NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ezekiel Elliott 2020 Outlook

13 minutes ago, BlakeP42 said:

There is not doubt McCarthy is having a terrible season as HC in Dallas so far.  Im not sure I would have ever thought i'd say this, but so far, its possible his in game management is WORSE then J.Garrett's was. Pretty wild to consider.  With each passing game i watch under MM, by the end of it I simply feel like he just doesn't fit what i think Dallas needs.

BUT! Keep in mind that this has still been Kellon Moore behind the wheel of this offense. He's taken some MM advice, tweeked a few formations, etc; but no doubt this offense is running through Kellon's hands.  

As you mentioned, in the early part of the season with Dak, this offense was cooking and Zeke's targets were close to where FF owners would want them.  Then, the bottom simply fell out with Dak and this OL and they've been chasing their tail ever since.  Check down throws, especially under early pressure is honestly not an easy task for a QB.  You can also go right down the line after Dak went down and see dallas faced: AZ, WASH, PHI, PITT, MIN, WASH.  Some tough D fronts there honestly that have their ears pinned back from the first snap.  Given the state of the OL being absolutely hammered to the tune of rotating Martin to tackle, its been a true up hill battle for Kellon, the QB, and Zeke each step of the way.  

Now that all being said, go watch some Zeke film from previous years, its clear his burst has lost a step and at times i think even Pollard shows more juice to get to the second level.  Zeke is still running hard and moving the pile for hard yards, but right now he seems to be in the "take whats given" category.   I do think Kellon could do better utilizing Zeke in space, such as he did with the Zeke split out wide TD in a bunch formation vs MINN.  But overall I'm can't sit here and crucify MM or even Kellon for Zeke's woe's.  Esp in a crazy covid year with a changing staff and an OL that is running out players we shouldn't even see in week 4 of the preseason LOL. 

Fair enough.  I think all parts are playing a role in where Zeke is currently at, to me MM is the biggest followed by the OL but that's just my opinion.  

I have watched most of the Dallas games this year and since Dak went down they have not thrown ONE designed screen to Zeke, not a single F***** one.  That's one of the easiest throws you can make and is THE counter against good, pressure heavy defensive fronts.  Dalton was able to get Mixon 50+ targets a year, don't see why he wouldn't be able to do that now. 

It may be Kellon making the play calls but its on MM to run the team and part of that is interjecting into Kellons play calling and get the ball to the guy you just cut a 90 Million dollar check too.  

Everyone keeps saying he has lost a step, that may be true (especially now that he got paid) but he isn't a shifty make something out of nothing back.  He is a one cut, hit the hole, lower the boom, rinse and repeat style runner.  He is averaging 16.4 attempts per game this year, he was @ 18.8 in 2019 & 20.26 in 2018.  That could be attributed to DAL sucking A** this year but he's proven the last 3 years that if you get him the volume he's gunna eat. 

Just my 2 cents, I hope he returns to form next year with DAK, ill snag him in round 2 and pray. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

DiNucci versus the Steelers defense  

Why would Zeke quit? When has he ever did that? Such a weird take

Posted Images

Better than I expected vs. Baltimore but still meh. 

I guess I’m going to be forced to play him against Cincy next week in the playoffs. Bengals are having their own troubles with injuries and moving the ball. Dalton revenge game also. I just hope it’s not a trap.

9 minutes ago, yanksman said:

Not sure about next week. Great matchup but Pollard is on the field way too much and I can also see Dalton having a big game.

I didn’t like seeing Pollard as much as I did on the field, but at the end of the day, Zeke still did have 22 touches. When they were on the 1 yard line, it was Zeke who got three straight rushes (unfortunately he couldn’t punch it in)

I have to assume he’s good for a touchdown next week. At least that’s what I hope.

Not worried about Pollard at all.  His first six runs went for 7 yards.  He looked great on special teams and that's where he will stay (and spell Zeke)

I thought this game was encouraging.  Dalton actually looked decent against a tough pass defense, which led to decent output from Zeke.  Much improved play from Dalton and probably his best game yet considering the opponent.    

Dalton has had a tough, tough schedule so far...WAS (3rd ranked pass D per DVOA, 10th vs. rush), MIN (10th, 17th), WAS (3rd, 10th), BAL (9th, 4th).

