Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ezekiel Elliott 2020 Outlook


Recommended Posts

Very little upside this year. Hasn't had more than 10 1/2 ppr points since Dak injury. Gilbert showed promise but the offense just can't reliably move the ball consistently/score points. RB2 numbers rest of season would be terrific outcome, even though that is doubtful.

As for next year, there's a chance he returns to elite status. That will require a completely healthy Dak and offensive line, both uncertain and quite possibly a Mike McCarthy departure, so that Zeke has favorable game scripts and the Cowboys aren't always playing from behind like I'd expect them to under McCarthy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

DiNucci versus the Steelers defense  

Why would Zeke quit? When has he ever did that? Such a weird take

Posted Images

He's been outscored by JD McKissic in the last 4 weeks and McKissic played one fewer game. Cowboys offense is having a very tough time moving the ball let alone scoring touchdowns and it destroys Zekes value. He's an uncomfortable FLEX at this point until something changes in that offense.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

How bad a coach is McCarthy? I get they lost their QB. I get they lost a few olinemen. But they still have enough talented lineman and weapons on offense to have a solid offense. This team looks like a worse offensive team than WFT and they have NOBODY except McLaurin.

Edited by yanksman
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, yanksman said:

How bad a coach is McCarthy? I get they lost their QB. I get they lost a few olinemen. But they still have enough talented lineman and weapons on offense to have a solid offense. This team looks like a worse offensive team than WFT and they have NOBODY except McLaurin.

Near the bottom of the league bad. Road the coattails of a generational qb for many years that masked his many coaching deficiencies. Ultimately got exposed for what he is. That he got the Dallas job was shocking. He will continue to be further exposed there and will continue to offer up platitudes after losses about continuing to compete and get better.

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, yanksman said:

How bad a coach is McCarthy? I get they lost their QB. I get they lost a few olinemen. But they still have enough talented lineman and weapons on offense to have a solid offense. This team looks like a worse offensive team than WFT and they have NOBODY except McLaurin.

 

31 minutes ago, timexsocialclub said:

Near the bottom of the league bad. Road the coattails of a generational qb for many years that masked his many coaching deficiencies. Ultimately got exposed for what he is. That he got the Dallas job was shocking. He will continue to be further exposed there and will continue to offer up platitudes after losses about continuing to compete and get better.

When asked if there's confidence in coach Mike McCarthy returning in 2021, Cowboys EVP Stephen Jones responded "absolutely" and "unequivocal."

The fact anyone is asking the question tells you exactly how Dallas' season is going. The Cowboys lost its heartbeat, Dak Prescott, in Week 5 and have since averaged 10.2 points per game with Andy Dalton, Ben DiNucci, and Garrett Gilbert under center. Even so, Dallas (2-7) remains just two games back from the Eagles (3-4-1) for the division lead despite having the league's second-lowest point differential (-86) behind the Jets (-144). McCarthy should certainly shoulder some of the blame, but the issues with this organization still start at the very top.

 

Dynasty outlook: BLEAK.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, yanksman said:

How bad a coach is McCarthy? I get they lost their QB. I get they lost a few olinemen. But they still have enough talented lineman and weapons on offense to have a solid offense. This team looks like a worse offensive team than WFT and they have NOBODY except McLaurin.

Hey, that Tony Gibson feller is pretty good! They don't let him catch passes though even though he was a WR in college. :(

Link to post
Share on other sites

How are we feeling about Zeke long term.  This year is a lost year for Dallas as a whole.  They are the football equivalent of 2020.  The way I see it, Dak gets healthy for next year(they have to resign him right?).  McCarthy and company are gone.  All is forgotten, it's like it never happened and we can go back to our regularly scheduled programming. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, GottaGetTheWin said:

How are we feeling about Zeke long term.  This year is a lost year for Dallas as a whole.  They are the football equivalent of 2020.  The way I see it, Dak gets healthy for next year(they have to resign him right?).  McCarthy and company are gone.  All is forgotten, it's like it never happened and we can go back to our regularly scheduled programming. 

I know about his contract, but many here in Dallas... Thinks this will be his last year as a Cowboy

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Power-O said:

i think he is going to bounce back after the bye...vikings is a good place to start...the qb they had this week wasnt bad against the steelers and dalton should be back by then

 

I don't see it.  He's been horrible since Dak went out and defense are just stacking up to stop him.  I think that's why Pollard has had more success in spots because defenses just don't care about trying to shut him down.  But when Zeke is in, it's 8 man boxes.

Mix that with replacement players playing along most of the OL, and it doesn't look good to me.

I have mixed feelings on Zeke.  He was playing pretty well early in the year mostly due the TD opportunities he was getting and he was mostly pretty efficient with his touches. 

But by the same token, he almost never seems to break any big plays over the past couple seasons.  Just doesn't have that explosiveness he had in college and even his first year with the Cowboys.  He's runs hard and does well in the 10 yard and under range, but that's about it.  I think a big part of it is lacking the quickness to make the guys at the second level miss anymore.

I could see the Cowboys moving on sooner rather than later if there is a way to do it and be financially responsible....especially if they need to shell out big bucks for Dak.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, tts42572 said:

 

I don't see it.  He's been horrible since Dak went out and defense are just stacking up to stop him.  I think that's why Pollard has had more success in spots because defenses just don't care about trying to shut him down.  But when Zeke is in, it's 8 man boxes.

Mix that with replacement players playing along most of the OL, and it doesn't look good to me.

I have mixed feelings on Zeke.  He was playing pretty well early in the year mostly due the TD opportunities he was getting and he was mostly pretty efficient with his touches. 

