NBC Sports Edge Forums

Deshaun Watson 2020 Outlook

5 minutes ago, cashvillesent said:

I like Watson but lets not forget.... Texans started 0-4 because of Watson horrible play to begin the season.

Hes a good QB but there is no way you throw so many trade assets to get him.

He led the league in passing yards and threw 33 TDs to 7 picks. He did this under the inept BOB and an interim coach with very little talent around him. The team had no idea how to use his legs, and the playcalling was not exciting, for the most part. He's pretty clearly a top 5, if not top 3, QB in the league.

As for the Miami rumors, I don't love it for him. That team still needs an alpha WR.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Please stop behaving like a 16yo, even if you are. This is a forum mostly populated by adults, so let's have an adult discussion. Points are not "won" by posting a link. Maybe you have a point, m

Posted Images

I thought Watson was trash, Tannehill > Watson.  Thanks ! 

On 12/29/2020 at 9:22 PM, cashvillesent said:

Yeah eye test? Lmao. Eye test shows that Tannehill has made tight window passes, even on drop backs he has been one of the best QBs since taking over for Tennessee last year. Watson is garbage lmao. 

42 minutes ago, cashvillesent said:

I like Watson but lets not forget.... Texans started 0-4 because of Watson horrible play to begin the season.

Hes a good QB but there is no way you throw so many trade assets to get him.

Edited by CroNY

I was thinking the Dolphins could easily build around him through free agency even if they're dumping a lot of firsts to make this work, but they have surprisingly low cap space next season for what I thought was a younger roster.   They gotta pull a Zona and get Houston to take a contract back.    

The Spotrac page for the Dolphins literally keeps crashing as I'm checking this out right now, which is hilarious

On 1/10/2021 at 3:59 PM, BrianM said:

I was thinking the Dolphins could easily build around him through free agency even if they're dumping a lot of firsts to make this work, but they have surprisingly low cap space next season for what I thought was a younger roster.   They gotta pull a Zona and get Houston to take a contract back.    

The Spotrac page for the Dolphins literally keeps crashing as I'm checking this out right now, which is hilarious

Doubt Miami would dump too many picks in a deal with the no-trade clause giving Houston little leverage, but the Dolphins have the 10th most cap space in the league for 2021 --

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2021/

49 minutes ago, jnormy said:

Doubt Miami would dump too many picks in a deal with the no-trade clause giving Houston little leverage, but the Dolphins have the 10th most cap space in the league for 2021 --

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2021/

At the moment yes, but that space drops to around 15 mil when you swap Watson and Tua.   It isn't a hurdle necessarily, i was just surprised given their youth.  Outside of Howard and Jones I didn't think there were any high priced guys.  

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, BrianM said:

At the moment yes, but that space drops to around 15 mil when you swap Watson and Tua.   It isn't a hurdle necessarily, i was just surprised given their youth.  Outside of Howard and Jones I didn't think there were any high priced guys.  

Ah gotcha. They invested a lot of money in those corners. That’s why I can’t see them giving up TOO much draft capital along with Tua for Watson. As a Dolphins fan, I’d love to see Deshaun in Miami, but not at the expense of undoing the great roster-building they’ve already done. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jnormy said:

Ah gotcha. They invested a lot of money in those corners. That’s why I can’t see them giving up TOO much draft capital along with Tua for Watson. As a Dolphins fan, I’d love to see Deshaun in Miami, but not at the expense of undoing the great roster-building they’ve already done. 

Most dolphins fans I know are opposed to it... they’d rather draft Sewell and Waddle or Smith and someone and keep building a stout team top to bottom. You have a top coach, a big draft class coming in give Tua a chance with some weapons and then reassess. What would it cost ? Tua and both of their first founders or more? That’s a steep price regardless of the talent you’re receiving in return. We’re more or less agreeing if I was a Fins fan I’d be vehemently against it if that’s the cost. 

Edited by CroNY
11 minutes ago, CroNY said:

Most dolphins fans I know are opposed to it... they’d rather draft Sewell and Waddle or Smith and someone and keep building a stout team top to bottom. You have a top coach, a big draft class coming in give Tua a chance with some weapons and then reassess. What would it cost ? Tua and both of their first founders? That’s a steep price regardless of the talent you’re receiving in return. We’re more or less agreeing if I was a Fins fan I’d be vehemently against it if that’s the cost. 

From a Miami perspective:

- if you could do Watson for Tua straight up, that's obviously a no-brainer

- plus one first rounder: seems worth it. 

- plus 2 first rounders: that's a lot. To be honest I would still consider that, but if they end up at say a first and a third, or first and second vs some compensation, then as Miami I'm all over that deal. Wouldn't you?

10 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

From a Miami perspective:

- if you could do Watson for Tua straight up, that's obviously a no-brainer

- plus one first rounder: seems worth it. 

- plus 2 first rounders: that's a lot. To be honest I would still consider that, but if they end up at say a first and a third, or first and second vs some compensation, then as Miami I'm all over that deal. Wouldn't you?

Yeah basically said as much if it’s going to cost Tua and both of their first rounders or more this year which are 3 and 17 that’s pretty steep. Tua plus just the third overall and say a second( believe they have multiple seconds) or third yes probably I’d do that. You don’t want to mortgage too much when you never even had the opportunity to evaluate Tua across a whole season with better weapons. If I was a Fins fan I’d want to keep building organically and from within that’s just me though. 

