NBC Sports Edge Forums

Deshaun Watson 2020 Outlook

9 minutes ago, BMcP said:

I’m not sure that you understood my point - just like the Bills with Allen, the Dolphins seem content to stick with Tua as he develops over the next few years.  They don’t feel any need to bring in a vet to replace him.

Ok, I def didn’t infer that from your post... “blind faith” sounded like a negative connotation to me. Jets have stuck with Darnold for two years now after selecting him two picks higher than the Dolphins selected Tua, so it’s kind of a wash for me. But all that matters in the end is what DeShaun is after. He’s the one with the no-trade clause so he’s in the driver’s seat if Houston is serious about moving him.

Edited by jnormy
  • Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Please stop behaving like a 16yo, even if you are. This is a forum mostly populated by adults, so let's have an adult discussion. Points are not "won" by posting a link. Maybe you have a point, m

Posted Images

:lol:

LOL @ "greatest to ever play." Apparently Ross Tucker is 10 yrs old and that pic is a fake. Hey Ross they played football in the 20th century FYI. "GOAT" discussions are always the most moronic 

13 hours ago, jnormy said:

In year 2 of a very successful rebuild. And if Watson knows anything at all about football history and the typical development of most rookie QBs, that wouldn’t bother him at all. Pretty sure the Bills are pretty happy right now that they kept their “blind trust” in Josh Allen after his (much worse than Tua’s) rookie year. 

Look, if Watson likes Saleh better, so be it. As a NYer, I’ve seen firsthand the utter despair Jets fans express year after year. If that what DeShaun wants to be a part of, have at it, and good luck.

That comment just goes to show that you no clue what you are talking about.

Rookie Josh Allen was far better than Rookie Tua. Like, way better. Based on eye test, it wasn't even close. Allen was playing on the Worst Offensive Roster in all of Football, and did the most he possibly could with what he had.

I would say roughly 95% of Bills fans believed in Allen after his rookie year.

Probably about 40% of Dolphins fans believe in Tua right now.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, jnormy said:

Ok, I def didn’t infer that from your post... “blind faith” sounded like a negative connotation to me. Jets have stuck with Darnold for two years now after selecting him two picks higher than the Dolphins selected Tua, so it’s kind of a wash for me. But all that matters in the end is what DeShaun is after. He’s the one with the no-trade clause so he’s in the driver’s seat if Houston is serious about moving him.

"Blind faith" only applies to a player who has shown nothing to indicate he can play in the NFL.

Rookie Josh Allen was a playmaker. He made special plays with nothing around him. The Bills had real faith, not blind faith, in him, because Allen actually displayed NFL potential and skill.

Rookie Tua has displayed zero NFL level talent. Tua showed nothing special about his game. The Dolphins are showing blind faith in him. Tua has done nothing to indicate he can play in the NFL. He is a tiny pocket passer with a weak arm and no ability to make plays.

Big difference that you don't seem to comprehend.

Haha, y’all have short memories, or recency bias, or whatever. Ah yes, of course, the ol’ “eye test” evaluation, that’s always completely reliable and objective, lol. Allen was questioned plenty his rookie year. There were even some people calling THIS a make-or-break year for him even after his SECOND season. He’s def come through and silenced all his doubters, for sure.

Tua has shown plenty of vision and arm strength this year with no weapons around him. Yeah he looked tentative at times, but he showed talent and poise many times too. I (and plenty of others) saw it differently than you, that’s all... it doesn’t mean I don’t know what I’m talking about or have no clue just ‘cause some random posters on a forum say so. 🙄

• Thanks 1

Let’s please not turn the Deshaun. Watson. Thread into an Allen vs. Tua debate.  Can we perhaps redirect any such discussion elsewhere?  Thanks in advance.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, BMcP said:

Let’s please not turn the Deshaun. Watson. Thread into an Allen vs. Tua debate.  Can we perhaps redirect any such discussion elsewhere?  Thanks in advance.

giphy.gif

Sounds like the J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets are the front runners which means sell all your Watson stock now.  His career is over...

