NBC Sports Edge Forums

Brandin Cooks 2020 Outlook

5 minutes ago, Sivaro said:

I will drat Keke and Fuller later, and be much better off for it.

Avoid the hype train.  But...this does help the other wide outs because it will take attention off of them.

I agree with this depending on the draft disparity.  I can easily see them being very close to each other in terms of fantasy output.  

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Everyone will be chasing those points week and he will go 2/35

doesn’t kenny stills have 7 million in guaranteed money for 2020? and doesn’t randall cobb have 18.75 million in guaranteed money coming to him? randall cobb is the slot guy. keke is a "drop" in all b

Name checks out

He's just not a complete route runner or for whatever reason still hasn't been given consistent opportunity to be one. Throw in concussions and it looks like he's destined to be nothing more than a WR3 again.

I really wish we could see him function as a de-facto #1 for a team but I just don't think he's good enough.

39 minutes ago, Sivaro said:

Avoid the hype train.  But...this does help the other wide outs because it will take attention off of them.

I’ll give u Keke for free after the draft is over.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Sivaro said:

3 hours ago, K197040 said:

KeKe seems like the designated slot guy so I have no idea how this works out for Cooks.   My first reaction was "good for Watson".

doesn’t kenny stills have 7 million in guaranteed money for 2020? and doesn’t randall cobb have 18.75 million in guaranteed money coming to him? randall cobb is the slot guy. keke is a "drop" in all but the deepest dynasty leagues. 

2 hours ago, JE7HorseGod said:

What is the record for most WR injuries on a single team in a season anyway?

seems like in signing cooks (and the 8 million owed to him in 2020), and in the guaranteed $$$ to stills and cobb, and fuller's 10.162 million cap hit, the texans are literally BANKING on someone getting hurt. they have four well-paid WRs... bizarre. (and all four combined do not equal one nuk)

giphy.gif

Edited by Sack Exchange
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4
42 minutes ago, Sack Exchange said:

doesn’t kenny stills have 7 million in guaranteed money for 2020? and doesn’t randall cobb have 18.75 million in guaranteed money coming to him? randall cobb is the slot guy. keke is a "drop" in all but the deepest dynasty leagues. 

seems like in signing cooks (and the 8 million owed to him in 2020), and in the guaranteed $$$ to stills and cobb, and fuller's 10.162 million cap hit, the texans are literally BANKING on someone getting hurt. they have four well-paid WRs... bizarre. (and all four combined do not equal one nuk)

giphy.gif

You're right.  I forgot that Cobb was on the team now.   He actually looked good last season.    KeKe probably is irrelevant. 

On 4/10/2020 at 11:22 AM, sSektor said:

He's just not a complete route runner or for whatever reason still hasn't been given consistent opportunity to be one. Throw in concussions and it looks like he's destined to be nothing more than a WR3 again.

I really wish we could see him function as a de-facto #1 for a team but I just don't think he's good enough.

Cooks is a decent enough route runner. He’s been quite solid lining up outside and in the slot but at least with the Rams he was used more as a deep threat due to their personnel more than anything. He also had 4 consecutive 1,000 yard seasons. So he is good enough from a talent perspective.

Problem is he clearly isn’t capable from a health perspective. He’s not the only under sized WR in the NFL but dude is beyond fragile. That’s a bigger problem than route running because I’m sure coaches know that if they have him running slot routes across the middle it will get him killed. He doesn’t do well with contact in general and that includes making catches when there is a hit coming or in traffic.

So his ability to run routes isn’t the core issue. It’s not that he isn’t a good route runner as he’s been used across the formation his entire career. The problem is having him run a lot of routes you’d expect from a quick and agile guy won’t end well. So I suppose you can claim he doesn’t have a very diverse route tree but it’s not because he’s incapable of running routes. 

Edited by Gohawks
11 hours ago, Evincar said:

One of the easiest DND ever. Dude has been an underachieving bum his whole career and is a major injury concern.

4 of his 6 years in the NFL have been over 1000 yards with 5, 7, 8, and 9 tds in those seasons and had 3 different qbs and 3 different OCs. The only years he didn’t succeed were his rookie year and last years injury marred hellscape. His numbers are very similar to TY Hilton’s actually. 

