NBC Sports Edge Forums

Deshaun Watson 2020 Outlook

36 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Just looking at QBs from this era.

Aaron Rodgers won 6 games in his 4th NFL season. And again in his 14th NFL season. So Rodgers is disqualified from elite QB conversations, I guess.

Drew Brees went 2-9 in his 3rd NFL season. He also had losing seasons in 4 out of 5 years during a stretch of his prime. You better tell me he's not in the conversation.

Matt Ryan went 4-12 in his 6th season.

Rivers had seasons of 4-12, and 5-11.

If your argument is that Brady and Wilson are the only good QBs over the last 20 years in the NFL, okay, otherwise please stop this nonsense. 

He's disqualified for the time being, not forever. Fresh off of going 4-12 in Year 4, he's not an elite QB at this moment in time. He can still change the narrative in upcoming seasons. But right now, it's unfair to put him in the same tier as Mahomes/Rodgers/Allen.

- Rivers was never an elite QB. Fake Stats King. Took advantage of defenses leaving the middle of the field open with a 14 point lead in the 4th quarter.

- You said Rodgers won 6 games. 6 wins is 150% of 4 wins. Big difference. There you go again, devaluing Winning - acting like 4 Wins and 6 Wins are the same thing.

Edited by PisEdiRin
  • Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Please stop behaving like a 16yo, even if you are. This is a forum mostly populated by adults, so let's have an adult discussion. Points are not "won" by posting a link. Maybe you have a point, m

Posted Images

52 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

So...since you believe Watson is so bad at playing quarterback?

I suppose the Texans should trade him away forthwith.  

Perhaps for a QB who is an evangelical and will be more comfortable in prayer meetings with the owner and team chaplain, er...VP of football operations.

I tend to agree.  Let's make this happen.

Who said that? I said he's not elite. Putting him in the same tier as Mahomes, Josh Allen, and Rodgers, is just asinine and wrong.

7 minutes ago, PisEdiRin said:

He's disqualified for the time being, not forever. Fresh off of going 4-12 in Year 4, he's not an elite QB at this moment in time. He can still change the narrative in upcoming seasons. But right now, it's unfair to put him in the same tier as Mahomes/Rodgers/Allen.

- Rivers was never an elite QB. Fake Stats King. Took advantage of defenses leaving the middle of the field open with a 14 point lead in the 4th quarter.

- You said Rodgers won 6 games. 6 wins is 150% of 4 wins. Big difference. There you go again, devaluing Winning - acting like 4 Wins and 6 Wins are the same thing.

Wow. I.. I don't even know how to respond anymore. This is silly. I tried. 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Wow. I.. I don't even know how to respond anymore. This is silly. I tried. 

He lost to the Browns 10-7.

I repeat: 10 to 7.

His defense gave up 10 points.

He still lost.

"Elite QB"

13 minutes ago, PisEdiRin said:

He lost to the Browns 10-7.

I repeat: 10 to 7.

His defense gave up 10 points.

He still lost.

"Elite QB"

That game was played in a monsoon. But you obviously don't watch games. Baker was 12/20 for 132 yards and no TDs in that game. The Browns ran the ball 40 times for 230 yards. Duke Johnson had 14 rushes for 54 yards for the Texans. 

The score was low because of the weather. The Browns won because they had an actual football team around their QB..

Edited by ajs723
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
51 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

That game was played in a monsoon. But you obviously don't watch games. Baker was 12/20 for 132 yards and no TDs in that game. The Browns ran the ball 40 times for 230 yards. Duke Johnson had 14 rushes for 54 yards for the Texans. 

The score was low because of the weather. The Browns won because they had an actual football team around their QB..

Oh look, more excuses.

Bad weather huh?

What do u think Josh Allen faces weather-wise 8 games in Buffalo?

Heck, how about Mitch Trubisky 8 games in Chicago?

Don't forget Watson plays 8 home games in a dome. That certainly has helped his stats. He has a weak arm velocity-wise. (Look up his throwing MPH)

Most of Watson's peers actually face much worse weather conditions over a 16 game season than Watson. So Watson has an overall advantage in that regard.

43 minutes ago, PisEdiRin said:

Oh look, more excuses.

Bad weather huh?

What do u think Josh Allen faces weather-wise 8 games in Buffalo?

Heck, how about Mitch Trubisky 8 games in Chicago?

Don't forget Watson plays 8 home games in a dome. That certainly has helped his stats. He has a weak arm velocity-wise. (Look up his throwing MPH)

Most of Watson's peers actually face much worse weather conditions over a 16 game season than Watson. So Watson has an overall advantage in that regard.

We were talking about one game.  You brought it up. You failed to mention the game was played in a biblical storm.  Seems relevant. 

• Like 2
12 hours ago, PisEdiRin said:

Can you please pinpoint the moment it was determined that he isn’t elite?  Was it during his rookie season when his team went 4-12, but went 3-3 when Watson started? Or during the 2018 season where he went 11-5? Or 2019 where his team went 10-6? Or did it just happen in 2020?

Given you ability to identify greatness in qb’s and thorough understanding of the relationship between an elite qb and the teams winning percentage, I’m sure there was a moment where this became obvious.......

