NBC Sports Edge Forums

Josh Allen 2020 Outlook

Just now, PizzaBeerFF said:

Me too. Oh well, let’s see if we can land something promising in free agency or trade or draft. 

Felger and Mazz want Stafford. Id be ok with that.

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I truly believe he is the most talented and uniquely gifted QB / Football Player in the entire history of the NFL. We've never seen a total package like this, ever; he's a unicorn. He can do everythin

Thank you for a championship,  my friend! 80 point comeback FTW with just Diggs and you!

Just be honest you haven't watched a single snap of him. These canned prewritten takes from 2 years ago are old.

Posted Images

24 years old with his whole career in front of him.

More talented than Dan Marino. More talented than Aaron Rodgers. (Both of whom have only 1 career Super Bowl appearance).

The Bills need to cut John Brown (easy move, saves $8 million on the cap) and upgrade his speed with Will Fuller.

The only way the Bills can even compete with the Chiefs in 2021 is if they add Will Fuller to pair him with Stefon Diggs.

Diggs + Fuller is the only chance of having a fair fight with Tyreek + Kelce. You have to match speed with speed. It's the only way in the modern NFL.

No Fuller in 2021 = same result for the Bills in 2021. The Bills have to match Tyreek Hill with the closest thing to Tyreek Hill which is Will Fuller.

If I'm the Bills, I convince Fuller to sign a 1-year prove-it deal where he will have guaranteed production with Josh Allen and Diggs drawing attention, so he can sign a huge long-term deal in 2022 after building up his value from the PED suspension.

• Like 1

If the above is true, I look forward to watching the Bucs get steam-rolled in a couple of weeks with their array of slow-poke receiving options.

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, PisEdiRin said:

More talented than Dan Marino. More talented than Aaron Rodgers. (Both of whom have only 1 career Super Bowl appearance).

The Bills need to cut John Brown (easy move, saves $8 million on the cap) and upgrade his speed with Will Fuller.

The only way the Bills can even compete with the Chiefs in 2021 is if they add Will Fuller to pair him with Stefon Diggs.

Diggs + Fuller is the only chance of having a fair fight with Tyreek + Kelce. You have to match speed with speed. It's the only way in the modern NFL.

No Fuller in 2021 = same result for the Bills in 2021. The Bills have to match Tyreek Hill with the closest thing to Tyreek Hill which is Will Fuller.

If I'm the Bills, I convince Fuller to sign a 1-year prove-it deal where he will have guaranteed production with Josh Allen and Diggs drawing attention, so he can sign a huge long-term deal in 2022 after building up his value from the PED suspension.

Id rather see the Bills get Curtis Samuel.

Fuller is a str8 line guy made of glass.

• 2 weeks later...

3 ways the Bills can very very easily improve the cast around Allen for 2021 to make sure Allen repeats as Overall QB1

1) Find a better Speed WR to upgrade from 31 year old gimpy 2020 version of John Brown. Should be easy to do.

2) Find a more explosive RB who can impact the passing game better than Devin Singletary. Should be easy to do.

3) Find a better TE than Dawson Knox. Should be easy to do.

Finding upgrades at WR, RB, and TE from a gimpy John Brown, Devin Singletary, and Dawson Knox sounds like an extremely easy and feasable task. Replacement level players at their positions.

• Like 1

So...upgrade at every skill position?

Can’t argue with the logic here....

Edited by BMcP
3 minutes ago, BMcP said:

So...upgrade at every skill position?

Can’t argue with the logic here....

It's more about the quality of the players they are replacing. The guys they need to find upgrades for, are not good. Singletary is not good. Knox is not good. It's a lot easier to upgrade from bad players. The Bills have very easily upgradeable situations around Josh particularly at RB and TE.

Couple notes:

1) Allen in 3 seasons has gotten 4 more MVP votes than R Wilson in 9 seasons.

2) Last night was a very positive development for Allen and the Bills. Do not crown Mahomes just yet as the Best QB of His Era. Instead of being down 2 rings, Allen is only down 1 ring. Josh Allen still has the next 15 years to overtake and surpass Mahomes. Given his exponential trajectory thus far, it's definitely possible. Last night kept them close. The story isn't over yet. After Brady retires, it's Mahomes vs Allen for 15 years. Long ways to go to decide who the better QB is long term. Also, the Chiefs showed they are vulnerable and could be beat if GM Beane adds the right pieces. That has to feel great if you're a Bills fan.

