NBC Sports Edge Forums

Deshaun Watson 2020 Outlook

1 hour ago, Flyman75 said:

It's tough for anyone to sit him because he's been a top 6 QB. But, I can't believe I fell for him knowing that Nuk was gone and that Fuller and Cooks never stay healthy. Derp! I don't think we want to start listing the QBs we passed over to select this guy. Haha!

Not to rub it in, but so glad I pivoted away from Watson. Went Dak & Murray instead. 

It was the ups and downs from owning him last year + some of the uncertainty heading into 2020. 

They sorely miss that consistent chain mover in 3rd down situations. DHop of course 

But I refuse to believe that Watson will be this bad moving forward.

His ceiling looks severely capped tho .. in regards to where he got drafted. 

Edited by RunCMC
  • Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Please stop behaving like a 16yo, even if you are. This is a forum mostly populated by adults, so let's have an adult discussion. Points are not "won" by posting a link. Maybe you have a point, m

Posted Images

1 minute ago, RunCMC said:

Not to rub it in, but so glad I pivoted away from Watson. Went Dak & Murray instead. 

It was the ups and downs from owning him last year + some of the uncertainty heading into 2020. 

They sorely miss that consistent chain mover in 3rd down situations. DHop of course 

But I refuse to believe that Watson will be this bad moving forward. His ceiling does look severely capped tho, in regards to where he got drafted. 

Well where you were during my draft?? Hahaha!! I'm a first-time owner of Watson, but I have another option. It was a case of buying the fantasy talent, if that makes sense? But with any player who will require a decent amount of draft capital, you have to take off the blinders and see a situation for what it is. I saw Fuller, Cooks, Cobb, and DJ, and thought, "There's no way Watson won't be a top-5 QB, even without Nuk." Never mind that Fuller gets hurt every year and Cooks has concussion issues. And his OL has been terrible so far. 

The pick right after I took Watson? Kyler Murray. Six picks later? Josh Allen. Three rounds later? Matt Ryan. Smh. 

I don't necessarily think Watson will be this bad moving forward. I mean, he just played two tough defenses. But like you said, his ceiling isn't what is was when he had Nuk, and he'll probably be the QB8-10, at best. 

Maybe he can get right against Minnesota with Jax the week after that, both at home. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, kmoore1521 said:

Reminds me of all the AJones doubters fading him this season hah

way too early to panic, bad matchups, give it a few weeks and the posts your seeing right now will look like posts in the Aaron Jones thread pre season..........

Maybe so. Hope so. I believe in Watson...I just don't believe in the health or depth of his WR corps, nor do I believe in his OL. But let's see what happens when he gets to play Minny and Jax at home. 

9 minutes ago, Foppatosakic said:

Can this guy be a top 10 QB this year or is their legitimate concern with his Oline/weapons? 

He should be top 10, just need the schedule to soften up a bit. Top 5 is the real question, and looks unlikely at this point.

• Like 1

Already dropped to around QB9 in rest of season rankings, while having been drafted 3-4 weeks ago as the QB5 just after Lamar, Mahomes, Dak, and Russ. 

He has played thus far against 2nd and 3rd best defenses against QBs of 2019 in PIT and BAL (KC ranked as 12th best). In 2020, BAL has given up 25 pts total to QBs not named Patrick Mahomes. While the Steelers have yet to give up more than 20 pts to a QB through 3 weeks, while 2 of the 4 TDs they have given up to QBs not named Deshaun were given up in the 4th quarter while they were playing with a lead (how do you say garbage time in french... temps des ordures anyone ?)

KC is middle of the pack, but of course should not be taken lightly as Lamar just threw for 97, yes 97 passing yards on MNF against them (Christian Ponder... is that you?). 

Now, Deshaun plays Minnesota at home this weekend. The same Minnesota that gave up 364 and 4 to A Rod in Week 1, and 321 yards to Corey Davis, Jonnu, Adam Humphries, and Ryan Tannehill last week... on wait for it, 23 completions. Thats 13.95 yards per completion which would have led any QB in the NFL over the last 8 seasons not named Fitzmagic of 2018. The same Minnesota that in week 2 Phillip Rivers only needed to throw 8 times in the last 30 minutes of the game in which the Colts had the ball for nearly 21 of those minutes (Skol... please?).

Then he gets the Jags at home the next weekend... the same Jacksonville team that has given up 7 touchdowns in the last two weeks to Ryan Tannehill and Fitzmagic.

Then its Tennessee who has given up 3 TDs in two consecutive weeks to Gardner Minshew who looked awful against the Dolphins defense (an achievement in itself for Minshew) and Kirk Cousins coming off his stellar 113 yard 3 TD day against the colts... wait those were interceptions not TDs, he had a passer rating of 15.9 (otherwise known as less than half of the worst career passer rating of any QB in the last 40 years who has thrown at least 130 passes, 32.5... hello Nathan Peterman).

The demise of Deshaun Watson might have been greatly exaggerated. The next 3 weeks will be telling, but I refuse to believe Deshaun Watson the QB4 of 2018, QB5 of 2019, and QB3 over the last 35 weeks of NFL, will continue to average around the same points per game as the 2020 version of Carson Wentz, Ryan Tannehill, Gardner Minshew, Derek Carr, and Matthew Stafford. 

Buy low. Buy low. Buy low.

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, ponchsox said:

He’s not even an QB1 at this point. Streamer.

My favorite part of the latest fail was 3 straight rushes 1st and Goal on the last drive of the game. DJ gets them down to the couple-inch line on I believe 2nd down then they bounce it outside on an OPTION on 3rd/inches; fumble by DJ, lose 5 yards. Only on 4th did they attempt a pass which of course was incomplete - game over.

Clown. Show.

• Like 1
On 10/1/2020 at 11:56 AM, TheBoondocks said:

The buy low window is gone tbh. 

I've been taking Ls the first weeks and have no issues given Watson's ROS schedule. Some soft matchups coming in for this man, and he will BEAST.

I hope you're right, but with no stud pass catchers or running game I don't know how it's going to happen. He's not even rushing like he used to.

Didn’t this guy just have 300/2, very nearly 300/3 today? That’s a pretty good fantasy day imo. I mean, not compared to some of the ridiculous games we’ve seen from Allen. Wilson, Dak, but generally speaking I’ll take 300/2 every week. 

25 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Didn’t this guy just have 300/2, very nearly 300/3 today? That’s a pretty good fantasy day imo. I mean, not compared to some of the ridiculous games we’ve seen from Allen. Wilson, Dak, but generally speaking I’ll take 300/2 every week. 

It's impossible to disagree with this but I'm sure you understand on some level this was a disappointing result against a D that can't stop anybody. 300/2 would make some sense in a game when you could get anything going on the ground (21/87/0). They trailed throughout this game - something that theoretically would be a good thing for your QB. Watson struggled to complete 50% of his passes in the first half dinking and dunking with no real sense of urgency in the play calling as they fell more and more behind.

He had a solid game today once again because of garbage time once they play-called themselves into having no chance of winning - again. Discontent w/Watson's play is not so much because of a solid point total today but the manner in which it had to occur. At 0-4 you have to start feeling like the walls are closing in just a tad.

40 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Thats nothing special, especially since it was a smash spot against one of the worst defenses. I would be trying to sell if I was an owner. His name value should fetch something decent.