Ryquell Armstead 2020 Outlook

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just grabbed him, but I feel more like 

No he’s not. Thompsons role barely changes. In 7 years dude has 250 carries with a max of 68. He isn’t suddenly going to get a ton of carries. 

Or worse.....the common flu

Posted Images

54 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

“CT25 is likely going to be the only RB that's worthy of being rosterable IMO. Ryquell needs a lot of work and is AWOL at the time he needs to get it in the most. Ozigbo is slow, but very efficient.  I could see Ozigbo starting the season getting all the GL work and early down work and Ryquell fights him for that as the season progresses. Problem with this team is there's no value in 5-7 goal line carries in 4 games (because there's no guarantee those are automatic TDs) and Ozigbo is not a guy that's much of a threat to break out a 50 yard TD.  Ryquell IS for sure, dude's fast and violent, but I mean, how many carries can yall truly see him getting by EOS without catastrophic injuries all around?  I see MAX 100-125. The back receiving the passing down work when this team is down 3 scores at half time is the only guy worth owning more than likely.  And He's the guy with the easiest name to spell.“

My instinct was to add Armstead & I did get him in one league. I agree with others who view Ozigbo as his main competition for carries. Chris Thompson is a 5’8” sub-200lb player who is going turn 30 in October. Teensie-tiny catch radius, can’t consistently add depth to the pattern or help sell run action up inside for them or block, none of that. It’s either the ball in his hands or he isn’t helping you. He’s going to be some high-end production, 150-touch player?  Washington didn’t bring him back, I don’t know that he drew much interest at all during FA. The draft came & went & what was there was to follow Gruden to Jacksonville, not unlike Eifert. His familiarity with the system is being treated like the icing, when it’s the cake. My guess would be that’s the primary reason he’s there. 

I think the tank & negative game script part isn’t read right. To ask their young QB to throw into coverage is not the way to help him develop. There’s a place for that, but better that he recognizes what he’s seeing defensively. They get down by multiple scores, they’re not trying to win, remember? When the defense backs off, take what they’re giving you, run the football. 

Edited by markrc99
  • Like 1

Yeah, but of far greater concern for everybody with a vested interest, including the team they’re playing is that nobody’s watching when the score gets that low-sided. Go ahead & run up the score? Um, no.... that costs a lot of money. We can beat this team w/o embarrassing them, let’s just do that. 

However, they’ve officially entered the Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes, accordingly. So, Minshew’s development might not be a priority.... at all. But still, they all benefit from consistently getting the offense into the right play. Everybody on the same page, the coaches, the QB, every player on offense. Just some backyard chuck around doesn’t help to establish chemistry, or how to address what defenses are subjecting them to, the best utilization of their young players. It’s not talent or just talent, structure is important. 

3 hours ago, markrc99 said:

Yeah, but of far greater concern for everybody with a vested interest, including the team they’re playing is that nobody’s watching when the score gets that low-sided. Go ahead & run up the score? Um, no.... that costs a lot of money. We can beat this team w/o embarrassing them, let’s just do that. 

However, they’ve officially entered the Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes, accordingly. So, Minshew’s development might not be a priority.... at all. But still, they all benefit from consistently getting the offense into the right play. Everybody on the same page, the coaches, the QB, every player on offense. Just some backyard chuck around doesn’t help to establish chemistry, or how to address what defenses are subjecting them to, the best utilization of their young players. It’s not talent or just talent, structure is important. 

If Minshew has a good season, I don’t think they’re playing for Lawrence...they’re playing for Sewell. I believe Minshew is underrated and Lawrence is overrated. I’d take the big franchise LT before Lawrence each and every time without hesitation. 

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

Likely going to split between Ozigbo and Armstead with CT on 3rd down. That makes the most sense, at least early on. I don't think they will commit to anyone for a few weeks.

Agree with this. CT is probably the best value, but the Jags D isn't without talent. It just has a lot of rookies to rely on 

He's not practicing again due to a non-Covid related illness.  Marrone admitted that he hasn't seen much of him in camp yet, which is not a good sign.  Just what illness do you come down with in the summer aside from Covid?  I am starting to have little faith that Armstead will work out.  He just doesn't seem to want a starting NFL job.  