In all honestly, that would be a good place for him to go.  The new coach seems to be a rising star and if they can somehow keep #2 overall and draft Sewell, well he'd be pretty protected.  We'll see how Mims develops but there is a potential #1 WR there.  Could be a lot worse. 

17 minutes ago, GottaGetTheWin said:

if they can somehow keep #2

If they can get Watson in a trade AND keep the #2 I'm going to laugh so hard it's not even funny anymore.

• Like 2
Just now, Boudewijn said:

If they can get Watson in a trade AND keep the #2 I'm going to laugh so hard it's not even funny anymore.

I’m not draft stock expert but you figure Darnold is going back in any trade and he’s worth a second round pick. 

Same thing for Tua in a Miami deal.  Could mean the Jets can do Darnold and their second 1st with some other picks thrown in. 

Also, reports say that Watson would rather go to the Jets. The longer the Texans drag this out and let reports like that come out the less leverage they have cause Watson has a full no-trade. 

10 hours ago, GottaGetTheWin said:

The longer the Texans drag this out and let reports like that come out the less leverage they have cause Watson has a full no-trade. 

Exactly. But they're the Texans after all lol. Logic and the ability to handle situations go out the window when it comes to that organization.

Have to assume there is zero way the Jets can get Watson and keep the #2 overall...

Also have to assume Watson is gonna let it be know that he and Fuller are basically a package deal. Which is probably a good thing, as Fuller will have semi-depressed value and Watson's numbers with Fuller jump to a whole different level.

• Like 1
On 1/25/2021 at 10:04 AM, sSektor said:

I still think he ends up staying if they get Bieniemy. It would probably be the ideal situation for his fantasy outlook next season too.

Nah.  It's already been reported that he wants out no matter who the Texans coach is.

• Thanks 1

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Deshaun Watson has requested to be traded from the Texans.

It's been long reported that Watson wants out of Houston, but this is the first time his request has been considered "official." Schefter adds that Watson actually hasn’t spoken to new Texans general manager Nick Caserio nor executive Jack Easterby since the former's decision has already been made. With a no-trade clause baked into his deal, the 25-year-old will ultimately choose his own suitor on the market. One after another, Houston's dumbfounding decisions and cronyism in the front office transparently highlight an organization that has no direction or intention of winning in either the near future or long-term, resulting in this decision. Whomever lands Watson will merely take on a team-friendly $10.54 million cap hit in 2021 and have its franchise cornerstone locked up under center through the 2025 season.

Jan 28, 2021, 9:56 AM ET
  • Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, The G Man said:

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Deshaun Watson has requested to be traded from the Texans.

It's been long reported that Watson wants out of Houston, but this is the first time his request has been considered "official." Schefter adds that Watson actually hasn’t spoken to new Texans general manager Nick Caserio nor executive Jack Easterby since the former's decision has already been made. With a no-trade clause baked into his deal, the 25-year-old will ultimately choose his own suitor on the market. One after another, Houston's dumbfounding decisions and cronyism in the front office transparently highlight an organization that has no direction or intention of winning in either the near future or long-term, resulting in this decision. Whomever lands Watson will merely take on a team-friendly $10.54 million cap hit in 2021 and have its franchise cornerstone locked up under center through the 2025 season.

Jan 28, 2021, 9:56 AM ET

It’s official now. Jets fans have to be licking their chops. Houston fans, however have become more dysfunctional than the Jets. Feel bad for Texan fans.

• Like 1
On 1/24/2021 at 11:16 PM, Boudewijn said:

If only Bill O'Brien were still there...

• Haha 2
Just now, Iron-cock said:

If only Bill O'Brien were still there...

BOB is still trying to dig out that knife that Easterby plunged into his back.

