NBC Sports Edge Forums

Deshaun Watson 2020 Outlook

First - agreed with @ajs723- trading Watson at this point is an opportunity for the Texans to just blow everything up and start over.

At this point it looks like a 2-horse race between the Panthers and Jets - I would prefer Carolina and maybe Watson might as well being from the south. I think he was born in GA, obv went to school in Clemson. 

The Jets aren't a terrible choice either - but if CAR is supposedly this serious they have a lot more to offer as far as weapons. That could influence Watson's approach since he is basically calling the shots on this whole deal.

• Like 1
  • Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Please stop behaving like a 16yo, even if you are. This is a forum mostly populated by adults, so let's have an adult discussion. Points are not "won" by posting a link. Maybe you have a point, m

Posted Images

1 hour ago, jumper said:

DHop wasn't out there embarrassing the team, second guessing their head office hire decisions, and publicly asking for a trade.   This has all the ingredients (minus the franchise tag) to turn out like the Leveon Bell / Steelers debacle a couple years ago and I have the sense that's basically what will happen.

The Texans are the ones that have been embarrassing themselves, Watson's done nothing of the sort. Comparing this situation to Bell/Steelers is laughable.

40 minutes ago, trilly said:

The Texans are the ones that have been embarrassing themselves, Watson's done nothing of the sort. Comparing this situation to Bell/Steelers is laughable.

I agree and disagree with this. Watson is making a spectacle of himself - fair enough? If it is fair enough, he is by definition embarrassing himself. This is the guy that just signed a long-term contract "demanding" to leave one year later. That is bad form however you want to slice it.

I do agree there is no comparison to the Bell situation. Fair to say Bell's best years are behind him and he majorly effed up taking a year off. He also had a "mere" 1 year left on his rookie contract - his only play was to sit out that final year to get the leverage he wanted. Watson is a franchise QB with several years left on his new, non-rookie deal AND has a no-trade clause. Watson has all the leverage in this scenario.

8 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

I agree and disagree with this. Watson is making a spectacle of himself - fair enough? If it is fair enough, he is by definition embarrassing himself. This is the guy that just signed a long-term contract "demanding" to leave one year later. That is bad form however you want to slice it.

I do agree there is no comparison to the Bell situation. Fair to say Bell's best years are behind him and he majorly effed up taking a year off. He also had a "mere" 1 year left on his rookie contract - his only play was to sit out that final year to get the leverage he wanted. Watson is a franchise QB with several years left on his new, non-rookie deal AND has a no-trade clause. Watson has all the leverage in this scenario.

I believe this is not a race issue. It is more about a trust issue. 

On 1/24/2021 at 11:17 AM, PisEdiRin said:

"Blind faith" only applies to a player who has shown nothing to indicate he can play in the NFL.

Rookie Josh Allen was a playmaker. He made special plays with nothing around him. The Bills had real faith, not blind faith, in him, because Allen actually displayed NFL potential and skill.

Rookie Tua has displayed zero NFL level talent. Tua showed nothing special about his game. The Dolphins are showing blind faith in him. Tua has done nothing to indicate he can play in the NFL. He is a tiny pocket passer with a weak arm and no ability to make plays.

Big difference that you don't seem to comprehend.

Allen was horribly inaccurate and had volatile decision making. That can be evaluated absent of playmaking. He flashed moments of brilliance and good on the Bills to develop him (and on him having the work ethic to get better). 

• Thanks 1

Watson can help out the team that's trading for him by saying to the Texans that he will only allow to be traded to that particular team. That gives the leverage to the trading team so that it won't give up as much as the Texans want.

Like if Watson expressly says that he will only be allowed to be traded for the Jets, the Jets might be able to keep its #2 pick.

A package of Darnold, #23rd pick, 2nd round pick, 2022 first round pick, midlevel player with some potential could be enough.

With that said, the WTFs should go all in and trade for him. Mclaurin, Gibson and Young are on their rookie contracts. They could afford giving up their 1st round picks for the 2021 to 2023 drafts and possibly Scherff who might not resign with them anyway.

