NBC Sports Edge Forums

Cooper Kupp 2020 Outlook

On 8/9/2020 at 11:42 PM, PlayTheWaivers said:

Agree that he's the better guy to have over Woods, but it still comes with risk of offensive tweaks. 

This definitely is not true in PPR leagues. Woods sees way more target volume. I own Kupp, and I'd rather have Woods. Kupp of course has a higher ceiling, but lower floor as well. I don't think either bust.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Drop. City

No he didn't. He said that he would rather have Kupp on his dynasty fantasy roster, while saying nothing about one player being better than the other. You're putting a lot of words into peoples'

Man I've been looking all over the goddamn internet and finally found the Julio Jones thread. Would be nice if the mods fixed the title though

10 minutes ago, CamNewton said:

This definitely is not true in PPR leagues. Woods sees way more target volume. I own Kupp, and I'd rather have Woods. Kupp of course has a higher ceiling, but lower floor as well. I don't think either bust.

Woods had 5 more targets than kupp last year and a few less receptions and yards. Stats were almost identical actually. The main disparity is TDs where kupp is clearly ahead. 

• Like 1

Would this impact Week 1 status and he gets IR designation.

I have both Kupp and Woods in one of my money leagues. I like Kupp but Woods has hype, could not decide between both.

Does this mean Woods is WR1 for Week 1?

59 minutes ago, zen25 said:

Would this impact Week 1 status and he gets IR designation.

IR has major consequences, it means out for the season; a team can have one player "IR designated to return" which lets him get back after 8 weeks.

Kupp would probably be Q (questionable) only to turn to O (Out) at the last moment. Players designated with O can also go in the IR spot (this is probably what you meant) but it can be pretty maddening to have a guy like him on Q for most of the week.

1 hour ago, zen25 said:

Does this mean Woods is WR1 for Week 1?

He should probably be their main target with Higbee/Everett; they might bring Van Jefferson a bit early and even Akers could get a bit more work. Red zone should shift to the TEs. But yes, your Woods could have a slight uptick in use.

• Like 1

"McVay didn't even call this an injury and fully expects him to participate in all Week 1 activities. It keeps Kupp in the WR2 mix in late fantasy drafts alongside Robert Woods. With the Rams expected to pass the ball at near league-high rates, there's a path to both Kupp and Woods posting top-20 fantasy seasons in 2020. Kupp just may have to play more snaps outside if the Rams up their two-tight end set usage"

It's official. Kupp isn't just the most underrated player in fantasy, he's the most underrated player in the history of fantasy football. In the WR2 mix?! Bro, wtf? Are Hopkins, Keenan Allen, Golladay, and ARob back end WR3s.

If Kupp isn't a top 12 WR in terms of PPR points per game*, I'll delete my account.

*Assuming nothing crazy happens like a serious Goff injury, a trade to the Bears, Kupp playing through a devastating injury himself, etc.

• Like 3
16 hours ago, ajs723 said:

"McVay didn't even call this an injury and fully expects him to participate in all Week 1 activities. It keeps Kupp in the WR2 mix in late fantasy drafts alongside Robert Woods. With the Rams expected to pass the ball at near league-high rates, there's a path to both Kupp and Woods posting top-20 fantasy seasons in 2020. Kupp just may have to play more snaps outside if the Rams up their two-tight end set usage"

It's official. Kupp isn't just the most underrated player in fantasy, he's the most underrated player in the history of fantasy football. In the WR2 mix?! Bro, wtf? Are Hopkins, Keenan Allen, Golladay, and ARob back end WR3s.

If Kupp isn't a top 12 WR in terms of PPR points per game*, I'll delete my account.

*Assuming nothing crazy happens like a serious Goff injury, a trade to the Bears, Kupp playing through a devastating injury himself, etc.

I mean...he went for $26 in our auction, so I don't think he's underrated at all. No one likes to see preseason injuries nor hear coaches brush off injuries, especially with a guy who tore his ACL 1.5 years ago. 

Kupp needs the slot to thrive- they better run 11 personnel more than they did last year. And I think they will considering Rams D isn't anything special. It's up to Goff to sustain drives and be up for the task, as well as Akers / RBs to actually pose a threat.

1 hour ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

I mean...he went for $26 in our auction, so I don't think he's underrated at all. No one likes to see preseason injuries nor hear coaches brush off injuries, especially with a guy who tore his ACL 1.5 years ago. 

Kupp needs the slot to thrive- they better run 11 personnel more than they did last year. And I think they will considering Rams D isn't anything special. It's up to Goff to sustain drives and be up for the task, as well as Akers / RBs to actually pose a threat.

Tore his ACL a year and a half ago, lol.

What did he do last year after the injury? Oh yeah, he was a top 5 WR. How about the season prior, before he got hurt? Oh yeah, top 5 WR.

Dude is a top end WR1. He's probably the best route runner in the entire league (it's either Kupp or Allen), he's probably the best redzone threat in the league, and he's one of the best YAC players in the league.

PPR WR1. Full stop.

