NBC Sports Edge Forums

Deshaun Watson 2020 Outlook

As the team owner of the Texans you literally just have one job...keep Watson happy.  You find a QB like him and you're comfortable and competitive for the next 15-20 years the way QB's longevity is these days.  After the D-Hop debacle you'd think they'd wisen up.

• Like 1
  • Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Please stop behaving like a 16yo, even if you are. This is a forum mostly populated by adults, so let's have an adult discussion. Points are not "won" by posting a link. Maybe you have a point, m

Posted Images

35 minutes ago, kdko said:

As the team owner of the Texans you literally just have one job...keep Watson happy.  You find a QB like him and you're comfortable and competitive for the next 15-20 years the way QB's longevity is these days.  After the D-Hop debacle you'd think they'd wisen up.

Totally agree, except BoB happened, and they don't have any toys to keep Watson happy (or protect him). 

2021 is another lost year for the Texans - instead they could flog Watson for some high picks and start from scratch rather than have a grumpy QB get sacked 45 times in another losing season.

Not saying it's the best scenario, just saying it could happen, and if they get the right price, I'd certainly think about it.

9 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

Totally agree, except BoB happened, and they don't have any toys to keep Watson happy (or protect him). 

2021 is another lost year for the Texans - instead they could flog Watson for some high picks and start from scratch rather than have a grumpy QB get sacked 45 times in another losing season.

Not saying it's the best scenario, just saying it could happen, and if they get the right price, I'd certainly think about it.

Crazy that they lucked out on hitting a home run by drafting on him, and sour the relationship this early.  They could shop him for picks, but good luck finding another QB that easily through the draft amidst rebuilding.  Just a terrible scenario and it's sad for Texans fans

• Like 1
On 1/9/2021 at 1:13 AM, Boudewijn said:

Deshaun is 25 and signed. You build around him, not trade him.

There is 0.00 chance Deshaun is traded; as much as I would like it to happen

4 hours ago, dmb3684 said:

Definitely more then 0% chance. This team has a ton of holes and little assets. 

Texans don't have cap space, don't have a first round pick.

If they ship out the two highest paid players on the team (Watt and Tunsil), they'll lose their best defensive player (who is tied for team leader in interceptions. he's a lineman, that says a lot about the secondary) and starting left tackle.

For his long term financial security, Watson made the right choice. For a chance at winning a Super Bowl, he shouldn't have re-signed.

1 hour ago, fachowski said:

Texans don't have cap space

That's actually a really good point. Watson's contract is structured in such a way that if they trade him, they actually get hit more:

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/top-deshaun-watson-landing-spots-if-traded-2021/

---------

Deshaun Watson signed a four-year, $156 million contract extension in September. At an average of $39 million per year, he’s the second-highest paid quarterback in the NFL. While that number is undoubtedly high, the salary cap situation can be managed.

The Texans would still be on the hook for $21.6 million in 2021, even if Watson isn’t on the team. With Watson on the team, their cap hit is set to be around $16 million, so trading Watson would add around $5.6 million in dead money to the 2021 salary cap. However, it would save the team significant money in 2022, 2023, and beyond.

---------

And they already have _negative_ cap space. That's so hilariously bad it's awesome.

2 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

And that's how Tua's career dies.....

Good trade for Watson and the Dolphins though

Dolphin's could trade Tua, the 18th pick, their two 2nd rounders, and a player for Watson and Watt (because this dude is at the tail end of his career and deserves to play for a contender)

7 minutes ago, sSektor said:

There's no way Houston is dumb enough to trade away their borderline elite franchise QB instead of fixing the relationship right?

That's the thing though, the only way to fix the relationship is by getting better players. But they don't have any cap flexibility and draft picks to make upgrades.

Mort added that Watson's anger over the team's insensitivity to social justice issues includes their hiring practices and not even giving Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy an interview. Watson has reportedly gone to bat for Bieniemy within the Houston organization and Bieniemy's record should speak for itself. He has been the Chiefs OC in all three of Patrick Mahomes' three seasons as a starter and is serving under arguably the greatest offensive-minded head coach in the NFL, Andy Reid. Houston's refusal to interview him is questionable at best.

This looks like its going to be a sh*tstorm

Edited by fachowski
10 hours ago, dmb3684 said:

5 minutes ago, sSektor said:

There's no way Houston is dumb enough to trade away their borderline elite franchise QB instead of fixing the relationship right?

Stranger things have happened.

4 minutes ago, sSektor said:

Check above, I don't consider that necessarily dumb. At some point you have to admit as an organisation that BoB ruined your future (to the seventh son, almost), and take your loss.

They don't have cash. They don't have picks. They don't have a team.

If you can trade Watson and to some extent fix that, is that dumber than holding on to a guy who's too expensive and too good for your team? By the time you can afford an online you may even have ruined his health.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if they would have been able to re-sign Watson if they re-signed Hopkins. If that was the case, I see the logic in trading Hopkins. Its just that O'Brien lowballed himself by not getting enough in return.

6 minutes ago, fachowski said:

I'm not sure if they would have been able to re-sign Watson if they re-signed Hopkins. If that was the case, I see the logic in trading Hopkins. Its just that O'Brien lowballed himself by not getting enough in return.

They could have had both easily. 

7 minutes ago, fachowski said:

No.

1 minute ago, fachowski said:

Then O'Brien really was just a clueless knucklehead

Well that's a given. But also, no, they couldn't. Just look at the hole they're already in with cap space.

Thinking about the Watson to Tua trade. It would be a haul for the Dolphins if they get Watson, draft Sewell at 3, shore up their defensive depth with the rest of the picks, and sign a top WR like Godwin or Robinson. Watson's fantasy numbers could be historic.

The Texans could easily be dumb enough to trade away Watson.  Watson is concerned about social justice and racial equality and the Texan's organization is not at all concerned about those things, to put it mildly.

If you have read up on the Easterby stuff, Easterby was likely a big reason Hopkins got traded away, partly because Hopkins was in the NFL's BLM video and the like.

Some smart team should take advantage of the Texan's deep dysfunction, and come around with picks and players to relieve them of their star quarterback.

Edited by SharkSwimmer