NBC Sports Edge Forums

Josh Allen 2020 Outlook

3 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

A player can be very good for fantasy and very bad in real life.  Jameis Winston, for example.

Josh Allen is pretty good at tucking and running when his first read is covered, but that does not work long term, and it does not even work in the short term against good teams.

Buffalo will not be a factor until they move on from this player and get a quarterback who is much more accurate and more situationally aware.

He's great in redraft but I wouldnt even consider him in dynasty.

• Haha 1
  • Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I truly believe he is the most talented and uniquely gifted QB / Football Player in the entire history of the NFL. We've never seen a total package like this, ever; he's a unicorn. He can do everythin

Thank you for a championship,  my friend! 80 point comeback FTW with just Diggs and you!

Just be honest you haven't watched a single snap of him. These canned prewritten takes from 2 years ago are old.

Posted Images

Josh Allen is one of those players where the people who like him think he's way better than he really is, and the people who don't think he's way worse than he really is. Allen's not a bad QB, he's an average QB who is very talented and athletic. 

• Haha 1
On 3/24/2020 at 3:14 PM, Lamont Sanford said:

Seems like just yesterday many were claiming Lamar Jackson’s accuracy issues would prevent him from ever being a quality starting QB, never mind elite. 

Josh Allen may not have LJ’s blazing speed, but guess which QB led the NFL in rushing TDs in 2019. Allen, with 9. (to LJ’s 7) And now Allen has Diggs and John Brown downfield, which should boost his passing numbers, perhaps significantly if he also matures as a QB. 

I certainly wouldn’t expect elite passing numbers from Allen, but above average passing numbers + great rushing numbers might be enough for a nice, consistent weekly floor and a top 5 finish.

There is no functional difference between running for a TD in the red zone and passing for one. Lamar is a significantly better runner of the football than Josh Allen. (He's a better passer than him too). 

• Haha 1

Diggs does not like it when he gets too few targets or poor quality targets.  He is going to complain on the sidelines a bunch this year.  And teams will copy BB's defensive approach and force Allen to beat them with his arm, not his legs.  I see a downward trend with this player.

• Haha 2
31 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Diggs does not like it when he gets too few targets or poor quality targets.  He is going to complain on the sidelines a bunch this year.  And teams will copy BB's defensive approach and force Allen to beat them with his arm, not his legs.  I see a downward trend with this player.

young Elway can launch a 60 yard dime on the run so that won’t work 

3 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

young Elway can launch a 60 yard dime on the run so that won’t work 

But...it worked last year...

1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Agreed, not touching diggs at all 

• Haha 1

Speaking earlier this week, Josh Allen said he hopes to run less often this season. 

“My mindset this year is a little different,” Allen said. “I’m going to try to get the ball into my playmakers’ hands and let them make some plays, because they’re a lot quicker and shiftier than I am. But when my number is called, I’ll step up to the plate for sure.” Allen isn't suddenly going to abandon one of his signature skills, but he is correct that he has to start creating more big plays in the passing game. 500 remains a reasonable over/under for his rushing yardage. 

He pretty much has to say that. What's he going to say, "hell yeah I'm going to still run a lot. It makes me have to throw less." I think the only way he's running less is if he actually takes a step forward passing. The rushing stats definitely give him a nice fantasy floor.

I drafted Allen in a couple of my leagues because he was the best available qb when I picked and needed one but made sure to back him up with another decent option like Stafford and Daniel Jones later in the draft because I don't like his schedule overall this year and it remains to be seen how much if at all, he has improved as a passer.

• Haha 1

The ideal scenario, at least for his fantasy value, is he does scramble less because his passing improves but they still design plays for him especially near the GL. He has #1 overall QB potential if that happens. He always seems to be teetering on faceplant potential too because his passing can be so shakey

Josh Allen may be the worst QB in the NFL but the Bills do not care. He's going to be fantasy gold for at least 1 or 2 more seasons before he blows out a knee and is replaced by Fitzmagic mid season.

• Haha 4
On 8/26/2020 at 7:30 PM, dsrich said:

Top 8 season guaranteed. 

Scrimmage is over. 
Josh Allen was fantastic. Total command of offense.
Started 16 of 20, 162 yds, TD, rush TD. Bills TD 1st 3 drives.
Did have deflected INT (mostly not his fault).
Finished 32-43, 312 yds (YEP!), 2 TDs, rush TD

And that's just in 2.5 quarters.
#Bills

Lovely ——-yes, we talkin bout practice 

• Thanks 1

People forget how volatile QB are outside of Top 5.

He doesn't need to master every domain of offense, his legs thrust him into Top 9 convo alone. 

Yea, he's not perfect and he may not improve drastically, but the Bills have a monstrous D, they are committed to him (for now at QB), he is young enough to withstand the general physical of toll playing like he plays... and that division is WIDE open. 

Mahomes and Jackson have really skewed expectations for galactic two-way QB -- Allen will do just fine while holding Top 3 potential with relative ease. 

8 hours ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

Scrimmage is over. 
Josh Allen was fantastic. Total command of offense.
Started 16 of 20, 162 yds, TD, rush TD. Bills TD 1st 3 drives.
Did have deflected INT (mostly not his fault).
Finished 32-43, 312 yds (YEP!), 2 TDs, rush TD

And that's just in 2.5 quarters.
#Bills

Lovely ——-yes, we talkin bout practice 

The Bills have a solid defense too.

https://gfycat.com/boringhighlevelcommabutterfly

You've heard of stacking QB's with their WR's, check out how Lamar and Ingram did last year and try a crazy Allen, Moss, Sinlgetary stack!!!

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, turner46 said:

The Bills have a solid defense too.

https://gfycat.com/boringhighlevelcommabutterfly

You've heard of stacking QB's with their WR's, check out how Lamar and Ingram did last year and try a crazy Allen, Moss, Sinlgetary stack!!!

All the way to 7th place in your fantasy league...

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

All the way to 7th place in your fantasy league...

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/DaboBr0.htm

With that man calling the plays this no name brand Ravens rushing attack could pay off large for minimal cost. If it fails and is a homeless version of the Ravens the cost of Allen (qb 7-12), Singletary (Rb 25-30 ish) and Moss (Rb 40-50 ish) won't sink you.

Continuity could be big this year as the Bills return all 5 starters on the oline.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, jay2491 said:

For what its worth Vegas set the over under at 525 rushing yards and 7.5 touchdowns. Pretty optimistic  totals, if he's anywhere near that he will be a good pick. 

I will say this Vegas is almost never wrong, those bastards lol, well at least when it comes to point spreads & O/U .