NBC Sports Edge Forums

Heard some talks of an NFL all-decade team and wanted to see what the MLB team would look like. For this I simply used fWAR 2010-2019 to create a 1st and 2nd team. 

1st Team

C- Posey

1B- Votto

2B- Cano

SS- Tulowitzki

3B- A.Beltre

OF- Trout

OF- McCutchen

OF-Stanton

SP- Kershaw

SP- Verlander

SP- Scherzer

RP- A.Chapman

2nd Team

C- Y. Molina

1B- M.Cabrera

2B- B.Zobrist

SS- Lindor

3B- Donaldson

OF- Mookie

OF- Bryce

OF- Yelich

SP- Sale

SP- Greinke

SP- Price

RP- K.Jansen

I was surprised at Tulo being the top SS, and Ben Zobrist at 2B (though I know WAR loves him). I would put Kinsler or Altuve in his spot. A few that just missed:

Goldschmidt

Longoria

J.LuCroy

J.Bautista

Kinsler

Altuve

Who would you change? 

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, Jyeatbvg said:

Surprised Yelich is there considering he didn't enter the league until 2013 (I think) and his pre-breakout years weren't anything to write home about.

Yes. Impressive that Yelich (920 games) and Mookie (794 games) amassed almost as much WAR as a guy like Stanton (1162 games).

7 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

How about adding a DH? Cruz and EE?

I thought about it. Was going to do any hitter at all, because one that shocked me was 12th OVERALL was Evan Longoria, who didn’t make either team because he was behind Beltre and Donaldson. Probably deserves a nod. Same with Goldy, 11th overall but behind Votto and Miggy. 

1 minute ago, Backdoor Slider said:

I thought about it. Was going to do any hitter at all, because one that shocked me was 12th OVERALL was Evan Longoria, who didn’t make either team because he was behind Beltre and Donaldson. Probably deserves a nod. Same with Goldy, 11th overall but behind Votto and Miggy. 

I like adding Goldy for sure. 

• Like 1

Cutch is a bit of a surprise too.  I'd always considered him as "Great" but not a "SuperStar", but 146+ Games Played every year from 09-19 certainly gives opportunity to accumulate value.

I recall a WHILE where Tulo was SS #1 with a bullet, what with Coors and everything, and given that Fantasy stats do dovetail with War and Tulo was 81st all time in DWar it's not surprising that he'd have the most overall from the period.

If you wanna do fantasy all-decade by taking out the defensive aspect, players like Braun, Cruz, and Freeman start to crack the top 10. Four of the top six are 1B. But the most amazing part is Trout being 150 offensive points ahead of the second ranked player, despite playing 200 less games. I'm kinda surprised votto is ahead of miggy.

On 4/14/2020 at 9:09 PM, pbjfb said:

If you wanna do fantasy all-decade by taking out the defensive aspect, players like Braun, Cruz, and Freeman start to crack the top 10. Four of the top six are 1B. But the most amazing part is Trout being 150 offensive points ahead of the second ranked player, despite playing 200 less games. I'm kinda surprised votto is ahead of miggy.

It's just sort of hard to get your head around how good Trout is, at least for me.  Especially in this era, when the the talent pool for baseball is so big.  If you consider the fact that guys with most body types can get to MLB, (It generally helps to be bigger but it's not a freak show), the number of people you have to beat out to be the best is probably only higher in soccer and maybe cricket, I guess, because of India.  And nobody's really close to him.  Every year someone comes up with a couple new ways of describing his performance and I'm like, "Jesus."  

• 2 months later...