Edited by mikeflavaz

I get that Ozigbo might be week 1 starter just because this guy is blowing his opportunity with the sniffles.  But from what I've read and remember, he does have a 3 down skillset whereas Ozigbo is a typical banger?  Or at least that's the opinion of the writer's I've seen?

It's hard to drop this guy because you see that Yahoo 10+ projected points (and yeah, I know, projections are meaningless).  In deep 14 team leagues, you know if you drop him, somebody will scoop him up.  But I have a feeling he might be a roster clogger and not somebody that you'll ever want to start.

He isn't worth stashing for several reasons 

1. He is presently losing his job - The best ability is availability and he has missed a third of an already truncated off season where a new offensive system is being installed. Ozigbo is probably going to start week 1 and relegate Armstead to the backup role because Armestead will need time to learn the system and get in shape after recovering form whatever is ailing him. 

2. The Jags offense will suck and Armstead is going to get the passing down work. 

3 hours ago, Sizzlebshu said:

He isn't worth stashing for several reasons 

1. He is presently losing his job - The best ability is availability and he has missed a third of an already truncated off season where a new offensive system is being installed. Ozigbo is probably going to start week 1 and relegate Armstead to the backup role because Armestead will need time to learn the system and get in shape after recovering form whatever is ailing him. 

2. The Jags offense will suck and Armstead is going to get the passing down work. 

He is worth stashing because some have deep enough benches that anyone with a chance is worth stashing. Ozigbo isn’t that good, and CT is a fragile, 30yr old, small back. Armstead isn’t a stud by any means, but it’s not like the competition is that great either. 

54 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

He is worth stashing because some have deep enough benches that anyone with a chance is worth stashing. Ozigbo isn’t that good, and CT is a fragile, 30yr old, small back. Armstead isn’t a stud by any means, but it’s not like the competition is that great either. 

I don’t get these peoples leagues. Maybe it’s a problem with how diverse leagues can be but it boggles me that he wouldn’t be worth stashing.

Looking at the waiver the best available guys in my league are like J. Richard, J. Williams, and Gore. It’s a standard 12 team league with the standard 7 bench slots. So nothing unusual either

Edited by Gohawks
  • Like 1
13 hours ago, JJ1223 said:

Man..... this is a great situation for a good value fantasy RB, but the options appear to all be bums.  Bummer.

This.  Jags had one of the most run heavy offenses a year (or two?) ago, but I don't see how they keep that same script after going from Fournette (4th overall pick) to Armstead...140th pick.  Dumpster fire.  DJ Chark time 

9 hours ago, Gohawks said:

I don’t get these peoples leagues. Maybe it’s a problem with how diverse leagues can be but it boggles me that he wouldn’t be worth stashing.

Looking at the waiver the best available guys in my league are like J. Richard, J. Williams, and Gore. It’s a standard 12 team league with the standard 7 bench slots. So nothing unusual either

What about AJ Dillon? Is he still available? Based on what he did last year with his snaps I don't see anything special about Ryquell. Better than those options you pointed out, of course.

9 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

People keep adding him on Yahoo. Everyday the news gets worse since he's not practicing. Yet, people seem to think he's the guy? I'm beginning to think it will be Ozigbo and CT.

7 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

What about AJ Dillon? Is he still available? Based on what he did last year with his snaps I don't see anything special about Ryquell. Better than those options you pointed out, of course.

I agree that it doesn't look good for Ryquell right now, at least for week 1.  People are adding him presuming that he will have the upper hand on Ozigbo once he's back up to speed and healthy.  And that he seems destined to have at least some kind of role.

AJ Dillon is consistently running behind Jamaal Williams at practice it seems.  And Jamaal is awful.  Packers beat writers on record saying to not expect much of a role for Dillon in the early going.

I don't doubt that one of these rookie backups will hit at some point during the year.  My money is on Zach Moss or Dobbins - but those guys are likely owned already.

• Like 1