NBC Sports Edge Forums

Please help Need opinions, made two major trades because lost Syndergaard for the year

My team was 

12 team h2h cats yahoo pro league

C-Ramos

1b-Olsen

2b-marte

SS-Story

3b-JRAM 

OF-Yordan Alvarez 

OF-Benintendi 

OF-Puig 

Util-Cruz

Util-Amed Rosario 

Bench- roughed order, Avasail Garcia, McCutchen 

Sp- Corbin, Syndergaard, Sonny Gray, Lynn, Carrasco, weaver, archer, howard

Rp- Doolittle, betances 

After losing Syndergaard for the year I made two big trades to shake things up 

traded my Yordan Alvarez and Spencer Howard for Strasburg and trey Mancini

traded my Trevor story, betances, McCutchen , Doolittle for  Bryce Harper, Kimbrel, Hansel Robles, and kris Davis 

how ow did I do overall? Sucks losing a main piece do to injury so I felt I had to make somebody happen with trades....

Wow, I don't get it. At all. I feel like you panicked here and made one bad move and compounded with a worse one, imho. I feel like you rotation was decent enough you didn't need a top SP like Strasburg, and giving up Alvarez and Story for Harper, McCutchen and Khris Davis? No telling if Mancini plays..maybe it pays off in the long run if he does, but those two guys are studs and you downgraded at SS in a major way. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, colepenhagen said:

personally dont like moving story for harper and closers. think the difference between story top 10 vs harper top 25 is more than closers and a decent power bat

dont hate it just not what i would of done

Yes. Thinking the same. 

2 hours ago, Richard Kimble said:

Wow, I don't get it. At all. I feel like you panicked here and made one bad move and compounded with a worse one, imho. I feel like you rotation was decent enough you didn't need a top SP like Strasburg, and giving up Alvarez and Story for Harper, McCutchen and Khris Davis? No telling if Mancini plays..maybe it pays off in the long run if he does, but those two guys are studs and you downgraded at SS in a major way. 

Yep. I looked at the OP‘s pitching, and even without Syndergaard, it looks solid. Seems like there was no need to shake things up like that and he downgraded at SS by a lot.

28 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

You really should have posted these as “potential” deals before you actually pulled the trigger..lol

Not sure why everyone so down on them, high stakes adp from premier money leagues have Strasburg going 10-14 spots ahead of Alvarez, also go trey mencini who should be ready with the corona lay-off, his adp was around 100, so I got stars 26adp and mencini 100 adp for Yordan 39 adp

Got 2 closers both should be solid to potentially great top 8 upside (angels great team this year, Kimberly back to old self def. a possibility) kris Davis who would have hit 40+ homers this year (last year he was injured), and a player in my opinion is dam close to Trevor story this year and it’s neck and neck imo , people forget Harper has been a 1st round pick in many years and in many many drafts, he had a better second half last year for his new team, let’s see what happens but Don’t be shocked if Harper > story this year , story going to lose arnanado driving him in as well once he gets traded and also Trevor story isn’t a 300 avg hitter his sabermetrics have him around 270 , but hey that’s why there wolves 🐺 and sheep 🐑 in fantasy , wolves win the ships 

Edited by Brye
3 hours ago, Brye said:

Not sure why everyone so down on them, high stakes adp from premier money leagues have Strasburg going 10-14 spots ahead of Alvarez, also go trey mencini who should be ready with the corona lay-off, his adp was around 100, so I got stars 26adp and mencini 100 adp for Yordan 39 adp

Got 2 closers both should be solid to potentially great top 8 upside (angels great team this year, Kimberly back to old self def. a possibility) kris Davis who would have hit 40+ homers this year (last year he was injured), and a player in my opinion is dam close to Trevor story this year and it’s neck and neck imo , people forget Harper has been a 1st round pick in many years and in many many drafts, he had a better second half last year for his new team, let’s see what happens but Don’t be shocked if Harper > story this year , story going to lose arnanado driving him in as well once he gets traded and also Trevor story isn’t a 300 avg hitter his sabermetrics have him around 270 , but hey that’s why there wolves 🐺 and sheep 🐑 in fantasy , wolves win the ships 

If you ask for help.

Accept the replies.

You can disagree.

But it's a bad idea imo, to make a trade, then kind of RIP those who dont like it.

• Like 2

Was expecting a mixed bag result , but it is what it is lol I thank you all for replying.

yall do know last year Bryce Harper was a top 12 pick, and story was a top 25 pick?

kris Davis was a top 45 pick (injures all of last year with a injury that def affected him)

kimbrel top 5 closer all of his career, signed super late last year did t get a chance to get in reps obviously

But yeah I guess we will see, I just think a lot of you go based of consensus rankings in here and a lot of you dont realize it changes every year

based off track records alone I believe I won these trades pretty easily , lots of y’all are way to high on story by the way, too much for my liking  

I trade story and get a top 12 player Harper,a top 45 player Davis, top 5 closer, and a top 15 closer, based off last years rabking for the 1st 3 players, yeah It was a no brainer trade for me just was curious to see what some of y’all had to say

On 3/27/2020 at 10:33 AM, Brye said:

After losing Syndergaard for the year I made two big trades to shake things up 

how ow did I do overall? Sucks losing a main piece do to injury so I felt I had to make somebody happen with trades....