I can’t believe I’m falling into the trap of feeding into this nonsense.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, BMcP said:

This thread has become pure comedy gold.

You misspelled "dumpster fire".

30 minutes ago, Loadedbrewer said:

I can’t believe I’m falling into the trap of feeding into this nonsense.

tenor.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

This morning Rapoport (NFL owners' favorite dupe) has published that the Texans have told other teams they will not be trading Watson, and are not willing to listen to offers for their non-elite QB.

This is exactly what a smart team would do to drive up the price.

For a "can't let inmates run the prison," "put the Team Chaplain in charge," "hire a lightly regarded 65-year-old career position coach as head coach" type of team, they might just mean what they say.

Prediction: Watson still refuses to play for them, and they end up getting nothing in return.

16 hours ago, BMcP said:

This thread has become pure comedy gold.

What happens when a 4-12 QB becomes glorified and vastly overrated by the media and casuals.

Sad state of affairs nowaways when Losing is rewarded, and Winning is devalued. Pathetic, really.

It's not comedy, it's actually kinda sad.

Well this is a fantasy football forum.  Watson seems to be pretty strong in fantasy.  "Elite" is a subjective term that you can debate all day, with someone else, if you like.

I am trying to figure out if Watson will play at all in 2021.  Knowing what I know right this minute?  I would say it is not looking good.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Grinner said:

Does this thread not have a moderator?

Having a "ridiculous" opinion shouldn't be against any rules. People laughed at me when I said that Aaron Jones was a top 5 RB talent in the league before the 2019 season. And now I catch a lot of heat for my Cooper Kupp takes. 

Don't think moderators are needed here.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, PisEdiRin said:

What happens when a 4-12 QB becomes glorified and vastly overrated by the media and casuals.

Sad state of affairs nowaways when Losing is rewarded, and Winning is devalued. Pathetic, really.

It's not comedy, it's actually kinda sad.

Put Patrick Mahomes or Aaron Rodgers on the Texans this year and they don't make the playoffs. Rodgers has missed the playoffs with way better teams.

Let's take this to its logical conclusion. If you put prime Tom Brady on the local high school state champion football team and had them play a 16 game NFL schedule, how many games would they win? There's only one correct answer.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Put Patrick Mahomes or Aaron Rodgers on the Texans this year and they don't make the playoffs. Rodgers has missed the playoffs with way better teams.

Let's take this to its logical conclusion. If you put prime Tom Brady on the local high school state champion football team and had them play a 16 game NFL schedule, how many games would they win? There's only one correct answer.

But what about Prime Brady on the local H.S. State Champs v. 1 foot tall Ditka?

• Haha 2

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30853055/sources-houston-texans-insist-other-teams-trade-deshaun-watson

"One player privately commented to ESPN that the Texans are weeding out employees who were not hired by executive vice president Jack Easterby and new general manager Nick Caserio, replacing them with employees who will be indebted to them for their work."

Quickly making their way to the laughingstock of the league, which is impressive given Snyder is still a team owner. Staying far away from anyone on this dumpster fire of a team.

• Like 1

Teams vying for Watson are going to be like managers in your FF league that are all trying to make a deal with the league loser who just so happened to get lucky and landed one great player in the draft, has sh!t for the rest of his team, doesn't know how to negotiate and wants a king's ransom for said player.

In other words...GFL to any teams trying to trade for Watson, because even if they do make a good offer (or even an offer more in favor of the Texans), they'll counter and increase their demands to the point where you'll just give up in complete and utter frustration.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, The G Man said:

Teams vying for Watson are going to be like managers in your FF league that are all trying to make a deal with the league loser who just so happened to get lucky and landed one great player in the draft, has sh!t for the rest of his team, doesn't know how to negotiate and wants a king's ransom for said player.

In other words...GFL to any teams trying to trade for Watson, because even if they do make a good offer (or even an offer more in favor of the Texans), they'll counter and increase their demands to the point where you'll just give up in complete and utter frustration.

Which would be an improvement over the status quo, which is the Texans digging in and not even listening to any offers for Watson.

3 hours ago, The G Man said:

I see what you're saying, but that's exactly what the Texans should do. They should be asking for the moon, and then ultimately take the absolute best offer they get. They aren't going to convince Watson to stay, so they will eventually need to move him. 

36 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

I see what you're saying, but that's exactly what the Texans should do. They should be asking for the moon, and then ultimately take the absolute best offer they get. They aren't going to convince Watson to stay, so they will eventually need to move him. 

The Texans should do as you advise because it would be the most sensible, and strategically sound, play.

What they will actually do appears to be to dig in their heels and try to force Watson to play for them and them alone.  They think they are calling Watson's bluff.  I don't think Watson's bluffing.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, SharkSwimmer said:

The Texans should do as you advise because it would be the most sensible, and strategically sound, play.

What they will actually do appears to be to dig in their heels and try to force Watson to play for them and them alone.  They think they are calling Watson's bluff.  I don't think Watson's bluffing.

He's not. They will find out, one way or another.

• Thanks 1