NBC Sports Edge Forums

I'm having a lot of trouble evaluating Stanton and Sale this offseason. I believe Stanton is going to be great IF HE PLAYS. Definitely has 40 HR power no matter what ballpark or what type of ball is being used. I recently picked him up for pennies (Stanton and Ray for Reynolds and ERod) and am looking to flip him or Soler since I also have Julio. Sale confuses me as well because he still has the stuff to be dominant (K/9 and K/BB have been pretty stable), but will he hold up until mid 2021? What are your thoughts on these two players?

16 Team H2H Categories (Keep 14)

I was offered Stanton, Reynaldo Lopez, and 16th rounder (think Segura/Tanaka) for Woodruff, Sale, and 23rd rounder (dart throws on relievers or prospects who are 2+ yrs away).

I do have lots of RF depth and could certainly use some help pitching (SP1 - Montas, SP2 - Ray), but it still feels off value-wise. Other owner is dead set on Stanton after I made him available.

You got stanton/ray for pennies?

Reynolds and erod are better

Miami mike was great in miami.

The park doesnt matter.

Its playing in front of 40,000 every night.

Playing in front of lots of media.

Playing, where every game matters.

NY POST, NY talk radio.

Mike is out of his league there

Woodruff is a top 25 sp

That is worth gold

55 minutes ago, HOOTIE said:

You got stanton/ray for pennies?

Reynolds and erod are better

Miami mike was great in miami.

The park doesnt matter.

Its playing in front of 40,000 every night.

Playing in front of lots of media.

Playing, where every game matters.

NY POST, NY talk radio.

Mike is out of his league there

Woodruff is a top 25 sp

That is worth gold

I hardly think Stanton is the next coming of Arod from a choke perspective.  Stanton's problems are two-fold imo.  One he can't stay on the field and is brittle as glass.  Whatever is going on with the Yankees' training staff with no flexibility and muscle bound outfielders that pull a muscle the minute they do something out of the ordinary needs to be addressed because both Stanton and Judge seem to me prone to the same affliction there. 

The other issue is that stupid extreme closed stance he has used for the past couple of years.  Basically he can be pitched inside hard and thrown breaking balls breaking way off the plate that he goes fishing for a lot since the stance is basically set up for him to crush balls on the outer half and he is looking for balls outside or on the outer part of the plate.  He has refused to adjust since changing to that stance and until he does he will be extremely susceptible to long cold streaks when his pitch recognition is not good and he goes chasing that breaking stuff away imo. 

4 hours ago, rufflemaster said:

I'm having a lot of trouble evaluating Stanton and Sale this offseason. I believe Stanton is going to be great IF HE PLAYS. Definitely has 40 HR power no matter what ballpark or what type of ball is being used. I recently picked him up for pennies (Stanton and Ray for Reynolds and ERod) and am looking to flip him or Soler since I also have Julio. Sale confuses me as well because he still has the stuff to be dominant (K/9 and K/BB have been pretty stable), but will he hold up until mid 2021? What are your thoughts on these two players?

16 Team H2H Categories (Keep 14)

I was offered Stanton, Reynaldo Lopez, and 16th rounder (think Segura/Tanaka) for Woodruff, Sale, and 23rd rounder (dart throws on relievers or prospects who are 2+ yrs away).

I do have lots of RF depth and could certainly use some help pitching (SP1 - Montas, SP2 - Ray), but it still feels off value-wise. Other owner is dead set on Stanton after I made him available.

I would take that trade in a heartbeat 

3 hours ago, secretagentman said:

I hardly think Stanton is the next coming of Arod from a choke perspective.  

Arod as a NYY

.900 ops

ALCS almost 1.000

WS almost 1.000

Stanton at home as a NYY .229 BA

You are looking at Kenny Roger's, ed whitson, again.

I dont get the love for Stanton?

I can get mark canha to go 28 hrs 80 rbis.

In 10 years, stanton has hit 40 hrs once.

In 5 of the 10, he hit less then 30.

7 of the 10, less then 90 runs.

7 of the 10, less then 90 rbis.

Hes 30 now. Hes going to be even more sustainable to injuries, then before.