Unless you had hopes of a top 5 WR I don’t think he underachieved at all. But he does have huge injury concerns.

Luck a$$ WR though. always gets good qbs and OCs

sean Payton and Drew brees

tom brady and mcdaniels 

jared Geoff and mcvay

now Watson. Imagine if Larry Fitzgerald was this lucky 

Edited by Stonej14
  • Like 3
23 hours ago, Stonej14 said:

4 of his 6 years in the NFL have been over 1000 yards with 5, 7, 8, and 9 tds in those seasons and had 3 different qbs and 3 different OCs. The only years he didn’t succeed were his rookie year and last years injury marred hellscape. His numbers are very similar to TY Hilton’s actually. 

Unless you had hopes of a top 5 WR I don’t think he underachieved at all. But he does have huge injury concerns.

Luck a$$ WR though. always gets good qbs and OCs

sean Payton and Drew brees

tom brady and mcdaniels 

jared Geoff and mcvay

now Watson. Imagine if Larry Fitzgerald was this lucky 

Thats what I was getting at. His career high statline is 84-1204-9 and thats with playing his whole career with the best QBs and coaches in the game. I dont see any appeal in drafting him. The Texans always have similar guys like Fuller and Stills on the roster. Another terrible BOB trade.

• Like 1
On 4/14/2020 at 4:15 AM, Evincar said:

One of the easiest DND ever. Dude has been an underachieving bum his whole career and is a major injury concern.

DND is relative to ADP.

Calling a dude a bum when he’s been putting up 1,000 yard seasons for must of his career is honestly laughable.

• Like 4

As I said earlier - HOU is a great spot for him to land and I will be very interested in him depending on where he goes. I don't think anyone here is arguing he's a guy that goes in the top two rounds of 12-team drafts, but I can see people grabbing him in the 3rd for a quality WR2. I would not be getting him in that scenario - I would consider him as a WR2 starting in the 4th round depending on what's left of the upper-tier players at the position. If he stays healthy that could be a very solid pick with him now teamed up with Watson/the clear #1 option (assuming BOB doesn't go BOB w/a WR w/his highest pick this year (Rd 2 #40)). They also have a #3, #4 and 3 #7s.

Cooks was not the #1 option in NO. He was not the #1 option in STL. He was not the #1 option in NE. "Everyone" maddeningly takes turns in those systems putting up big games. Hopkins gone leaves a tremendous amount of targets to gobble up and he is a precision route-runner. I can't think of a better place for him to go.

Could he get another concussion - yes, just like everyone else. All depends on your risk tolerance, and I think his ADP will have some of that perceived risk baked in.

• Like 4
  • 3 months later...
3 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

I think it's very interesting that Cooks and Fuller are ranked right next to each other.

Who are yall leaning?  Why?

I'm interested to know if the answers go any deeper than "injury concerns".

Cooks had 4 straight WR 14 or better finishes and was on is way to another last season through 4 games before suffering a concussion in the 5th game. That said I love both and if I draft with a top 4 pick I go Cooks in the 6th if there and Fuller in the 7th if there, if I have pick 5-12 I target Cooks in the 7th and Fuller in the 8th if possible. The reason I push them up when I have a top 4 pick is having a safe set and forget stud in either CMC, Saquon, Zeke or Kamara that I shoot for the moon, swing for the fences etc...and also the fact that is isn't likely to get both if you don't and is possible you get neither.

• Like 1

Got Cooks in the 8th round (12-team .5 PPR) as my WR2, which will probably be a revolving door in my lineup. He’s been productive except for last year & HOU will be chucking it a lot this year with a weak run game. I don’t think 70-900-6 is unreasonable for him to reach with Watson back there.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Agmaniacmike said:

If he's healthy, he will feast in this offense. Same goes for Fuller. If you have massive cojones, take both back to back because I think they both are in a great situation to produce high end WR2 type numbers.

Might look into grabbing Fuller and Cooks if I'm near a position to grab them both...then see how it shakes out. Could be awesome, could be catastrophic, but seems worth it. 