Edited by PisEdiRin
On 2/7/2021 at 2:27 PM, PisEdiRin said:

3 ways the Bills can very very easily improve the cast around Allen for 2021 to make sure Allen repeats as Overall QB1

1) Find a better Speed WR to upgrade from 31 year old gimpy 2020 version of John Brown. Should be easy to do.

2) Find a more explosive RB who can impact the passing game better than Devin Singletary. Should be easy to do.

3) Find a better TE than Dawson Knox. Should be easy to do.

Finding upgrades at WR, RB, and TE from a gimpy John Brown, Devin Singletary, and Dawson Knox sounds like an extremely easy and feasable task. Replacement level players at their positions.

Agreed with all of this. These are slight tweaks, basically, that could pay off big. Singletary has topped out - that situation needs to be solved more than the other two imo. Moss is great but so far I don't see him profiling as a 3-down back. Bills need to upgrade this position. 

Brown is more of a borderline case - he had an injury-plagued year. He's very good when he's right physically. I saw you advocated Fuller earlier - tell me how that's much different than Brown. Brown is actually more dependable than Fuller and runs the entire tree. I agree more with the Samuel suggestion here - or maybe someone similar. I realize Brown's contract being done he's probably not going to be back. I'd rather replace him with someone with a similar skillset.

IIRC correctly the Bills opened the year with Kroft @ TE (or that was the plan anyway) - another injury-plagued dude - which I thought was a reasonable option. I was high on him a couple years ago but he as well just can't stay healthy. Knox I thought "overperformed" for his skilllset which is good on him but he is not a serious answer at the position imo. It makes no sense how having a QB this mobile does NOT justify having a dependable safety-valve TE. 

I'd prioritize it this way:

1. Receiving RB

2. TE

3. WR to replace Brown

On 1/25/2021 at 11:04 PM, SyNdicateZ said:

Id rather see the Bills get Curtis Samuel.

Fuller is a str8 line guy made of glass.

Fuller and Samuel are probably both too much $ for the Bills who are hard against the cap. Corey Davis would be a great option behind them as a nice blend of speed, potential, and cost.  If they're trying to upgrade multiple positions, then maybe they can coax some better performance out of Chris Conley with Allen as QB compared to Gardner Minshew and still have funds to upgrade TE as well. 

On 2/8/2021 at 6:49 PM, PisEdiRin said:

Couple notes:

1) Allen in 3 seasons has gotten 4 more MVP votes than R Wilson in 9 seasons.

2) Last night was a very positive development for Allen and the Bills. Do not crown Mahomes just yet as the Best QB of His Era. Instead of being down 2 rings, Allen is only down 1 ring. Josh Allen still has the next 15 years to overtake and surpass Mahomes. Given his exponential trajectory thus far, it's definitely possible. Last night kept them close. The story isn't over yet. After Brady retires, it's Mahomes vs Allen for 15 years. Long ways to go to decide who the better QB is long term. Also, the Chiefs showed they are vulnerable and could be beat if GM Beane adds the right pieces. That has to feel great if you're a Bills fan.

Mahomes is the best QB of his era and a SB loss doesn't change that. If anything Josh will statistically regress next season. 

On 2/10/2021 at 11:47 PM, Deuce1042 said:

Mahomes is the best QB of his era and a SB loss doesn't change that. If anything Josh will statistically regress next season. 

No he is not. Mahomes is 25 and Allen is 24. They've got the next 15 years to decide "Best QB of his Era". The story has yet to be written. Why are you crowning a 25 year old so early? What if 24 year old, upwards trending, Josh Allen wins more SBs than Mahomes when it's all said and done? Then in that case, Allen is the Best QB of his era.

Josh will go up from 46 total TDs in 2020 to about 55 total TDs in 2021. Josh will statistically improve in 2021 after the Bills upgrade TE, receiving RB, and John Brown after cutting him. He will not statistically regress. He will probably win League MVP in 2021. He finished 2nd in 2020. Josh will use the offseason to take his game to another level in 2021. Josh will outwork all of his peers during the 2021 offseason - he has the strongest work ethic in the NFL.

