NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ryquell Armstead 2020 Outlook

Jags are going to bring in a cheaper RB. Guss Edwards was rumored to be coming over when the Jags were trying to trade Yannick Ngakoue. Freeman claims he wants to play for a winner.

The issues with Fournette, besides his talent, were also the game scripts and Thompson hogging all the receptions. The Jags have the lowest win total prediction in the league. They will be playing from behind, which further hinders whoever is the primary rusher.

Unless you are in greater than 12 team league or large benches, this event is no news.

• Haha 1
  • Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just grabbed him, but I feel more like 

No he’s not. Thompsons role barely changes. In 7 years dude has 250 carries with a max of 68. He isn’t suddenly going to get a ton of carries. 

Or worse.....the common flu

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, mar1kle said:

Jags are going to bring in a cheaper RB. Guss Edwards was rumored to be coming over when the Jags were trying to trade Yannick Ngakoue. Freeman claims he wants to play for a winner.

The issues with Fournette, besides his talent, were also the game scripts and Thompson hogging all the receptions. The Jags have the lowest win total prediction in the league. They will be playing from behind, which further hinders whoever is the primary rusher.

Unless you are in greater than 12 team league or large benches, this event is no news.

Missed out on Armstead? 

• Haha 6
1 minute ago, Gohawks said:

No he’s not.

Thompsons role barely changes. In 7 years dude has 250 carries with a max of 68. He isn’t suddenly going to get a ton of carries. 

Every year with this guy 🤣. He's made of glass and he was only a good flex option when Guice was out of the picture. He was not challenging even AD for carries in Washington. People will never learn. I'd roll the dice on Armstead, but it is a crap-shoot at this point. Nobody knows anything on the carries. What we do know is Thompson will be third down back as usual and he willl get injured. That's all we really know. Oh, and like you said, we know he is not a bell-cow or in a position where he'd be anything more than a RB3/Flex.

2 hours ago, alexcuse said:

what range of RB's is he worth drafting now?

It's hard to say because the news is so fresh. If you are drafting today I would say around the Pollard, Lat Murray, Chase Edmonds area. That way if the Jags end up bringing someone else in you can cut bait without a problem. If you are drafting this weekend and reports say Armstead is the guy maybe he gets bumped up to the James White, Kerryon, Lindsey range.

2 hours ago, mar1kle said:

Was available...not worth a roster spot

He's not worth cutting your kicker for just to see if he's going to become a thing?

I heard one talking head say Ryquell is going to be a top 25 back.  I don't necessarily agree that high, but who really knows at this point?  You've got every "fantasy expert" tweeting out their video takes on this news, and the only people who really know are the Jags brass.  And even they probably don't know.

Deciding that somebody "isn't worth the roster spot" in the preseason is short sighted, but I guess for those that play in an 8 or 10 teamer, then sure, no need to bother.  The mere fact that we are in this thread means that we have some interest in what develops here.

10 minutes ago, CooL said:

He's not worth cutting your kicker for just to see if he's going to become a thing?

I heard one talking head say Ryquell is going to be a top 25 back.  I don't necessarily agree that high, but who really knows at this point?  You've got every "fantasy expert" tweeting out their video takes on this news, and the only people who really know are the Jags brass.  And even they probably don't know.

Deciding that somebody "isn't worth the roster spot" in the preseason is short sighted, but I guess for those that play in an 8 or 10 teamer, then sure, no need to bother.  The mere fact that we are in this thread means that we have some interest in what develops here.

I added Armstead in a couple of leagues but wouldn't be surprised at all if the Jaguars sign a free agent or trade for someone to be the starter.  

13 minutes ago, mulhollandvelvet said:

It's hard to say because the news is so fresh. If you are drafting today I would say around the Pollard, Lat Murray, Chase Edmonds area. That way if the Jags end up bringing someone else in you can cut bait without a problem. If you are drafting this weekend and reports say Armstead is the guy maybe he gets bumped up to the James White, Kerryon, Lindsey range.

I highly doubt they bring in anyone. They’re in full tank mode so it doesn’t make sense to sign a veteran back.

Armstead is a starting NFL RB. Now he’s in the damn bottom tier of starting NFL RBs but just being one has a lot of value.

