Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Leonard Fournette 2020 Outlook


dewaser
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, FantasyGeek2018 said:

12 carries a week in TB splitting time for 50 yards a week. 5 td's for the season. Enjoy

You think he would sign a contract with playing time and yardage incentives if he wasnt assured he would get the ball? He explicitly said he wanted to go to a team that wouod make him the bellcow.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bruce Arians does like to use one back on all three downs, primarily.

That said, the offense is pretty complicated.  Is Fournette going to be able to learn the playbook, all the formations, all the calls, all the different check downs hot reads, etc in less than two weeks?

Pass protection involves blocking ability but it also requires knowledge of assignments, rules, checks, audibles, and adjustments.  Have we seen any evidence that this player is smart enough to get it all down quickly?

One blown pass pro assignment could lead to disaster for Fournette and for Tampa.  I think the Fournette signing might look good on paper but what it really shows is that the team actually does not have a viable plan at running back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Bruce Arians does like to use one back on all three downs, primarily.

That said, the offense is pretty complicated.  Is Fournette going to be able to learn the playbook, all the formations, all the calls, all the different check downs hot reads, etc in less than two weeks?

Pass protection involves blocking ability but it also requires knowledge of assignments, rules, checks, audibles, and adjustments.  Have we seen any evidence that this player is smart enough to get it all down quickly?

One blown pass pro assignment could lead to disaster for Fournette and for Tampa.  I think the Fournette signing might look good on paper but what it really shows is that the team actually does not have a viable plan at running back.

All very good points and is obviously being overlooked by all the hyperbole in this thread. I don’t 100% agree with the last sentence. They might have been pleased with the RB situation and then a more talented player became available and why not add him, be patient, and by the time Playoffs roll along you improved your team for really nothing and in return. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

They claimed their plan was to make Ronald Jones the guy.  That was always transparently ludicrous.  Now they pick up a cast-off from Jacksonville.  Jacksonville!  With less than two weeks before the opener.

This is not going to work out well.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Bruce Arians does like to use one back on all three downs, primarily.

That said, the offense is pretty complicated.  Is Fournette going to be able to learn the playbook, all the formations, all the calls, all the different check downs hot reads, etc in less than two weeks?

Pass protection involves blocking ability but it also requires knowledge of assignments, rules, checks, audibles, and adjustments.  Have we seen any evidence that this player is smart enough to get it all down quickly?

One blown pass pro assignment could lead to disaster for Fournette and for Tampa.  I think the Fournette signing might look good on paper but what it really shows is that the team actually does not have a viable plan at running back.

Just remember no stack boxes defenses won’t be able to key on LF. Spread offense Evans, Godwin three TE sets blocking pulling guard LF is going to run wild and damn I see him being aka James White ... LF will be the McCafferty of 2019. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Bruce Arians does like to use one back on all three downs, primarily.

That said, the offense is pretty complicated.  Is Fournette going to be able to learn the playbook, all the formations, all the calls, all the different check downs hot reads, etc in less than two weeks?

Pass protection involves blocking ability but it also requires knowledge of assignments, rules, checks, audibles, and adjustments.  Have we seen any evidence that this player is smart enough to get it all down quickly?

One blown pass pro assignment could lead to disaster for Fournette and for Tampa.  I think the Fournette signing might look good on paper but what it really shows is that the team actually does not have a viable plan at running back.

It's going to be a disaster. He's not good in pass protection. Although I have RoJo, I'm a Bucs fan first and I am not feeling good about this at all. Hopefully I'm wrong though, but Fournette at the pro level has not been impressive for where he was selected. Look at all of the pro bowlers that went after him. The guy has not made one Pro Bowl.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, n4sa said:

They are nothing alike lol. Fournette is bigger, faster, and stronger and also a better pass blocker and arguably a better pass catcher. Fournette's situation was much different than Ronald Jones last season. Those stats mean very little to me, Fournette had 100 more rushing attempts and 60 more targets last season compared to RJ.

You are right. Fournette is different. He was drafted in the 1st round and his draft class is littered with actual elite RBs that are way better than him.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I feel much more comfortable drafting Tampa Bay LF27 than I did Jacksonville LF27 under Jay Gruden.

 

This guy was dead to me, but has no risen from the ashes.

 

Now I just have to figure out the appropriate pricing to justify him.  I still don't see last year's volume, but I do expect an offense that scores almost 2x the points that the abysmal Jags scored last year which should obviously increase his TD numbers and thus increase his value.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Fried Pork Grind said:

Bottom line on this entire saga: Rojo's value has dropped tremendously,  Fournette has a higher ceiling now (much higher) and a lower floor. 

Not sure Fournette has a higher ceiling since he was a bell cow in Jax. Maybe for TD's, but not touches.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Fried Pork Grind said:

All very good points and is obviously being overlooked by all the hyperbole in this thread. I don’t 100% agree with the last sentence. They might have been pleased with the RB situation and then a more talented player became available and why not add him, be patient, and by the time Playoffs roll along you improved your team for really nothing and in return. 

 

They weren't - that's key.  Arians did everything he could to not start Jones, drafted a rookie early-ish in the draft and have McCoy who will be cut.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, ponchsox said:

Not sure Fournette has a higher ceiling since he was a bell cow in Jax. Maybe for TD's, but not touches.

I make that claim based on the fact that I don't think Fournette in JAX can have a better season then last year. His situation in Jax is a backup QB as your starter, no elite talent on offense, a franchise that is intentionally trying to loose, and facing a stacked box every week until your team is down 3 scores and has to throw. Now what if Rojo goes down? Fournette is a legit RB1 once he understands the system, thus a much higher ceiling. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, ponchsox said:

McCoy still in the picture, ugly 3 headed RBBC

You may be right but not with McCoy, I will be surprised if he doesnt get cut. 

He doesn't get to suit up in the Superbowl on a team with his old coach? I would not worry about McCoys touches. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Duckbutter said:

You may be right but not with McCoy, I will be surprised if he doesnt get cut. 

He doesn't get to suit up in the Superbowl on a team with his old coach? I would not worry about McCoys touches. 

 

 

McCoy is not getting cut. It says he is going to be the 3rd down back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

I feel much more comfortable drafting Tampa Bay LF27 than I did Jacksonville LF27 under Jay Gruden.

 

This guy was dead to me, but has no risen from the ashes.

 

Now I just have to figure out the appropriate pricing to justify him.  I still don't see last year's volume, but I do expect an offense that scores almost 2x the points that the abysmal Jags scored last year which should obviously increase his TD numbers and thus increase his value.

I'd personally think somewhere between 80-100 overall.  The backs in that range seem to me to be all in murky committees, have talent and name value, but could potentially be cut material for your fantasy team and aren't guys that you're counting on week in week out baring catastrophe.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...