NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ryquell Armstead 2020 Outlook

I feel like this dude is flying under the radar big time. Fournette played in 15 games last year, but that's a rarity. Seems like a good bet to miss time this year. In Armstead's 1 start last year he caught 5 passes for 52 yards and a TD. Kid is talented and a good receiver so he has 3 down potential in the event Fournette gets hurt. Probably my favorite backup at RB.

• Like 1
  • Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just grabbed him, but I feel more like 

No he’s not. Thompsons role barely changes. In 7 years dude has 250 carries with a max of 68. He isn’t suddenly going to get a ton of carries. 

Or worse.....the common flu

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Geaux Saints said:

I feel like this dude is flying under the radar big time. Fournette played in 15 games last year, but that's a rarity. Seems like a good bet to miss time this year. In Armstead's 1 start last year he caught 5 passes for 52 yards and a TD. Kid is talented and a good receiver so he has 3 down potential in the event Fournette gets hurt. Probably my favorite backup at RB.

i like ryquell armstead, but i don’t see him as flying under the radar. really, he ain’t flying at all: jacksonville is one of the few teams that employs a bellcow, and fournette showed increased conditioning and a complete lack of on and off-the-field drama (big area of growth for him). i like armstead as a dynasty stash, but in re-draft there are backups i’m targeting in latter rounds:

kareem hunt

alexander mattison

tony pollard

justice hill or gus edwards

i’d take any of those guys. hunt and mattison looked exceptional last season. and also we have the 50/50 or 60/40 or 70/30 splits where if one guy goes down, the other RB cashes in:

austin ekeler / justin jackson

melvin gordon / phillip lindsay

chris carson / rashad penny

at this point, i don’t see ryquell armstead getting drafted outside of last-round handcuff for your fournette, or a late dart in best ball. my two cents.

• Like 1

He was far more proficient at catching the ball then could have been figured after seeing limited usage in that area in college.

He def has the size/frame, and between tackles power to be a starter in the league. I see a little Chris Carson in his game.

I agree with the poster above, he is a best ball late round priority and great dynasty target as LF enters the last year of his contract. A Top 5 redraft handcuff.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't play best ball but, if I did, would be pounding this guy right now.  JAX is clearly in rebuild mode.  They've added some nice new pieces to the defense that last 2 off seasons and should be looking at one of the top QB's (Lawrence, Fields, Jamie Newman) in the 2021 draft - unless Minshew plays lights out in 2020.  Jax has clearly soured on Fournette and he does not appear to be in their future plans.  The team will probably either trade or release him before the season starts.

Ryquell showed well in spot relief last season (better receiving skills than expected) and would look to be their featured back if/when Fournette is moved.  Great guy to target now IMO before a major move with Fournette is made. 

• Like 1

I don’t know how Ryquell isn’t the #1 sleeper heading into the season. Fournette isn’t going to play a down for Jax this year, they hate each other. That leaves Armstead and Ozigbo right now, and I feel pretty good about Armstead getting most of the touches. The OL sucks but this is a volume game. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, bigmarc27 said:

I don’t know how Ryquell isn’t the #1 sleeper heading into the season. Fournette isn’t going to play a down for Jax this year, they hate each other. That leaves Armstead and Ozigbo right now, and I feel pretty good about Armstead getting most of the touches. The OL sucks but this is a volume game. 

Eh, not so sure.  LF turned things around last year and proved a steady if not spectacular contributor.  Unlike Yannick, he hasn’t called out the team (or owner) for failing to trade him.  And he’s been participating this far in the voluntary virtual off-season program.  Given that they (apparently) haven’t received a single offer for him, I see no reason they won’t ride him until the wheels fall off - again - next season.

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...
On 4/29/2020 at 4:22 PM, bigmarc27 said:

Good call 

• Like 6
1 minute ago, mulhollandvelvet said:

You have to think they will bring in a Devante Freeman or Ajayi. 

I thought that at first but the Jaguars are not looking to compete this year. It would make more sense for them to see what they have in the young guys 

• Like 2
57 minutes ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

how many easy catches did Fournette get from Minshew last year? A lot. It shouldn't take much for Armstead to be valuable in PPR this year, even though it's clear they are tanking.

Personally, I don't think they are tanking.  I think they had very little confidence in Fournette.  I heard an interesting stat the other day that Fournette was the only back to receive 100% of carries inside the 5 yard line, yet still only garnered 3 rushing tds on the season.  I think they see Armstead as an upgrade.  

6 minutes ago, mikeflavaz said:

Personally, I don't think they are tanking.  I think they had very little confidence in Fournette.  I heard an interesting stat the other day that Fournette was the only back to receive 100% of carries inside the 5 yard line, yet still only garnered 3 rushing tds on the season.  I think they see Armstead as an upgrade.  

There is a UFA and some other JAG on the depth chart. I think they'll give Armstead every opportunity to be the guy getting the carries. He may even get an uptick in the passing game when Chris Thompson eventually gets injured. It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out.

2 minutes ago, PisEdiRin said:

Chris Thompson is the #1 Back to have in JAX, not Armstead.

In PPR, yes. I have both and really don't have an excited feeling about it. Not like Chris Thompson is a three-down guy and he's proven to be glass over his career.

• Like 2

Yeah the UDFA is James Robinson in JAX, and he has had a standout camp. Thompson has the PPR value (until he gets injured) and Ozigbo has some decent skills too. This might be a messy committee/rotation until something shakes itself out.

Thompson garners like 6-10 touches a game.  I see him as a poor man's James White or Tarik Cohen, especially accounting for his age and brittleness.

I think Ryquell was groomed as Lenny's backup, at least I remember two years ago (?) when that was the talk.  

At this point, if you need to rely on a Jags RB to save your team, you are in trouble.  But I'll gladly roster Ryquell right now at least until the season begins to see what shakes out.  Drop your kicker if you have to and pick this guy up.  Your kicker will likely be there on the day before the season starts.  Ryquell will not.

• Like 1