But by the same token, he almost never seems to break any big plays over the past couple seasons.  Just doesn't have that explosiveness he had in college and even his first year with the Cowboys.  He's runs hard and does well in the 10 yard and under range, but that's about it.  I think a big part of it is lacking the quickness to make the guys at the second level miss anymore.

I could see the Cowboys moving on sooner rather than later if there is a way to do it and be financially responsible....especially if they need to shell out big bucks for Dak.

 

he isnt a dalvin cook and never has been...im talking about an improvement at the qb position...any improvement and they are fine...he is involved in the pass an run game...he should be ok

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GottaGetTheWin said:

How are we feeling about Zeke long term.  This year is a lost year for Dallas as a whole.  They are the football equivalent of 2020.  The way I see it, Dak gets healthy for next year(they have to resign him right?).  McCarthy and company are gone.  All is forgotten, it's like it never happened and we can go back to our regularly scheduled programming. 

I bought in a keeper, seems like an easy bet for top 5 status in 2021 and probably still top 10 in 2022, he's having an off season but who on the cowboys isn't

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 9amest said:

I bought in a keeper, seems like an easy bet for top 5 status in 2021 and probably still top 10 in 2022, he's having an off season but who on the cowboys isn't

I'm with you on this one.  I just bought too in a dynasty thinking that next year they will still have a top offense with a healthy QB and a new coaching staff.   Let's see though....

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2020 at 4:43 PM, timexsocialclub said:

 

When asked if there's confidence in coach Mike McCarthy returning in 2021, Cowboys EVP Stephen Jones responded "absolutely" and "unequivocal."

The fact anyone is asking the question tells you exactly how Dallas' season is going. The Cowboys lost its heartbeat, Dak Prescott, in Week 5 and have since averaged 10.2 points per game with Andy Dalton, Ben DiNucci, and Garrett Gilbert under center. Even so, Dallas (2-7) remains just two games back from the Eagles (3-4-1) for the division lead despite having the league's second-lowest point differential (-86) behind the Jets (-144). McCarthy should certainly shoulder some of the blame, but the issues with this organization still start at the very top.

 

Dynasty outlook: BLEAK.

 

Please don't believe any of this.  What's Jones going to say?  "No, we realize the guy sucks and our team has quit on him, but we are going to let him finish out the season anyway and then after the year him and his entire staff will be gone and we will start fresh."

 

Of course he is going to talk him up.  If he wasn't then he would already be gone.  There is 0.1% chance that he is back next year and the only reason I give it the .1 is in case they realy believe that Dak's injury was the problem. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GottaGetTheWin said:

How are we feeling about Zeke long term.  This year is a lost year for Dallas as a whole.  They are the football equivalent of 2020.  The way I see it, Dak gets healthy for next year(they have to resign him right?).  McCarthy and company are gone.  All is forgotten, it's like it never happened and we can go back to our regularly scheduled programming. 

I'm concerned about his lack of breakaway ability. I know he got bigger to hold up, but without the long run ceiling I think we should lower the upside.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If McCarthy is back, Zeke's ceiling is significantly lower than it otherwise would be with a halfway competent coach. That said, even with a new coach and successful offensive system, as an earlier poster alluded to, I can't remember the last time Zeke broke a long run and took it to the house like he did in college or his first year with the Cowboys. Dude used to be a track star and he's nothing resembling that now. While he might never have been Dalvin Cook he certainly had a lot more Cook in him.

 

This honestly doesn't even look like Zeke lined up in the backfield.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm6dCrr68rs

Edited by timexsocialclub
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, GottaGetTheWin said:

 

Please don't believe any of this.  What's Jones going to say?  "No, we realize the guy sucks and our team has quit on him, but we are going to let him finish out the season anyway and then after the year him and his entire staff will be gone and we will start fresh."

 

Of course he is going to talk him up.  If he wasn't then he would already be gone.  There is 0.1% chance that he is back next year and the only reason I give it the .1 is in case they realy believe that Dak's injury was the problem. 

Why not just fire him now then?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, timexsocialclub said:

Why not just fire him now then?

 

Lack of a suitable replacement?  What would be the point?  Whoever they bring in in the "Interim" would be a lame duck coach as it is.  Just let McCarthy finish it out and move on. 

Edited by GottaGetTheWin
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, GottaGetTheWin said:

 

Lack of a suitable replacement?  What would be the point?  Whoever they bring in in the "Interim" would be a lame duck coach as it is.  Just let McCarthy finish it out and move on. 

For the same reason any other coach gets fired mid-season a la Bill O'Brien, Dan Quinn, etc.: because he's not good and they still have a chance to win the division. The Texans and Falcons have gone something like a combined 5-2 since firing their respective coaches this year. Maybe the same could happen in Dallas since many players are already unimpressed with McCarthy according to reports and they could make a playoff push.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, GottaGetTheWin said:

 

Please don't believe any of this.  What's Jones going to say?  "No, we realize the guy sucks and our team has quit on him, but we are going to let him finish out the season anyway and then after the year him and his entire staff will be gone and we will start fresh."

 

Of course he is going to talk him up.  If he wasn't then he would already be gone.  There is 0.1% chance that he is back next year and the only reason I give it the .1 is in case they realy believe that Dak's injury was the problem. 

 

I'll bet 1K on this (and I'm not a rich man)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Last week to trade in yahoo, not sure who* you can get at this point, but worth a try. Whole team’s a dumpster fire obviously. Trade..

Edited by mjb
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...