This is the issue, why you felt you had to jettison your team due to one SP injury? Before the start of a delayed season, I might add. Your evaluations of Harper vs Story aside, players don't gain value by virtue of you owning them. Even if he is better, you don't have a suitable replacement at SS to offset the loss of those stats. Further, you gave McCutchen away, who was your best 3rd OFer (Puig still unsigned) and added another UTIL only player in Davis to further clog up that spot next to Nelson Cruz. Your roster construction is not good, because now an injury at IF (how you have no backups at any of those spots) or OF will really have you scrambling. Also, closers are not hard to come by, and you're gambling a bit on two mid-tier guys. I'm sorry if it feels we're ganging up on you, but try to take away what is constructive. In my view, there was no need to make moves on this scale. Getting a pitcher would have been easy enough in another deal, and waiting on a FA closer was your original strategy at draft day...so why all of a sudden the need to acquire 2? I hope it works out for you, but I'm honestly mystified you'd make such a drastic change preseason.

Don’t agree with your assessment of closers for THIS season, in a regular 162 game season yeah I would have to agree , but when the season is likely to be 80-100 games there’s what half the time or less to find closers of the wire , that takes time and this season there not much of that at all to play then closer caracole, closers value get a bump up easily because of this . 

Strasburg is not just a pitcher I think we all can agree he’s a top 10, Yordan a knees problems don’t seem to be going away either

it sure why your saying McCutchen is my 3rd best OF, last time I checked it goes Harper, andrew benditnni, Puig (he will signs especially with this lay-off), and trey Marcini, McCutchen would be my 5th best OF unless you can argue he’s better than Marcini which at this point in his career in beyond laughable.  Marcini always been a 300+ hitter in the minors, and the lower is legit .  Marcini a top 100 player while McCutchen a top 200

anyway amed Rosario is better than you think, it will sure be funny when you find your how good he really is this year, check his post all star break numbers and he’s going to take a big step this year

On 3/28/2020 at 4:04 AM, Arrowhead said:

Who was your first round pick I can’t even tell. Unless this is dynasty

Funny 😄 

didnt you just trade your mookie betts and Devers for Yelich....... what the league size 2 people?

On 3/28/2020 at 12:41 PM, Brye said:

Don’t agree with your assessment of closers for THIS season, in a regular 162 game season yeah I would have to agree , but when the season is likely to be 80-100 games there’s what half the time or less to find closers of the wire , that takes time and this season there not much of that at all to play then closer caracole, closers value get a bump up easily because of this . 

Strasburg is not just a pitcher I think we all can agree he’s a top 10, Yordan a knees problems don’t seem to be going away either

it sure why your saying McCutchen is my 3rd best OF, last time I checked it goes Harper, andrew benditnni, Puig (he will signs especially with this lay-off), and trey Marcini, McCutchen would be my 5th best OF unless you can argue he’s better than Marcini which at this point in his career in beyond laughable.  Marcini always been a 300+ hitter in the minors, and the lower is legit .  Marcini a top 100 player while McCutchen a top 200

anyway amed Rosario is better than you think, it will sure be funny when you find your how good he really is this year, check his post all star break numbers and he’s going to take a big step this year

It seems to me like you know that you overreacted, and that you posted here to get approval so you could feel better and maybe be convinced that you didn’t do that badly. Instead everyone is saying that you overreacted and now you’re upset that you messed up with those trades so trying to convince yourself it’s not that bad by arguing.

A shortened season doesn’t suddenly make closers more valuable. If anything they’re less valuable, because now closers have shorter leashes and they get less saves, so even an average closer can be elite if he avoids falling apart and a guy who normally would get more chances, is going to lose his job quicker. Why do you need to look for future closers? Stash and be smart. 

I don’t think we all agree that Strasburg is top 10. I remember how he couldn’t stay healthy or consistent and just had a great contract year. I question him repeating it. Alvarez is younger and will likely have a more productive fantasy year. 

I guess you missed Mancini’s recent health issue and aren’t aware of lingering issues from those types of surgeries. McCutchen shouldn’t be slept on like that. He could have a better year than Mancini. In fact that’s what Steamer and all other projection systems say, so you’re the only one laughing. 

As far as Amed Rosario goes, I guess you know more than respected projection systems. I’d trust you on that but you can’t even spell half your player’s names properly. You needlessly downgraded in multiple positions. 

