NBC Sports Edge Forums

45 minutes ago, Rush2112 said:

Baez wins all by himself, the other player can be dropped for more offense. 

Is this a troll post or has Rush finally gotten to the point were he can post a quality response and still have it look like a troll post?

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, HOOTIE said:

It's fair

Woodruff is top 20

Top 20 SP’s? Woodruff has a lot of potential but is not an ace yet. Baez is a top 5 SS and in top 50 players, Woodruff is not in the top 50. 

10 hours ago, Richard Kimble said:

10-team NL only roto, standard cats plus QS, BSV, HLD and Relief WIns, OBP, SLG, Errors and batter K are categories

Baez/Pomeranz for Segura/Woodruff. Woodruff side lost Syndergaard. Fair trade? 

Baez side easily.

2 hours ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

Top 20 SP’s? Woodruff has a lot of potential but is not an ace yet. Baez is a top 5 SS and in top 50 players, Woodruff is not in the top 50. 

Baez side easily.

Ok, top 20 was high

Fantasy Pros did a consensus of 39 experts

Woodruff ranked 25th

I'd say its pretty fair deal.   

Segura is a bit underrated, hitting 2nd amidst a strong Phillies lineup, while Baez free-swinging ways lend skepticism that he will eventually see a steep decline in batting average.  Baez K-rate was an abysmal 27.8% last season, ranking 8th worst among qualified bats.  He's also not the threat he once was on the base paths, getting thrown out 7 times out of 18 attempts.  I'm not a Baez hater by any means,  and his impressive spring performance demonstrated that the thumb injury is behind him, however wouldn't be surprised if Segura outperformed him in runs scored, batting average, stolen bases and OB% when all said and done.  

Woodruff is a legitimate Cy Young candidate.  If not for the oblique setback last season, he was trending towards the top of the NL leaderboard in Wins, Strikeouts and WAR.  3.01 FIP lends more reason for optimism. Don't believe the aforementioned top 20 rank was overly optimistic at all.  He has all the making of an ace.   Would fill the void in the rotation very nicely for a team that just lost one of their presumed top starters (in Thor) 

Going with the contrarian play and leaning the Woodruff/Segura side      

I appreciate the objectivity of those who actually did look at the trade, and not just the name value of Baez alone to assume that side is winning. I did make this move immediately after the Syndergaard injury, initially offering Gallen, in a bit of an upsell, while mentioning I'd part with Woodruff to seal the deal whilst playing up some of Segura's attributes that F@ndemonium mentioned. Segura has had a few exceptional fantasy seasons in his career, and although it seems unlikely he will be a stud again, he doesn't hurt in any category except power and has the potential to have an exceptional season in BA or SB (less likely batting 3rd in the order, which is where I thought the Phillies were planning to hit him).

At the end of the day, I'm happy to get the boost in power that Baez gives my team, and don't mind sacrificing the SBs and taking a small hit to a few other categories. It's a needs-based deal, and for him he can use the extra steals and the boost to his starting pitching, which was the key in striking while the iron was hot. I'm happy with the deal, but I gave up a fair return. Losing Woodruff does mean I need Johnny Cueto as my 5th starter to perform, and if Pomeranz isn't lights out, this deal doesn't look as great. Him being a good source of Ks, whip, hlds, RW and maybe even a QS or two is actually a part of this deal for me. 

Edited by Richard Kimble

you would need to do a deep dive into the value of each player with the extra stats. with that many extra stats who knows how one team is attacking and punting certain cats.

trades ok depending how competitive the league is. think you could make a case for woodruff as a high end sp2 with shortened season

13 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

you would need to do a deep dive into the value of each player with the extra stats. with that many extra stats who knows how one team is attacking and punting certain cats.

trades ok depending how competitive the league is. think you could make a case for woodruff as a high end sp2 with shortened season

Baez basically helps me a great deal just with the extra HRs. I drafted a lineup with very low strikeout, high OBP hitters, and still project to easily lead the league in those cats. For the other manager, they're kind of offsetting each other in a way to balance his team a little more, and he needed a pitcher as he was looking at Soroka, Quintana, Lester and Wainwright as his rotation. He's still going to need to improve that rotation. I have Gallen as my #2 now behind Strasburg, and Alcantara and Stroman are good if they can maintain a better K rate this season. So losing Woodruff made an area of strength into one that is solid, but vulnerable to injury now. 

Edited by Richard Kimble
8 hours ago, F@ndemonium said:

I'd say its pretty fair deal.   

Segura is a bit underrated, hitting 2nd amidst a strong Phillies lineup, while Baez free-swinging ways lend skepticism that he will eventually see a steep decline in batting average.  Baez K-rate was an abysmal 27.8% last season, ranking 8th worst among qualified bats.  He's also not the threat he once was on the base paths, getting thrown out 7 times out of 18 attempts.  I'm not a Baez hater by any means,  and his impressive spring performance demonstrated that the thumb injury is behind him, however wouldn't be surprised if Segura outperformed him in runs scored, batting average, stolen bases and OB% when all said and done.  

Woodruff is a legitimate Cy Young candidate.  If not for the oblique setback last season, he was trending towards the top of the NL leaderboard in Wins, Strikeouts and WAR.  3.01 FIP lends more reason for optimism. Don't believe the aforementioned top 20 rank was overly optimistic at all.  He has all the making of an ace.   Would fill the void in the rotation very nicely for a team that just lost one of their presumed top starters (in Thor) 

Going with the contrarian play and leaning the Woodruff/Segura side      

2 hours ago, Richard Kimble said:

I thought he was going to hit 3rd until McCutchen returned? I guess now he'll go back to 2nd since Cutch should be ready to go.

Segura is actually expected to bat sixth.

1 Cutch/Kingery (while Cutch is injured)

2 Harper or JT

3 JT or Harper

4 Hoskins 

5 Didi

6 Segura