On 8/4/2020 at 2:03 PM, turner46 said:

Cooks had 4 straight WR 14 or better finishes and was on is way to another last season through 4 games before suffering a concussion in the 5th game. That said I love both and if I draft with a top 4 pick I go Cooks in the 6th if there and Fuller in the 7th if there, if I have pick 5-12 I target Cooks in the 7th and Fuller in the 8th if possible. The reason I push them up when I have a top 4 pick is having a safe set and forget stud in either CMC, Saquon, Zeke or Kamara that I shoot for the moon, swing for the fences etc...and also the fact that is isn't likely to get both if you don't and is possible you get neither.

Too many eggs in one basket for Top 8 Rd picks for me...

Watson goes down you are screwed

• 4 weeks later...

Ruh Roh :

Texans WR Brandin Cooks, after having his reps "carefully managed" throughout August, could be eased into the team's offensive game plan early in the season. 

The Athletic's Aaron Reiss raised the possibility of a slow start for Cooks, who didn't have anywhere close to the typical number of reps with QB Deshaun Watson during training camp. Cooks has struggled with concussions but said in August that he has "zero" concern about his brain injuries. Reiss said Watson and Cooks "met on their own during the offseason, but will those meetings and limited camp reps allow them to be productive right away?" Cooks is being drafted in the seventh round of 12-team leagues, over receivers like Jarvis Landry and Marvin Jones. 

SOURCE: The Athletic 
Sep 1, 2020, 10:00 AM ET
  •  

Edited by FreakFries
  • Thanks 3
23 minutes ago, FreakFries said:

Ruh Roh :

Texans WR Brandin Cooks, after having his reps "carefully managed" throughout August, could be eased into the team's offensive game plan early in the season. 

The Athletic's Aaron Reiss raised the possibility of a slow start for Cooks, who didn't have anywhere close to the typical number of reps with QB Deshaun Watson during training camp. Cooks has struggled with concussions but said in August that he has "zero" concern about his brain injuries. Reiss said Watson and Cooks "met on their own during the offseason, but will those meetings and limited camp reps allow them to be productive right away?" Cooks is being drafted in the seventh round of 12-team leagues, over receivers like Jarvis Landry and Marvin Jones. 

SOURCE: The Athletic 
Sep 1, 2020, 10:00 AM ET
  •  

Went 12th Rd in mine. Guys like John Brown, Anthony Miller, DJax, Justin Jefferson, Manny Sanders, Jeudy, Hardman range. All of those guys are similar, imo, either due to having a bad QB or being a rookie. So if The Athletic is correct, that's very odd that people would be reaching on him like that. He's more of a stash, wait and see what happens, guy just like most, not a 7/8 rd guy. We all know what is likely going to happen anyway.

Edited by FitzMagic
  • Like 1
18 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

Went 12th Rd in mine. Guys like John Brown, Anthony Miller, DJax, Justin Jefferson, Manny Sanders, Jeudy, Hardman range. All of those guys are similar, imo, either due to having a bad QB or being a rookie. So if The Athletic is correct, that's very odd that people would be reaching on him like that. He's more of a stash, wait and see what happens, guy just like most, not a 7/8 rd guy. We all know what is likely going to happen anyway.

I’ve been doing mock drafts on multiple sites all summer and I have never seen Cook go in the 12th let alone 10th. Then again I do 12 team mocks so maybe he does in 10 team leagues. 

Only a matter of time before Will Fuller tweaks an earlobe. How effective would Randel Cobb be as a #1? Worth a roster spot? 

• Like 1
Just now, FreakFries said:

I’ve been doing mock drafts on multiple sites all summer and I have never seen Cook go in the 12th let alone 10th. Then again I do 12 team mocks so maybe he does in 10 team leagues. 

Only a matter of time before Will Fuller tweaks an earlobe. How effective would Randel Cobb be as a #1? Worth a roster spot? 

Went in 12-team. I don't know what people are thinking. I mean, if he didn't have the head issue I'd say okay. But there are questions about that and then where he really fits. He's obviously the best talent outside of maybe Fuller. But that's a high price to pay for a guy with his issues. People like Fuller too in that same range so I guess it makes a little sense (7/8th rd). I don't know about Cobb. He's a wild card, since Deshaun has never had a reliable slot receiver. Cobb is definitely someone to watch. I want to say a healthy Fuller and Cooks would be more beneficial than both getting hurt.

• Like 1