Edited by Thenewwildone8
On 3/28/2020 at 12:16 PM, Brye said:

Was expecting a mixed bag result , but it is what it is lol I thank you all for replying.

yall do know last year Bryce Harper was a top 12 pick, and story was a top 25 pick?

kris Davis was a top 45 pick (injures all of last year with a injury that def affected him)

kimbrel top 5 closer all of his career, signed super late last year did t get a chance to get in reps obviously

But yeah I guess we will see, I just think a lot of you go based of consensus rankings in here and a lot of you dont realize it changes every year

based off track records alone I believe I won these trades pretty easily , lots of y’all are way to high on story by the way, too much for my liking  

I trade story and get a top 12 player Harper,a top 45 player Davis, top 5 closer, and a top 15 closer, based off last years rabking for the 1st 3 players, yeah It was a no brainer trade for me just was curious to see what some of y’all had to say

Harper

2018: .249/.393/.496

2019: .260/.372/.510

Story

2018: .291/.348/.567

2019: .294/.363/.554

It’s pretty obvious that Story is better than Harper. There’s literally no reason to think otherwise. Who cares who was going 25 or who was going 12, when the last 2 years Story was significantly more valuable then Harper. Story isn’t overrated, Harper is.

11 hours ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

Harper

2018: .249/.393/.496

2019: .260/.372/.510

Story

2018: .291/.348/.567

2019: .294/.363/.554

It’s pretty obvious that Story is better than Harper. There’s literally no reason to think otherwise. Who cares who was going 25 or who was going 12, when the last 2 years Story was significantly more valuable then Harper. Story isn’t overrated, Harper is.

You do realize story isn’t a true 300 hitter? He’s more around the 270 range, you also realize Harper is going to crush it this year ? 

9 hours ago, Brye said:

You do realize story isn’t a true 300 hitter? He’s more around the 270 range, you also realize Harper is going to crush it this year ? 

That makes no sense at all. He literally hit close to .300 for 2 straight years. What more do you want? Not one projection system has picked Harper to be better than him going forward.

Even if Story’s BA regresses, Harper is a significantly worse contact hitter. Harper is going to “crush it” this year? What does that even mean? Based on the last few years and his advanced metrics this is the player that he is going to be forward. I honestly feel that you’re just grabbing at straws at this point. You made a bad trade. It’s not the end of the world, you still have a chance in your league. 

Edited by Thenewwildone8
10 hours ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

That makes no sense at all. He literally hit close to .300 for 2 straight years. What more do you want? Not one projection system has picked Harper to be better than him going forward.

Even if Story’s BA regresses, Harper is a significantly worse contact hitter. Harper is going to “crush it” this year? What does that even mean? Based on the last few years and his advanced metrics this is the player that he is going to be forward. I honestly feel that you’re just grabbing at straws at this point. You made a bad trade. It’s not the end of the world, you still have a chance in your league. 

Bro I got a 2nd rounder , 2 top 10-20 closers, and kris Davis who will hoot 40+ homers for Story and Doolittle , easy win for me  if Harper outscores story I crushed it, if kimbrel is back to top 10 form and Harper puts up another year like last and Davis hits 49 hrs I crush it

20 hours ago, Brye said:

“You do realize Story isn’t going to do what he’s been doing, and Harper is going to do what he hasn’t done in 6 years, right?”

Hey Nostradamus...you got taken to the woodshed in these deals. Hope they bought you dinner and a drink first at least 😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

• Like 1

Look, you are entitled to your own evaluations of players. The numbers are there and are objective. Certainly Harper's appeal is the tantalizing memory of his MVP season when he hit .330, but that was an outlier season clearly and the main reason why he is still ranked in the top 30. He could still hit .300 but that would be a ceiling, whereas Story's floor is closer to .280 and with more power and steals. But you like Bryce, I get it. You think he's going to have a better season than Story. That's fine. You're missing out on the point of the advice, which is people questioning your roster construction by downgrading, lack of shopping for counter offers, etc.

You can trade anyone in a fantasy league if it makes your team better. These moves did not, and you are continuing to ignore some of the sage advice you've been offered. It might feel like people are criticizing you unfairly, but they are valid points and not meant to make you feel stupid. You should learn from the multitude of mistakes you made in these deals, if you wish to ever get better at fantasy sports. Being able to admit a mistake as a manger is one of those skills. This is a simple reference article to help you:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/ignoring-bryce-harpers-mvp-season/

Edited by Richard Kimble
4 hours ago, Brye said:

Bro I got a 2nd rounder , 2 top 10-20 closers, and kris Davis who will hoot 40+ homers for Story and Doolittle , easy win for me  if Harper outscores story I crushed it, if kimbrel is back to top 10 form and Harper puts up another year like last and Davis hits 49 hrs I crush it

You traded a first rounder and didn’t get one back. Got a closer who is coming off this line from last year: 6.53 ERA/8.00 FIP/4.75 xFIP and another one with no track record and a 3.89 xFIP, oh and he was terrible in ST. Fangraphs projects Cutch for a 2.2 fWAR and Davis for a 1.4 one. 

4 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

“You do realize Story isn’t going to do what he’s been doing, and Harper is going to do what he hasn’t done in 6 years, right?”

Hey Nostradamus...you got taken to the woodshed in these deals. Hope they bought you dinner and a drink first at least 😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

Lmao you just won this thread 😂. Also I hope they didn’t buy him that dinner at McDonald’s.

Edited by Thenewwildone8
  • Like 1