As for Deshaun, he's one of the 10 best QBs in the NFL and I hope he stays in the AFC (so many exciting young QBs in the AFC). I'm not convinced like most of fans and media that he automatically makes you a SB contender, though. His statistics this past season are what they are because: 

1. He's really good. 

2. Houston played from behind a lot, so there's volume to consider (similar to Dak, Matt Ryan, Stafford etc.). 

Maybe if he went to a team like the Niners they could make a run. But Miami? No because they're bereft of weapons on the offensive side of the ball. 

I'm also seeing a lot of talk on Twitter that teams that don't even have an issue at QB should trade for Watson. Teams like Arizona, Baltimore, Bills, Dallas etc. Those teams problems aren't their QB and tbh, the difference between Deshaun and them isn't THAT wide to warrant trading them and other assets. 

Edited by Deuce1042
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, SuperJoint said:

Not sure why so many people get the Bell situation wrong, but he wasn't on his rookie contract when he sat out. He was getting franchise tagged.

11 hours ago, ajs723 said:

He's going to get traded. Teams are going to offer a lot. This isn't a veteran RB. This is a young franchise QB. The Panthers, for example, could literally win the Super Bowl with him next year. Same for the Niners. Even the Dolphins would be contenders. 

Watson will be on a new team sooner rather than later. 

The Rodney Dangerfield's of the NFL, my Dolphins just can't get any respect! SMH...

9 hours ago, Deuce1042 said:

As for Deshaun, he's one of the 10 best QBs in the NFL and I hope he stays in the AFC (so many exciting young QBs in the AFC). I'm not convinced like most of fans and media that he automatically makes you a SB contender, though. His statistics this past season are what they are because: 

1. He's really good. 

2. Houston played from behind a lot, so there's volume to consider (similar to Dak, Matt Ryan, Stafford etc.). 

Maybe if he went to a team like the Niners they could make a run. But Miami? No because they're bereft of weapons on the offensive side of the ball. 

I'm also seeing a lot of talk on Twitter that teams that don't even have an issue at QB should trade for Watson. Teams like Arizona, Baltimore, Bills, Dallas etc. Those teams problems aren't their QB and tbh, the difference between Deshaun and them isn't THAT wide to warrant trading them and other assets. 

Miami was 1 game from making the playoffs with a below average QB and their 2 starting receivers either playing hurt or missing the majority of the season.

4 hours ago, The G Man said:

The Rodney Dangerfield's of the NFL, my Dolphins just can't get any respect! SMH...

Haha. I said they'd be Super Bowl contenders with Watson. Not hating, but they aren't Super Bowl contenders with Tua. 

2 hours ago, Joe Mama said:

Miami was 1 game from making the playoffs with a below average QB and their 2 starting receivers either playing hurt or missing the majority of the season.

And no running back

51 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Haha. I said they'd be Super Bowl contenders with Watson. Not hating, but they aren't Super Bowl contenders with Tua. 

It's all good man. Just messin' with ya. 😉

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, SyNdicateZ said:

And no running back

Most of the SB champs the last few years haven't rostered a superstar RB.  Myles Gaskin is easily in the class of Sony Michel, LeGarrette Blount, C.J. Anderson, Percy Harvin, Ahmad Bradshaw, et cetera who were the leading rushers for their winning SB team.  Seems one of the best ways to win in the modern CBA is having a below market price QB and RB and using the cap savings for defense, and to a lesser extent receiving weapons. 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, jumper said:

Seems one of the best ways to win in the modern CBA is having a below market price QB and RB and using the cap savings for defense, and to a lesser extent receiving weapons. 

We tend to forget this because Fantasy usually focuses on offense, but the old mantra that "Defense wins championships" is still true.

8 hours ago, devaster said:

Not sure why so many people get the Bell situation wrong, but he wasn't on his rookie contract when he sat out. He was getting franchise tagged.

I realize the respective contract situations were different and pointed that out in my post.  I was using the Bell/Steelers situation as an example of the (IMHO) very real possibility that personalities, ego, and pride get in the way of a "good" resolution for the Watson/Texans argument.  Sure it could be one of those "amicable divorce" situations, but it could also get ugly like the Bell/Steelers situation where if either had been even slightly more flexible, both sides would have wound up better off.  It's entirely possible with Watson and the Texans, that both make decisions or statements that leave both sides worse off than would have otherwise been possible had they cooperated even slightly.  Hopefully this doesn't turn ugly, but there seems to be a strong undercurrent of really bad feelings between the two sides. 

