NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Josh Allen 2020 Outlook

euphoriahbo

19 hours ago, Br0kenB said:

Diggs has one of the highest contested catch ratings in the entire NFL.

While there’s ample evidence to support your “story” ... I consider it unreliable. :) On what basis I’m unable to establish at this time.... 

Edited by markrc99
  • Haha 1

On 5/26/2020 at 1:35 PM, SharkSwimmer said:

And Diggs has experience trying to track down errant passes.  He played with Bilgewater and Keenum ferchrissakes.

Well, well, well... it is good you finally admit Allen reminds you of Elway and it is a great comparison.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2020 at 5:53 PM, Gohawks said:

Elway is the single most overrated player in NFL history.

Change my mind. 

This is the entire list of quarterbacks with as many or more Super Bowl starts than John Elway (who had 5).

1. Tom Brady

That's the entire list. 

Now I am not saying that makes Elway the second-best quarterback ever. But surely you have to give some credit to a guy who got his team to the big game more often than any other QB in the Super Bowl era.

If you go only by stats of older QB's and compare them to modern-day QB's, then one could argue that Kirk Cousins is better than Joe Montana. And that Jameis Winston is better than Brett Favre. But surely no fan in their right mind would actually make that claim...right?

Edited by Corleone

2 hours ago, Corleone said:

This is the entire list of quarterbacks with as many or more Super Bowl starts than John Elway (who had 5).

1. Tom Brady

That's the entire list. 

Now I am not saying that makes Elway the second-best quarterback ever. But surely you have to give some credit to a guy who got his team to the big game more often than any other QB in the Super Bowl era.

If you go only by stats of older QB's and compare them to modern-day QB's, then one could argue that Kirk Cousins is better than Joe Montana. And that Jameis Winston is better than Brett Favre. But surely no fan in their right mind would actually make that claim...right?

I addressed all these points. His stats were bad even for his own era for an entire decade. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Corleone said:

1. Tom Brady

That's the entire list. 

26 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

I addressed all these points. His stats were bad even for his own era for an entire decade. 

Not to mention the AFC was a joke for most of Elway's career and most of his starts resulted in getting his butt kicked

Edited by mocha4313

• 2 weeks later...

what do you think here ? In dynasty, it's a good choice before Stafford, Matt Ryan, Rodgers (don't like in dynasty), Mayfield, Burrow, Tua, Goff ...?

With Fromm's selection, Bills wants to play with Fromm in near future ?

Edited by Tomy
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Tomy said:

what do you think here ? In dynasty, it's a good choice before Stafford, Matt Ryan, Rodgers (don't like in dynasty), Mayfield, Burrow, Tua, Goff ...?

With Fromm's selection, Bills wants to play with Fromm in near future ?

What makes you say that?

I like Allen as a safe candidate to pair with someone late in the draft. His consistent rushing floor gives him alot of safe weeks. In super flex, he could be a solid QB2. I could see 30+ total touchdowns with all the off-season additions. Maybe the third year will allow the game to come slower and his passing can improve. 

13 hours ago, buckeyestilidie said:

I like Allen as a safe candidate to pair with someone late in the draft. His consistent rushing floor gives him alot of safe weeks. In super flex, he could be a solid QB2. I could see 30+ total touchdowns with all the off-season additions. Maybe the third year will allow the game to come slower and his passing can improve. 

He isn’t going late, currently round 7 and I expect that to creep up 

7th QB off the board based on ADP, check his schedule both 1-16 but also 14-16 and give me Wentz, Ryan, Brady, Brees, Stafford. In dynasty give me Wentz over Allen or wait a bit and grab Goff (Mcvay made cousins top 12 each season then made Goff top 12 2 of 3 with last season being close and a unreal TD rate with only 22 TD's which should regress to the mean)

• Haha 1

To me there are three QB tiers right now based on what i see in FFC drafts. 

1: Mahomes, LJax

2: Watson, Dak, Wilson, Murray

3: Ryan, Allen, Brady, Brees, Rodgers

My ideal draft is getting me whomever the 11th player of that group is, and i'm happy no matter whom it is from that 3rd tier.  Wentz and Stafford are next up and i think there's a dropoff from tier 3 above to those guys, plus whomever else is left

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • Bills WR Cole Beasley has observed Josh Allen is "starting to throw guys open a little bit" this summer. 

Stop the presses. “He’s playing more confident than ever," Beasley gushed. "He’s making throws that he wouldn’t have even tried to attempt last year." The Athletic's Joe Buscaglia has made the same observation, noting Allen might finally be progressing from a "see it and throw it" style of football. You, of course, don't need Rotoworld to tell you it's not exactly a great sign when a third-year first-rounder is just now beginning to add anticipation throws to his repertoire. Few players are more on the spot than Allen this season. Being drafted in the QB6-8 range in fantasy, Allen drafters are still counting on the "better in fantasy than real life" principle. 

SOURCE: The Athletic
    Aug 18, 2020, 5:32 PM ET

•  

52 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

Allen's schedule is generally brutal this year so I'm not drafting him in any leagues.

Sorry, but not drafting somebody purely based on the perceived strength of schedule? Not buying that.

The actual strength of teams is one of the hardest things to predict in the NFL, and some great seasons have been had off very tough actual schedules). If you don't like Allen great, don't get him, but if you think he is going to be a decent Fantasy QB, don't let his schedule stop you.

• Thanks 1

He plays 9 of the same opponents as last year (counting div opponents), and of those 9, Miami is the only one I think got better on D.  He gets an Adams-less Jets, and a Pats team that lost some guys.   DEN,TEN, and PIT all about the same to me.

Of the other 7, he gets the NFC West instead of the NFC East, and trade BAL, CLE, and CIN for KC, LAC, and LV.   SF stands out there but a couple mouth waterers in that group too.  

Welp, either Cole Beasley is full of s__t, or my boy JA is as inconsistent as ever. LOL...

• Bills QB Josh Allen struggled during Tuesday's practice, often staring down his receivers and having multiple passes broken up or intercepted. 

Allen wasn't "on the same page" with his wideouts, holding "onto the ball in the pocket, hoping for the expected routes to come open,"  according to The Athletic. Allen twice felt pressure and threw passes over the middle that were "nowhere close" to John Brown. It's a very different account than Cole Beasley saying this week that Allen was "throwing guys open." Allen's inaccuracy and erratic play don't really matter for fantasy purposes as long as he continues to flee to the pocket and pile up rushing yards and touchdowns. 

SOURCE: The Athletic
    Aug 19, 2020, 11:30 AM ET

•  

• Thanks 1

A player can be very good for fantasy and very bad in real life.  Jameis Winston, for example.

Josh Allen is pretty good at tucking and running when his first read is covered, but that does not work long term, and it does not even work in the short term against good teams.

Buffalo will not be a factor until they move on from this player and get a quarterback who is much more accurate and more situationally aware.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, CharlieWhitehurst said:

Josh Allen is my favorite trade right now.

Dynasty: Traded him and my pick 1.4 for a 1.6 and DJ Chark. Reached for Burrow cause I had 2 early 2nd round picks (got Moss and Vaughn - we only start 1 rb). 

I think I killed it in this one. The guy with 1.4 got Swift. What ya'll think?

prolly better for ast coach forum is my thought 

• Like 1

As stated, I don't have Allen in any leagues that I'm in because he's currently the #7 qb off the board and I would rather wait and take guys like Wentz, Stafford, Roethlisberger etc later as starting options.  The fact that he runs often and also runs the ball in the red zone is a plus but it looks like he's still a terrible passer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1