You guys need to stop doubting this guy. ALWAYS think "Best case scenario" with Josh Allen. STOP DOUBTING HIM. YOU WILL BE WRONG. You'd think the haters would have learned a lesson by now.

Edited by PisEdiRin
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, PisEdiRin said:

No he is not. Mahomes is 25 and Allen is 24. They've got the next 15 years to decide "Best QB of his Era". The story has yet to be written. Why are you crowning a 25 year old so early? What if 24 year old, upwards trending, Josh Allen wins more SBs than Mahomes when it's all said and done? Then in that case, Allen is the Best QB of his era.

Josh will go up from 46 total TDs in 2020 to about 55 total TDs in 2021. Josh will statistically improve in 2021 after the Bills upgrade TE, receiving RB, and John Brown after cutting him. He will not statistically regress. He will probably win League MVP in 2021. He finished 2nd in 2020. Josh will use the offseason to take his game to another level in 2021. Josh will outwork all of his peers during the 2021 offseason - he has the strongest work ethic in the NFL.

You guys need to stop doubting this guy. ALWAYS think "Best case scenario" with Josh Allen. STOP DOUBTING HIM. YOU WILL BE WRONG. You'd think the haters would have learned a lesson by now.

Saying that Josh Allen will statistically regress next season isn't a knock on Josh Allen as a player...it's the reality of the NFL. Mahomes even if he didn't injured would've thrown roughly 20 fewer TDs in 2019 as he did his MVP year. If anything the Bills will actually address their run game so he doesn't have to throw the ball as much. Mahomes is a better QB than Josh Allen, I have no idea how this is arguable to this point. 

14 minutes ago, Deuce1042 said:

Saying that Josh Allen will statistically regress next season isn't a knock on Josh Allen as a player...it's the reality of the NFL. Mahomes even if he didn't injured would've thrown roughly 20 fewer TDs in 2019 as he did his MVP year. If anything the Bills will actually address their run game so he doesn't have to throw the ball as much. Mahomes is a better QB than Josh Allen, I have no idea how this is arguable to this point. 

He's really not, though. Did you watch the Super Bowl?

Allen is the more talented player, the more physically gifted player, with a worse supporting cast across the board, and hasn't reached his ceiling. Mahomes already hit his ceiling - Allen is still growing exponentially. Allen has never played with a halfway competent Tight End; Mahomes has the #1 Tight End in the game.

Allen received more MVP votes (4) than Mahomes (2) this past season and was the flat out better player this past season.

Once again, the story has yet to be written. 25 year old Mahomes and 24 year old Allen have the next 15 years to decide who the "Best QB of his Era" is. My money is on the more talented player (Allen) coming out on top.

1 hour ago, PisEdiRin said:

Allen is the more talented player, the more physically gifted player, with a worse supporting cast across the board, and hasn't reached his ceiling. Mahomes already hit his ceiling - Allen is still growing exponentially. Allen has never played with a halfway competent Tight End; Mahomes has the #1 Tight End in the game.

Allen received more MVP votes (4) than Mahomes (2) this past season and was the flat out better player this past season.

Once again, the story has yet to be written. 25 year old Mahomes and 24 year old Allen have the next 15 years to decide who the "Best QB of his Era" is. My money is on the more talented player (Allen) coming out on top.

Why do we have to wait 15 years if we already know Mahomes has hit his ceiling?

Edited by BMcP

Okay. 

25 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Why do we have to wait 15 years if we already know Mahomes has hit his ceiling?

Don't bother. There are things Mahomes could improve at too so no he hasn't "hit his ceiling" as a player. But for whatever reason the assumption is that Josh Allen is going to grow infinitely. 

Edited by Deuce1042

In Josh Allen’s best season he still had less passing TDs and passing yards and more interceptions than pat mahomes. Hard to argue he’s better than pat. But I enjoy watching the fails 

1 hour ago, Stonej14 said:

In Josh Allen’s best season he still had less passing TDs and passing yards and more interceptions than pat mahomes. Hard to argue he’s better than pat. But I enjoy watching the fails 

Quoting "passing TDs" is a selective way of looking at stats. It devalues, well, ignores, Josh Allen's 8 rushing TDs in 2020. 1 rushing TD counts as the same # of points on the scoreboard as 1 passing TD. The one who is failing here, is yourself, for blatantly trying to sell Allen short on his Touchdown output.

