Noah Fant 2020 Outlook

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Kelce owners should be banned from posting in all TE threads IMO

League-leading 100% target share this week ... Fant's outlook is trending up!

Hell yes.The TE landscape is dark and full of terrors.

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Why?

I just dont see the volume being there, especially on a team that probably wants to run the ball and play good defense. Im not sure if I want a starting TE who relies on big plays for production. His snap count also curiously went dramatically down when Lock became the starter.

Its not that I dont think he can be good, its just there a lot of guys who are a lot better. I think his breakout will come in 2021.

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Evincar said:

I just dont see the volume being there, especially on a team that probably wants to run the ball and play good defense. Im not sure if I want a starting TE who relies on big plays for production. His snap count also curiously went dramatically down when Lock became the starter.

Its not that I dont think he can be good, its just there a lot of guys who are a lot better. I think his breakout will come in 2021.

On the snap-count issue, I think the drop-off was mainly due to an assortment of hip, foot and shoulder injuries Fant was playing through during the last month of the season.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Evincar said:

2021 is the safer bet.  I don’t see Fant cracking the top 5 in 2020.   But top 10 with some multi TD weeks?   Likely.  This guy is a serious weapon with speed and pass catching ability in the mold of George Kittle.  Just needs polish.  

His snap counts went down with Lock because Fant was banged up and Denver prioritized run blocking and pass pro.  Smart decision with a rookie qb coming off IR in the middle of the season.  That trend is unlikely to hold in 2020.  

Edited by Impreza178
  • Like 4

Something to bear in mind about Fant if you’re concerned about volume: nearly 60% of his total yardage came after the catch (8.3 YAC average).

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Evincar said:

I doubt Fant cracks the top 8 this season let alone top 4 lol.

is it possible that cleats' leaguemate meant "top 4 in tier 3"? that's doable!

fant could easily beat out one his tier-mates---oj howard, dallas goedert, mike gesicki, jack doyle, tyler higbee---to reach TE10. 

then again, if fitzmagic begins the season the way he ended 2019, the dolphins passing offense will be unstoppable, including gesicki. 

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Brye said:

Need a TE too , Not sure between Fant or Hockenson, or that Jets TE.

All are good choices.  Herndon to get most targets of the 3?  Fant is the most dynamic/fast.  Who ends up with the most TDs?  That's the one you want.

Fant is on my radar as a last resort TE in 12 team formats but I'm hoping to land a better option. He averaged fewer than 3 targets a game in the 5 weeks that he played with Lock last season with no more than 4 targets in any of those games.

Fant is talented and has big play capability, which gives any TE value towards the end of drafts. However, I don't project Lock to be even a moderately high-output passer and he wasn't able to develop much of a connection with Fant in the 5 weeks they spent together on the field in 2019. 

One thing I Luke about Fant is that Shurmer has always run a TE-friendly system. Started as a TE coach before becoming an OC and later a HC. Apparently Shurmer told Fant to study Rudolph and Engram’s game as his skill set kinda encompasses both of those players.. the speed of Engram and close to the  size of Rudolph. I drafted as my TE2 behind Waller but I could easily see him having the better year. 

Edited by Olliemets
  • Like 3
12 hours ago, Olliemets said:

One thing I Luke about Fant is that Shurmer has always run a TE-friendly system. Started as a TE coach before becoming an OC and later a HC. Apparently Shurmer told Fant to study Rudolph and Engram’s game as his skill set kinda encompasses both of those players.. the speed of Engram and close to the  size of Rudolph. I drafted as my TE2 behind Waller but I could easily see him having the better year. 

good stuff

Due to engrams injuries and thus lack of success I assumed shurmer wasn’t a very TE friendly coach but when engram has played he’s produced good fantasy numbers.

If you extrapolate his PPG for the full season he finishes 2018 (11 games) and 2019 (8 games) as TE6 in both seasons. 

In 2017 under shurmer Rudolph was TE7. Now that’s nothing to write home about but if you could get the TE 6-7 with one of your last picks I think you’ll be happy. 

20 hours ago, Olliemets said:

Where did you read this?

When a rookie tight end puts up production like this, pay attention. While plenty of focus is on the receivers added around him and the run first offense the Broncos hope to be, both objections are overblown. First, these new WRs are not DeAndre Hopkins or Brandin Cooks, they are rookies looking to acclimate in this COVID offseason. The Broncos’ hopes to run the ball does not frighten me. Heavier formations will keep defensive backs off the field helping him be what he was drafted as, a glaring mismatch for those who hope to cover him. If there simply isn’t enough volume, (a genuine concern) this guy shouldn’t have cost you anything in draft capital.

15 hours ago, GOAT-dell Beckham said:

Heavier formations will keep defensive backs off the field helping him be what he was drafted as, a glaring mismatch for those who hope to cover him.

Yes I envision Fant benefiting from the addition of Jerry Jeudy this year. With big play ability, I think Fant can be the OJ Howard that a lot of us were hoping for. Super cheap, grabbed him in one of my redrafts as a backup TE.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

No reason that Gordon and Fant might end up within the top three in targets on this team .  As some of you have mentioned, the WR corps is great but young.  I'd like to say that Fant has chemistry with Lock....we shall see.  I leaning more towards Top 5 than Top 15 - gave myself some wiggle room there. 

Edited by dudewithabadcat

Anybody have a handle on the Titans defense?  They have a great safety Kevin Byard.  Supposedly he was the reason they shut down tight ends 2018.  But then in 2019 they were #26 defending tight ends, even with Byard.

So, is this an easy matchup or a tough one?

16 minutes ago, Nap Time said:

Anybody have a handle on the Titans defense?  They have a great safety Kevin Byard.  Supposedly he was the reason they shut down tight ends 2018.  But then in 2019 they were #26 defending tight ends, even with Byard.

So, is this an easy matchup or a tough one?

Tough matchup. Lock is still fairly unproven and no Sutton hurts them immensely. 

• Like 1