1 hour ago, jumper said:

I realize the respective contract situations were different and pointed that out in my post.  I was using the Bell/Steelers situation as an example of the (IMHO) very real possibility that personalities, ego, and pride get in the way of a "good" resolution for the Watson/Texans argument.  Sure it could be one of those "amicable divorce" situations, but it could also get ugly like the Bell/Steelers situation where if either had been even slightly more flexible, both sides would have wound up better off.  It's entirely possible with Watson and the Texans, that both make decisions or statements that leave both sides worse off than would have otherwise been possible had they cooperated even slightly.  Hopefully this doesn't turn ugly, but there seems to be a strong undercurrent of really bad feelings between the two sides. 

I agree that the Le'Veon Bell case was quite a bit different.  The Steelers foolishly (in my view) tried to tag Bell for a second consecutive year in 2018, likely because they believed they had a championship caliber team and Bell was one of the final pieces of the puzzle.

Houston, on the other hand, is coming off of a 4-12 season, with a roster in nearly complete shambles.  And the team, guided by some strange combination of Cal McNair, Jack Easterby, and the now-fired Bill O'Brien, have for two consecutive years made one disasterous decision after another, nearly without ceasing.

Any normal, competently run franchise would likely admit defeat and deal Watson to the highest bidder.  If the last two years have proven anything, however, it is that the Houston Texans are not a normal, competently run team.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I agree that the Le'Veon Bell case was quite a bit different.  The Steelers foolishly (in my view) tried to tag Bell for a second consecutive year in 2018, likely because they believed they had a championship caliber team and Bell was one of the final pieces of the puzzle.

Houston, on the other hand, is coming off of a 4-12 season, with a roster in nearly complete shambles.  And the team, guided by some strange combination of Cal McNair, Jack Easterby, and the now-fired Bill O'Brien, have for two consecutive years made one disasterous decision after another, nearly without ceasing.

Any normal, competently run franchise would likely admit defeat and deal Watson to the highest bidder.  If the last two years have proven anything, however, it is that the Houston Texans are not a normal, competently run team.

They are only a year removed from making and winning a playoff game.

Texans GM Nick Caserio reiterated the team's commitment to Deshaun Watson.

"Organizationally, want to reiterate our commitment to Deshaun Watson," Caserio told media Friday. "We have zero interest in trading the player." And yes, he actually referred to Watson as "the player." Clearly at a crossroads with the front office despite its recent hire of respected coach David Culley, Watson finds himself battling for leverage ahead of the 2021 season with an owner, general manager, and coach he refuses to speak with. Even Caserio labeled the team's timeline to resolve any issues with the 25-year-old as a "one-day-at-a-time" process for the organization. With no long-term blueprint or plan in the near future in place to succeed at any level, Watson will certainly remain hard-pressed to waive his no-trade clause if only to escape the trainwreck grasp of owner Cal McNair and Co.

Jan 29, 2021, 1:53 PM ET
6 hours ago, Joe Mama said:

There's a tremendous leap between "One game from making the playoffs" and "Winning the Super Bowl". Teams that are just alright make the playoffs every year. Houston was never a contender with Watson and that was before their roster tanked. 

27 minutes ago, The G Man said:

Texans GM Nick Caserio reiterated the team's commitment to Deshaun Watson.

"Organizationally, want to reiterate our commitment to Deshaun Watson," Caserio told media Friday. "We have zero interest in trading the player." And yes, he actually referred to Watson as "the player." Clearly at a crossroads with the front office despite its recent hire of respected coach David Culley, Watson finds himself battling for leverage ahead of the 2021 season with an owner, general manager, and coach he refuses to speak with. Even Caserio labeled the team's timeline to resolve any issues with the 25-year-old as a "one-day-at-a-time" process for the organization. With no long-term blueprint or plan in the near future in place to succeed at any level, Watson will certainly remain hard-pressed to waive his no-trade clause if only to escape the trainwreck grasp of owner Cal McNair and Co.

Jan 29, 2021, 1:53 PM ET

Right on cue, the Texans start digging in.  By saying "the player," Caserio is likely signaling a doubling-down of the previously expressed organizational philosophy:  "You can't let the inmates run the prison."  From any other team, I might just consider this a shrewd negotiating tactic to drive up the price.  But given their track record, it actually looks to me that they are activating their self-destruct sequence.

• Like 1