Allen wasn't drafted to a 12-4 team. The Chiefs went 12-4 in 2016, then traded up in the 2017 draft for Mahomes. Mahomes was born (into the NFL) with a silver spoon in his mouth, essentially. In 2017 when Mahomes sat the entire rookie season, he watched as Alex Smith put up a 105 Passer Rating, 26/5 TD/INT ratio with Reid/Tyreek/Kelce. Then in 2018, Mahomes took over an already Super Bowl contending team without him. Everything was already set up for him. He was virtually guaranteed success in his situation. He has never faced any true adversity.

Quite the contrary with Allen. Allen inherited the 32nd ranked Offensive Supporting Cast as a rookie (even worse than Josh Rosen, because at least Rosen had decent WRs to work with). He has dealt with real adversity. His starting point was at the very very bottom. He has had to grind and outwork everyone to move up the ladder. A real underdog who has always been asked to do more with less. It took the Bills 3 years to field even a competent offensive roster around him. Rookie Herbert walks into the NFL with his own Stefon Diggs (Keenan Allen) from Day 1. Allen finally gets his do-it-all WR before Year 3. 

Allen plays a much grittier game when things aren't perfect. He's bigger and stronger. He's tougher. He's more talented. And the Bills have much more room to upgrade the surrounding pieces around Allen than the Chiefs do with Mahomes. I can find a better TE than Dawson Knox with my eyes closed. I can find a better Receiving RB than Devin Singletary with my eyes closed. 

Quoting "passing TDs" is a selective way of looking at stats. It devalues, well, ignores, Josh Allen's 8 rushing TDs in 2020. 1 rushing TD counts as the same # of points on the scoreboard as 1 passing TD. The one who is failing here, is yourself, for blatantly trying to sell Allen short on his Touchdown output.

Allen wasn't drafted to a 12-4 team. The Chiefs went 12-4 in 2016, then traded up in the 2017 draft for Mahomes. Mahomes was born (into the NFL) with a silver spoon in his mouth, essentially. In 2017 when Mahomes sat the entire rookie season, he watched as Alex Smith put up a 105 Passer Rating, 26/5 TD/INT ratio with Reid/Tyreek/Kelce. Then in 2018, Mahomes took over an already Super Bowl contending team without him. Everything was already set up for him. He was virtually guaranteed success in his situation. He has never faced any true adversity.

Quite the contrary with Allen. Allen inherited the 32nd ranked Offensive Supporting Cast as a rookie (even worse than Josh Rosen, because at least Rosen had decent WRs to work with). He has dealt with real adversity. His starting point was at the very very bottom. He has had to grind and outwork everyone to move up the ladder. A real underdog who has always been asked to do more with less. It took the Bills 3 years to field even a competent offensive roster around him. Rookie Herbert walks into the NFL with his own Stefon Diggs (Keenan Allen) from Day 1. Allen finally gets his do-it-all WR before Year 3. 

Allen plays a much grittier game when things aren't perfect. He's bigger and stronger. He's tougher. He's more talented. And the Bills have much more room to upgrade the surrounding pieces around Allen than the Chiefs do with Mahomes. I can find a better TE than Dawson Knox with my eyes closed. I can find a better Receiving RB than Devin Singletary with my eyes closed. 

You can try to spin it any way ya want but everyone with eyes knows mahomes is better.. except for you.. unless your blind

stats show it, wins show it, and the eye test shows it. He’s been better since the first moment he set foot on a pro field. And it’s fine Allen is still really really great just not mahomes great.  

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/25/2021 at 6:48 PM, PisEdiRin said:

Called it.

2 hours ago, PisEdiRin said:

Easily one of the biggest draft steals this year. Make sure to have John Brown in as many leagues as possible this year, there is a 100% chance he outproduces his ADP. People are sleeping on John Brown in 2020.

Called this too.

• Haha 3