Edited by CroNY
  • Like 1

For Watson's sake, I really hope it isn't Miami. Unless they sign Golladay or ARob or something as well. That just doesn't feel like a good fit. I'm still holding out hope for the Niners. 

1 hour ago, ajs723 said:

For Watson's sake, I really hope it isn't Miami. Unless they sign Golladay or ARob or something as well. That just doesn't feel like a good fit. I'm still holding out hope for the Niners. 

Really? I think Miami is not a bad team. Add a QB and maybe something on D and you can fight - well maybe not with the Bills but probably for a wildcard, certainly if there are 3 wildcards.

Edited by Boudewijn
Edited out nonsense
24 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

Really? I think Miami is not a bad team. Add a QB and maybe something on D and you can fight - well maybe not with the Bills but probably for a wildcard, certainly if there are 3 wildcards.

They'll be a good team, but I don't think Watson puts up amazing numbers there. The defense is already good, but there just aren't many weapons on offense. Parker is maybe a number two WR on a good offense, and Preston is whatever. Geisiki is a good TE, but not elite. They need at least two more big time offensive players on that offense. 

• Like 1

I think MIA should be glad at how much they've already fleeced the Texans in past trades and not try to get greedy and go back to the same well again.  For the Texans sake I hope that firing BOB means no more "Taco McArthur" deals for other teams.  Enjoy having flipped Tunsil and his expensive contract for Penny Sewell on a cheap rookie deal.  Trading down or taking someone like JaMarr Chase/Devonta Smith and then an OT like Cosmi or Darrisaw would be a great win as well. 

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, jumper said:

I think MIA should be glad at how much they've already fleeced the Texans in past trades and not try to get greedy and go back to the same well again.  For the Texans sake I hope that firing BOB means no more "Taco McArthur" deals for other teams.  Enjoy having flipped Tunsil and his expensive contract for Penny Sewell on a cheap rookie deal.  Trading down or taking someone like JaMarr Chase/Devonta Smith and then an OT like Cosmi or Darrisaw would be a great win as well. 

I think Miami should milk this b*.

Offer Tua, #18 and #50 for Watson. If Watson really wants to go to Miami they should let them bleed. Take Chase with pick 3 and give your new QB weapons. Your defense was nice and suddenly you are competing big time.

If Watson isn't available to Miami's terms, they still can go the route you mention. No mercy towards weak franchises.

2 hours ago, thebadferret said:

I think Miami should milk this b*.

Offer Tua, #18 and #50 for Watson. If Watson really wants to go to Miami they should let them bleed. Take Chase with pick 3 and give your new QB weapons. Your defense was nice and suddenly you are competing big time.

If Watson isn't available to Miami's terms, they still can go the route you mention. No mercy towards weak franchises.

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Texans have requested permission to interview Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy for their head-coaching vacancy. 

The Texans have supposedly "essentially started their search over" since hiring GM Nick Caserio. Franchise player Deshaun Watson was furious when the team did not even reach out to Bieniemy, who is arguably the strongest candidate available this winter. Of course, this could amount to little more than an empty gesture, as the Texans missed the initial window to interview Bieniemy. Now they can't talk to him until after the Super Bowl or following the Chiefs' elimination. The Chiefs, of course, are in commanding position to reach another title game. Bieniemy probably doesn't have the luxury of keeping this opportunity open, as it would be extremely rare for a departing Super Bowl coordinator not to have his next job unofficially lined up before the big game. 

Related:
Jan 12, 2021, 1:45 PM ET

Well, Andre Johnson does have first hand experience of that organization wasting a HOF caliber player's chances of winning the Super Bowl.

It's like some warning you'll see from a damaged toy in Toy Story.

• Like 1

Nothing more than a gut feeling, but I just have a feeling that somehow Jerry Jones makes Deshaun Watson the starting QB for the Dallas Cowboys in 2021. What an offense that would be. If Jones can somehow add Watson without losing any key offensive weapons in the process he should do it and they would immediately be a SB contender despite a bad defense. Talk about a recipe for offensive fireworks. Even if he had to trade Zeke to make it work. Make Pollard the lead RB and center the offense around Watson & Co. The Cowboys become the Chiefs of the NFC, and one of the most exciting teams in the NFL.

7 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Nothing more than a gut feeling, but I just have a feeling that somehow Jerry Jones makes Deshaun Watson the starting QB for the Dallas Cowboys in 2021. What an offense that would be. If Jones can somehow add Watson without losing any key offensive weapons in the process he should do it and they would immediately be a SB contender despite a bad defense. Talk about a recipe for offensive fireworks. Even if he had to trade Zeke to make it work. Make Pollard the lead RB and center the offense around Watson & Co. The Cowboys become the Chiefs of the NFC, and one of the most exciting teams in the NFL.

Don't play with my emotions like that!

• Haha 1

Consulting a player on organizational moves is stupidity level 2.  Announcing publicly that you're consulting a player on organizational moves and reneging?  That's  stupidity level 10.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, goke said:

This is getting tedious. He was only at '2' after the Hopkins trade. OK. Whichever GM or coach or anything else they get - even with Watson's highly qualified (of course) opinion - is automatically not going to be as smart, because Hop isn't there. It seems like he needs to get his "grievances" straight.