Also, I think people may be sleeping on his potential a bit. He’s build like a legit NFL bellcow and the man ran a 4.45. Watching some of his tape and he has a pretty incredible second gear especially for a guy that’s 220. There’s for sure some flaws in his game especially vision but the potential is for sure there. He honestly isn’t some “meh” boring backup that’ll just plodder to stats based on volume. At 220 with a 4.45 40 that clearly pops watching his tape there’s for sure potential for him to put together some nice games and break some massive runs.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, CooL said:

The issue is the role (not the player) is not worthy of a spot.

I try to focus the end of by bench on high upside guys. This role's upside is capped.

22 minutes ago, mar1kle said:

The issue is the role (not the player) is not worthy of a spot.

I try to focus the end of by bench on high upside guys. This role's upside is capped.

How is this roles upside capped? The role is pretty good.

First, Armstead has the lock on all the GL carries. Thompson is like 195 so he doesn't have any work there.

Second, in his entire CAREER Thompson has gotten double digit carries TWICE. So Armstead has the lock on pretty much all the early down work and short yardage work for rushing.

Third, the offense is setup to be at least servicable. Minshew is a solid QB, while the offensive line isn't particularly good it's not flat out awful, and they have some decent weapons for Minshew to throw to. 

So sure the role isn't elite. Obivously it's not the Chiefs, Seahawks, Saints, or any of those upper RB roles. However, the role allows for a back to dominate all the carries and dominate all the GL work. That in itself is enough to put up RB1 production. Does Armstead have the talent to put up RB1 numbers? Probably not. However, if he doesn't it will be because he is not good enough not because the role didn't allow him to do it. 

• Like 1

Can a guy not express a negative opinion about a player's perceived value without people jumping to conclusions that the guy missed out on getting him? 

Looks like RBBC in my opinion with the Fournette news. Armstread is surely worth a shot if you have a need, but Ozigbo could end up being more valuable when all is said and done this season. And that's not factoring in whether or not the Jaguars bring in another RB as well. My two cents anyway. 

• Like 1

I suppose this guy's the favorite to lead the team in carries, but on this team, what's that really worth?   Last year we saw the Dolphins punt the season in a similar fashion, but they at least had their coach of the future in house already, and the team played their asses off for him.............and still the Dolphins had a shamefully bad rushing attack.  This Jags team is all but certain to fire everyone by January if not sooner.  

Also, no i didnt draft Armstead.............but i only had one draft so far and nobody took him

• Like 2
10 hours ago, CooL said:

Thompson garners like 6-10 touches a game.  I see him as a poor man's James White or Tarik Cohen, especially accounting for his age and brittleness.

I think Ryquell was groomed as Lenny's backup, at least I remember two years ago (?) when that was the talk.  

At this point, if you need to rely on a Jags RB to save your team, you are in trouble.  But I'll gladly roster Ryquell right now at least until the season begins to see what shakes out.  Drop your kicker if you have to and pick this guy up.  Your kicker will likely be there on the day before the season starts.  Ryquell will not.

Two years ago, Armstead was playing for Temple. :) 
But yeah, that seemed to be the talk last year. 

1 minute ago, Flyman75 said:

Two years ago, Armstead was playing for Temple. :) 
But yeah, that seemed to be the talk last year. 

Ah yes. Covid gets all the timelines confused. So I guess it was last year. I actually owned Lenny in a few places last year and do remember wanting to cuff him with Ryquell but never did. 
I’ve now seen in a number of places that Ryquell is a top 30 back, so that’s an RB3. Not going to get much for him by dangling him in a trade since we got him for free, so might as well hold on and see what happens.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, CooL said:

Ah yes. Covid gets all the timelines confused. So I guess it was last year. I actually owned Lenny in a few places last year and do remember wanting to cuff him with Ryquell but never did. 
I’ve now seen in a number of places that Ryquell is a top 30 back, so that’s an RB3. Not going to get much for him by dangling him in a trade since we got him for free, so might as well hold on and see what happens.

His value isn’t that high because he is an unknown talent on a bad team. There’s no point in trading him. If he puts up something like 20/100/1 in week 1 that’s when you can sell high but as of now his value is low.