What do you want to bet that new Texans Head Coach David Culley, a 65 year old mediocrity who has never even coordinated despite 26 years in the league, is a Born Again Christian?

• Like 1

John McClain posted this on twitter:

So the possible asking price is the Jets for their first- and second-round picks this year and next and Quinnen Williams.

So two 1s, two 2s and Quinnen Williams for Watson....that's steep.  

Steep but possibly worth it.

What the Texans will actually do?  Sit on Watson's rights to prove that the inmates are not in charge of the prison.

12 minutes ago, Iron-cock said:

John McClain posted this on twitter:

So the possible asking price is the Jets for their first- and second-round picks this year and next and Quinnen Williams.

So two 1s, two 2s and Quinnen Williams for Watson....that's steep.  

Worth it if you are getting a franchise QB for the next decade+. Too many teams are afraid to give up draft capital for truly valuable players at important positions. Give me the proven QB 4-5 years into the league rather than the rookie QB you are trading up for and have no idea of his talent.

• Like 2

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Panthers plan to make a "strong push" for Deshaun Watson. 

Rapsheet reports Carolina will be "aggressive" in pursuit of the elite quarterback. As we know, any team with even a passing need at quarterback should be checking into Watson's availability, but the Panthers are a particularly good fit. They have both an acute need under center and the No. 8 overall pick in the draft. The Texans will surely like the fact that they also reside in the opposite conference, limiting the amount of times Watson will be able to embarrass them in the years to come. Sporting an aggressive front office, the Panthers should be taken seriously if the Texans give into Watson's demand to be dealt. 

Jan 28, 2021, 5:07 PM ET
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, The G Man said:

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Panthers plan to make a "strong push" for Deshaun Watson. 

Rapsheet reports Carolina will be "aggressive" in pursuit of the elite quarterback. As we know, any team with even a passing need at quarterback should be checking into Watson's availability, but the Panthers are a particularly good fit. They have both an acute need under center and the No. 8 overall pick in the draft. The Texans will surely like the fact that they also reside in the opposite conference, limiting the amount of times Watson will be able to embarrass them in the years to come. Sporting an aggressive front office, the Panthers should be taken seriously if the Texans give into Watson's demand to be dealt. 

Jan 28, 2021, 5:07 PM ET

Watson... CMC... Moore... Anderson... Samuel....

I'd been rooting for the Niners, but I kind of love that. Of course, take it with a grain of salt, because Rapaport also reported the Bears would be making a play. This is all fluff right now. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Watson... CMC... Moore... Anderson... Samuel....

I'd been rooting for the Niners, but I kind of love that. Of course, take it with a grain of salt, because Rapaport also reported the Bears would be making a play. This is all fluff right now. 

Problem is that teams are going to offer the kind of deals that idiot BoB would have accepted, and because of the pride and bad feelings between Watson and the Texans those types of offers won't work.  It was one thing when they traded away DHop for David Johnson, but DHop wasn't out there embarrassing the team, second guessing their head office hire decisions, and publicly asking for a trade.   This has all the ingredients (minus the franchise tag) to turn out like the Leveon Bell / Steelers debacle a couple years ago and I have the sense that's basically what will happen.

7 minutes ago, jumper said:

Problem is that teams are going to offer the kind of deals that idiot BoB would have accepted, and because of the pride and bad feelings between Watson and the Texans those types of offers won't work.  It was one thing when they traded away DHop for David Johnson, but DHop wasn't out there embarrassing the team, second guessing their head office hire decisions, and publicly asking for a trade.   This has all the ingredients (minus the franchise tag) to turn out like the Leveon Bell / Steelers debacle a couple years ago and I have the sense that's basically what will happen.

He's going to get traded. Teams are going to offer a lot. This isn't a veteran RB. This is a young franchise QB. The Panthers, for example, could literally win the Super Bowl with him next year. Same for the Niners. Even the Dolphins would be contenders. 

Watson will be on a new team sooner rather than later. 

• Like 4