And Woodruff is easily top 30.

The wisdom of the crowds, 39 experts, have him ranked 25th.

Edited by HOOTIE
Added comment
  • Like 1

Honestly not a fan of the offer.

The trade is basically Stanton, Lopez, and your 2nd pick after keepers for Woodruff since Sale has to have TJs (which means your wasting a roster spot on a guy that will do nothing for you this year and will be a massive question mark when comes to picking keepers next year) and the pick is just a gamble.

I disagree. No one would even consider paying Bryan Reynolds or ERod 300 million. But by the true virtue of them staying on the field more often, I guess? I have faith that the Yankees will stay healthier this year as they added a new director of player health. I think Stanton is declining and will never be able to hit 59 HRs again, but even with a broken approach, he'll still hit 40.

Segura wasn't even an option...it was just a draft pick comp since leagues vary.

Another concern that I have with Woodruff is that he's going from Grandal to Narvaez. Narvaez really wasn't given much to work with on the Mariners but he's still a below average catcher: https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/catcher_framing?year=2019&team=&min=q&sort=4,1 . And Woodruff sucked with Pina (see early 2018).

I'm kinda starving for pitching so I do like the structure of the deal, but I'm not sure if it's me being impulsive. Right now I have Montas Ray Mize. Woodruff Sale would put me over the top next year. Besides Ray, all of them are SP2 with potential for even more.

It's tough to come along good pitching. I could also save that 2nd pick to target Houser or Keller but Sale is on a whole different level than these guys.

16 hours ago, HOOTIE said:

Arod as a NYY

.900 ops

ALCS almost 1.000

WS almost 1.000

This. 

I like this move. This shortened season is going to reward aggressive owners. While the details aren't set yet, I can't think of a player who would benefit more from the concept than someone like Stanton. Placing the Yankees in a division with Phillies, Jays, Tigers and Pirates and let Stanton lock in at DH in a bunch of small parks? Oh and there's no media around to bother everyone. Every argument people make against Stanton is subverted by the short season, so I think he's a worthy gamble. You're also right on Woodruff losing Grandal and the Brewers staff in general being scary; no telling what Sale is next year, and so its a good move.

Thanks for help on mine. I trust modern medicine hopefully Stanton finds a program that works long term for his outlook. That said some players just can not adapt/adjust. since u have made the trade I wish u luck.

On 4/11/2020 at 11:04 PM, HOOTIE said:

Arod as a NYY

.900 ops

ALCS almost 1.000

WS almost 1.000

Arod's performance in the 2005-2012 playoffs excluding Minnesota playoff games (Minn can not beat the Yanks in a post-season series if their lives depended on it and had weak pitching for the most part) and the 2009 post-season (where for whatever reason he decided to show up) stands for itself as the pinnacle of choke-itis imo.  There was a reason people called him the best 3 run homer hitter with a 5 run lead lol.

I have no love for Stanton...wish they never made the deal.  But he is far from being as totally and completely worthless as Arod who along with being near useless in a meaningful game was a roider and a habitual liar who was nothing but a disease in the clubhouse imo.  He can try to rehab his rep all he wants as a broadcaster, it does not change the fact that he was suspended for a year, sued baseball over it (and lost) and in the end was basically the height of hypocrisy imo.

As to Stanton, personally I would not draft him anywhere near the first 5 rounds, but that is mostly because at this stage of his career he is too brittle and too streaky.  You could get round 1 or 2 production from him if he stays healthy, but the likelihood of that is not worth the price at this point.  He is usually better left to let someone else pay a high price and take on that risk imo. 

• Like 1

I’ve owned Stanton since he was good old fashioned Mike Stanton in varying leagues. When he missed substantial chunks of the season, I was able to find the Adam Dunn’s and Max Kepler’s of the world to replace him. Without missing a beat I might add. This year he was a borderline keep 10 for me. I reluctantly decided to cut bait with Mike and replace him with a Luis Robert/Muncy combination. Love Max’s position eligibility. Don’t look for Stanton to play every inning of every game, short season notwithstanding. He’ll get pinch run for late, and defensive replacement late when he does play the OF. 

• Like 1