NBC Sports Edge Forums

Brandin Cooks 2020 Outlook

7 minutes ago, FFCollusion said:

This forum loves to hate Brandin Cooks, has for 5 years.

Since Bill O'Brien was fired, Cooks has averaged: (Through 4 games)

9.75 targets, 6.75 catches, 93 yards, .75 TDs, and 20.55 Fantasy Points per game (1PPR)

That's a 16 game pace of 156 targets, 108 catches, 1488 yards, 12 TDs, and 328.8 Fantasy Points.
That is the 3rd best PPG average of qualifying WRs in 2020.
That would be the 2nd best WR in all of 2019, behind only Michael Thomas.

Obviously, the TDs are not sustainable, but for those who want to call this a fluke, or hate on Brandin Cooks... you've been dead wrong for 5 out of 6 years.  This guy has done it for the Saints, Patriots, Rams, and now the Texans.  At some point, you have to just bite the bullet, and realize he's a good football player.  1 down year in LA, while Kupp and Woods were breaking out, was the fluke.  The first 4 games of this year, HOU sucked.  Bill O'Brien was the clear cut change in this offense, that lead to the DIRECT turn around for Cooks.

So, either you can admit BOB held him back for 4 games in 2020 and 2019 was a fluke/combo of 2 breakout WRs, or you can say that the last 4 weeks of 2020, and the entire seasons of 2018, 2017, 2016, and 2015 were all flukes.

Your choice, but I know what side of the fence I'm on.

4 teams, 4 QBs, and 5 rock solid seasons on the real field and the fantasy field.
His 7th year in the league, he just turned 27 two months ago.

He had one decent game under O'Brien, but I agree with everything you said. If he gets another 1,000 yard season, it will have to be some kind of record to do it with 4 different teams; I've been watching to see if he can do it again. 

Edited by Silent-Trader
  • Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Everyone will be chasing those points week and he will go 2/35

doesn’t kenny stills have 7 million in guaranteed money for 2020? and doesn’t randall cobb have 18.75 million in guaranteed money coming to him? randall cobb is the slot guy. keke is a "drop" in all b

Name checks out

I dropped him and picked him back up this season because the offense just looked so bad that I didn't think it would be able to sustain 2 playable wide receivers. If DJ is out next week from that concussion, I am guessing Texans will be forced to throw a ton and Cooks and Cobb should be the beneficiary of the underneath short passes. A lot of TD potential for both Fuller and Cooks.

This guy has been on a nice run, but this might be the week to finally bench. Cleveland is expecting high winds for this Sunday. Could be similar to the Raiders and Browns game from two weeks ago where neither Carr or Mayfield pased for more than 150 yards. Personally, I think the decision is fairly easy. Passing game really gets thrown off with sustained winds over 25 mph with gusts upwards of 40mph. In that Browns game, leading WR for Cleveland was Landry with 4-52, and leader on the Raiders was Waller who went for 5-27. 

Anyone else staying away this week because of the weather?

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, LionKid90 said:

This guy has been on a nice run, but this might be the week to finally bench. Cleveland is expecting high winds for this Sunday. Could be similar to the Raiders and Browns game from two weeks ago where neither Carr or Mayfield pased for more than 150 yards. Personally, I think the decision is fairly easy. Passing game really gets thrown off with sustained winds over 25 mph with gusts upwards of 40mph. In that Browns game, leading WR for Cleveland was Landry with 4-52, and leader on the Raiders was Waller who went for 5-27. 

Anyone else staying away this week because of the weather?

I'm not going to lie, It's concerning for me as well. My hope is that by Sunday the forecast is different but I will still play him this week regardless (due to injuries and byes) and I remain optimistic.

I believe someone stated on here that he is running about 30% of his routes from the slot so he should get some short passes thrown his way which the wind shouldn't hinder. He has demonstrated a nice floor with at least 9 targets in four straight games. 

Also, David Johnson is looking doubtful to play. Duke Johnson has looked horrible running in relieve. I think the Texans will be forced to throw.

1 hour ago, gmoneypm said:

I'm not going to lie, It's concerning for me as well. My hope is that by Sunday the forecast is different but I will still play him this week regardless (due to injuries and byes) and I remain optimistic.

I believe someone stated on here that he is running about 30% of his routes from the slot so he should get some short passes thrown his way which the wind shouldn't hinder. He has demonstrated a nice floor with at least 9 targets in four straight games. 

Also, David Johnson is looking doubtful to play. Duke Johnson has looked horrible running in relieve. I think the Texans will be forced to throw.

If there are other WR3 guys you can play, I'd go with them. I just don't think the upside is there, and the floor is going to be really low. There have been two very windy games this season, the one I mentioned, and the Pats and Bills game from two weeks ago. In that game, Allen threw for 154 yards, and Newton threw for 174. I think we can all expect low passing yardage in this game if the weather forecast holds. If you can go with another WR3, I'd roll him out over Cooks. The wind is definitely something to worry about, possibly more than shadow coverage from an elite cornerback.

Severe Thunderstorm warning issued for Cleveland - I assume there is risk the game could get postponed or be curtailed if it starts:

https://www.weather.gov/wwamap/wwatxtget.php?cwa=cle&wwa=all

Severe Weather Statement
National Weather Service Cleveland OH
1246 PM EST Sun Nov 15 2020

OHC005-035-075-083-093-103-169-151830-
/O.CON.KCLE.SV.W.0155.000000T0000Z-201115T1830Z/
Cuyahoga OH-Medina OH-Ashland OH-Wayne OH-Lorain OH-Holmes OH-
Knox OH-
1246 PM EST Sun Nov 15 2020

...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 130 PM EST
FOR SOUTHWESTERN CUYAHOGA...MEDINA...ASHLAND...WAYNE...CENTRAL
LORAIN...WESTERN HOLMES AND EASTERN KNOX COUNTIES...

At 1244 PM EST, severe thunderstorms were located along a line
extending from 10 miles north of Avon Lake to 8 miles northwest of
Danville, moving east at 50 mph.

HAZARD...60 mph wind gusts.

SOURCE...Radar indicated.

IMPACT...Expect damage to trees and power lines.

Locations impacted include...
Cleveland, Lorain, Elyria, Medina, Wooster, Ashland, Millersburg,
Parma, Lakewood, Strongsville, Brunswick, Westlake, North Royalton,
North Ridgeville, Avon Lake, Wadsworth, Grafton, Rittman, Wellington
and Lodi.

Edited by nine9s
48 minutes ago, vthokie3 said:

Thoughts this week? Guess it depends if Gilmore plays

The overall WR rankings for this week are kinda down on him but I’ve seen him listed as must starts on Sports illustrated and CBS. 

Aside from the windy mess last week, he has been solid. Watson looks his way often.