

Brandin Cooks and Will Fuller say hello.

Brown just can’t stay healthy, might be time to bring in a deep threat at WR. This offense needs someone badly who can take the top off. As good as Diggs is, he is more or an intermediate guy like Beasley.

2 minutes ago, MBarbarian said:

They won the game and are comfortably in first in their division (5-2)...Miami second at 3-3.  I would love a trade for another deep threat.

I think they should invest in the o-line so the run game can improve

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Lamont Sanford said:

True, though Allen didn’t look great the two games prior so it’s understandable that people (like me) might assume he played poorly again. 9 drives stalled for 8 FG attempts and a turnover is concerning.

He was poor against KC early on but the conditions were tough. The Titans game he was not helped by a bobbled pass early which led to the interception. That is always a rough way to start. The offense overall has slowed down a lot and brown being out plays a role as he is a threat downfield. He tends to force throws to diggs and tries to make something happen every play which leads to some rollercoaster moments (forced passes, fumbles, sacks).

The bills have been horrendous on defense this year excluding a couple games against the jets. They struggle generating pressure and struggle stopping the run, a result of losing some important interior DL in the offseason. Finally yesterday we got some edge rush which, unsurprisingly, led to good things.

As has been stated, outside of yesterday a bit, the running game has also been nonexistent. All of this puts extra load on Allen where it seems he has to play like Superman which is not fair to him.

The numbers yesterday didn’t back it up from a fantasy perspective but he played well. Took the check down plays when they were open against the deep safeties and threw some away. The fumble was a result of a nonexistent block by the right side of protection.

He had a touchdown to Davis called back because the rookie apparently didn’t point to the ref to see if he was lined up correctly (didn’t see replay, could have been bogus). Kroft also had a shot and he pulled a Daniel Jones down the sidelines.

3 hours ago, PisEdiRin said:

Everything can be attributed to the absence of John Brown.

Nothing to see here, folks.

Once John Brown returns healthy, Allen will be a regular 25 point producer.

It's kind of terrifying if John Brown is really this integral to Josh Allen's outlook. Especially against the New York Jets

• Like 1