It's no mystery why Zeke's fantasy output has been suffering.  Their QB play has been abysmal, but hopefully Dalton can get rolling now that their schedule opens up.

Up next:

CIN (28th pass defense, 21st rush)

SF (16th, 8th)

PHI (24th, 11th)

All we Zeke owners need Dalton to do is sustain drives, which he should be able to do these next three games.  As long as the Cowboys aren't getting blown out, Zeke will get around 20 touches.  Locked in RB1 treatment based on volume alone.  Jerry Jones didn't make Zeke the second highest paid running back in the NFL to let Andy friggin Dalton air it out and take the ball out of Zeke's hands.  

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Cleanface said:

I’d take that Zeke ROS in a second.  Decent points even wo a TD, and TD attempts every game.  14-20 every game?  Yes please. 

Fr, not sure how people are complaining about 13 points in that matchup, also passing game looks seem to be back on the upswing

Yea I mean had to be lowered on all skill players once Dak went out and the offense tanked. If Zeke can push 20 touches, cowboys dont get completely destroyed, and get red zone work I would say its a win for us. Hopefully he can fall into the end zone a few times these next couple weeks.

5 minutes ago, Travis Burten said:

No Burrows either for CIN. Should be a competitive game, and I can see 20-100-1 and maybe 3 catches 15yds. 

with Burrow, it wouldve been competitive

I dont see cincy winning this. they're currently the same 2-14 team from last year

Edited by Chippa
On 12/2/2020 at 12:24 PM, Flynfiesta6 said:

Fair enough.  I think all parts are playing a role in where Zeke is currently at, to me MM is the biggest followed by the OL but that's just my opinion.  

I have watched most of the Dallas games this year and since Dak went down they have not thrown ONE designed screen to Zeke, not a single F***** one.  That's one of the easiest throws you can make and is THE counter against good, pressure heavy defensive fronts.  Dalton was able to get Mixon 50+ targets a year, don't see why he wouldn't be able to do that now. 

It may be Kellon making the play calls but its on MM to run the team and part of that is interjecting into Kellons play calling and get the ball to the guy you just cut a 90 Million dollar check too.  

Everyone keeps saying he has lost a step, that may be true (especially now that he got paid) but he isn't a shifty make something out of nothing back.  He is a one cut, hit the hole, lower the boom, rinse and repeat style runner.  He is averaging 16.4 attempts per game this year, he was @ 18.8 in 2019 & 20.26 in 2018.  That could be attributed to DAL sucking A** this year but he's proven the last 3 years that if you get him the volume he's gunna eat. 

Just my 2 cents, I hope he returns to form next year with DAK, ill snag him in round 2 and pray. 

Holy S*** Guys!  Did you see it last night, a screen play for Zeke!  Guess what... it went for 12 yards! Would you believe that's his second longest pass play since the week DAK went down???

Man, who would have thought that a screen play would be so efficient??? Maybe they should do like 3-4 of those a game, might help take some heat of the Red Rocket! 

• Haha 1

Probably nothing major, but entering into the playoffs it's good to have Pollard just in case. At this point in the year it's worth dumping low upside players and handcuffing your studs...better to be safe than sorry.

Edited by GoPackGo23

Another reporter tweeting out the same quote. It is interesting that his injury was the only one not listed on the pregame injury report on Tuesday, but that's pure speculation. As others have said, nobody's thrilled about Zeke at this point compared to preseason expectations, but definitely grab Pollard to plug and play him just in case Zeke ends up sitting this game out. 

The Cowboys should be dreaming of a high draft pick in this draft.  Right now they are in a tie for the 4th overall pick.  They have one of the worst defenses in the history of the NFL.  They have no quarterback.

Is that a team that should push hard on a star player with a "calf injury?"

• Like 1
1 hour ago, GoPackGo23 said:

Probably nothing major, but entering into the playoffs it's good to have Pollard just in case. At this point in the year it's worth dumping low upside players and handcuffing your studs...better to be safe than sorry.

Stud?

• Haha 2
45 minutes ago, claig34 said:
As others have said, nobody's thrilled about Zeke at this point compared to preseason expectations, but definitely grab Pollard to plug and play him just in case Zeke ends up sitting this game out. 

Pollard might suck if he gets a start, but one advantage he could have is not being in a 70/30 split. Pollard may end up getting 80-90% of the touches. Oh and he looks 10x better than Zeke out there