• Like 2

McVay denied to call this an ankle sprain.  Term used was 'soreness'.  Does anyone know which leg?  Just drafted him in one league right after the initial news broke.  Starting to be concerned about this lingering or turn into something bigger.

1 minute ago, Panthers8912 said:

Everyone should be fading kupp regardless of whether he’s injured or not . Played like 50% of snaps to end the season, just isn’t very good. Easy fade 

I want to trade him. They are likely staying with 12-man package. Probably their rookie will be in the 2WR sets.

3 hours ago, Panthers8912 said:

Everyone should be fading kupp regardless of whether he’s injured or not . Played like 50% of snaps to end the season, just isn’t very good. Easy fade 

this isn’t very accurate. In 5 of his last 8 games he was above 90% snap count. All year he was kinda sporadic in snap count

in his first 8 games he had 2 Outings less than 70% snap count (in the 60s) and 4 games over 90% 

in the last 8 games he had 3 games less than 70% snap count  with one of them being and anomaly of 27% and the other 2 in the 60%

I won’t knock anyone for fading him but when he plays all he does is put up fantasy points so I’m still in on him until he proves me other wise. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Panthers8912 said:

You're right, he's not very good. He's elite. 

3 hours ago, Stonej14 said:

this isn’t very accurate. In 5 of his last 8 games he was above 90% snap count. All year he was kinda sporadic in snap count

in his first 8 games he had 2 Outings less than 70% snap count (in the 60s) and 4 games over 90% 

in the last 8 games he had 3 games less than 70% snap count  with one of them being and anomaly of 27% and the other 2 in the 60%

I won’t knock anyone for fading him but when he plays all he does is put up fantasy points so I’m still in on him until he proves me other wise. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KuppCo00/fantasy/2019

still pretty accurate. I said “to end the season” not “in the second half of the season” 

I just did the math and over the last 5 games of the year kupp averaged a 63% snap rate. That’s not good. Not sure why you even brought up the first 8 games. Maybe we should look at his snaps from 2018 too? The rams are fading him out 

12 minutes ago, Panthers8912 said:

Took too long so I can’t edit my post, but here’s more evidence as to why you shouldn’t be drafting kupp:

This was true of Kupp going into last season, and he finished as a top 5 WR. So, yeah. This is the kind of stat that looks neat, but frankly, I don't give a damn. 

25 minutes ago, Panthers8912 said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KuppCo00/fantasy/2019

still pretty accurate. I said “to end the season” not “in the second half of the season” 

I just did the math and over the last 5 games of the year kupp averaged a 63% snap rate. That’s not good. Not sure why you even brought up the first 8 games. Maybe we should look at his snaps from 2018 too? The rams are fading him out 

the last 5 games averages out to 63% because of the anomaly that is a 27% snap rate game that only happened once in 2 years. Without that game the snap rate is just over 70% over the last 4 games. Maybe the 27% game isn’t an anomaly. I believe that it is becuase it’s the only time he was that low going back 2 years. Even in the games he got injured last year he was above 27% but I guess A person could take this one game and use it to bolster a “phasing out” narrative but I don’t think it’s true. I think it’s more likely he was getting nicked up little injuries and mcvay was trying to rest him but that’s just my opinion based on no evidence lol.

I brought up the first half of the season to show that he had lower snap counts before the “end of the season”. It would be one thing to say he had a 90% snap count for 13 weeks then at the “end of the season” he dipped down but that’s not accurate. He had mostly up weeks peppered with a few lower weeks here and there throughout the whole year and yes 2 of them came towards the “end of the season” along with one game that I believe is an outlier.

Ya see what I’m saying bud?

At the end of the day, Kupp is a WR1. Had Woods hit pay-dirt a few more times he could have been in the conversation. I'm not comparing players here, but I am only comparing their volatility. Woods is Godwin and Kupp is Evans. Both great players but you have to evaluate what you are looking for consistency or a higher ceiling?! The trade off with a guy like Kupp is going to be his floor. I don't mind that because it is head to head, so you take your lumps when they come.

Edited by FitzMagic
27 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

This was true of Kupp going into last season, and he finished as a top 5 WR. So, yeah. This is the kind of stat that looks neat, but frankly, I don't give a damn. 

yea I don’t really care about any of that either. I remember they once had Willie Snead in like 90% in every category. So does that mean he should be a stud WR1?

honestly I don’t think kupp is a very talented player. But he has his role and he’s good at it. Mcvay schemes him open and Goff loves to throw it to him and for the past 2 years 95% of the games he has played in your happy with in fantasy so Im fine with drafting him. 

2018 he was the WR2 until he got hurt 

2019 he was the WR5 end of season

2020 buyer beware? 

1 minute ago, FitzMagic said:

At the end of the day, Kupp is a WR1. Had Woods hit pay-dirt a few more times he could have been in the conversation. I'm not comparing players here, but I am only comparing their volatility. Woods is Godwin and Kupp is Evans. Both great players but you have to evaluate what you are looking for consistency or a higher ceiling?!

I always thought of them as like Adam theilen and stefon diggs myself. 

• Like 1