NBC Sports Edge Forums

Josh Allen 2020 Outlook

8 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Interesting comp 
He does have the arm strength and mobility of a young Elway...

not sure he’ll ever be the passer john was.   

That is the best part... we get to armchair qb and see what happens on the field. 😀

• Like 1
  • Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I truly believe he is the most talented and uniquely gifted QB / Football Player in the entire history of the NFL. We've never seen a total package like this, ever; he's a unicorn. He can do everythin

Thank you for a championship,  my friend! 80 point comeback FTW with just Diggs and you!

Just be honest you haven't watched a single snap of him. These canned prewritten takes from 2 years ago are old.

Posted Images

51 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Comparing Josh Allen to Elway?  Oh wow.  Oh wow.

Then who is Blake Bortles, Sonny Jurgenson?

It’s more than a tad presumptuous to compare the two.  Elway was captain comeback,  hero of men and the 2 minute drill.  Top 5 all time qb... blah blah....

I’ll give @PizzaBeerFF this- Allen and The Duke of Denver are stylistically similar in many ways.  I can see what he means.  
Big, strong, powerful arms, mobile.  They also both struggle with accuracy in part because of the huge cannon arm...and a lot of time spent outside the pocket when plays break down.  Elway was sub 60% completion rating for his career.  Neither ever met a wr they couldn’t overthrow.  

I also see some Tebow in Josh Allen...so we’ll see what happens 🦈  

Edited by Impreza178
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Impreza178 said:

It’s more than a tad presumptuous to compare the two.  Elway was captain comeback,  hero of men and the 2 minute drill.  Top 5 all time qb... blah blah....

I’ll give @PizzaBeerFF this- Allen and The Duke of Denver are stylistically similar in many ways.  I can see what he means.  
Big, strong, powerful arms, mobile.  They also both struggle with accuracy in part because of the huge cannon arm...and a lot of time spent outside the pocket when plays break down.  Elway was sub 60% completion rating for his career.  

Well here is another comp... Luck. A cross breed between Rodgers and Cutler. Exceptional release and spiral and feathering. 

targeting both Allen and Luck late rounds. 

3 minutes ago, PizzaBeerFF said:

Well here is another comp... Luck. A cross breed between Rodgers and Cutler. Exceptional release and spiral and feathering. 

targeting both Allen and Luck late rounds. 

Well... Good... Luck with that, I guess?

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

Well... Good... Luck with that, I guess?

giphy.gif

So you highlight a guy that hasn’t achieved anything and bows out early. Has Luck ever done anything? 

I am saying Lock in Denver. 

2 minutes ago, PizzaBeerFF said:

You do realize even the great ones took time?

Elway played the first five games of his first season. Dan Marino played in game 3. Jim Kelly played his entire first season.

Just now, PizzaBeerFF said:

So you highlight a guy that hasn’t achieved anything and bows out early. Has Luck ever done anything? 

I am saying Lock in Denver. 

Ok, gotcha now. Stupid tablet autocorrect. But I bet you knew better. You bastid. 🤣

• Haha 2
2 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

Elway played the first five games of his first season. Dan Marino played in game 3. Jim Kelly played his entire first season.

Ok, so what is the point. I like Kelley too. But Kelley in my opinion was a lot more like Brady. Great coaching. 

56 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Comparing Josh Allen to Elway?  Oh wow.  Oh wow.

Then who is Blake Bortles, Sonny Jurgenson?

6 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Big, strong, powerful arms, mobile.  They also both struggle with accuracy in part because of the huge cannon arm...and a lot of time spent outside the pocket when plays break down.  Elway was sub 60% completion rating for his career.  Neither ever met a wr they couldn’t overthrow.  

I am one of those that hate the comparisons. Like I kid you not, QBs have been coming out of colleges and are being comparing to Brady, Brees, Payton Manning. Like wow really? The greatest QBs of all time are like dime a dozen to all these so called football experts. 

But I gotta agree with the comparison to Elway. To be fair, a few QBs have been compared to Elway. Remember Jake the Snake? Heck Cutler at one point in his career. 

But for Allen, I remember watching a game where Elway was scouting him from the sideline and even brought up the comparison himself and was super high on Allen. Maybe that was all smokes and mirrors because even though they needed a QB, they didn’t push all that hard to get Allen. 

Anyway, it is a bit premature, but he is definitely a real deal. If I can get him on my teams this season without paying preminum, I am all in. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, PizzaBeerFF said:

Ok, so what is the point. I like Kelley too. But Kelley in my opinion was a lot more like Brady. Great coaching. 

The point was to show off my general football knowledge, and to show I'm a brat ;) 

Seriously, I replied to "the greats take time", and you mention Elway, but it so happens I had actually looked up 3 minutes before that Elway didn't take time. And Marino, and Kelly, and Aikman. And Esiason. Essentially, every great QB who was drafted in the 80s played during his first season.

Which surprised me quite a lot, because I had in mind that it used to be quite normal that a QB had to sit back and learn for a couple seasons before being released into the wild. Which happened too, but then we get guys like Jim Harbaugh and Rich Gannon. No disrespect, but those are no Elways, so: no. The greats did not take time in the age of Elway.

Edited by Boudewijn
  • Like 2
7 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

The point was to show off my general football knowledge, and to show I'm a brat ;) 

Seriously, I replied to "the greats take time", and you mention Elway, but it so happens I had actually looked up 3 minutes before that Elway didn't take time. And Marino, and Kelly, and Aikman. And Esiason. Essentially, every great QB who was drafted in the 80s played during his first season.

Which surprised me quite a lot, because I had in mind that it used to be quite normal that a QB had to sit back and learn for a couple seasons before being released into the wild. Which happened too, but then we get guys like Jim Harbaugh and Rich Gannon. No disrespect, but those are no Elways, so: no. The greats did not take time in the age of Elway.

Well I take this as a very very insult! 

I respect you, you know that. 

• Like 1

Who is Josh Allen most similar to?

A.  Bart Starr

B.  Johnny Unitas

C.  Fran Tarkenton

D.  Drew Brees

E.  Joe Montana

F.  None of these, he's had two seasons of around .500 ball in the weakest division in the league.

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

A.  Bart Starr

B.  Johnny Unitas

C.  Fran Tarkenton

D.  Drew Brees

E.  Joe Montana

F.  None of these, he's had two seasons of around .500 ball in the weakest division in the league.

G.... you didn’t want to understand. 🤣

5 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

A.  Bart Starr

B.  Johnny Unitas

C.  Fran Tarkenton

D.  Drew Brees

E.  Joe Montana

My comp was Elway.

3 hours ago, PizzaBeerFF said:

G.... you didn’t want to understand. 🤣

I understood it just fine.  Elway is a HoF QB and one of the greatest of all time.  And Josh Allen is a middle-of-the-pack type with some physical gifts but not much else. 

I disagree.

• Haha 1
On 5/19/2020 at 1:37 AM, SharkSwimmer said:

A.  Bart Starr

B.  Johnny Unitas

C.  Fran Tarkenton

D.  Drew Brees

E.  Joe Montana

He doesn’t play in the NFC East

• Haha 1

I’ve seen a lot of people over hyping this guy and on the other hand, a lot of people undervaluing him in fantasy. Would need to recheck his adp but I would expect another year of high floor (thanks to rushing) and a higher ceiling thanks to diggs and his own development 

11 hours ago, apap414 said:

He doesn’t play in the NFC East

The NFC East has done pretty well v. New England in the Super Bowl.

/rimshot